• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

dduAd.png

Developer: Arc System Works
Publisher: Arc System Works | Aksys Games | Zen United
Genre: 2D Fighting
Ratings: CERO C | ESRB T
Release date: July 1, 2010 [JP] | July 27, 2010 [NA] | December 2010 [EU]
Price: ¥7,140 | $39.99 USD
JP Site | NA Site | Euro Site

Arc System Works’ second entry into the BlazBlue franchise took arcades by storm this past November. Now, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is finally making its way to home consoles with more characters, more music, and new content!

Screenshots:

Limited Edition:
tvWkn.png

Exclusive to the Japanese release is the BBCS Limited Edition Box Set (¥9,660).
Included in the limited edition box set are:
• A replica recording script
• An exclusive Art of BlazBlue artbook
• Exclusive disc label artwork
• Noel Vermilion Nendoroid petit figure

Europe will also received a "Fan Edition" containing exclusive content.
Euro LE includes:
• 96-page Art book
• 8 art cards featuring character movesets
• Makoto DLC voucher
• Limited Edition art print by Alvin Lee
• Noel Vermilion Nendoroid petit figure

5R6dz.png

North American gamers won’t have limited edition of the game available when it hits shelves, but if it’s any consolation there is an exclusive BlazBlue-branded Madcatz Fightstick TE. Individually numbered and imited to only 3000 units (1500 per console), this is truly a collector’s item for any BB fan.
Aksys Store | Amazon (PS3 version) | Amazon (360 version)

New Characters:
ioEwE.png

• Hazama – Total renaissance man. Intelligence agency captain, possible Michael Jackson impersonator, and total demonic ghost.
• Tsubaki Yayoi – NOL graduate. Introduced as an NPC in BBCT. Fights with a weapon that manipulates light.
• μ-12 – Apparently Noel Vermilion’s true form is a robot that can blow up the world. Neat.
• Λ-11 – She’s ν-13 except less broken. Apparently they needed a plot reason and new character to explain this.
• Makoto Nanaya [DLC] – Introduced as Noel’s Librarium classmate in BBCT’s story mode, this tonfa-weilding squirrel-person will become the first DLC character.
• Valkenhayn Hellsing[DLC] – Introduced as Rachel's butler in CT, Valkenhayn makes his playable debut in BBCS.
• Platinum The Trinity [DLC] – Schizophrenic. Has the personalities of a mean girl, a nice boy, and the one of the six heroes. Also looks like an Arcana Heart character.

New Game Modes and Features:
• Beginner Mode - Hooray for accessibility! Beginner mode won’t actually remove any of the numerous meters or gauges, but assists new players with a simplified control scheme so they can enjoy the game right away and even learn fundamentals without becoming encumbered by technical inputs.​
• Tutorial Mode – Learn the mechanics unique to BlazBlue Continuum Shift​
• Challenge Mode – Learn fancy combos and complete missions with specific goals to master your character’s offense.​
• Legion Mode – New to a console version of BlazBlue, the formerly PSP-exclusive Legion mode. Defeat armies of increasingly difficult AI opponents in a “team battle”-type scenario.​
• Arcade Update! - As Producer Toshimichi Mori promised, BBCS has received a free patch giving it parity with the current arcade release, Blazblue Continuum Shift II. Check out Aksys' press release here

Returning Game Modes - Every mode from the console release of Calamity Trigger will return, including:
• Story Mode – Continues the plot of BBCT with now familiar dramatic mode.
• Arcade Mode – Conversion of the arcade release BlazBlue Continuum Shift.
• Online Versus – Arc System Works’ rock-solid netcode makes its return with lobby support for player matches.
• Practice Mode – As the name suggests, this mode allows the player to practice with numerous customizable variables.
• Score Attack Mode - Survival mode in which you accumulate points by fighting CPU opponents until you die (or beat them all).​

Videos:
Japanese TV spot
Aksys Debut Trailer
Challenge Mode demo
Unlimited Characters Teaser
Noel and Tsubaki's voice actors face off

Reviews:
  • 1UP: A
    All in all, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift provides a seamless fighting game experience by offering excellent Tutorial and Training Modes to help you learn your character before testing their skills in the game's near-flawless online mode. With a diverse and larger balanced character roster than the previous game, DLC characters, and potential balance patches on the way from ARC System Works, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is a solid addition to the BlazBlue series.​
  • IGN: 8.5
    I especially encourage gamers that have never tried BlazBlue to pick this up -- it's an excellent fighting game that shouldn't be missed.​
  • Joystiq: 4/5
    With a price tag of $39.99, there isn't much I can complain about here. For established players, the additional characters will likely be the main draw, but Continuum Shift's greatest strength lies in its ability to teach newcomers the ropes through its wealth of applicable tutorials that go way beyond what I've seen in other fighters.​
  • Gamespot: 8/10
    New characters, modes, and gameplay refinements make Continuum Shift the best version of this great 2D fighting game.​
  • GamesRadar: 9/10
    Continuum Shift improves on Calamity Trigger in every way, and it's undoubtedly one of the best fighting games available; it oozes style, incorporates some truly radical ideas into its gameplay and sports a level of polish not always seen in fighting games.​

Achievement/Trophy Lists:
360 | PS3

Online Meetup/Matchmaking:
Official BBCS Matchmaking Thread

In-depth strategy and match-up discussion:
Dustloop
BBForum
SRK

Miscellaneous Goodness
The glorious and incomparable BlazBlue Calamity Trigger thread by ZealousD
Aksys BBCS Console FAQ

My most anticipated game for the remainder of the year, can't wait. It should be able to tear me away from SSF4, at least for a little while. :D

The Makoto/Nu DLC is really lame, but I guess I can let it slide since the game is only $40 to begin with.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Glorious. This thread shall be my new home for the next month.

iconoclast said:
My most anticipated game for the remainder of the year, can't wait. It should be able to tear me away from SSF4, at least for a little while. :D

The Makoto/Nu DLC is really lame, but I guess I can let it slide since the game is only $40 to begin with.

