• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a fantastic movie. Very funny, very intelligent, and filled with some great commentary on society and popular culture. Much of what has run through my mind has already been said in this thread, but I just have to echo what people have already gone over.

It's a wonderfully subversive film, and it makes a lot of good points, while also being extremely entertaining. Definitely an instant classic.

That was explained in the movie by
Marty messing around with the electrical box in the elevator. The "higher-ups" were the people on the surface, i.e. those not in the bunker.

yeah. this is what i got from it.
they only said, 'the people upstairs'... and the cabin was right above them.

i saw it today with my 85 grandmother. at her request, no less. and the last time she saw a movie in the theater was 'zodiac' 5 years ago.

anyway, it was a different take on a pretty routine genre. and we thought it was cool.

Symphonic

...seriously?

A young woman in the woods is stabbed in the hand, she screams and runs, a young man with her is stabbed in the back, and a man carrying a bear trap on the end of a long chain swings it and it catches on a woman's back; the man drags her, he starts a saw, the young woman screams and then goes silent when the man cuts her head off (blood pours into a chamber).
► A young man driving an RV is stabbed through the back of the neck (we see the point poke out through his throat and we see blood spray) and he is stabbed again; the RV veers off the road and into a body of water, the young woman who was in the RV swims toward the shore, a zombie from the RV grabs her foot as she swims, she kicks and climbs onto a pier where another zombie carrying a bear trap approaches and they fight (we see the young woman being thrown back and forth across the pier as she struggles with the zombie, blood sprays on the pier and it looks like vomit).
► A zombie comes up from behind a young man, the young man runs into her (she is covered with blood), he hits the zombie and knocks her down, another zombie throws a severed head at a young woman who catches it (it is a young woman's head covered with blood), and she drops it and screams. A zombie grabs a young man through a window and pulls him outside (the young man screams), they fight, the zombie throws a large pair of shears into the young man's back (we see blood and the young man screams), the zombie drags him into the woods and we see blood flow into a chamber. A zombie swings a large bear trap by a chain, it catches onto a young man's back (blood sprays) and a young woman stabs the zombie in the head and face repeatedly.
► A young man and a young woman climb into a hole in the ground and the young man says, "I had to dismember that guy with a trowel" and we see a pile of zombie bits in the corner of a room. Several zombies break through the windows of a cabin and a young man and a young woman hide in the basement where the young woman says, "This is where he killed them."
► Many people scream and run through hallways and out of elevators, and they are attacked by many types of creatures: some are eaten by the creatures (a huge snake eats people), a woman shoots herself in the head, a creature vomits into a man's mouth (he's held on a table), we hear screaming and a large winged creature breaks into a room where a young man and a young woman are hiding and the creature eats a man (we see blood smear on the wall), a big-toothed creature bites a man on the neck, a unicorn stabs a man through the stomach with its horn (we hear a squish and blood pours from the wound), a man shoots several creatures, they attack him, put an explosive device inside him and he is blown to bloody bits as other people in the room are thrown from the blast, a man is killed and blood sprays out, a woman is taken through the ceiling by a serpent and a young woman stabs a man in the stomach (we see blood and hear a crunch).
► A young man attacks a zombie that is fighting with a young woman, and the young woman then strikes the zombie with a piece of timber and the zombie falls into a lake but then surfaces again.
► A man with several saw blades sticking out of his head stares at a young woman. A creature with big teeth lunges toward a young man and a young woman in an elevator, a ghost swirls around and toward them and a small girl with a huge mouth filled with teeth looks at them.
► A young woman holds a gun on a young man, a creature bites her, the young man shoots the creature (we see the young woman with a lot of blood on the bite wound), the young man and the young woman fight over the gun, and another creature hits the young woman in the hand with an ax and blood sprays. A man with a gun threatens a young man and a young woman, and the two steal the man's gun and get away leaving the man on the floor where a severed zombie arm crawls toward him and onto his face.
► A young man and a young woman sit in a room, the ground shakes, rubble falls around them and a huge hand breaks up through the ground. A dismembered zombie arm falls into an elevator car where a young man and a young woman are standing (we see the two with blood on their faces from previous fights).
► A young man speeds a motorcycle across a deep gorge, crashes into something halfway across and explodes into sparks and disintegrates. A bird flies into a force field of some sort and we see a flash as the bird disintegrates.
► A zombie with a knife pulls himself out of the ground, and then a man with a saw does the same followed by a woman. On a video feed we see a woman floating in the air surrounded by school-aged girls, the girls are chanting, the floating woman screams as light shoots out from her and she turns into a frog. On a video feed, we see a woman floating in the air surrounded by frightened young girls in a classroom.
► A young man hears voices, he yells and is frustrated. A young woman goes into a dark cellar on a dare and finds many old photos and personal items of the people who used to live in the house. The mouth of a tunnel collapses as an RV speeds toward the opening, and the driver speeds in the opposite direction to avoid the debris. An RV speeding through a tunnel bumps into the wall and the driver struggles to right the vehicle.
► During the opening sequence we see puddles of blood interspersed with etchings of murder and human sacrifice. A young man is shown with blood on his forehead. A young man looks at a painting of people sacrificing a goat with a large blade. We see a picture of dogs pulling at bloody tissue of a carcass.
► Several young men and young women run into their individual rooms and the doors are locked (they then become frightened). Several young men and young women are frightened with a cellar door flies open. A young man goes inside a decrepit gas station and is startled when an attendant asks him what he's doing; the attendant goes on to be insulting and threatening and calls one of the young women in the group a derogatory name.

