• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Responds to Recent Feedback on Destiny 2

I forgot Cozmo even existed.

Acknowledging the problem is the bare minimum. Like, no shit they know there’s problems, if they weren’t aware of that I’d be lost for words.
Right but they could also NOT acknowledge the problems leaving everyone hanging. There is already a pretty good game there. They could just leave it as is, release expansions that people already bought or will buy regardless...

But they aren't going to do that. It's going to be improved and he even gave good examples of what to expect at some point. I don't know what else he could say. More examples would be great I guess but at this point I think what he said was what needed to be said.

I hope they're not listening to the people that want random rolls back, or want less frequent loot, or want to remove clan rewards.

If any of that happens, I'm out.

Hate to break it to you, but they're going to have to cater to that crowd sooner rather than later.

CookTrain

I hope they're not listening to the people that want random rolls back, or want less frequent loot, or want to remove clan rewards.

If any of that happens, I'm out.

The trap they need to avoid is listening too much to popular streamers. They have some good suggestions, but most things they suggest are framed in the context of turning Destiny into the kind of grind that's basically a job... because for them, Destiny is their content and is their job.

Seeing streamers advocate for things like random rolls coming back isn't because it's good gameplay, it's because it's something they can broadcast for a long time without running out of content.

Destiny 2 has obviously swung way too hard the other way to the point where many players are already burned out on the available content, but yeah... find that balance.

Buddy, we're tired of their bullshit. We're tired of not willingly put their lessons from 3 years, we're tired of their pride not allowing them to separately balance PvE and PvP. We're tired, okay?

God help us all, Bungie is back on their bullshit, for like the millionth time

Melchiah

In fairness, I think for many of us who felt stung by D1, there was a fair amount of leeway given to Bungie considering:

- It was a brand new IP.
- It had been in development hell/story ripped apart.
- It was Bungies first attempt at this type of game.

As for D2, I was looking forward to it because D1Y3 had shown that they were on the right track and had made some awesome changes. It wasn't perfect, (separate PvE and PvP goddammit!) but it was a damn sight better than D1Y1, and surely we wouldn't be taking any backwards steps because they've shown they know what they're doing...right?

Well...

They don't have the same leeway on this occasion.

They've had 3 years at this, to plan the story, to look back at what they managed to get right, and more importantly, what they got wrong and then implemented to resolve it.

Yet, they seem to have forgotten all about that and threw all of that away, or just didn't bother to implement any of it due to time constraints, which I find hard to believe personally.

Yeah, eventhough I was soured by the game and quitted playing when Dark Below was released, I ended up spending over 600 hours with it after I got TTK for free from a friend. It just seems to me, that D2 is in a similar state where D1 was in 2014, partly even worse for someone like me who only plays PVE and preferred Hunter with sniper & launcher combo. It feels like the sequel took a step backwards from what the first was at the end. They might eventually get to where DIY3 was, but until then I think it's better to wait and see how it goes.

EDIT:
The trap they need to avoid is listening too much to popular streamers. They have some good suggestions, but most things they suggest are framed in the context of turning Destiny into the kind of grind that's basically a job... because for them, Destiny is their content and is their job.

Seeing streamers advocate for things like random rolls coming back isn't because it's good gameplay, it's because it's something they can broadcast for a long time without running out of content.

Destiny 2 has obviously swung way too hard the other way to the point where many players are already burned out on the available content, but yeah... find that balance.

Agreed. It took me ages to get Keystone 01 from the Dead Orbit vendor with the perks I wanted, and one Choleric Dragon SRT-49 of each elemental with Tripod perk . It didn't add anything to the game, and I wish they don't bring back the random rolls.

Alo0oy

Banned

Yeah, streamers have a lot of good suggestions sometimes (especially for stuff like the crucible), but some of the stuff they want like random rolls is just not suitable for people like me, I like the "friendly grind" of D2.

And some people on Reddit were complaining that Trial rewards were being given away in the weekly clan rewards, which is pretty selfish since some people can't access Trials at all.

They can do it without random rolls. I'm ok either way but they could do it with mods too. Something to work for but not completely random.

I don't see the issue with random loot. Most looter games are random loot, it comes with the territory. A "god roll" gun isn't going to turn you into the terminator in Crucible.

