• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

sasliquid

Finished Alloy of Law last week, Probly my 2nd favourite of the the Mistborn books I've read since I thought the 2nd and 3rd were pretty weak.

Gonna move to the next one soon.

Based on this feedback I'm going to suggest that perhaps Sanderson isn't a good fit for you. Which is totally fine! But I think based on the issues you have here, I have a feeling you will continue having the same complaints.

Actually I read the Stormlight books first and had no complaints and think they are great. I also had no complaints with book 1 of mistborn.

Faiz

Actually I read the Stormlight books first and had no complaints and think they are great. I also had no complaints with book 1 of mistborn.

I tell ya what, if by the end of Hero of Ages all your concerns are answered to your satisfaction and don't still have the same complaints about Hero, I'll happily retract the suggestion. I have a feeling though you are still gonna not care for the direction. Particularly concerning:
the deus ex machina critique and citation of Lord Ruler moving the planet.

Kaladin

I tell ya what, if by the end of Hero of Ages all your concerns are answered to your satisfaction and don't still have the same complaints about Hero, I'll happily retract the suggestion. I have a feeling though you are still gonna not care for the direction. Particularly concerning:

But
moving the planet
makes so much more sense after Hero.

I'll definitely update my thoughts when I feel I've made significant progress. The way it opens is quite cool so far.

One of my favourite parts of Hero of Ages, the point where I just couldn't put it down was (Spoiler below)

Elend and Vin showing up at the ball whilst their army is camped outside the city and having them announce their names to everyone there, just strolling down to take part

To me just screamed badass.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just started Mistborn - stoked to see it's part of a huge shared world! really loving the world building already, and im only a few chapters in

A question I've been turning over in my mind the past few days. Spoilers for Stormlight 1 & 2, Mistborn 1-4, and Warbreaker.

In the Cosmere, gods are usually "real", which is to say that their existence has some sort of rational explanation. The Returned have particularly-powerful god-breadths. Harmony is Sazed holding the power of two shards. It is reasonable to assume that the Almighty in Stormlight is some sort of Shard as well.

How does that work out for Jasnah as an atheist. She doesn't believe in unfounded religious teachings, but does follow logic. She knows about places like Shadesmar (the cognitive realm?) and is probably fairly Cosmere-aware in general. So does she know about who The Almighty is?

I highly doubt that Jesnah's story arch will involve becoming religious because she discovers the existence of god. I find it equally unlikely that other characters will discover Jesnah's non-belief was actually correct all along. But if The Almighty is ever going to play a larger role in the story, as would seem unavoidable—how is this contradiction going to get resolved?

Worth noting that I (notably unlike Sanderson) am coming at this from the perspective of an irl athiest—to me, Gods exist only in fantasy stories, and not in the real world. It's hard to separate myself from this when writing about whether a god is "real" in a given Fantasy world.
Hasn't it been pretty much confirmed that the almighty in SA is Tanavast who held the honor shard?

jon bones

Sanderson is a master world builder.

it certainly seems like it.

i don't want to read too much of the OP as i like the way Mistborn is slowly unraveling the world for me but i just wanted to ask -

the 2 big series' here are Mistborn and Stormlight Archives

do they take place in the same universe or the same world?

i also hear there is some sci fi books in this universe? which are those?

it certainly seems like it.

i don't want to read too much of the OP as i like the way Mistborn is slowly unraveling the world for me but i just wanted to ask -

the 2 big series' here are Mistborn and Stormlight Archives

do they take place in the same universe or the same world?

Trying to answer as vaguely as possible.

They take place in the same universe.

There are no hard sci fi books yet but there are plans for them eventually.

jon bones

Trying to answer as vaguely as possible.

They take place in the same universe.

There are no hard sci fi books yet but there are plans for them eventually.

thanks! really appreciate the vagueness

i'm gonna dip out of this thread, maybe i'll see yall when i'm caught up in... a long time!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
One of my favourite parts of Hero of Ages, the point where I just couldn't put it down was (Spoiler below)

Elend and Vin showing up at the ball whilst their army is camped outside the city and having them announce their names to everyone there, just strolling down to take part

To me just screamed badass.