...seriously?

A young woman in the woods is stabbed in the hand, she screams and runs, a young man with her is stabbed in the back, and a man carrying a bear trap on the end of a long chain swings it and it catches on a woman's back; the man drags her, he starts a saw, the young woman screams and then goes silent when the man cuts her head off (blood pours into a chamber).
► A young man driving an RV is stabbed through the back of the neck (we see the point poke out through his throat and we see blood spray) and he is stabbed again; the RV veers off the road and into a body of water, the young woman who was in the RV swims toward the shore, a zombie from the RV grabs her foot as she swims, she kicks and climbs onto a pier where another zombie carrying a bear trap approaches and they fight (we see the young woman being thrown back and forth across the pier as she struggles with the zombie, blood sprays on the pier and it looks like vomit).
► A zombie comes up from behind a young man, the young man runs into her (she is covered with blood), he hits the zombie and knocks her down, another zombie throws a severed head at a young woman who catches it (it is a young woman's head covered with blood), and she drops it and screams. A zombie grabs a young man through a window and pulls him outside (the young man screams), they fight, the zombie throws a large pair of shears into the young man's back (we see blood and the young man screams), the zombie drags him into the woods and we see blood flow into a chamber. A zombie swings a large bear trap by a chain, it catches onto a young man's back (blood sprays) and a young woman stabs the zombie in the head and face repeatedly.
► A young man and a young woman climb into a hole in the ground and the young man says, "I had to dismember that guy with a trowel" and we see a pile of zombie bits in the corner of a room. Several zombies break through the windows of a cabin and a young man and a young woman hide in the basement where the young woman says, "This is where he killed them."
► Many people scream and run through hallways and out of elevators, and they are attacked by many types of creatures: some are eaten by the creatures (a huge snake eats people), a woman shoots herself in the head, a creature vomits into a man's mouth (he's held on a table), we hear screaming and a large winged creature breaks into a room where a young man and a young woman are hiding and the creature eats a man (we see blood smear on the wall), a big-toothed creature bites a man on the neck, a unicorn stabs a man through the stomach with its horn (we hear a squish and blood pours from the wound), a man shoots several creatures, they attack him, put an explosive device inside him and he is blown to bloody bits as other people in the room are thrown from the blast, a man is killed and blood sprays out, a woman is taken through the ceiling by a serpent and a young woman stabs a man in the stomach (we see blood and hear a crunch).
► A young man attacks a zombie that is fighting with a young woman, and the young woman then strikes the zombie with a piece of timber and the zombie falls into a lake but then surfaces again.
► A man with several saw blades sticking out of his head stares at a young woman. A creature with big teeth lunges toward a young man and a young woman in an elevator, a ghost swirls around and toward them and a small girl with a huge mouth filled with teeth looks at them.
► A young woman holds a gun on a young man, a creature bites her, the young man shoots the creature (we see the young woman with a lot of blood on the bite wound), the young man and the young woman fight over the gun, and another creature hits the young woman in the hand with an ax and blood sprays. A man with a gun threatens a young man and a young woman, and the two steal the man's gun and get away leaving the man on the floor where a severed zombie arm crawls toward him and onto his face.
► A young man and a young woman sit in a room, the ground shakes, rubble falls around them and a huge hand breaks up through the ground. A dismembered zombie arm falls into an elevator car where a young man and a young woman are standing (we see the two with blood on their faces from previous fights).
► A young man speeds a motorcycle across a deep gorge, crashes into something halfway across and explodes into sparks and disintegrates. A bird flies into a force field of some sort and we see a flash as the bird disintegrates.
► A zombie with a knife pulls himself out of the ground, and then a man with a saw does the same followed by a woman. On a video feed we see a woman floating in the air surrounded by school-aged girls, the girls are chanting, the floating woman screams as light shoots out from her and she turns into a frog. On a video feed, we see a woman floating in the air surrounded by frightened young girls in a classroom.
► A young man hears voices, he yells and is frustrated. A young woman goes into a dark cellar on a dare and finds many old photos and personal items of the people who used to live in the house. The mouth of a tunnel collapses as an RV speeds toward the opening, and the driver speeds in the opposite direction to avoid the debris. An RV speeding through a tunnel bumps into the wall and the driver struggles to right the vehicle.
► During the opening sequence we see puddles of blood interspersed with etchings of murder and human sacrifice. A young man is shown with blood on his forehead. A young man looks at a painting of people sacrificing a goat with a large blade. We see a picture of dogs pulling at bloody tissue of a carcass.
► Several young men and young women run into their individual rooms and the doors are locked (they then become frightened). Several young men and young women are frightened with a cellar door flies open. A young man goes inside a decrepit gas station and is startled when an attendant asks him what he's doing; the attendant goes on to be insulting and threatening and calls one of the young women in the group a derogatory name.