In my 1800+ hours of D1, I never truly chased the god rolls. I obviously looked to see if I got a good roll, I had my favorites like firefly, but I never felt I needed certain rolls on something, usually getting one was good enough.

sinkfla87

People hate random rolls for PVP reasons, correct? Someone said this earlier, but it really does feel like most standard D2 weapons are shit roll D1 weapons lol. We all know Bungie's aversion to balancing PVP and PVE separately but:

One way you could balance weapons for PVP is make particular nodes on the weapon skill tree only active for PVE (locked in pvp). THESE would be the nodes that would differ depending on rolls and would only affect PVE activities.

Make exotic weapons FEEL exotic again. Using the locked loadout system, they could make certain weapons PVE only. Alternatively, you could have exotic PVP weapons as well with static rolls (ie base stats/perks for all who have the same weapon).

Does this sound like a fair compromise?

Spoo

The trap they need to avoid is listening too much to popular streamers.

Some streamers will make reasonable requests, and some won't. The real trap is in trying to reconcile the direction they want to take with the game with the rationale hardcore players use to justify their continued playing. Everything Bungie has done up to this point with Destiny 2 is to simplify the experience to better control it, and limit problems they have had in the past with Destiny 1.

Fixed rolls on weapons is a solution to a problem Destiny 1 had. I can only attribute the demands from players who wan't this particular thing back to selective memory and revisionism. God rolls were not cool in Destiny whether you had one or not. I don't look back upon my grind for a God roll Eyasluna as a fun time. It was fucking painful. Did it keep me playing the game? Sure. But if they had *any* better reason to play, I would have much sooner attached myself to that.

There are a million ways Bungie can rework and add to the end game without reverting to essentially Destiny 1. If they *do* go back to the way so much of Destiny 1 works, we will all be sitting here essentially saying they've learned nothing. The reason so many hardcore players' ideas of how to "fix" D2's endgame is by bringing up the ways in which D1 did things is because they have effectively 0 creative output of their own.

If people want something to chase, give them something to chase. Doesn't have to be godrolls. How about random exotic mods that drop in strike chests? Mods that drop in PvP. Better yet, how about giving people something they can spend their (at this point) thousands of legendary marks? Let us buy skins with them. Let us purchase from our favorite vendor weapons we are missing from our collection for the cost of 400 of these things. That's grind. I'll give you 100 EDZ tokens if you can offer me something for those tokens worth getting. Make things expensive, make them take time to get, but don't use shitty RNG systems that we all complained about in D1 to hide the fact that you don't know what you're doing.

Got 10 Better Devils? How about breaking them all down into a "Better Devils +1" that has marginally better stats than the regular Better Devils? Or maybe that just gives you a super custom skin, or emblem.

RNG systems are bad but necessary in a loot game. The token system is designed to alleviate the pain of suffering of it all. There's a clear direction Bungie is attempting to take here, but we should be pushing them forward, not trying to take them where we've already been. Any streamers that are pushing for random rolls I just have to vehemently disagree with. Last thing we need is to be back where we started, cursing people who have the Luck in the Chamber, or Rangefinder equivalents that even if we set out to earn ourselves, we just have to pray to RNG gods to get.

Trakan

Given the demands of work and life I'm not remotely concerned with them taking a month or two to get things right.

I think the game is phenomenal and I'm only just at 225pl on my first character. I've got a long way to go until I'm exhausted with what's there.

Haven't even tackled a Strike yet, let alone a raid, or the World Quests.

A month or two? I wouldn't hold my breath.

People hate random rolls for PVP reasons, correct? Someone said this earlier, but it really does feel like most standard D2 weapons are shit roll D1 weapons lol. We all know Bungie's aversion to balancing PVP and PVE separately but:

One way you could balance weapons for PVP is make particular nodes on the weapon skill tree only active for PVE (locked in pvp). THESE would be the nodes that would differ depending on rolls and would only affect PVE activities.

Make exotic weapons FEEL exotic again. Using the locked loadout system, they could make certain weapons PVE only. Alternatively, you could have exotic PVP weapons as well with static rolls (ie base stats/perks for all who have the same weapon).

Or they could just have a fixed choice from X number of loadouts for “competitive” crucible which changes up every week.

