• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

At least one sacrifice must be successful to appease all the ancient ones. It hinges on America because every other sacrifice has failed, which is purportedly unprecedented.

Gotcha. I figured it might have been something like that.

kinggroin

Banned
At least one sacrifice must be successful to appease all the ancient ones. It hinges on America because every other sacrifice has failed, which is purportedly unprecedented.

People have seen enough horror movies that desensitization kicks in, and so, they know how to win.

I imagine when these movies and monsters and ways were newer, fresher, the success rate across all countries was much higher (obviously)

I have no idea why people think this would be in any way the same category as this film, unless of course, you took it at face value.

Going from a dark comedy with a message to a plain old action horror film is an odd concept.

There's nothing left to say by the film's end. It's made its point.

Why would going from a message movie to the thing that it was against work at all?

Because of the kickass-factor!

Besides, the sequel could rift on Godzilla/King Kong genre of monster movies instead of 70-90s slasher/horror movies this movie did.
The Ancients were Gods when the only other challengers to them were either animals or man that only had access to spears. Ending the world & all of human life might not be so easy for them now.
They could be destroying buildings, skyscrapers & pagodas while the army deals with them

RedStep

NEED HELP

This is a little off-topic, but I'm trying to figure out a what a horror movie is that I saw a month or so ago.

Some couple(Which are trying to get over one another from cheating) go to some house in the woods, the guy forgot cigs, so he goes back out to get some while she stays home. Some hooded assailants show up and fuck with his wife while he's gone. He returns and the movie gets turned up fast.

All I can remember is the guy ends up shooting his friends head off with a shotgun in the house thinking it's one of the hooded assailants. Some chasing around but they get both of them in the end and tie them up in chair. Than they simply stab them as they plead to live. They're left to die.

The killers ride off in the end in a truck. Supposedly based a true story, as no one knows what happened and who did it.

Only movie I could find was THEM, but those aren't the actors that I saw.

The Strangers. Remake of Them (Ils)

Because of the kickass-factor!

So, would you approve of Jaws 2 being about the shark suddenly learning how to fly and growing machine guns for wings? How about The Godfather 2 suddenly being about Michael having to learn how to be a dad while attending his high school reunion and having lack of sex with his wife?

I mean, if you want to take away everything the first film was about for a sequel that simply is popcorn.

Making a fuddy duddy monster movie simply to get asses in seats would go against the message of the film.

Besides, the sequel could rift on Godzilla/King Kong genre of monster movies instead of 70-90s slasher/horror movies this movie did.

Cabin in the Woods was riffing on modern horror films because they suck and need to change, not because they could.

It was a satire, not a parody.

I don't see how they could do anything more. They covered all of their bases. There's nothing left (literally - they ended the fucking world). I don't see how doing a "riff" on Giant Monster Movies is going to add anything. Making sequels to Message Movies is fucking hard, because you have already given the message. You already accomplished what you originally set out to do.

Cabin in the Woods was not Scary Movie.

Ridley327

Army of Darkness?

Outside of the setting, it's still very much a goofy horror-comedy like Evil Dead 2.

It can be argued that the Evil Dead sequels all but abandoned the Lovecraftian dread of the original for the increased slapstick, but the original wasn't exactly humorless.

Hm.

That one's tough. Primarily for two reasons:

1) Alien was not a Message Movie, they set out to make a pure entertainment film
2) The "leap" from horror to action made sense within even the context of the first film; it just felt like a logical continuation of the narrative

Army of Darkness?

Ridley beat it to me.

And ED2 was a remake of ED1.

My original point was that making a Cabin 2 just because "it would be awesome" would be a fucking stupid move. It wouldn't be a satire anymore, it would devolve into what it was speaking out against. The humor would only get more and more elaborately obvious. Cabin was, in their own words, "a loving hate letter"; that doesn't sound like something Joss Whedon is interested in sequelizing or exploring further (because as before stated, any further exploration would go into parody/spoof territory).

Drew Goddard apparently thinks there's stuff left over, so I'll raise my eyebrows. But only as in "seriously, dude?".

Toddler

Nah, not Norman Bates. Though that's a good guess. Apparently the Visual Companion says that he's a nerdy-looking guy who disappears around corners, and when you make it around the corner there's blood everywhere? I dunno.