But you see, those would only scare babies.

Oh, and possibly women.

Yeah, there's loads and loads of gore in this movie.

Especially the scene where they unleash the monsters on the guards. Blood everywhere.

Saw this last night, I thought it was really great. I recall seeing some complaints about no character development, but the characters weren't themselves at all for you know, spoilers and then if you have complaints about that. How else would they play their roles and make sure that [spoilers]The virgin is the last one standing??[/spoiler]

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed just for the first half of the movie, I mean I thought it was decent, but man the 2nd half was so crazy and good.

I know a lot of people have been debating on what genre it falls in and I guess I'd be in the camp that it's a comedy movie first, but IDK at the same time I feel like it's still more of a horror film than what is released nowadays.

I can't wait to get this on bluray to see what I think about it when I watch it more.

Just came back from seeing it.

How did the one guy pull the lever when he thought that Marty died, even though the latter didn't? Where did the blood come from?
This bothered me to, but I think this is what happened. It might be stretching it a bit, but I think it makes sense to be honest.

How do the guys get blood from people who die in the first place? I'm assuming the ground sucks in their blood right? So I figure what happened was when that guy flipped the switch, he was actually getting the zombie blood while the stoner guy was chopping him into pieces
That's the only way I see it makes sense to be honest.

daycru

How do the guys get blood from people who die in the first place? I'm assuming the ground sucks in their blood right? So I figure what happened was when that guy flipped the switch, he was actually getting the zombie blood while the stoner guy was chopping him into pieces
That's the only way I see it makes sense to be honest.
That's the way I saw it too.

so if it REALLY mattered,
was there an explanation as to why they just didn't capture kids and sacrifice them? i understand that it was like a game between countries, but, the consequences were really not something you goof around about.

Lakitu

st5fu
Another scene that made me laugh:
the guy screaming at the TV after the Japanese children turn that ghost into a frog.

was there an explanation as to why they just didn't capture kids and sacrifice them? i understand that it was like a game between countries, but, the consequences were really not something you goof around about.

Yeah, I asked this before.
Apparently they have to "willingly" sacrifice themselves. Which is why they choose which way they want to die. Of course, that mentality is sort of thrown out the window the minute Sigourney Weaver's character tries to kill Marty. Seeing as how he isn't really so willing to die at that point.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm sure this has been answered, so if there's a post, a heads up would be great.
But its been said that america fails, right? With the failures being survivors? So then does the failure rate only count towards series with a defined villain? Because the final destination series has had 5 movies with no survivors.

My bad

Yeah, I asked this before. Apparently they have to "willingly" sacrifice themselves. Which is why they choose which way they want to die. Of course, that mentality is sort of thrown out the window the minute Sigourney Weaver's character tries to kill Marty. Seeing as how he isn't really so willing to die at that point.

This was explained in detail. Multiple times, in fact.
The Ancient Ones were watching the events unfold, and wanted them to transgress. Marty and Dana very obviously transgressed by entering the Ritual Chamber.

I'm sure this has been answered, so if there's a post, a heads up would be great.
But its been said that america fails, right? With the failures being survivors? So then does the failure rate only count towards series with a defined villain? Because the final destination series has had 5 movies with no survivors.