Quick play would just be a massive free for all no holds barred slaughter.

amar212

If people want something to chase, give them something to chase. Doesn't have to be godrolls. .

But all streamers and majority of current louders want are godrols.

They can spin it however they want, they can wrap it in the paper, but it all comes to godrols.

They have something to chase in D2. There is crazy meta game available with gear and mods. But that one is not attractive nor it brings clicks.

I like changes in D2. I finally have time for other things. But from my subjective and peronal perspective, majority of criticism from carrots chasers is related to godrols.

Simbo

Neo Member
I’ll have to admit I enjoyed the random roll aspect of D1. It gave me something to chase.

Wondering whether they could implement something regarding weapon mods though. Have the weapon perks as mods that are relatively easy / cheap to obtain and apply. That way people could have their desired roll but the ‘god roll’ would also be accessible to the casuals without much grind.

Here's a back of the napkin idea I've talked about with friends.

Separate PVE and PVP loot pools. You can't take one to the other. It allows them to simply balance the PVP weapons specifically and gives them the ability to create some real power fantasy nonsense for PVE.

Shaxx + the gun manufacturers become PVP exclusive vendors. Each get armor and weapons. Static perks. The narrative is the Crucible is a training ground, why not lean on that narrative reason to separate the loot tables? Hakke, Omolon, Suros would be the obvious choices to pull for the vendors. I don't know how they handle balancing in the game. However, my idiot reasoning sees this as a separate spreadsheet/database to move sliders and values around on so they don't nerf PVE weapons in the process.

Now you get true exotics in the PVE arena, total power fantasy weapons that would kill the balance in Crucible. Dead Orbit, New Monarchy, and Future War Cult continue to be the vendors for PVE. Outbreak Prime should have been like the Bullseye in Resistance; tag, shoot, and all bullets track to target. You can get crazy with perks and armor. It might even be.. fun.

I also agree with the set loadout being another solution like Souldestroyer suggested.

Melchiah

I don't see the issue with random loot. Most looter games are random loot, it comes with the territory. A "god roll" gun isn't going to turn you into the terminator in Crucible.

In my 1800+ hours of D1, I never truly chased the god rolls. I obviously looked to see if I got a good roll, I had my favorites like firefly, but I never felt I needed certain rolls on something, usually getting one was good enough.

I've played Let It Die almost as much as I played D1, and I prefer how it handles the loot. All weapons and armors are the same. The materials that are used to upgrade them appear randomly in certain areas. Grinders have an advantage, but their Haters can be overcome with lesser gear due to the effects of consumable mushrooms, and by taking advantage of the AI's attack mechanics. The only flaw is, that the game matches you according to the fighter level, instead of the gear level. You can only hope to stall the players with tier-4 gear who attack your base, just enough to prevent your defenders from being captured.

I disliked the random rolls, eventhough I only played PVE, as they stood in the way of getting the optimal gear for higher level missions and solo runs.

Splitting the perks of the weapons sounds like an interesting idea, but I imagine it would rub some of the PVP players the wrong way.

Spoo

They can spin it however they want, they can wrap it in the paper, but it all comes to godrols.

They have something to chase in D2. There is crazy meta game available with gear and mods. But that one is not attractive nor it brings clicks.

I like changes in D2. I finally have time for other things. But from my subjective and peronal perspective, majority of criticism from carrots chasers is related to godrols.

Like I said: they want that, because they don't know anything else. They are reverting to a D1 mentality. Basically, they are missing the forest for the trees. D2 can give a player so much more than just godrolls to chase. They can provide hard-to-get cosmetics, guns that are just genuinely difficult to earn (through missions, grind, but all deterministic in how to acquire them), they can hunt unique shaders.

None of these things are in D2, btw. There is no point to run strikes, or revisit lost sectors, or play MP / Trials, etc., because after you've earned it once there is nothing to hunt after. So the solution is, have a set of (balanced) rolls for weapons that are genuinely hard to get because of a time investment. Godrolls mean that someone can effectively do no work and have the best gun in the game :\ Also means someone can work their ass off and never, ever get it. No fun.