Great scene. Would make a great scene in a TV show as well. Given the success of GoT, I hope TV producers start to look at other fantasy series. I always thought Mistborn would make a great TV series. I would have probably argued that it translates to the screen better than song of ice and fire, but that show surprised me quite a bit over the years.

arkon

I finished Elantris earlier today. First Cosmere book I've read since the Way of Kings back in 2010. I thought it was okay but definitely ranks lower down in my list of his work. There's marked improvements in almost all areas going from this book to his later work, from the handling of plot twists/reveals to his character work. There was points where my interest was flagging in the middle section but I wonder if that's because I'm just more attuned to his shorter fiction. I had a similar struggle with the Way of Kings which I was hyped for before release. I guess I'll see when I read the rest of the Cosmere stuff later in the year. I still have Warbreaker, the Wax and Wayne books, Words of Radiance, White Sand and Arcanum Unbounded to tackle. One thing I did appreciate was the low-key action and magic usage (which only really comes into it in the final third), makes quite a contrast from something like the original Mistborn trilogy.

Also I remember there being some addition to the 10th anniversary edition, was that the
Hoid scene at the end? Was there anything else/

Jag

Unfortunately no, but I could see the Mistborn world going that way.

If you want hard sci-fi/Space Opera, check out the Expanse series. It's not Sanderson, but it is soooo good.

You could consider the cosmere's connecting factors like Hoid to be sci-fi elements, I guess.

That's why I said no hard sci fi tbh. He wanted to know more without being spoiled, so that was the clearest way I could think of to answer the question without spoiling.

studyguy

Sixth of Dusk said there are beings in space (or at least in the sky? The Ones Above) So there are deffo some sci-fi elements to come. Just it'll probably be more esoteric magics (like cognitive realm world jumping type stuff) getting people to move around the cosmere planets than probably hard scifi space ship stuff. I mean there are probably some civilizations that are legitimately spacefaring now but I still expect them to be woven hard into magic somehow.

Sixth of Dusk said there are beings in space (or at least in the sky?) So there are deffo some sci-fi elements to come. Just it'll probably be more esoteric magics (like cognitive realm world jumping type stuff) getting people to move around the cosmere than probably hard scifi space ship stuff.

Yes and No. You're correct about Sixth of Dusk having a space faring civilization. But there's more than just that. The final planned Mistborn age is to be futuristic time period with space travel.

studyguy

Yes and No. You're correct about Sixth of Dusk having a space faring civilization. But there's more than just that. The final planned Mistborn age is to be futuristic time period with space travel.

Ah I wasn't aware of that, that's gonna be a hell of a ride.

Also I definitely want more stories concerning First of the Sun. That was by far my favorite setting within the cosmere so far.

Finished the first Mistborn book - SO GOOD. So good.

It hasn't unseated The Stormlight Archive, by any stretch, but I liked the book more as it went on...and I'm very intrigued at how the next book is going to go.

My current Brandon Sanderson rankings:

1. Words of Radiance
2. The Way of Kings
3. Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
4. Mistborn: The Final Empire
5. Warbreaker
6. Steelheart (Reckoners #1)
7. The Emperor's Soul
8. Firstborn
9. Firefight (Reckoners #2)
10. Calamity (Reckoners #3)

I gave up on The Rithmatist and the first Alcatraz books.

Faiz

Regarding this specificly:
the Space travelers in Sixth are in fact from Scadrial.

Kaladin

I try to break up my Sanderson reads with stuff from other authors. After I finish Elantris, it's time for me to pick up something else.

I have 3 choices:

Tad Williams - The Dragonbone Chair
Connie Willis - Doomsday Book
Daniel Abraham - The Dragon's Path

That's pretty much my order of preference right now, but has anyone read these?

I try to break up my Sanderson reads with stuff from other authors. After I finish Elantris, it's time for me to pick up something else.

I have 3 choices:

Tad Williams - The Dragonbone Chair
Connie Willis - Doomsday Book

I've started The Dragon's Path twice and can never hang with it. It just hasn't grabbed me well enough. Nothing particularly bad about it. Just haven't yet made it through. I was like that with Abercrombie's Blade book too fwiw.

Jag

Absolutely love this series. One of my favorites. Obviously I'm a huge Abraham fan. He's in my trinity of new authors that I really like (Sanderson, Abercrombie, Abraham).

For non-Sanderson stuff, feel free to come to book GAF.

Kaladin

Absolutely love this series. One of my favorites. Obviously I'm a huge Abraham fan. He's in my trinity of new authors that I really like (Sanderson, Abercrombie, Abraham).

