• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins Box Art + New screens released [Up: Blackgate Art]

It's called PC version.

So here's what we're seeing. These shots are probably all posed manually. Not taken from gameplay, but rather a snapshot of action that they set up in an editor. The scene is manually lit so that everything looks just right and shiny in all the right places. These screens aren't likely to be what you'd see from dynamic scene lighting. Circumstances are just too perfect. Asset quality (textures and whatnot) probably won't ship this detailed, either. And on top of all that, promotional shots like this are usually post edited\color corrected\etc etc in Photoshop.

Pretty much standard industry practice nowadays. I wouldn't trust a single screenshot unless it's posted by someone playing the game who's not trying to promote it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'll admit to being sceptical at first, but I'm getting more and more convinced this is going to be good.

And Black Mask is the main villain. He's like, my second favourite villain (behind Hush.)

He's a pretty good villain. It seems like there's been 2 interpretations of him: The Crimelord/mob boss ala Penguin, or Sadistic Torturer killer (Wargames and his Catwoman history). Wonder if they'll go into the latter.

Is that the Court of Owls?

If they go that recent, wow.

D-e-f-

Banned
So here's what we're seeing. These shots are probably all posed manually. Not taken from gameplay, but rather a snapshot of action that they set up in an editor. The scene is manually lit so that everything looks just right and shiny in all the right places. These screens aren't likely to be what you'd see from dynamic scene lighting. Circumstances are just too perfect. Asset quality (textures and whatnot) probably won't ship this detailed, either. And on top of all that, promotional shots like this are usually post edited\color corrected\etc etc in Photoshop.

Pretty much standard industry practice nowadays. I wouldn't trust a single screenshot unless it's posted by someone playing the game who's not trying to promote it.

All fair and well, but can you say for sure the PC version won't look this good on max settings and maybe with some downsampling on top? If this were a console-only game (no matter what platform), I'd call bullshot right along with anyone but I don't really doubt that it will look this nice on PC. Though that these pics are scenes composed in some editor or taken from cutscenes is no surprise to me.

Meelow

Banned
The italian version has it.

941286_658283737520564_1079828393_n.jpg

Weird, I guess this means maybe the other box art wasn't finalized yet.

All fair and well, but can you say for sure the PC version won't look this good on max settings and maybe with some downsampling on top? If this were a console-only game (no matter what platform), I'd call bullshot right along with anyone but I don't really doubt that it will look this nice on PC. Though that these pics are scenes composed in some editor or taken from cutscenes is no surprise to me.

I don't think the actual lighting will compare shipped PC version. It's still Unreal Engine 3. Arkham City is is probably the best use case for the engine to date, and I don't think it's lighting ever looked that good. Even In Duncan Harris' screens, the lighting comes off as a bit bland.

Sure we can get aliasing looking that good (I downsample from 4K in every game and post way too much in the bullshots thread), but yeah. The textures just look too perfect and the lighting is definitely BS.

We'll know for sure when we get a hold of the game and see for ourselves, but I'm not expecting it to look like those screens, and you probably shouldn't either. Better to go in with lower expectations :p

Sober

Batman's had enough of this shit, straight up Punisher time
I want another Punisher game, too bad it'll end up being "just another third person cover shooter" somehow. :(

Someone should pre-emptively riddle the box art with pre-order/GOTY bullshit for laughs.

Damn, Joker looks amazing. So much better than the model used in the Asylum and City.

I hope he animates well.

They made big improvements with the character animations in Arkham City's prerendered cutscenes (I think they were prerendered, they looked a lot better than in-game, could have still been in-engine at least), but the Joker always just animated really poorly. Really poor motion capture or something.

Same thing with the Riddler. Even though his videos were meant to be jerky and poor quality, you could still see the bad animation and lip syncing during them.

This is one of my most anticipated games right now. I just replayed Arkham City and I still love that game so much. The feel of the combat is just perfect and it has some of the most fun stealth I've ever played in a video game. More of the same (or even better if this takes advantage of next gen) and I will be a happy, happy man.

I hope Catwoman and Harley are in to counterbalance the awful lot of broskis.

I kind of hope they aren't. Don't get me wrong, I like both characters a lot. But Arkham City almost gave me ear cancer by trying to set some kind of world record for number of uses of the word "bitch." Maybe this time they'll take the C-word for a spin. Ugh. I mean, I don't have a problem with profanity, but the dialog in City really rubbed me the wrong way.

D-e-f-

Banned
We'll know for sure when we get a hold of the game and see for ourselves, but I'm not expecting it to look like those screens, and you probably shouldn't either. Better to go in with lower expectations :p

I don't put too much stock into screenshots and cinematic trailers anyway. Gameplay demos is where it's at (preferably actual hands on demos lol ... Colonial Marines says hi hahah).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Batman has an extensive gallery of bad guys... Why would you want Harley AGAIN?

At least with Joker it's kind of like 'yeah of course he's in it. He's the Joker' though complaining about the Joker in City seems odd considering he was barely in it.

I hope Catwoman and Harley are in to counterbalance the awful lot of broskis.

Really want Catwoman again, favorite part of City.
Talia needs to return.
Barbara Batgirl should be in around this point.

have Huntress & Batwoman as DLC characters for the challenge rooms.
even if they aren't remotely mentioned in the story.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Because I'm a fan?

You have people wanting a Cassandra Cain game and I can't want Harley?

You already have Harley. Twice. Three times with InJustice. And what kind of Origin story would it be if Joker already has Harley. Talia has only been in one Batman game and BARELY at that. She's also a much more plot significant character than Harley. Lady Shiva would also fit in much better to the premise they're setting here with assassins/mercenaries. A three way fight with her and Batman and Deathstroke, for example, could be really cool.

People want Cassandra Cain in every Bat thread to ever exist. There's some weird idea that she would be way awesome because she's not as popular as Barbara. She wouldn't make timeline sense for this game either, but I'd still rather see her as someone new than Harley again.

Top Bottom