Add strike specific loot, ornaments that are hard to earn and take time, exotic mods that take a while to earn (or cost lots of legendary shards) -- basically, material sinks -- and weapons that cost a lot or take a lot to buy (but are balanced) and you're good. Also, give people numbers to chase, too. People love numbers. D1 was very good at this, applying a level to just about everything you could do. Casual players won't care (because it's actually *balanced*) and hardcore players have something to do every day that rewards them with things they didn't have before.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Add a method to mass delete shaders.
but people complained about shaders being a one time use now they want to mass delete shaders?

Also Bungie always looking to improve and we have seen that transformation with Destiny 1.

This is honestly Zelda shit. it's like the developer doesn't know what people want. They complained about the grind in D1 and they fixed it in D2 and people still complain.

Bold One

I thing Destiny's biggest problem is the lack of content. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem Bungie or Destiny lends itself to a model that continually releases new content on a regular basis.
That version of destiny would require a monthly sub to acquiesce the costs of constantly pushing content.

See WOW.

cilonen

I'm not looking for the return of god rolls but there really isn't a crazy meta game available with gear and mods.

When I first saw that mods were linked to bright engrams and real money I thought there would be outrage, but no, mods don't really matter aside from the +5. There is only one single kinetic damage +5 mod and that is it, no variety, you either add five to the power of your kinetic weapon or you don't. There is an opportunity there to really get creative with perks, but as of now, that is not there.

Bold One

Please put me in the 'fuck random rolls' camp.

I want my better devils to be the defacto better devils not it's deficient counterfeit.

shimon

So they will probably fix some things through dlcs later. Then D3 will come out and we will do the dance again. And again. That's the Destiny circle of life apparently.

Arnie

A month or two? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Aye, there's always the chance that I join the frustration in a couple of months time.

Being cynical I'd imagine a lot of these quality of life improvements come as part of a major update with the first real content pack pre-Christmas.

The metagame in D2 is basically non-existent right now. That's the problem. It can be fixed without adding random rolled weapons though. I honestly feel like D2 is a step back from D1 TTK, which is just ridiculous to me.

The game feels so good to run around and shoot things, they absolutely nailed that, but it seems like they have zero vision for how everything around that should work. I'm taking a break for now and hopefully things will improve with the expacs.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's good to hear that they're acknowledging the fact that flaws exist, and that they're going to be making changes and hopefully improving the overall experience.

Can't ask for much more at this moment in time.

My small input right now would be; give us more varied loot to chase, let us actually buy some of it maybe?!, and please change the Shader system back to exactly how it works in Destiny 1 (never going to happen but please for the love of god I'm begging over here).

GlamFM

Banned
Buddy, we're tired of their bullshit. We're tired of not willingly put their lessons from 3 years, we're tired of their pride not allowing them to separately balance PvE and PvP. We're tired, okay?

God help us all, Bungie is back on their bullshit, for like the millionth time

Insulting them fixes nothing, only increases the toxicity around here AND between the community and the developer in general.

I like to think that people from Bungie stop by here every once in a while to gather feedback.

Weren't you also the guy who suggested Bungie should be "punished"?

Tone it down.

Yeah, streamers have a lot of good suggestions sometimes (especially for stuff like the crucible), but some of the stuff they want like random rolls is just not suitable for people like me, I like the "friendly grind" of D2.

And some people on Reddit were complaining that Trial rewards were being given away in the weekly clan rewards, which is pretty selfish since some people can't access Trials at all.
Holy cow...if you "can't" access trials, you don't deserve the gear. Period.

Z3M0G

This was my assumption, which also means Destiny 3, if already in development, could repeat this issue again.

I've made a thread about and talked about this many times before. But the structure of many AAA titles today seems to be trending towards rough framework games, that are rounded out or completed during additional year/years.

Found it

Honestly, I was largely in support for going back to square one for Destiny 2, I think it was absolutely necessary to do, but they just went in an entirely unexpected direction for me personally. I also really hadn't factored in the fact that probably some time around Prison of Elders or earlier they had already started development for Destiny 2, off the back/code of D1.

In your old post you were overthinking things... since the beginning of game sequels, game 2 is usually always more robust than game 1 because a lot of game 1s production was R&D and engine developlent... making the best game they can in parallel. Then in game 2 they take lessons learned, less need for engine design and focus on few key improvements, more freedom for scenario writing, better level design, etc.

CookTrain

I do enjoy the clan perks. While I'm not quite at "can't" levels, I certainly don't want to. PvP is the bane of my Destiny life, but I do like the Nines aesthetic. I paid my 5000 clan xp for the week, I gotta get something for me :p

Z3M0G

Most of my issues with the game stem from the god awful token system and the endless amount of repeated gear they give. Iron banner has been a massive disappointment because of it, 15 packages later and only 1 piece of armor for my hunter but damn if they didnt give me the same gun 7 times its honestly what has made me stop playing the game and probably wont go back unless they make some huge changes for the first expansion.
Which is why making a "loot game" without stat rolls is inherently a bad idea... at least then you would have reason to at least analyze those 7 guns, and may even use 2 or 3 of them along the way.

But it doesnt matter right now because their 3 stats are broken. Reduce damage and movement speed stats dont actually do anything...

While in D1 the 3 stats that directly control your 3 cooldowns were fun to manage, offered interesting build variety, and gave random rolls on loot a LOT of value. If D2 had random rolls on loot right now, it would still mean nothing.

Insulting them fixes nothing, only increases the toxicity around here AND between the community and the developer in general.

I like to think that people from Bungie stop by here every once in a while to gather feedback.

Weren't you also the guy who suggested Bungie should be "punished"?

Tone it down.

Then help me understand. At what point do we have to be forgiving to their fuck ups? We tolerated D1's mistakes because the development was a mess and Bungie spent 3 years making it better

And now we're back to square one with D2. And trust me, no one and I mean no one would like to go through this bullshit again with Destiny 3.

Destiny 2 was supposed to be the game to bring us back together. Now its the game that is literally tearing us apart no thanks to Bungie's incompetence.

Alo0oy

Banned

That's the mentality I want them to avoid, not everyone can play Trials with their friends every week, I can find randoms to play the Raid or NF with using the app or the clan, but I don't want to play Trials with randoms (unless they put matchmaking in there), and none of my RL friends are interested in Destiny outside of the campaign, they beat the campaign and then they bailed.

The clan reward gives you a single Trial weapon/armor every week, what's wrong with that?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm just hoping they aren't more worried about mass deleting shaders then some of the larger issues.

Development doesn't work that way. You can stick one of your UI people on the shader thing and have a working solution within a day or two. Test it on all platforms and then roll it into the next patch. Not a huge deal, from a technical standpoint, at least.

The larger issues, on the other hand, typically require a good deal more discussion and planning and testing and are far more likely to be a team effort.

GlamFM

Banned
Then help me understand. At what point do we have to be forgiving to their fuck ups? We tolerated D1's mistakes because the development was a mess and Bungie spent 3 years making it better

And now we're back to square one with D2. And trust me, no one and I mean no one would like to go through this bullshit again with Destiny 3.

Destiny 2 was supposed to be the game to bring us back together. Now its the game that is literally tearing us apart no thanks to Bungie's incompetence.

You don´t have to "forgive" anything. (Not entirely sure what that even means)

Don´t stop criticizing, but be constrictive and let go of the insults.

I find this attitude super off putting and a bigger threat to the community than the current state of D2.

I am happy that i am not a destiny god but under 100 hours i hace 304 pl and cool gear

People that complain that this does not tale 500 hours are selfish, git gud stylers, same argument as souls git gud mentality

I don't necessarily think that bringing back random stat rolls on weapons is the solution to the current problems. I think there are a number of options that can be explored.

When you reduce D2's endgame issues down to their core, what you realize is that the biggest most apparent issue is one of a lack of a "sense of progression". This issue stems from the loot system design, which many are attributing to a concerted effort from Bungie to balance the game across PvE and PvP.

In which case, take-away the idea of random stat rolls on weapons, as the main problem is not the progression of acquiring gear with good stats, rather the stats on individual gear items themselves.

