• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were the Dolls. In an appropriately ridiculous scenario: with all this horrible killing going around, they are quietly lighting a room on fire.

The movie was very, very, very good at not making anything overt.

Were those the
people dressed in all black with creepy white opera masks? I thought those were from The Strangers too (though I haven't seen it so I don't know if that qualifies). I think a better reference, if they wanted to, would be a demented madman forcing someone into a ridiculously convoluted trap.

I can't wait for the TV Tropes page on this film to be written, should be fun to read.

Eek, you're not that bright, are you?

No I guess not. If there was some underlining idea to this movie that made it good, then I missed it. I don't care what reviewers or anyone else thinks. This movie was stupid. But like I said, I bet anyone who likes this movie has seen 50+ horror movies and this is just a good change of scenery.

By the way Fran Kranz was the only good that came of this movie. RIP Dollhouse.

a demented madman forcing someone into a ridiculously convoluted trap.

This was the entire film. There's even a line about this in the final ten minutes:
"why us?" "because you're young"

I can't wait for the TV Tropes page on this film to be written, should be fun to read.

First thing I do is pop this in and listen to the audio commentary.

If there is not a separate commentary track for Whitford and Jenkins, that is such a missed opportunity for so many reasons.

I bet anyone who likes this movie has seen 50+ horror movies and this is just a good change of scenery.

I liked it because I enjoy good writing.

You do know what this movie was about, right? You do know what it's trying to say? Have you even read this thread?

Let's not be an asshole.

Sure, this thread is dividing between those that "got it" and those that liked it/hated it as a pure, face value horror film.

But let's keep the IQ shit out of the thread.

That belongs in the BioWare and Uncharted threads.

Lots of people have leveled fair critiques of Cabin in this thread, but "stupid movie" is just a dumb, caveman-ish post.

Lots of people have leveled fair critiques of Cabin in this thread, but "stupid movie" is just a dumb, caveman-ish post.

Plenty of people have said that in this thread. Maybe not "stupid movie", but that was the intent.

My point is this: don't bring it to the level of "you're just not smart enough, sir, to understand like me".

Plenty of people have said that in this thread. Maybe not "stupid movie", but that was the intent.

My point is this: don't bring it to the level of "you're just not smart enough, sir, to understand like me".

Sure, but it was less about "not getting" the movie than it was making a base, crayon-sharp "criticism" of it.

I found it interesting that the biggest offender
(imo) 'SAW' wasn't included in their execution of the story. Those movies aren't about horror at all. Just pain and suffering
...oh wait. That's right...this was a Lionsgate production.

Heh.

The whole movie is based on a group of scientist who essentially trap 5 innocent young people into dying to appease the gods that used to rule the planet. First off all the scientist were funny at times I admit, but the fact that they were laughing while they were killing innocent people was not. Second, your telling me all of the fantasy monsters every though of really exist and they have simply captured them all to do with what they want? Really?

Overall I give the movie credit for having a creative new idea, but I thought the execution was poor. I didn't feel like going into detail so instead I said it was a stupid movie to sum it up. Most people I have talked to about it I told them it was "very weird" and they agreed. But since this is a thread of wannabe movie critics I guess I had to go into more detail.

The whole movie is based on a group of scientist who essentially trap 5 innocent young people into dying to appease the gods that used to rule the planet. First off all the scientist were funny at times I admit, but the fact that they were laughing while they were killing innocent people was not. Second, your telling me all of the fantasy monsters every though of really exist and they have simply captured them all to do with what they want? Really?

Overall I give the movie credit for having a creative new idea, but I thought the execution was poor. I didn't feel like going into detail so instead I said it was a stupid movie to sum it up. Most people I have talked to about it I told them it was "very weird" and they agreed. But since this is a thread of wannabe movie critics I guess I had to go into more detail.

The scientists laugh because it's the only way they can do their (very important) jobs without going insane - they desensitize themselves. The mythical creatures exist, yes, but they're a product of the Old Gods and not freaky lab experiments or "captures".

big ander

1) "You are", not "your"
2) The...the fantasy monsters existing bothered you? But you also hated that it wasn't a horror movie? You know that most horror movies assume supernatural creatures exist, right?
3) them laughing while killing innocent people is consistent because a) they consider it as having been their choice to ignore all the warning signs b) they are desensitized and only worried about appeasing the gods, at whatever cost. That part not necessarily supposed to be funny, but if you understand the allegorical meaning of the film it shouldn't bother you. and that meaning is...
4) the film isn't just about what you described. It's about the declining and derivative state of the horror genre. It's a lot more complicated and metaphorical than you understood.

And your "wannabe movie critics" comment is hilarious. Trying to seem superior by seeming more ignorant is contradictory. Delving into very obvious metaphorical meanings isn't pretension.

charsace

The Unicorn death was the best. Didn't expect it.

I thought the elder gods symbolized execs. All of what was going on in the cabin was happening because that's how the elder gods/execs wanted it.

I thought Marty represented real weed smokers well. Movies always try to show weed smokers as being dumb and not knowing wtf is going on. There are a lot of artists though that feel like they do their best work while high and that it improves your thought process. I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon and Goddard are weed smokers.

And the heroes of the movie in my mind are the people working for the evil corporation. They are cold and uncaring in regards to what's going on around them, but they are like soldiers; they do what most people wouldn't want to do, and become desensitized to the terrible things they have to do.

And that Unicorn kill was fucking awesome. That motherfucker would be my avatar I didn't think people would bitch about it. Truly one of the most awesome things in the history of film.

thecheese

Absolutely loved the movie.

Dunno if this was brought up yet, but I find it odd that
they didn't do more with the one-way mirror. They spent a decent amount of time on it in the beginning, and it wasn't seen again after that. The film-makers could have used it in some pretty creative ways imo.

My brother and I saw it on Friday night... absolutely amazing film. Easily one of my favourite films ever and one of the best I've seen in a long, long time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The movie was nowhere near my radar, but after reading the first three pages of this thread, I'm planning on seeing it. Didn't think it looked good, based on the tv trailer.

I have a question, since I'm trying not to spoil the movie, what kind of horror film is it?

I don't hate that it's not a horror movie, it's the way the movie was advertised to be a horror movie which it is not. I also don't care about supernatural things being real, but in most cases it's a freak accident or one supernatural being, not oh we have one of these, two of these, captured one of these. It just doesn't seem realistic. And the "scientist" being desensitized.. why? If it's required why not just tell everyone and get it over with? Just so we are clear, I generally am pretty dull to horror movies to begin with. I'm not trying to be superior at all, but saying a post is "caveman-ish" is. If you like this movie fine, but my point still stands that the people who seem to like it are die hard horror fans and your post's only solidify that.

That is all. I'm out.

I don't hate that it's not a horror movie, it's the way the movie was advertised to be a horror movie which it is not. I also don't care about supernatural things being real, but in most cases it's a freak accident or one supernatural being, not oh we have one of these, two of these, captured one of these. It just doesn't seem realistic. And the "scientist" being desensitized.. why? If it's required why not just tell everyone and get it over with? Just so we are clear, I generally am pretty dull to horror movies to begin with. I'm not trying to be superior at all, but saying a post is "caveman-ish" is. If you like this movie fine, but my point still stands that the people who seem to like it are die hard horror fans and your post's only solidify that.

That is all. I'm out.

your opinion is your opinion but you think it would be a good idea to tell the general public that there are elder gods who must receive human sacrafices to be appeased? lulz

And the "scientist" being desensitized.. why?

Because that's how we watch horror films.

Really, everything in the film was explained. That was one of the nodes they were hitting: how modern horror tries to be scary by being vague.

I don't understand why you're having a shit-fit just because some of us got more out of the movie than you.

And "wannabe movie critics"? I did not know that having an opinion was a negative.

I have a question, since I'm trying not to spoil the movie, what kind of horror film is it?

Satire. Heavy fucking satire.

Absolutely loved the movie.

Dunno if this was brought up yet, but I find it odd that
they didn't do more with the one-way mirror. They spent a decent amount of time on it in the beginning, and it wasn't seen again after that. The film-makers could have used it in some pretty creative ways imo.
Yeah I brought it up.
Someone made the good point that maybe it was there just to stir things up between the people (sex, jealousy etc
.)

Fun movie. The idea was better than the execution for me though. Like the last half hour for example
on paper, every monster known to man attacking a bunch of people sounds amazing. But the relatively cheap looking CGI and the messiness of it all took away from the scene

Still I enjoyed it quite a bit. Actually that hallway with all the blood and shit makes me want a good F.E.A.R. movie now haha.

Saw this friday and really enjoyed it, and im not even a big horror film guy. Only thing was I was at an older theater so the screen was pretty dark, making some scenes hard to see. Namely outdoor scenes around the cabin, when it was dark. Might go watch it again at another theater, but this is for sure buy on bluray for me.

Fun movie. The idea was better than the execution for me though. Like the last half hour for example
on paper, every monster known to man attacking a bunch of people sounds amazing. But the relatively cheap looking CGI and the messiness of it all took away from the scene

I have no idea how any studio would greenlight this movie from that pitch.

Oh wait, yes I do. MGM was bleeding to death.

big ander

I thought the elder gods symbolized execs. All of what was going on in the cabin was happening because that's how the elder gods/execs wanted it.
That works too, if you think of execs as wanting to please the audiences. They're nearly the same message. I might like yours better though. It doesn't place blame on the audience as much.

That is all. I'm out.
It is a horror movie. By definition. It's also a satirical comedy, a bit of a straight-up monster adventure, and more. Hybridity.
It's not a freak accident in most cases. Having more than one monster doesn't really change the amount of realism at all.
The scientists are desensitized. Speaking "the why" would be silly, because the why is part of the subtext where the film is about the horror genre. If you make subtext overt, it's not subtext. Making it overt would hamper its effect.
I'm not a die hard horror fan. I've seen enough horror though. And its tropes are heavily ingrained into pop culture. That knowledge of them is enough to get the allegory.

Brinbe

Watched it earlier today and thought it was hilarious and thoroughly entertaining. Simply loved it. I can see why some people may be turned off by this flick, but for most ppl on GAF, this shit is right in our wheelhouse.

One thing that's been bugging me, where was the
whispering voice
coming from?

That was them. It was amplified because of the numbing agents that were being pumped throughout the cabin. Even though Marty could resist it a little, and even hear it, he still succumbed due to already being under a drug.

charsace

And this movie is on a different level than Tucker and Dale in regards to depth and has a different aim. And I liked Tucker and Dale.

And this movie is on a different level than Tucker and Dale in regards to depth and has a different aim. And I liked Tucker and Dale.

That was a parody. I don't mean to sound like the Lit Major Nazi when I keep making these posts, but there is a difference between a parody (Rick Rouse and Monald Muck, comedic retelling of a classic situation) and satire (making commentary about a situation while at the same time being it).

charsace

That was a parody. I don't mean to sound like the Lit Major Nazi when I keep making these posts, but there is a difference between a parody (Rick Rouse and Monald Muck, comedic retelling of a classic situation) and satire (making commentary about a situation while at the same time being it).

That's why I said it has a different aim. To me this movie was more intelligent and has more depth.

I DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE. If you did good for you, it's my opinion and we all have one. But don't try to act like I'm wrong and your right.

I DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE. If you did good for you, it's my opinion and we all have one. But don't try to act like I'm wrong and your right.

your opinion can't be wrong but the things you base your opinion on can be misinformed. if you didn't like the movie you didn't. no need to waste anymore of your time!

Phenomic

So my mind doesn't work well with horror movies, and I will be straight up honest I feel like I have a hard time separating them from reality. Is this a horror movie that is really going to mess with my mind? Or is it something that I could handle? Perhaps I should ask is it really demonic or full of just gore and murder?

Very interesting read for those who have seen the film: http://io9.com/5902424/everything-you-didnt-know-about-cabin-in-the-woods

So my mind doesn't work well with horror movies, and I will be straight up honest I feel like I have a hard time separating them from reality. Is this a horror movie that is really going to mess with my mind? Or is it something that I could handle? Perhaps I should ask is it really demonic or full of just gore and murder?

1) That's one of the things this movie is about. The effects of horror movies on people.
2) Yes, but only in the sense that it has a message. It's not a "mindfuck" film like Inception. It has a very clear message it is trying to convey.
3) What do you mean by demonic vs. gore? It's got a fair amount of gore, especially in the finale.

But don't try to act like I'm wrong and your right.

Only one person here so far has done that, and as I recall, I defended you instantly even though I disagree with your opinion.

You're the one that's constantly coming into a thread on the internet to tell internet people to stop writing things.

nothing difficult to wrap your mind around here. you won't walk out of the theater being confused about what happened

My wife is like you and thought the first two acts were too scary, but she still thought the third was fucking awesome. Up to you if it's worth it or not. In my opinion this should not be missed, provided you can handle the gore. Make no mistake - it is a bloodbath of the highest order.

This thread has way too many black bars. If you haven't seen it then don't go on the last few pages!

This movie's secrets should be preserved as long as possible. We need 'em.

I don't really understand the distinction you're drawing. There's plenty of blood and carnage and the kills feel pretty brutal, if that's what you mean.

This movie's secrets should be preserved as long as possible. We need 'em.

I think I figured out
what 1998 was. There was only one horror film in 1998 which defied modern archetypes: The Faculty. And how was the big bad in that killed? Drugs

This movie is fucking clever.

big ander

Calm down. Nobody is saying you're wrong for not liking the movie. We're saying you're wrong for using "your" instead of "you're" and for misunderstanding the central metaphor and for complaining about realism in odd places.
I think I figured out
what 1998 was. There was only one horror film in 1998 which defied modern archetypes: The Faculty. And how was the big bad in that killed? Drugs

This movie is fucking clever.

Oh shit. Nice find. I'll have to watch that.

charsace

I doubt that any sequel that is done to this would be able to touch Cabin in the Woods. Maybe there can be a prequel about the collecting.

HiResDes

Just posted this review in the movie thread:

Cabin in the Woods - The great thing about satires is that any point of critique concerning them can easily be rebutted or excused as purposeful transgressions. Cabin in the Woods relies on a sort of hip acknowledgement by the audience of the classic troupes and cliches of the horror genre to realize it's humor and also the few points in which it flips these old standbys on their head. However, the film's biggest flaw is that the transcendent moments are too far and in between. It's dependence on external input, or rather on a cheesy meta-communicative stimulant far outweighs the few showings of actual independent theatrical creativity. It's neither ridiculous enough nor brilliant enough to truly ascend above the films it satirizes, and as a result the whole thing just comes off as one big smug, masturbatory inside-joke amongst Whedon and his lackies, though I did enjoy the last twenty minutes of the film. 5/10

bachikarn

That works too, if you think of execs as wanting to please the audiences. They're nearly the same message. I might like yours better though. It doesn't place blame on the audience as much.

I like that interpretation better. It also makes sense from a hierarchical standpoint. Movie execs are the bosses of movie directions just like the elder gods are the bosses of the director.

I also see movie execs getting a lot more angry if a movie doesn't follow a certain formula because that's what sells. Movie fans have been more supportive of innovations in story telling.

thecheese

Yeah I brought it up.
Someone made the good point that maybe it was there just to stir things up between the people (sex, jealousy etc
.)

True, but I would have loved to see one of the characters looking into the mirror, and a zombie hillbilly looking from the other side. Then BAM, axe in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom