• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

Nymerio

It's been a while since WoR, but wasn't Jasnah's status still unknown throughout the book or did she return and I've forgotten? I always thought she was presumed dead.

Faiz

It's been a while since WoR, but wasn't Jasnah's status still unknown throughout the book or did she return and I've forgotten? I always thought she was presumed dead.
Yes she returned in the Epilogue, and Hoid was there waiting for her

Faiz

Veelk

Banned
Wait, we're talking covers right? Whelan's been doing that well before WoT even started.

Well, maybe they are. I'm talking just...basic style in every sense of the world. I think Sanderson writes similar to Jordan, composes his stories to meet the same kinds of goals, and wants to have similar looking covers to what WoT had. The guy is pretty open about his idolization of the series, and while he obviously doesn't want to just be seen as Jordan 2.0 (and he definitely isn't), it's clear where a lot of his influences came from.

Though those similarities just might stand out to be a bit more than for others since I read Stormlight Archives right after Wheel of Time.

Woorloog

Banned
Nice cover.
Though somewhat oddly, i'm not excited. Not exactly... I have no right word for the feeling, i think.
You see, the problem is that i devour the book in 2-3 days and then it is a multiple year wait again...

Faiz

Nice cover.
Though somewhat oddly, i'm not excited. Not exactly... I have no right word for the feeling, i think.
You see, the problem is that i devour the book in 2-3 days and then it is a multiple year wait again...

This used to be me... with the way life is for the foreseeable future I'll likely take a month to finish it :/

Gang, I finished The Well of Ascension and I was blown away. Typical amazing last quarter of the book that you literally can't put down.

While The Stormlight Archive is still my fav, Mistborn is inching closer!

zroid

Banned
I would love some day for there to be a graphic novel adaptation of Mistborn. I think the style of action would be extremely well suited to the medium.

88random

I just finished Words of Radiance and holy shit, I'm so glad I had read Warbreaker before it.

"Would you like to destroy some evil today?"

Szeth was already a monster with the honorblade and the inferior type of surgebinding, but now he will be on a whole new level.

Pocks

Is there a recap available as a primer to Edgedancer? I finished the first chapter, and it seems that I forget most of Lift's story. Any resources or personal insight would be appreciated.

Veelk

Banned
Is there a recap available as a primer to Edgedancer? I finished the first chapter, and it seems that I forget most of Lift's story. Any resources or personal insight would be appreciated.

In her chapter, she met up with this dude that was one of those Rule Nazi characters. Like, it doesn't matter what rule you broke, as long as you did, you had to die. Similarly, doesn't matter how bad a person he thinks you are, if you are within rules, you can go.

So basically what happened was that she was with this one dude and trying to rob a rich person's place. Turns out that place was where they were trying to decide their new king. They had a special system of doing it, but nobody wanted to be king because the Assassin in White was offing all of them.

Anyway, Rule Nazi kills one of her partners when they get caught, who is kind of a dumb but good hearted character. Except he was only mostly dead, so Lift uses her powers to breathe some life into him. The politicians present take it as a sign that he is the Chosen One or some shit, so they make him king, and he immediately writes a pardon for lift from all her crimes, so Rule Nazi can't kill her now.

Now, as of Edgedancer, she's chasing after Rule Nazi to another city to do something with him.

That's about my general memory of it.

Pocks

In her chapter, she met up with this dude that was one of those Rule Nazi characters. Like, it doesn't matter what rule you broke, as long as you did, you had to die. Similarly, doesn't matter how bad a person he thinks you are, if you are within rules, you can go.

So basically what happened was that she was with this one dude and trying to rob a rich person's place. Turns out that place was where they were trying to decide their new king. They had a special system of doing it, but nobody wanted to be king because the Assassin in White was offing all of them.

Anyway, Rule Nazi kills one of her partners when they get caught, who is kind of a dumb but good hearted character. Except he was only mostly dead, so Lift uses her powers to breathe some life into him. The politicians present take it as a sign that he is the Chosen One or some shit, so they make him king, and he immediately writes a pardon for lift from all her crimes, so Rule Nazi can't kill her now.

Now, as of Edgedancer, she's chasing after Rule Nazi to another city to do something with him.

That's about my general memory of it.

Wonderful! That did a great job of jogging my memory. Thank you kindly!

Woorloog

Banned
Well, this is a surprise. Lift has the exact same reason for hating dreams as i do. Never expected my sentiment getting expressed anywhere, most people seem to think dreams awesome.

EDIT Also poking through Theoryland interview databases. Some stuff leave me like "WTF, what the hell people have figured out". And some stuff is like "this is kinda obvious in hindsight".

So this question and answer about Roshar, spoiler tagging this just in case though it does not contain any real spoilers, just Cosmerelogical (cosmological) stuff.

MASON WHEELER
OK. Now, the Weeping that happens each year on Roshar, does that occur each time when the 3 moons are in a particular alignment?
BRANDON SANDERSON
no, it's more related to the planet's orbital position than the moons' position.

Basically, when does the year change on Roshar.

Remember how each Cosmere world has the Red Rip (Taln's Scar on Roshar IIRC) visible somewhere on their sky? I'm thinking if you draw a line from the start to the Red Rip, the Weeping happens when the planet crosses the line...

hamchan

Finally finished Bands of Mourning. lol wat at the very end.

Guess I have to read the Secret History now.

Also Steris is the best.

ChrisSTARR

Neo Member
Finished listening to Arcanum Unbound, some seriously good things there. My favorite was Edgedancer, and Secret History was a bit of a let down.

Edgedancer, Storm light spoilers:
Lift is finally cool, I'll admit it. She seems a little overpowered, being able to turn food into Storm light. Darkness having a change of heart was a welcome twist, hopefully he plays a bigger role in Oathbringer. Also, I realize now that Szeth is seriously neutered without surge binding but I'm excited to see what he can do with Nightblood

Mistborn Secret History:
I don't like Kelsier as much after reading this. He seems too selfish to be likable anymore. He goes through so much trouble to stay around and meddle in the world he should have moved in from. Sanderson is playing favorites I guess, and it kind of undermines some of the first mistborn trilogy.

Woorloog

Banned
Mistborn Secret History:
I don't like Kelsier as much after reading this. He seems too selfish to be likable anymore. He goes through so much trouble to stay around and meddle in the world he should have moved in from. Sanderson is playing favorites I guess, and it kind of undermines some of the first mistborn trilogy.

Undermines? More like it explains some oddities. As for Kelsier being selfish, he has been that from the very beginning really. Sure, he does accomplish some good while at it, but his motives were never pure. Indeed, i believe his friends called him out on it. And should he have moved on? I don't think so, getting killed by immortal somewhat insane demi-god is a bit unfair. He chose to be a ghost, which seems to be a lesser form of immortality compared to other methods and people that exist in Cosmere, should those people move on?
As for him being a favorite, Sanderson basically implied Kelsier being still "alive" very long time ago, his survival was always planned. Mistborn annotations more or less reveal he was responsible for stuff even before Secret History was written, i don't think long-term planning counts as "playing favorites". Now, if Sanderson had done an ass pull and just randomly added Kelsier back to the series, that would be playing favorites.

Strimei

Indeed, i believe his friends called him out on it.

Yup. I'm rereading Mistborn and
they do call him out on things, as does his brother.

Also, Bands of Mourning spoilers,
his meddling helped save a LOT of people down south and likely helped give Scadrial the tech jump it really needed since it kinda started stagnating.

zroid

Banned
I just finished Words of Radiance and holy shit, I'm so glad I had read Warbreaker before it.

"Would you like to destroy some evil today?"

Szeth was already a monster with the honorblade and the inferior type of surgebinding, but now he will be on a whole new level.
I shat bricks when I read that scene

I guess that explains why he kept talking about Nightblood being "very important" in the Warbreaker annotations

the warbreaker sequel is gonna be lit

zroid

Banned
Further on the topic of Warbreaker and Words of Radiance:

I did not pick up on Zahel being Vasher at all. Even after Nightblood showed up. Looking back at some of his dialogue and his Interlude, I definitely see the clues, but I don't think it was that obvious... to me anyway.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the story of how he ended up on Roshar, kind of in the vein of Mistborn Secret History, but I don't suppose that will come till at least a couple full blown Warbreaker sequels are written.

Strimei

Further on the topic of Warbreaker and Words of Radiance:

I did not pick up on Zahel being Vasher at all. Even after Nightblood showed up. Looking back at some of his dialogue and his Interlude, I definitely see the clues, but I don't think it was that obvious... to me anyway.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the story of how he ended up on Roshar, kind of in the vein of Mistborn Secret History, but I don't suppose that will come till at least a couple full blown Warbreaker sequels are written.

Yeah,
its a really well hidden thing. Also didn't pick up that one of the guys searching for Hoid at the Purelake is Demoux from Scadrial.

Also, got an atium question. I'm doing a reread of Mistborn and I just finished the first book.
I reached the point where Kelsier goes to destroy the Pits of Hathsin and he mentions again how using allomancy near the geodes will destroy them. So why is it that atium beads are perfectly fine to carry on one's own body, totally immune to allomancy? Wouldn't they be destroyed too?

Woorloog

Banned
Also, got an atium question. I'm doing a reread of Mistborn and I just finished the first book.
I reached the point where Kelsier goes to destroy the Pits of Hathsin and he mentions again how using allomancy near the geodes will destroy them. So why is it that atium beads are perfectly fine to carry on one's own body, totally immune to allomancy? Wouldn't they be destroyed too?
Complicated explanation that makes sense to me but may or may not be accurate to Sanderson's thinking.
Atium beads and geodes are different things.
First something to note: Atium is actually a natural metal (or alloy) that is Spiritually/Cognitively modified to be godmetal, ie it is made from normal atoms (per Sanderson, somewhere several years ago). Metals don't react to Allomancy by shattering or anything like that, and atium is no different in this regard.
I have no idea what kind of geode would slowly grow a metal bead realistically, since they don't actually do that anyway as far as i know (they only grow crystal inside, which atium geodes do, the metal bead is extra in their case). I assume atium geodes are natural Invested things (they're a Shardpool after all) that somehow draw metal from ground around them and condense and modify them into a godmetal bead.
I would assume Allomancy somehow resonates with this process. Do remember atium is Ruin's metal and therefore created by Ruin's power, and Allomancy is Preservation's power so they're fundamentally opposed. Something about releasing Allomantic energy near the geodes disrupts the process, possibly at Spiritual realm, causing them to break. (Remember how Vin had to remove her earring because it felt like burning when she waded in Preservation's pool? Similar effect though not exactly the same one since there are differences between Scadrial's Shards' power distribution and manifestation (like how Allomancy and Hemalurgy are not direct opposites except by being end-positive and end-negative respectively when it comes to magic output).)

EDIT TL,DR:
Atium geodes are geodes Invested with Ruin's power, and this power is opposite of Allomancy, resonates explosively.

zroid

Banned
Yeah,
its a really well hidden thing. Also didn't pick up that one of the guys searching for Hoid at the Purelake is Demoux from Scadrial.

lol I heard about that being Demoux, seems so out of nowhere. I recognized one of those dudes as a Dula from Sel (which was very cool) although since he used a different name I didn't assume it was Galladon.

Woorloog

Banned
Demoux:
He did "marry" (Scadrial doesn't have marriages per se during that time) a Terriswoman, and Terris are likely somewhat Cosmere-aware. Between Demoux being relatively close to Vin and Sazed (and therefore close to Shardic powers), him becoming a worldhopper is actually pretty plausible.

zroid

Banned
Demoux:
He did "marry" (Scadrial doesn't have marriages per se during that time) a Terriswoman, and Terris are likely somewhat Cosmere-aware. Between Demoux being relatively close to Vin and Sazed (and therefore close to Shardic powers), him becoming a worldhopper is actually pretty plausible.

Who knows, maybe Kelsier is involved lol

Woorloog

Banned
Who knows, maybe Kelsier is involved lol

I wonder. The 17th Shard (of which Demoux is part) is non-interventionist/anti-Shard faction. Kelsier is decidedly interventionist, and i can't say i'd call him anti-Shard per se (especially with Sazed around) though i wouldn't count on him as an ally either.
That said, Demoux trying to seek Kelsier or his spirit or something like that, and this leading him to worldhopping and 17th Shard i can believe.

EDIT
Ironically, Kelsier is very much like Hoid in a way. They despise each other... i figure they recognize too much of themselves in the other or something like this.

zroid

Banned
I wonder. The 17th Shard (of which Demoux is part) is non-interventionist/anti-Shard faction. Kelsier is decidedly interventionist, and i can't say i'd call him anti-Shard per se (especially with Sazed around) though i wouldn't count on him as an ally either.
That said, Demoux trying to seek Kelsier or his spirit or something like that, and this leading him to worldhopping and 17th Shard i can believe.

EDIT
Ironically, Kelsier is very much like Hoid in a way. They despise each other... i figure they recognize too much of themselves in the other or something like this.

That's a good point though I didn't necessarily mean Kelsier recruited him (that is to say... not again :p)

perhaps Kelsier made him Cosmere-aware somehow; knowing Kelsier he would probably have been trying to use his loyalty to some end. They could've had a falling out or something.

danthefan

Decided to try the audiobook of The Way of Kings. I've never listened to an audiobook before, didn't expect a large cast, music, sound effects etc. Really enjoying it.

zroid

Banned
Decided to try the audiobook of The Way of Kings. I've never listened to an audiobook before, didn't expect a large cast, music, sound effects etc. Really enjoying it.

The Graphic Audio one right? I've been pretty impressed with what I've heard of those.

Top Bottom