No.
Everyone CAN die. It's just The Virgin's death is optional, which is a direct reference to the Final Girl concept

Also, spoiler that shit.

It was fine. There were enough blood and guts to distract me from the Whedon dialogue.

I'd say it's in the same vein as Drag Me To Hell, only not nearly as good.

iammeiam

Because the Most Important Part is
putting on a good show. It's not enough that youth dies, it's that they die in a way that will appease the ancients. The reference to volcano sacrifices is meant to show that what they've had to do has evolved over time. Just as the audience (or studio execs) head into a movie expecting it to follow certain rules, the ancients expect certain things from the sacrificial ritual. You see people expecting boobs in an R-rated horror film, and the ancients expect boobs and sexual situations in their sacrifices from the US. People want the 'good' characters to survive, and the ancients want the virgin as last girl standing. People want to see the 'bad' characters punished, and so the promiscuous girl is punished for it first (it's also why they have to choose their fate--it's more fun that way.) It's why they altered the personalities of the kids to make them fit the character types. Taking all the kids in a room and just killing them wouldn't appease the ancients because watching it year after year would get really, really boring. The elements of choice and free will involved make it interesting, while the outside influences guarantee the ending they want.

This was explained in detail. Multiple times, in fact.
The Ancient Ones were watching the events unfold, and wanted them to transgress. Marty and Dana very obviously transgressed by entering the Ritual Chamber.
oh. now, on a similar note, remember when
the people underground worked it so that thor and that fake blonde had sex by pumping pheromones in the air and such? and richard jenkins said something about giving the audience what they wanted? did that mean that the gigantic underground god wanted to see that girl topless?

i thought that the entire scenario was a "behind the scenes" look at a typical horror movie and a reason for the existence of such films. the "audience" they talked about are the people in movie theaters watching it. because while i can understand the gods wanting sacrifices, i cant imagine them thinking , 'you know, before they die also, i want to see at least one girl take her top off'

with my line of thinking though (with these being essentially snuff films for movie theaters), it doesnt make sense that the people creating this scenario would play such games with such grave consequences.

oh. now, on a similar note, remember when
the people underground worked it so that thor and that fake blonde had sex by pumping pheromones in the air and such? and richard jenkins said something about giving the audience what they wanted? did that mean that the gigantic underground god wanted to see that girl topless?

i thought that the entire scenario was a "behind the scenes" look at a typical horror movie and a reason for the existence of such films. the "audience" they talked about are the people in movie theaters watching it. because while i can understand the gods wanting sacrifices, i cant imagine them thinking , 'you know, before they die also, i want to see at least one girl take her top off'

with my line of thinking though (with these being essentially snuff films for movie theaters), it doesnt make sense that the people creating this scenario would play such games with such grave consequences.

I took it to mean
that they transgressed by having sex. Weaver says they don't like youth.

Agreed, and no Count is not trolling.

His posts suggest otherwise. He doesn't care to actually discuss anything. He just wants a rile.

Dude by the very definition of gore you are wrong. Is it the goriest movie ever? No but that doesn't change the fact its probably the goriest mainstream movie that will come out this year.

lol.

No, you and anyone who thinks that list is "gore" is wrong.

It includes scenes of people talking... OMG, teh gore!

Gore is not merely blood or violence.

His posts suggest otherwise. He doesn't care to actually discuss anything. He just wants a rile.

lol.

Does it upset you that what you consider gore is not really gore in the context of a discussion of horror films?

Anyway, I'm sorry you are offended by me saying this is only gore in the eyes of children. That said, you don't need to make sexist comments about women. Women are not children.

gatti-man

lol.

Correct gore isn't just blood but blood is a part of gore. This film has blood and body parts all over the place it IS gory in a factual sense. You are wrong.

Correct gore isn't just blood but blood is a part of gore. This film has blood and body parts all over the place it IS gory in a factual sense. You are wrong.

I suspect that very few horror fans consider this film gory. I'd imagine very few action movie fans think that this film is gory. I suspect Twilight fans might agree with you, so who knows.

That some people raised in the post PG-13 world think this film is so gory as to need to be described as such kinda makes me chuckle.

Anyway, as I said in my first post, this movie is a comedy and is best suited to horror fans. I think some of you think I am slagging the film, when I am not.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I am confused by the "Not very gory" argument. Either I'm not aware of a deeper meaning to the word, or it has a different definition among horror fans. I thought the final scenes had enough content to justify the label. I'm interested in what it was lacking to be legitimately "gory." More hacking or something entirely not present?

The point this movie was trying to make summarized in one sentence.

Apparently, the film has as many points as it has gore. :p

I am confused by the "Not very gory" argument. Either I'm not aware of a deeper meaning to the word, or it has a different definition among horror fans. I thought the final scenes had enough content to justify the label. I'm interested in what it was lacking to be legitimately "gory." More hacking or something entirely not present?

Lingering, close-up, red, internal, moist, guts, etc.

Evidence of violence is not enough. How it is depicted is key.

Cptkrush

Apparently, the film has as many points as it has gore. :p

Lingering, close-up, red, internal, moist, guts, etc.

Evidence of violence is not enough. How it is depicted is key.

So the gallons of blood spewing out of the elevator, the spike through the hand and neck, or the merman tearing the one guy apart aren't enough for you to consider this film gory?
as it's been said before, gore isn't subjective, there aren't multiple definitions based on how one feels about violence. This movie is moderately gory and even, somewhat, extremely gory toward the end.

Chairhome

lol.

gore1    [gawr, gohr]
noun
blood that is shed, especially when clotted.
murder, bloodshed, violence, etc.: That horror movie had too much gore.

So the gallons of blood spewing out of the elevator, the spike through the hand and neck, or the merman tearing the one guy apart aren't enough for you to consider this film gory?
as it's been said before, gore isn't subjective, there aren't multiple definitions based on how one feels about violence. This movie is moderately gory and even, somewhat, extremely gory toward the end.

No.

Not in the context of the horror genre. Blood is blood, and the rest is too quick.

And lol at Chairhome trying to win with a dictionary entry. Maybe if Fangoria had a dictionary. :p

gatti-man

No.

Not in the context of the horror genre. Blood is blood, and the rest is too quick.

And lol at Chairhome trying to win with a dictionary entry. Maybe if Fangoria had a dictionary. :p

Not everyone is a horror snob like you. Telling a random person the film has no gore is flatly incorrect.

Gore is anything more than just blood. "Visceral". Guts, dismemberment, decapitation, pieces of brain, all that gooey stuff.

The movie has it, just depends on how you much you can handle.

But there isn't a different definition, gore is gore. It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact.

Yeah, well, I am going to have to repeat that you are wrong in this context.

I might have to conduct an informal poll among educated viewers to see if a substantial portion thinks the film is gory, but I have my doubts.

Gore is anything more than just blood. "Visceral". Guts, dismemberment, decapitation, pieces of brain, all that gooey stuff.

The movie has it, just depends on how you much you can handle.

Yeah, but without any lingering or close-ups. I admit it is nebulous, but there is a distinction.

Another thing to consider is the ameliorating presence of humor. DEAD ALIVE vs NEW YORK RIPPER, which is gorier? I'd say the latter, because it feels gross, as opposed to cartoonish.

I don't wish to further frustrate or offend anyone's sensibilities based on an offhand comment which was probably better suited to the discourse of the "movies you have seen" thread, so everyone is free to go back to talking about other aspects of the film if they wish.

I was saying that you sounded like an asshole.

But whatever.

Oh, it's easier just to say that than to make casually sexist comments, but it's all good.

EDIT: To be clear, describing something as being only bothersome to children isn't really an insult. I meant it in the way of "sheltered" or "inexperienced." I remember being freaked out by a trickle of blood from the corner of a mouth when I was little. (Certainly, there are kids out there who have seen some crazy stuff.) But I do bristle at the notion that you would liken that to something nonsensical like "bothersome to women." I'm not a sexist, so I don't see the world like that. Besides, one of GAF's biggest fans of transgressive cinema is a woman.

kai3345

Banned
Went in completely blind

Holy.....fuck

Its my movie of the year so far

Count Dookkake said:
To be clear, describing something as being only bothersome to children isn't really an insult.

Well, I mean, unless you're a child.

Ridley327

Yeah, well, I am going to have to repeat that you are wrong in this context.

I might have to conduct an informal poll among educated viewers to see if a substantial portion thinks the film is gory, but I have my doubts.

I've watched enough horror films to count myself as being well versed in the genre, and Cabin in the Woods certainly has its fair share of gore, particularly in the final act of the film. Hell, there's enough lingering shots of the
elevator massacre, complete with strewn-about body parts and even some poor soldier's torso falling from the ceiling
to qualify the film as being gory by that scene alone. That it's not shown in great detail, I think, is not a good enough reason to disqualify it as being gore; it's just simply not a gore-porn kind of horror film.

Would you say that District 9 was not a gory film? That's about where I'd place the level that this film reaches. District 9 is not a horror film by any stretch, but it is certainly a violent and gory film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom