• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biden disses Clinton: ‘I never thought she was a great candidate. I thought I was...'

yep. I'm gonna be very upset if it's bernie and biden. would show that the D's learned absolutely nothing.

All I can think of for dems who are young, charismatic, well spoken, and sexy are Pete Buttiegg and Kamala Harris.

Tulsi Gabbard and Corey Booker would just alienate people whether it being through corporate ties or history of virulent Islamophobia.

Maxim726X

Look i voted for hillary, but I definitely am not a fan of her, and I really am not looking to cause a dust up debate on hillary because it's been had ad nauseam during the election and amidst the fallout of trump unfortunately winning. I don't hate everything she does, but this particular exchange felt extremely awkward to me.

Well, that's your problem then.

She didn't fabricate her love of hot sauce to win over black voters, or whatever heinous plan you think she concocted.

She fucking eats her food with hot sauce because she likes it. No ulterior motive required.

Abelard

Ridiculous sexist comment. Par for the course to dismiss the accomplishments of a woman and instead essentially attribute them to her husband, though.

He's not wrong though, has Hillary ever won a heated competition in her life? A lot of her experience and opportunities come because of her connections, that not a sexist comment just like its not ludicrousness to say the only reason George W. Bush became president (or rather, even had the opportunity to become one) was because of who is daddy was.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well, that's your problem then.

She didn't fabricate her love of hot sauce to win over black voters, or whatever heinous plan you think she concocted.

She fucking eats her food with hot sauce because she likes it. No ulterior motive required.

"are you plandering because we have a black audience"

"is it working"

poor sense of humor, bad look, extremely uncomfortable and awkward.

I know that. You know that. But I was never able to successfully explain this to any Bernie partisan who wanted to use it as an excuse to hate Hillary.

Sorry, I couldn't tell that you already knew that. My bad.

Still you should save that URL for the next time you see Sanders fans try that line again.

All I can think of for dems who are young, charismatic, well spoken, and sexy are Pete Buttiegg and Kamala Harris.

Tulsi Gabbard and Corey Booker would just alienate people whether it being through corporate ties or history of virulent Islamophobia.

What about Cortez-Masto, who would have the added benefit of having inherited Harry Reid's political campaign machine?

And we still will have use a place for older politicians on the ticket: VP Slot. Just not Biden or Bernie old but more like Al Franken old.

gcubed

The problem is we have a vacuum in the media that is on overdrive for Trump stories... and with a government controlled top to bottom by the GOP none of these people can't get any air to make a name for themselves.

They will field someone in 2020, but the Dems were woefully unprepared with fresh faces

DonShula

Gabbard and Booker should still run. Need some also-rans to prepare the nominee. Appreciate the wheat next to the chaff, or some such.

In the event this isn't sarcasm, what the Democrats need is an anti-establishment candidate. A candidate like Jim Webb would murder base enthusiasm in it's crib and he'd be easily painted as a puppet of donors, as he'd need to rely on PAC money to compete with the GOP. If the Dems end up with an establishment candidate, at least pick someone with charisma, as much as I don't like him, Cory Booker would be a better choice than Jim Webb, and he's centrist/leans right (lol the government ought not negotiate down drug prices on those poor poor pharma companies!) on everything other than social issues.
I agree with your points. While Jim Webb may not be anything close to a liberal's ideal candidate, owning the White House is better than not.

jimwebb.jpg

james_webb_vietnam.jpg

Jim Webb could have ran a tough campaign against Trump. He could call him a draft dodging pussy if he wanted to. Far right, military, etc. would have loved Jim Webb over Trump. Of couse, Webb would have to pander to military contractors and all that due to running a pro military campaign which would have turned off some of the Dem base. Still. Webb would have beaten the shit out of Trump in the general, maybe even literally.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

We need a candidate, not a perfect one, but someone who can actually run. At the end, it's clear they need charisma, because it seems like only the left fights themselves over corporate ties and such. The candidate needs the energy to get someone out there to want to vote for them.

Same issue happened with Clinton twice. She was expected to win by a landslide in 2008 and Obama was expected to get 10-15% of the vote. He won. Sanders wasn't even expected to get double digits of the vote. He ended up with 43%. She is a void of personality to actually excite people.

I'm not sure Biden would have been much of a candidate either. The Right hated Obama and basically equated Clinton with him. Biden is a even closer tie. Fuck though, the guys been VP for 8 years now, and all I really know about him is that his son died, and he likes to touch women. I... really don't think that would have gone over well this year.

i can see the political commercials with a puppet Biden on strings with a darkened Obama-like figure looming over him, fingers menacingly curled

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Oh God. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone seriously talk about Jim "kill a man" Webb. hahahaaha

Biden:

-Was against "forced busing."
-Didn't call witnesses who would have provided additional evidence that Anita Hill was sexually harassed
-More moderate than Hillary on every issue
-Represented a state that has more shell companies than people.

He would have gotten fucking destroyed in the primary.

Seventy70

Watching the way he handled Ryan in one of the debates, I have no doubt he would have decimated Trump. He was exactly what was needed this election; someone who could talk straight and get their hands dirty.

besada

Banned
Oh God. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone seriously talk about Jim "kill a man" Webb. hahahaaha

Yeah, it's a bizarre choice. Pretty much no one likes Webb. He's an asshole, and has been throughout his history. He's a stiff-necked boor who rubs everyone he knows the wrong way. There's not a political player that doesn't have a story about what an asshole he is. The base would never accept him.

Yeah, it's a bizarre choice. Pretty much no one likes Webb. He's an asshole, and has been throughout his history. He's a stiff-necked boor who rubs everyone he knows the wrong way. There's not a political player that doesn't have a story about what an asshole he is. The base would never accept him.

Certified. Badass.

UXzFq0U.jpg

Anyways, no more Jim Webb posts for me. I would have voted for him and I believe he would have destroyed Trump.

Deepwater

Biden:

-Was against "forced busing."
-Didn't call witnesses who would have provided additional evidence that Anita Hill was sexually harassed
-More moderate than Hillary on every issue
-Represented a state that has more shell companies than people.

He would have gotten fucking destroyed in the primary.

You forgot the most important thing in that he's not a Clinton or a woman. Not to mention the vice president in a very popular Presidency.

Biden would have swept the field and eaten everybody's lunch.

Which was documented fact. Unless you're saying that Hillary Clinton planted a news story so that 20 years later she could exploit it for "urban appeal" in her Presidential bid?

If Hillary was capable of half of the devious, Machiavellian shit she's been accused of she should have been automatically made President, because she's already capable of controlling the world and foreseeing the future.

"is it working"

For who? They're all laughing with her at her joke.

It's funny because in that same show they joke about how she's damned if she shows personality and damned if she doesn't.

(also Charlamagne actually jokes that people will mistake it as pandering.)

Certified. Badass.

UXzFq0U.jpg

Between that and Chafee's "it was my first day," that was a hell of an awkward debate. O'Malley was there, too. I think. Who could say.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I think Sanders backers would have had just as much distaste for him
Nah. As long as it wasnt a weak candidate who will forever live in the shadows of her husband, former president. Biden would've gotten the nod and support from the disillusioned supporters who voted for trump

And who's fault is that.

It's not anyone's fault. His son died. He was in no position to run for office.

And yes, Diamond Joe would have been the far easier candidate to run and would have bodied Donald in every debate. Infinitely more charismatic than Hillary or Donald...and we know it's a popularity contest to those "independents" anyway.

NandoGip

For who? They're all laughing with her at her joke.

It's funny because in that same show they joke about how she's damned if she shows personality and damned if she doesn't.

(also Charlamagne actually jokes that people will mistake it as pandering.)

Between that and Chafee's "it was my first day," that was a hell of an awkward debate. O'Malley was there, too. I think. Who could say.

Dude Chafee's performance might have been one of the most genuinely funny things ive witnessed in politics

Biden's right, of course. He would have beaten Trump, but he couldn't have beaten Hillary in the primary.

I'm on board for Biden running in 2020. I think it's going to be a battle for the nomination, though. If Joe wins, he'd do right to pick a young, popular VP like Kamala Harris and set her up for a future run.

I believe Joe wasn't really allowed to run. I was reading a book that the Obamas kept him from even talking with potential donors. Hillary was chosen by the party heads before he even had a chance. I think it was a book about the 2012 election. That or one about the bailout. Those are the only two I really read about the subject. The line about his son is just a public facing excuse.

I believe the book was Double Down.

I'm wary of phrasing it this way because of the baggage attached to the phrase and potential purity test accusations, but Jim Webb is effectively the embodiment of "Democrat in name only." Might as well just suggest a Republican.

Dude Chafee's performance might have been one of the most genuinely funny things ive witnessed in politics
I'm pretty sure O'Malley was there as well.

While I liked Chafee as a person, I just couldn't see him as President. I did like O'Malley though, and I also think O'Malley would have beaten Trump in the general.

Elandyll

Banned
I thought Booker performed splendidly at the convention last year, but I just read his story with Phrma subs and drug importation bill.

Fuck him.

I just don't buy he chose not to run because of his son. Everything he's said since the election to me makes it pretty clear he was explicitly told to not run

Regardless of whether or not he would have won the primary we should have had the option. I never want to see the DNC clear the field because they "don't want a tough primary".

pantsmith

Just get a young, attractive Dem to emasculate Trump/Pence and capture the hearts and minds of the generation thats going to inherit this shithole.

I was totally okay with Hillary, thought she was easily one of the most qualified candidates we've ever had, but at this point we need politicians with actual charisma and the ability to pitch a positive future (*cough* Bernie)

He's not wrong though, has Hillary ever won a heated competition in her life? A lot of her experience and opportunities come because of her connections, that not a sexist comment just like its not ludicrousness to say the only reason George W. Bush became president (or rather, even had the opportunity to become one) was because of who is daddy was.

It absolutely is a sexist comment to suggest that she's only gotten where she is because of her (married) name. Unless you're talking about her maiden name, but I don't see how she would have been helped much by the name Rodham.

royalan

"is it working"

This is ridiculous.

Nothing exhibits the ass-backwards double standards Hillary had to slug through last year more than hot sauce gate.

Even Charlemagne called the fallout stupid on his show the next day, and he did the interview.

Top Bottom