• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins Box Art + New screens released [Up: Blackgate Art]

Malvingt2

Out of curiosity, does the eShop support any kind of DLC code redemption? That would explain it right there if it doesn't, so someone should tell Nintendo to get on that.

you got me there, I don't have any idea about that..

Maybe the reason why Capcom is offering their DLC free until June 18th?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've just finishd City on the Wiiu. really liked it, can't wait for more gothic badass free roaming

Is it possible that Nintendo doesn't allow DLC to be given away for free? Incredibly stupid, I know, but it fits with some of their other DLC policies.

Neo Child

Banned
shot_7d1kqe.jpg

yeah, thats definately gunna kill him

andthebeatgoeson

Probably just will let you play as the Joker in the 2nd campaign for Wii U.

Why is being a Wii U owner such a 2nd class citizen thing? Oh wait, sales suck. Nvm.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
No mention of Deathstroke for Wii U and it's missing from the box.

SwoNkDp.png

I feel for my Wii U bros, but not seeing GFWL branding on the PC has me willing to check this out after being screwed over by a gamesave bug in Arkham city.

Ridley327

Is it possible that Nintendo doesn't allow DLC to be given away for free? Incredibly stupid, I know, but it fits with some of their other DLC policies.

Nintendo themselves have given away free DLC, to say nothing of MH3U's free DLC (albeit disc unlocks, but free is free!).

I really do think that there's no eShop infrastructure to support DLC at this time, which would also explain why it doesn't have any season or online passes.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
New preview

Batman: Arkham Origins is a Blast From the Past

A slew of new Batman: Arkham Origins previews have gone live today. Some information is a rehash of already-known details from the initial Game Informer cover story, but there’s some new information as well.

We’ve rounded up new and old tidbits from IGN’s preview below.

- Begins on Christmas Eve
- Joker’s “present” is a series of explosives tied to a nearby building
- Batman is disarmed and stunned by Bane, so he can only watch as Joker detonates his trap
- Batman is more primal and vicious in this game
- Fighting style is raw and undefined
- Enemies are younger and more vibrant
- Batman’s armor style comes closer to what is shown in Christopher Nolan’s films than anything in previous games
- Black Mask hires eight assassins to kill Batman
- Deathstroke and Deadshot are among those hired
- Police, led by Commissioner Loeb, will pursue Batman and attempt to detain him
- Grappling, gliding, perching atop gargoyles, ambushing thugs, and maneuvering around Gotham works as it always has
- Combat system is back in full force
- Tracking system helps players assess the efficiency of their combat
- This is entirely informational
- Experience points flow into a branching upgrade system
- Gain points by chaining hits into lengthy combos
- New enemy types including the martial artist thug
- This enemy type requires back-and-forth combos until the criminal makes a mistake
- Side quests are back in a significant way, both through a radio scanner that helps track criminal activity, and a ‘Most Wanted System’
- Most Wanted System: hunt villains like Anarchy, who have stories and motivations that are separate from the main Black Mask thread
- Warner Bros. not saying how significant Joker’s role is
- Detective Mode concept is back
- It can now be used to track observations and discoveries, allowing players to ‘scrub through’ a crime as it occurred in the past, discovering where more evidence might be
- When an assassin’s bullet disables a police helicopter causing it to crash, Batman is able to deduce that a nearby SWAT sniper wasn’t responsible – tracing the source of the bullet to what was likely Deadshot
- By scrubbing through different evidence in different places, Batman assembles the truth piece by piece, allowing him to move to his next target
- Fast-travel system
- Remote Claw: attach to two points or enemies and pull them together

http://gamingeverything.com/48068/batman-arkham-origins-details/

Nintendo themselves have given away free DLC, to say nothing of MH3U's free DLC (albeit disc unlocks, but free is free!).

I really do think that there's no eShop infrastructure to support DLC at this time, which would also explain why it doesn't have any season or online passes.

Let me rephrase that: is it possible that Nintendo doesn't allow paid DLC to be given away for free? It fits with their Wii-era ban on DLC bundling, which might actually still be in place (no season pass in AC3, and I don't believe Theatrhythm had any discounted bundles). I mean, this is a system that didn't support paid DLC at all on launch day, which speaks volumes about how little Nintendo cares about it or understands its importance to third parties in the current market.

And can someone who owns a Wii U sum up how paid DLC currently works in the few games that support it? Does it still have to be downloaded from the eShop rather than within the game?

Forkball

No ugly DLC sticker on the Wii U box makes it the definitive version from an artistic standpoint. And isn't that what really matters?

I really enjoyed both Arkham games so I can't wait for this one, even though prequels don't get me excited. AC ended on such a crazy note that I really wanted to see what would happen afterwards, but I guess that's for another year.

Carbonox

So Bane's in as well. A younger Bane with a more TDKR appearance? ... trolololol

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller Bane like in the film (complete with swag jumper), as opposed to the hulk of the comics.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So Bane's in as well. A younger Bane with a more TDKR appearance? ... trolololol

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller Bane like in the film (complete with swag jumper), as opposed to the hulk of the comics.

Bane's venom was in Arkham Asylum. He'll probably be the size of a regular henchman and then bulk up to be ridiculously huge.

Ridley327

Let me rephrase that: is it possible that Nintendo doesn't allow paid DLC to be given away for free? It fits with their Wii-era ban on DLC bundling, which might actually still be in place (no season pass in AC3, and I don't believe Theatrhythm had any discounted bundles).

And can someone who owns a Wii U sum up how paid DLC currently works in the few games that support it? Does it still have to be downloaded from the eShop rather than within the game?

Considering that RE:R is having an exclusive campaign on the Wii U in which the first bit of DLC is being given away for free for a couple of weeks, I don't think that's the issue.

The bundle ban is also inaccurate, as Guitar Hero and Rock Band did eventually get track packs available for download, in addition to singles.

Sn4ke_911

Hands-on: Batman: Arkham Origins puts detective back in Detective Comics

There are also new voices for some familiar characters in the game. Roger Craig Smith, who voiced Ezio Auditore in the Assassin's Creed games, is now the voice of Batman, an off-putting change for fans accustomed to Kevin Conroy's version of the character (though Conroy will apparently be involved in the game in some other capacity). The Joker is now being played by Troy Baker, just off his lead performance on Bioshock Infinite and doing an excellent impression of Mark Hamill's familiar and creepy take on the character. The story they'll be presenting focuses on eight Batman villains getting together to take out that Dark Knight on Christmas Eve, and has been inspired by the Legends of the Dark Knight series of comics, according to the creators, but it was hard to gauge much of that from the short demo we were shown.

While we'd be more than satisfied with a new Arkham game that just offered more of the same stuff we loved from the first two titles, the new features and changes in Origins have us really excited for the direction the series is taking under its new developer.

Baker you magnificent bastard. He did it again.

D-e-f-

Banned

Rayman Legends has pre-order DLC on Wii U so ...

Btw, what are their "other DLC policies"?

edit: saw your other post

Considering that RE:R is having an exclusive campaign on the Wii U in which the first bit of DLC is being given away for free for a couple of weeks, I don't think that's the issue.

Hmm, guess you're right. Nintendo isn't blameless in this, but I suppose this falls more into the self-fulfilling prophecy category.

Ridley327

Hmm, guess you're right. Nintendo isn't blameless in this, but I suppose this falls more into the self-fulfilling prophecy category.

Oh, trust me, I don't think Nintendo quite gets it yet, either, but they're just a few years behind on this one and not decades, as they often are. ;)

Sn4ke_911

Who's the guy with tape/bandages over his nose/eye?

EDIT: Holy shit, next to him in the riot gear, is that Bad Cop from Batman: Dead to Rights?

Hm.. Calendar Man? probably not.

Holy fuck!

Top Bottom