Drew Goodard was quoted saying (and I'm paraphrasing)
Kevin is like your average, normal guy, probably works at Best Buy, except he dismembers people

It's said to be in the Visual Guide released with the movie.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just watched this film - i usually love horror movie send ups but this wasn't the best.

it wasn't a bad film by any means - it's just that there was nothing special about any of the individual components of the movie.

i liked tucker and dale, behind the mask and trick r treat more.

i liked tucker and dale, behind the mask and trick r treat more.

I can see people being completely disappointed if they went in thinking this was going to be slapstick and a parody.

But why include Trick 'r Treat on the list? That's a full-on horror movie. It's neither a parody, satire, or farce. It's not deconstructing anything. The stories all revolve around Halloween traditions.

aaaaaaaaaaand now I'm gonna watch it tonight.

*pops in Blu-Ray*

big ander

Drew Goodard was quoted saying (and I'm paraphrasing)
Kevin is like your average, normal guy, probably works at Best Buy, except he dismembers people

It's said to be in the Visual Guide released with the movie.

Yeah I quoted the visual guide in my post, it doesn't sound like Norman Bates to me. But if you had already looked it up in the visual guide I'm not sure why you came to ask if that was right

Totakeke

Just came back from the movie. I don't watch horror movies often, but I can see why the movie got the scores/ratings it got. The movie itself isn't that good though I thought. Definitely wished it was actually much more scarier.

KevinCow

Banned
Something I found curious in retrospect:
There are so many direct references to other horror movies, like Deadites on the board and totally not Pinhead with his totally not a puzzle box. But I didn't see any sort of direct references to Freddy or Jason, which I find kinda odd. While Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street didn't invent horror or even the teen slasher genre, they were significant influence in developing it into what it is today, and introduced and popularized many of the tropes that Cabin references. Seems weird to not give a nod to them, unless maybe I just missed it.

What is this
Kevin
everyone is talking about?

On the board that listed the monsters that the kids could've summoned that the people underground were betting on, full of stuff like Zombies, Werewolf, Witches, Sexy Witches, and Angry Molesting Tree, there's one entry that reads simply: Kevin.

Totakeke

If you view the whole movie as satire, there's two things I don't really get as to what they're referring to.

The employees wanted to see the nude scene but didn't get to.

What was the speakerphone joke all about?

oatmeal

Banned
That and its possible there could be other ancients that look different; the one that lives under North America could just happen to be a big dude.

Either way it didn't bother me, I still thought the ending was bad ass.

Could be that
is another satirical look at our audience. Since America is so fat, it is only fitting that the Ancient in America is a massive dude. :)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Were the
Ancients
referencing
Lovecraft
or the
Aztecs
? I wanted to say
Lovecraft Ancients
, but all the imagery in the beginning of the film and some stuff toward the end makes me think
Aztecs

LakeEarth

Were the
Ancients
referencing
Lovecraft
or the
Aztecs
? I wanted to say
Lovecraft Ancients
, but all the imagery in the beginning of the film and some stuff toward the end makes me think
Aztecs

I think the
intro was just trying to say that we've been appeasing these gods for centuries.

People keep harping on the fact that in Japan and other countries, the archetypes that got killed were different (18-25 year olds vs school girls), and wonder if they are trying to appease different gods. I don't think exactly how they do it matters, just that they do it.

Saw this tonight.

Everything pre-
elevator
was good to average.
Everything post-
elevator
was totally awesome.

Overall, the build up was worth it because what a fucking pay-off. Such a clever film. As a film student who loves to read into things way too much, this film was perfect for me.

Were the
Ancients
referencing
Lovecraft
or the
Aztecs
? I wanted to say
Lovecraft Ancients
Aztecs

When your sentence is like that, spoiler it all, please.

Regarding the direction, I loved that
when the "Wonkavators" opened up, it was just a static shot with the monsters going apeshit. No shaky-cam, no "action" editing, no tortured W.S. Anderson suuuper slooooow motion.

really enjoyed this movie. rather predictable at times, but it was an interesting concept with an epic ending.

How did redhead survive being tossed around by the big dude for about 10 minutes virtually unharmed?
dunno. especially considering
during the party, you could see her throwing up a gigantic gush of blood.
We all wondered about that.

Decado

I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but can someone give me an idea of what this movie is like (comparable one)? I don't generally care for horror movies unless they are horror/action. I guess the movies that are closest to horror that I like are The Descent, The Thing (1980), 30 Days of Night, The Mist etc.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but can someone give me an idea of what this movie is like (comparable one)? I don't generally care for horror movies unless they are horror/action. I guess the movies that are closest to horror that I like are The Descent, The Thing (1980), 30 Days of Night, The Mist etc.

I'm honestly not sure if something is comparable. I was about to post Scream, but then thought better of it.

I think Scream did a much better job of doing what this movie did, and did it in a way that regular audiences and not just geeks could "get it".

I'm not trying to sound like a raging fanboy with a raging boner with my posts, but Scream did not even touch the level of commentary that Cabin did. Scream, while using the same tracks, was an entirely different train with an entirely different destination. Scream waited for cars to stop. Cabin could give less of a fuck if it crashed into them.

devenger

The way I understood it, any country could do it, just had to be one. And it had to be by that country's cultural standards. U.S. always pulled theirs off, just later than Japan.

I took it that any horror movie we watch, for any given year, could be that year's, that country's attempt at sacrifice. All of the movies that fit the horror tropes are successful wins for the US lab team.

So the one that went sour in '98, does that mean a movie that didn't follow the rules, didn't end the way it was supposed to, according to the tropes? People have mentioned the Faculty, but I haven't seen it.

unfortunately we both figured out what the "twist" (if you could even call it that) was during
the opening credits. All the images of human sacrifice, etc.

This. Couldn't we have spent the first half hour to forty five minutes coming to the conclusion that they were being sacrificed? Tipping your hand on the entire motivation of the group's efforts in the opening credits is a weird choice. Bugged me.

I was disappointed it was a humanoid hand.

I thought it went really well with the 'subverting genres' theme to have it not be anything Cthulu-esqe like we were all expecting.

I don't understand people doubting the scale or wondering about the origin of the tech. That's the world they created, one where the most super secret group on the planet had the resources to capture real werewolves and hell lords and store them underground.

I really enjoyed it, favorite scene was definitely the purge. I don't know if it was a horror movie. I know it was about horror movies. I guess I don't care. It was hilarious too.

I think someone said before, so I'm agreeing: the real twist was the promise of the white board. Seeing all of those scenarios and monsters in their own cube zoo, and their entire attack made everything worthwhile.

I wished they wouldn't have told me the sacrifice angle in the credits, and surprised me with the force field (I get that it built the expectation better, but save that for multiple viewings! You only get to be surprised once.)

Other than that, I thought it was really well done.

As far as morality goes, human hand or no, the plot was entirely Lovecraftian. So there are no winners.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
One of the best payoffs in a movie. That ending was glorious.

Anyone got a screen shot of that
monster list up on the white board
?

Also,
Here's the best character in the movie hands down.
e20477199ethumb.png.png

The accompanying twinkling sound was hilarious

KevinCow

Banned
I think someone said before, so I'm agreeing: the real twist was the promise of the white board. Seeing all of those scenarios and monsters in their own cube zoo, and their entire attack made everything worthwhile.

I can't be the only one who was disappointed when they showed that board after getting the zombie redneck torture family. Zombie redneck torture family is so boring compared to some of the things they could've gotten, like Angry Molesting Tree or Sexy Witches. Why couldn't we see some of those?

Then when they go down the elevator, I can't be the only who was excited to see these other creatures, but still disappointed that we didn't get to see them rampaging around.

Then I became giddy with excitement the second that big red PURGE button appeared on screen.

Man, what a cathartic scene.

LakeEarth

Shaun of the Dead, mix of wacky and horror. Different humor and horror though. It works on a different "level" for both though.

devenger

Man, what a cathartic scene.

I think you nailed it.

The option we got was a little on the disappointing side, making that purge reveal expectation times twenty. I laughed with glee.

Also, prequels would be so easy to make. Different locations, different monsters get the spotlight, and none of it matters, because Japan saves our asses every year.

I think you nailed it.

The option we got was a little on the disappointing side, making that purge reveal expectation times twenty. I laughed with glee.

Also, prequels would be so easy to make. Different locations, different monsters get the spotlight, and none of it matters, because Japan saves our asses every year.

Doesn't Japan constantly fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom