• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Besty Devos splits Senate with 50/50 vote, VP Pence confirms nomation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escargo

Devos wasn't even trying for her hearing because she probably knew she was already in. System is so fucked up .

My wife is a fresh public school teacher.

This is the worst news I could have possibly gotten. We're trying to buy a house this year.

God fucking damnit. I hope she gets thrown out of office or resigns due to the hype she receives.

All this election has taught me was that it can be bought.

Fuck off Devos.

Kthulhu

I am not super clued in but isn't she against unions and for charter schools, vouchers etc..? Why does GAF hate her, the unions thing?

While this doesn't apply to all charter schools, most of them are inferior to public schools, and the voucher is a corporate giveaway.

Not to mention she is anti Union as you mentioned, and she's spent her life trying to sabotage the public education system.

C4FIWwYXUAMqhFr.jpg

I hope they enjoyed spending every ounce of their political capital pushing dragging this dead corpse across the finish line, because man, they're starting at absolute rock bottom.

I think people are going to be disappointed in the general public's reaction to whatever Devos does. A lot of people just do not care about public education, including many parents. Even in well-funded districts with active parent networks, it is very hard to gather enough political will in a community to defend or make positive change in public schools.

And this problem is much more pronounced on the national level. Consider: No Child Left Behind was a disaster, teachers hated it, kids hated it, parents hated it, took damn near a decade and a half to be rid of it (and we still aren't entirely rid of it).

I'm hoping to be surprised.

D i Z

The American people deserve every bit of this. She'll make sure they stay stupid to continue voting for Republicans. Can't wait for the Teacher Union hate once this administration starts really burning Public Education to the ground.

It's shit like this that is so trying sometimes. We're talking about children. Not the voting block. If you want to roll around in some schadenfreude, then look for the misfortune to hit these appointees, not the populous.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Time for teachers to do a protest. I feel bad for the kids that need educated and the parent's that don't believe she should have been elected to this position, but a full out protest needs to nip this in the bud.

If charter schools actually had to follow guidelines across the board it would be a bit easier to swallow the voucher system. Womp Womp...

The fact that this vote had to take Pence to happen shows that the pick was trash to begin with.

Armaros

This is how the cowardly GOP are going to do it, have one or two dissenters and let pence be the deciding vote.

Out right filthy cowards of the highest order.

My only hope is that Suburbia Teacher USA is pissed off enough over this to rethink some of the decisions they made being hardcore conservatives and actively voting against their best interests and the interests of their students.

If charter schools actually had to follow guidelines across the board it would be a bit easier to swallow the voucher system. Womp Womp...

The fact that this vote had to take Pence to happen shows that the pick was trash to begin with.
They like charter schools because they make rich people money abd break teacher unions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom