• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

i mean yeah, just didn't know *when*

all good, i am at the halfway point in book 1 with no signs of slowing down

IMO, The Final Empire should be viewed as an individual, separate story arch. You could easily read it as a standalone.

Books 2 and 3 are a really big change in terms of pacing and tone—which is also the problem that I and a couple of others had with them. I kind of wish I'd been told going in what a departure the second and third books were going to be, so I could have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Woorloog

Banned
IMO, The Final Empire should be viewed as an individual, separate story arch. You could easily read it as a standalone.

Books 2 and 3 are a really big change in terms of pacing and tone—which is also the problem that I and a couple of others had with them. I kind of wish I'd been told going in what a departure the second and third books are, so I could have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

I like Mistborn trilogy but man, i never liked how books 2 and 3 lost the heist aspect. Though arguably even book 1 downplays that a lot pretty quickly...
Sanderson even notes this in the annotations, that heist films like Ocean's Eleven were an inspiration but that he also downplayed this aspect right away.

Kaladin

Making my way through Elantris, got through the slog that is the final third of part one. Shocked that
Hrathen became an Elantrian
. That was an out of left field moment. I hope I'm through the usual Sanderson slow down bits that plague all of his work.

Strimei

Making my way through Elantris, got through the slog that is the final third of part one. Shocked that
Hrathen became an Elantrian
. That was an out of left field moment. I hope I'm through the usual Sanderson slow down bits that plague all of his work.

Elantris gets better as it goes along, I feel, though it is still kinda rough. Makes sense, its one of his first works, if memory serves.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It is his first, though I'm even reading off the edited 10th anniversary edition and it's still rough.

"Rough" is being generous ;) I think his older works are still worth reading, but you can definitely see how much he's grown as an author over the years.

Kaladin

"Rough" is being generous ;) I think his older works are still worth reading, but you can definitely see how much he's grown as an author over the years.

I agree, and I am enjoying Elantris. All the hallmarks of a good Sanderson novel are there, great world building, interesting magic system, intriguing characters. Going to enjoy finishing it.

Woorloog

Banned
Elantris is worth reading for Hrathren (or however that was spelled) alone. Probably one of Sanderson's best characters... and the contrast is painful compared to the other POV characters in Elantris.

Quonny

I'm listening to WoK and I can barely remember Shallan. In terms of audiobooks it's been 9 hours playback since she's even been mentioned (outside of a
'who's drawing this piece of art?'
callout) and there have been two new PoVs since then.

Quonny

WoK: Wew just got to the part where Dalinar saved
Sadeus

Man this is picking up quick after a somewhat slow start.

Woorloog

Banned
I like the cast of the Stormlight Archive for most part.
The king is something of a loser but still an interesting character: what makes him what he is?

Kaladin being about the only exception, he spends too much time angsting, not inaccurate description of a character with depression but it isn't terribly interesting to read (Sanderson did this with Sazed once already) and i don't really need any more depression in my life. And he is a bit too much of a generic hero.
I like good (in moral sense) characters in fiction but Kaladin kinda lacks anything distinguishing, he is just a standard paladin.

Can confirm, Kal is about 90% garbage. He's good for... three things: the last fight in WoK, the duel, and that one bit where he got all doctor-y with Renarin. That was fun.

Oh, and he has Syl, who is great.

I like Kaladin. He's probably my favorite character. His story is slow and painful but I feel like it makes sense given what he's been through and is going through. And the payoff is WELL worth it. I understand why people dislike him though. Dalinar, I feel, is a much more traditional character and I enjoy him gor that as well but I feel like Kaladin has the much more interesting arc ahead of him.

Strimei

I like Kaladin as well, he's a good depiction of depression and the fear of losing more. He's become better too as time goes on.

Personally I'm more annoyed by Shallan *blushes* Davar, myself (though that's not much, really. She's gotten better too).

causan

Halfway through Arcanum Unbound and I have enjoyed every story so far. I think I might push through finishing Elantris now that I know some of the ending spoilers. The
Kelsier
stories have been my favorite so far,
it was awesome to see what was going on in the background in the last two era 1 MB books.
And just finishing the White Sands story has gotten me to purchase the graphic novel collection on Amazon/comiXology.

rexor0717

Just finished the first Mistborn trilogy. So good! I'm going to take a bit of time before moving on to the next one. I'm pretty excited to hear there will be a lot more Mistborn in the future.

Strimei

Just finished the first Mistborn trilogy. So good! I'm going to take a bit of time before moving on to the next one. I'm pretty excited to hear there will be a lot more Mistborn in the future.