I'm pretty sure Nu isn't DLC. She's included as the unlimited version of Lambda.

luka said:
Glorious. This thread shall be my new home for the next month.

I'm pretty sure Nu isn't DLC. She's included as the unlimited version of Lambda.

Oh I see. I thought Nu and Makoto were a DLC pack. At least she's an Unlimited alt...

Cool another character, even if it's paid. Now I gotta bug my friends to get it, so we can do some 1v1 matches and some shit talking again lol. Squirrel girl huh? Heh.

Netto-kun

Good thing I pre-ordered the limited edition (PS3) 2 months ago. Didn't realize that Amazon had bumped up the price with 5000 yen until I read this thread.:lol

Varion

Grabbing the US version day 1 just did like I did for Calamity Trigger, wheee.

I'd be tempted to get the Japanese version if it wasn't literally double the price when converted to local currency :lol £26 vs £53, oh yeah.

Sielys

Hm with this coming out so soon, do you guys think it'd be a good idea to get calamity trigger now? Somehow I never got around to buying it :/

Sielys said:
Hm with this coming out so soon, do you guys think it'd be a good idea to get calamity trigger now? Somehow I never got around to buying it :/
atone and get CS day 1!
all will be forgiven

LowParry

So what's everyone picking this up on? I'm kinda leaning towards 360 this time around though I've played more on the PS3.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I really wanted them to release a SE of this game, liked the original one too. But it seems I will have to deal with it. =/

Varion

Sielys said:
Anyone know if CS includes CT's story mode? If so, depends how cheap you can get it. If no, just wait.

Day 1 for me most definitely.

A shame that it's not getting the worldwide release treatment this time but I can hold out for a month.

I'm gonna get Makoto as well. Underboob and skimpy May outfit has me sold. Still wondering who else is gonna be DLC though? I guess we'll find out one the JP version hits and people take story mode for a spin.

CcrooK said:
So what's everyone picking this up on? I'm kinda leaning towards 360 this time around though I've played more on the PS3.
At that price I might double-dip!
I have the PS3 version preordered though.

Varion said:
Anyone know if CS includes CT's story mode? If so, depends how cheap you can get it. If no, just wait.
CS's Story is a continuation of CT's
There might be information to catch a newcomer up, but I don't think CT's story mode is included

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
//Whine mode

So they include 4 characters (one of them basically a reskin) and already plan to add a paid DLC character to an anemic game. Sorry I am too used to having 35 fighters these days, so.... meh. I know... varied, 2d, etc... but I still feel empty.

// Off

At least it's $40! Awesome music (best part of BB aside from HD sprites!). Best netcode of any fighting game. Of course I am gonna buy this :D . 360 here! =P

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The DLC thing actually kinda sucks. Since i'm most likely going import a asian version of the game. Going be hard buying the DLC unless i import a network card.>_>

I'm up for another round.
:D :D :D

Also, how are the video recordings going to work this time around?

I wish there were an easier way to upload your videos onto youtube or to at least share them. I read a bit on GT5 and it seems that they are doing something like that.
CcrooK said:
I'm definitely going the 360 route again. I could only wish for cross-console gameplay. The audience would be absolutely massive.

Lucentto

Banned
I can't wait to play this. I'm interested in playing Tsubaki, she looks interesting. I will probably get the PS3 version since I got it for the 360 last time. Does anyone know if there are plans of a stream when the Japanese version comes out?

LowParry

Lucentto said:
I can't wait to play this. I'm interested in playing Tsubaki, she looks interesting. I will probably get the PS3 version since I got it for the 360 last time. Does anyone know if there are plans of a stream when the Japanese version comes out?

She's hot. :D

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I traded away my original BlazBlue on goozex, but I saw from the PC leak that Carl has a projectile now, so I'll probably pick this up :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nice thread! I'm definitely getting this on day 1, but it's brutal how it's coming out the same day as StarCraft 2. Sorry guys, my heart's for SC2 first and foremost. =X

CcrooK said:

They're exactly the same. Get whichever version contains more of your friends are getting or you have the more appropriate controller/stick for.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
CcrooK said:

I'm going to import the 360 version next week and then pick up the domestic PS3 version at release. I tend to double-dip on fighters, and with this game, I could use the (almost) month-long headstart to get back into BB and be prepared when the game hits the States.

If Arc is really serious about the whole re-balancing patch thing, I will be all over this game for a long, long time. What made me quit playing Calamity Trigger was the awful character balance. It probably didn't help that I was using bottom-tier Iron Tager either. :lol

Top Bottom