My idea for a potential solution would be to add back in a random element, but not on weapon/armour power/defense, rather on perks, as well as adding more imaginative and interesting perks to weapons:
- It might be cool if perks like "explosive rounds" on your Nameless Midnight could be upgraded, through infusion of another weapon with the same perk (the incremental upgrade could be slight but cap out at a reasonable margin above base; so maybe 1% increase in blast radius or splash damage with each infusion, up to a max. of 10-15%). -
- You could allow player to infuse gear with a lower PL, ignoring the base PL, but allow you to stack perks from those lower-tier gear onto your higher tier gear. This would mean that even lower tier gear has value beyond just dismantling for glimmer and weapon parts.
- You could also add a randomized chance to generate an additional special perk, when infusing a legendary or exotic into your existing weapon, allowing for cool combinations like a full-auto Nameless Midnight with explosive rounds (the full auto perk could come with debuffs to range and power for balance purposes).

If you're concerned about people infusing god-weapons too early on, you can limit these to a "special infusion" option that only becomes available above a certain PL (say 270+PL). Then for PvP, you can simply make the entire PvP mode ignore all these added special infusion stats and bonuses and only recognize base weapon stats (similar to what they're already doing with LL).

FyreWulff

At this point, they should do everyone a favor, give the Destiny IP to Blizzard and close down

Because frankly they're manchildren who have short term memories and can't learn anything even if their fucking miserable lives depended on it

Yes this is useful feedback

Bold One

Absolute nonsense, the only thing tearing the community apart are entitled man-children losing their shit over a videogame.

Threads like these were we have constructive feedback and then we have posts like yours which effectively equate to chimps screaming and flinging their poo.

Chill TFO.

I dunno man, there is a huge argument in favor of Vanilla D1 being the best D, just because of Vault of Glass and the awesomeness it entailed. To be honest I never cared about the story in D1, or the grind to upgrade weapons. Rocking the VoG with a Vision of Confluence was, and still is to this day, the MOST fun I have had in ANY Destiny content.

King's Fall and Wrath of the Machine were fun too, but Vault of Glass was Destiny's peak IMO.

Leviathon is a gold plated turd. Hell its boss even looks like a LITERAL gold plated turd.

And for perspective I already have over 200 hours in D2 because I enjoy helping people through Prestige nightfalls and the raid. But this crap we have right now has got NOTHING on the Vault of fun times.

A mixture of Kings Fall and VoG would have been an ideal start to D2's raid experience but instead we get Leviathan.

I don't hate the raid but i think majority of my enjoyment is down to a regular group who all chat and have a laugh whilst we play.

My issue with the raid is that we have this huge 'World Eating' ship that has no actual involvement in the raid itself (excluding chest hunting in the underbelly). Instead we go and play Takeshi's castle in some random emperors back garden.
This ship has no relevance in the story that we have gone through during the campaign. An adventure mission provides some back story instead.

I would have preferred to have the campaign cut just before the final mission and the raid involve a fight with Gary and his Elite.

KaKaRi

Why dont we organize a digital protest?
We all log into D1 on 1 specific date en do some activities and spam social media with it. This might help in creating more awerness and demand quick fixes from bungie

GlamFM

Banned
A mixture of Kings Fall and VoG would have been an ideal start to D2's raid experience but instead we get Leviathan.

I don't hate the raid but i think majority of my enjoyment is down to a regular group who all chat and have a laugh whilst we play.

My issue with the raid is that we have this huge 'World Eating' ship that has no actual involvement in the raid itself (excluding chest hunting in the underbelly). Instead we go and play Takeshi's castle in some random emperors back garden.
This ship has no relevance in the story that we have gone through during the campaign. An adventure mission provides some back story instead.

I would have preferred to have the campaign cut just before the final mission and the raid involve a fight with Gary and his Elite.

I thought VoG had not aged well after playing it again when the challenges came around.
Surprisingly I had A TON of fun with Crota.

Right now I´d rank them like this:

1. WotM
2. Leviatan
3. Crota
4. VoG
5. Oryx

Note that the range is not good to bad, but fantastic to good.

The mod system is straight up garbage in its current iteration though.

For the vanilla version of The Division, sure. The current end-game of the Division has vastly improved.

Problem is that most players that forms that opinion about the former don't stick around to experience the latter.

All my friends got destiny 2 and they played the hell out of it but iron banner really turned them off and they're not logging in. They're less likely to bother with dlc this time since we all remember that from D1.

Bungie really should know better after the first destiny. I'm kinda shocked they still figuring this out.

Top Bottom