It gets better from here, too, I feel. I mean I enjoyed the first trilogy but I also had some problems with it.

I feel that the Wax & Wayne era is leagues better.

Kaladin

Just finished Elantris. It's a good first book, IMO. Did not expect some of those reveals and turns.

Not my favorite Sanderson, but still good stuff.

Quonny

Way of Kings:

Something's gonna happen between Dalinar and Kaladin. Just got to the part where Dalinar agreed to use
the bridge crews. Kaladin does not believe in light-eyes and Dalinar is what he aspires to be. Also the latest vision talks of Honorspren. That's what Syl is, I bet.

Gonna be interesting.

Woorloog

Banned
Way of Kings:

Something's gonna happen between Dalinar and Kaladin. Just got to the part where Dalinar agreed to use
the bridge crews. Kaladin does not believe in light-eyes and Dalinar is what he aspires to be. Also the latest vision talks of Honorspren. That's what Syl is, I bet.

Gonna be interesting.

Interesting analysis.

Really, i find it interesting to see how others read and interpret books. Personally i tend to read fast, absorb a lot of stuff but i don't notice connections or make assumptions whether something is connected, etc.. I focus on the present, so to speak. I'm often surprised by some things afterwards.

Quonny

Interesting analysis.

Really, i find it interesting to see how others read and interpret books. Personally i tend to read fast, absorb a lot of stuff but i don't notice connections or make assumptions whether something is connected, etc.. I focus on the present, so to speak. I'm often surprised by some things afterwards.

I usually plow through books but I'm doing something different with WoK.

I'm listening to it on audiobook but only while I workout on the elliptical at the gym. This gives me a good amount of down time between chapters to think.

I really want to continue, but by doing it this way it's forcing me to work out. It's like a treat for going to work out.

I liked the Villain for Alloy of Law but that's about all I liked from it. Shadows of Self so far is a bit of a slog as well. Hopefully it picks up. This era probably just isn't for me admittedly.

Quonny

WoK:

hoooooooooooooo

leeeeeeeeeeeeee

shittttttttttttttt

Sadeus betraying Dalinar.
Kaladin saving Dalinar.
Kaladin going super saiyan.
Dalinar saving the bridgemen giving up Oathbringer.
Dalinar kicking the shit out of Elhokar.
Dalinar: 'oh by the way im fucking ur mom lol'

Dalinar is GOAT

WoK:

hoooooooooooooo

leeeeeeeeeeeeee

shittttttttttttttt

Kaladin saving Dalinar.

Dalinar is GOAT

You're goddamn right he is.

And to date, that Kaladin holding the bridge fight is still my favorite combat scene in the series. Possibly in Sanderson's entire works.

DieH@rd

Banned
WoK:

hoooooooooooooo

leeeeeeeeeeeeee

shittttttttttttttt

Kaladin saving Dalinar.

Dalinar is GOAT

And shit gets really real in WoR. :)

Quonny

Finished Way of Kings.

It only took the whole book for Shallan's story to get interesting.

Also wtf
Taravangian.

Kaladin

Sanderson takes his time to get there with his doorstop fantasy series, but when he gets there, it's some good shit and it makes all the bitching Kaladin does worth it.

Faiz

Finished Way of Kings.

It only took the whole book for Shallan's story to get interesting.

Also wtf
Taravangian.

IMO Shallan got super interesting the minute I realized
Sanderson was telling us she had a shardblade
which was fairly early on in Way of Kings.

Barzul

Man I need to reread The Way of Kings and the second one in preparation for Oathbringer. It's been a few years since I read them. Or is there a way to like watch a video refresher or read one?

On another note, I finished the 2nd Mistborn book. Pretty awesome so far, on the third one now, the twist was kind of interesting in book 2.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Without Syl, Kaladin would be insufferable.

I actually enjoy his childhood chapters more than his present day ones.
He's development is great specially when THAT moment happens in WoR. Makes everything in WoK worth it.

And the last 200 or so pages of WoK are amazing.

Quonny

Thoughts on WoK. Note this is the only work I've read/listened to of Sanderson's work.

I would have liked it probably a little more if
Dalinar had not had that final vision.
I don't know, it felt a little cheap. I would've liked them to piece together a couple more pieces before the big reveal. It didn't feel earned. Also the final couple chapters felt very rushed and short. I know that they're just chapters meant to build up the next book, but just as you were getting invested in the character's little arc they whipped you onto the next POV.