For non-Sanderson stuff, feel free to come to book GAF.

I've been there....figured I'd ask other Sanderson fans what they thought of my options though.

Finished the first Mistborn book - SO GOOD. So good.

It hasn't unseated The Stormlight Archive, by any stretch, but I liked the book more as it went on...and I'm very intrigued at how the next book is going to go.

My current Brandon Sanderson rankings:

1. Words of Radiance
2. The Way of Kings
3. Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
4. Mistborn: The Final Empire
5. Warbreaker
6. Steelheart (Reckoners #1)
7. The Emperor's Soul
8. Firstborn
9. Firefight (Reckoners #2)
10. Calamity (Reckoners #3)

I gave up on The Rithmatist and the first Alcatraz books.

The first Mistboorn is like the fastest read ever. I could not believe how quickly I progressed.

Strimei

I enjoy Mistborn but it definitely pales to Stormlight. However, I like how improved things got with Wax & Wayne, and have high hopes for the future.

DieH@rd

Banned
I can't wait for the next promissed time jump into far future of Mistborn universe. Space travel and stuff. :) Coinshots are going to do wild things while in zero G!

Anno

It's also kinda neat to see how far Sanderson has come as a writer since the original Mistborn trilogy compared to SA.

Quonny

Listening to the Graphic Audio Version of Way of Kings. I like it quite a bit as something different, but man oh man. Kaladin's voice.

For those that don't know, Graphic Audio is an audio book series ever they hire voice actors for the characters and use sound effects for things like shooting arrows, the bells of Kharbranth in the background during those scenes, Syl flying around, etc. It's kinda cool but a bit distracting until you get used to it.

But Kaladin is voiced by a Southern United States VA, and its really startling every time he speaks. He's got a southern drawl.

Faiz

I can't wait for the next promissed time jump into far future of Mistborn universe. Space travel and stuff. :) Coinshots are going to do wild things while in zero G!

Heh, well the "next" time jump is supposed to be "modern day". I think I remember him suggesting an 80's level tech. The futuristic MB books are quite a ways off.

Huh, why wouldn't you? SA ain't that much better than Mistborn.

Also nowhere near the commitment haha.

jon bones

Which of his series' are complete (in the way that the first MB trilogy is complete)?

I know Stormlight is 10 books long, Wax & Wayne have 1 book left... not sure on the others. I'd like to just read the stuff that's done first, thanks!

rexor0717

Finished Warbreaker about a month ago, and I knew I liked his writing, but finishing The Final Empire yesterday sealed the deal. Now I'm going to have to "read" all his stuff. Won't be cancelling my audible subscription for a while lol.

Faiz

Which of his series' are complete (in the way that the first MB trilogy is complete)?

I know Stormlight is 10 books long, Wax & Wayne have 1 book left... not sure on the others. I'd like to just read the stuff that's done first, thanks!

Cosmere wise? MB era 1 is the only series complete. Warbreaker and Elantris are getting sequels but really are stand alone books.

Other than that some of his younger audience series are done.

jon bones

Cosmere wise? MB era 1 is the only series complete. Warbreaker and Elantris are getting sequels but really are stand alone books.

Other than that some of his younger audience series are done.

OK maybe i'll give Warbreaker & Elantris a shot next. both are on GraphicAudio and i'm loving their MB adaptation.

Faiz

OK maybe i'll give Warbreaker & Elantris a shot next. both are on GraphicAudio and i'm loving their MB adaptation.

Warbreaker is great. Also available for free in eBook on his site. Elantris is ok. It's kinda rough. A very obvious first novel.

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and Sixth of the Dusk are also standalone (though apparently a Threnody novel is coming somewhere down the road)

Barzul

After reading through the Stormlight Archive, I just wrapped up the first book of the Mistborn series. I'm hooked. I just started poring through the second one.

jon bones

fuckkk

accidentally clicked the wrong amazon link and read the first sentence of the mistborn book 3 synopsis

"
they did it! the lord ruler is ...."
still halfway through book one 😰

fuckkk

accidentally clicked the wrong amazon link and read the first sentence of the mistborn book 3 synopsis

"
they did it! the lord ruler is ...."
still halfway through book one 😰

This sucks, but there are much worse spoilers out there than that one. I mean, what else did you think was going to happen?

Top Bottom