Kaladin went from fuckthisguy to alright, this dude's aight. I quite like Shallan, especially after she stopped being so witty. It was a little uncomfortable in the beginning where every other word was some clever quip. I've liked Jasnah from the very start. Dalinar remains GOAT. Actually, I am fond the entire Kholin clan, spare the king.

Also, I'm curious if the two characters that had random POV chapters in the middle actually matter at all or if they're just there for world building. That merchant woman and that wandering scholar. They kinda appeared and disappeared just as fast. I didn't care much for the scholar, but the merchant chapter was really interesting and built out the world quite a bit.

I'm still a little confused about the whole idea of 'existence' in this universe, so to speak. They talk about distant lands, planes of existence, and so on. Are these planets? Dimensions? Continents? Is Roshar like Earth or is it like North America? Basically I'm having trouble making a map in my head, and I fear looking up information as I'm sure the wikis and such are chock full of spoilers. But that just could be me missing a few key lines.

Anyway, loved the book, and it was a very different way of digesting it than I normally do. Listening to a chapter once every day or two lets your mind try to guess what's coming next, but it also gives a lot of time to insert facts you just made up and parse them from what you actually read.

Will probably wait a month or so then dive into the next one.

Kaladin

Thoughts on WoK. Note this is the only work I've read/listened to of Sanderson's work.

I would have liked it probably a little more if
Dalinar had not had that final vision.
I don't know, it felt a little cheap. I would've liked them to piece together a couple more pieces before the big reveal. It didn't feel earned. Also the final couple chapters felt very rushed and short. I know that they're just chapters meant to build up the next book, but just as you were getting invested in the character's little arc they whipped you onto the next POV.

Kaladin went from fuckthisguy to alright, this dude's aight. I quite like Shallan, especially after she stopped being so witty. It was a little uncomfortable in the beginning where every other word was some clever quip. I've liked Jasnah from the very start. Dalinar remains GOAT. Actually, I am fond the entire Kholin clan, spare the king.

Also, I'm curious if the two characters that had random POV chapters in the middle actually matter at all or if they're just there for world building. That merchant woman and that wandering scholar. They kinda appeared and disappeared just as fast. I didn't care much for the scholar, but the merchant chapter was really interesting and built out the world quite a bit.

I'm still a little confused about the whole idea of 'existence' in this universe, so to speak. They talk about distant lands, planes of existence, and so on. Are these planets? Dimensions? Continents? Is Roshar like Earth or is it like North America? Basically I'm having trouble making a map in my head, and I fear looking up information as I'm sure the wikis and such are chock full of spoilers. But that just could be me missing a few key lines.

Anyway, loved the book, and it was a very different way of digesting it than I normally do. Listening to a chapter once every day or two lets your mind try to guess what's coming next, but it also gives a lot of time to insert facts you just made up and parse them from what you actually read.

Will probably wait a month or so then dive into the next one.

The Cosmere is a connected universe with different planes of existence and each series takes place on it's own planet in the connected universe.

Here is a recently released map:

Solar_System_Cosmere.thumb.png.179a56cd727c1f06dda58ba66aa8fa5b.png

Roshar is a planet in the Cosmere universe but I wouldn't consider it earth even though Stormlight is the main series so far.

Here is a map of Alethkar where a lot of the action takes place in WOK:

Alethkar.jpg

Words Of Radiance goes a little deeper on the planes of existence I think.

dionysus

Yaldog

I can shed a lot of light on the Cosmere. The shared universe and magic system of Sandersons works (the worlds of Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, White Sand, Stormlight Archive, etc. etc.)

But before I type up a bunch of stuff behind spoiler tags... Do you really want to know or discover it as you read more of the books?

One of the purposes of the interludes is to build out the world that the main characters will not get to explore themselves. To your question. the merchant woman is likely to be a POV character in the last 5 books of the Stormlight Archive, so not connected to the story of the first 5. The scholar, I am assuming you mean Axies the Collector.
This is worldbuilding and he is not likely to be a major player. He is an Aimian which was recently revealed in the short story Edgedancer to be a very interesting race of beings indeed.

Quonny

I can shed a lot of light on the Cosmere. The shared universe and magic system of Sandersons works (the worlds of Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, White Sand, Stormlight Archive, etc. etc.)

But before I type up a bunch of stuff behind spoiler tags... Do you really want to know or discover it as you read more of the books?

I think the maps above were what I was looking for, but thank you for the offer. I'll discover it in time, I'm sure. I was just like, okay, are these places connected by sea? Land? How far? Is this a continent, a country, a planet, some other celestial body, etc etc.

Top Bottom