• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool movie, was a disappointed with the ending. Mostly the part where
the old ones hand comes up and it wasn't a tentacle, I mean come on man. Did that make too much sense?

It did not and it was not supposed to make sense. The whole movie was made so you kept saying: ''Ah man, please.. Not again. I have seen that before!''

the old ones hand comes up and it wasn't a tentacle, I mean come on man. Did that make too much sense?
I like to think that
every region had its own god, somewhere there was a Cthulhu type. The giant hand just happened to be the American god

Funny to see people being disappointed it wasn't scary or "horror" while others patronizingly tell them it wasn't supposed to be.

Look at the poster.

Look at the title.

Look at the ads.

It was 100% marketed as a horror movie.

So it was marketed as one.

Why does that mean it has to be one?

Tropic Thunder wasn't marketed as a satire.

They never used the term
"Old Ones" in the movie, but rather "Old or Ancient Gods". The god found under the cabin seems to be a Titan, which qualifies as an Ancient/Old God.
Besides, isn't Cthulu trapped somewhere beneath the ocean in the South Pacific, according to CoC?

Dyno

I agree, it didn't look good. I would have preferred a pillar of fire or something equally primevil.

Other then that though it was a balls out insane movie. Quite fun and very funny.

The elevator bell heralding a new wave of blood, horror, and violence was really good.

Funny to see people being disappointed it wasn't scary or "horror" while others patronizingly tell them it wasn't supposed to be.

Look at the poster.

Look at the title.

Look at the ads.

Anyway, the movie was mildly entertaining, that's the best I can say about it. Awful characters and an entire movie of wink-wink nudge-nudge isn't something I'm going to find clever or memorable. As usual Joss is too busy trying to be clever to patch up his logic gaps and plotholes.

Of course the worst crime the movie committed was having shots of the facility/soldiers in the ads, thus giving away most or all of the twist to anyone who has any experience with movies.

The fact that it was marketed as a horror movie was part of the gag.

Takuan

Saw it last weekend, had already been told the main plot because I didn't think I'd ever watch it (I'm a puss and do not typically watch "scary" movies).

I thought it was pretty well done all in all and enjoyed the premise. Wish I didn't ask my buddy to spoil the plot for me, because it would've been that much better.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The fact that it was marketed as a horror movie was part of the gag.

The marketing clearly implied that something was afoot in terms of "observer" shenanigans and the kids being lulled into horror movie tropes. I don't think it was even remotely deceptive, to be honest. I almost would have preferred less obvious tells.

Oersted

Look at the poster.

Look at the title.

Look at the ads.

reminds me of the drive-lady

Watching this amazing movie inspired me to create a list of my favorite Comedy-Horror films:

2010s:

The Cabin in the Woods
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Fright Night
Scream 4
Piranha 3-D

2000s:

Drag Me to Hell
Zombieland
Grindhouse
Slither
Shaun of the Dead
Scream 3

1990s:

The Frighteners
Scream
Scream 2
Army of Darkness
Dead Alive (Braindead)
Tremors

1980s:

The 'Burbs
Evil Dead 2
Fright Night
Re-Animator (this one is cheating as I haven't seen it yet, but I loved the bits I saw and will buy the Blu-Ray)
Ghostbusters

llehuty

I still can't believe that we still have to wait in Spain more than a month for the opening of this film. No wonder we have one of the highest piracy rates.

Melchiah

Watching this amazing movie inspired me to create a list of my favorite Comedy-Horror films:

2010s:

The Cabin in the Woods
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Fright Night
Scream 4
Piranha 3-D

2000s:

Drag Me to Hell
Zombieland
Grindhouse
Slither
Shaun of the Dead
Scream 3

1990s:

The Frighteners
Scream
Scream 2
Army of Darkness
Dead Alive (Braindead)
Tremors

1980s:

The 'Burbs
Evil Dead 2
Fright Night
Re-Animator (this one is cheating as I haven't seen it yet, but I loved the bits I saw and will buy the Blu-Ray)
Ghostbusters

Some good ones seem to be missing.

2000s:
Bubba Ho-Tep
Feast

1990s:
Tremors

1980s:
Bloodbath at the House of Death
Bad Taste
Meet the Feebles
Gremlins

2000s:
Bubba Ho-Tep
Feast

1990s:
Tremors

1980s:
Bad Taste
Meet the Feebles
Gremlins

Great list, but both of you left out one of the greatest horror-comedies ever:

1980s
Return of the Living Dead

2000s:
Bubba Ho-Tep
Feast

1990s:
Tremors

1980s:
Bad Taste
Meet the Feebles
Gremlins

Tremors was on my list, you missed it.

Bubba Ho-Tep was extremely charming but it seemed a bit lacking in the horror department. I dunno. I need to see it again, been a long time.

Feast was good, but not among the best IMO.

Bad Taste is on my to-watch list (I know, I know).

Not familiar with BatHoD and MtF, will look into those.

Gremlins is a classic, but I'm not even sure I ever saw it from beginning to end. I have super vague memories of seeing it as a child. Another I need to see it again.

Great list, but both of you left out one of the greatest horror-comedies ever:

1980s
Return of the Living Dead

I hear it's amazing. Will watch it very soon.

Shame on me. How could I forget it.

EDIT: Three more.

1980s
Night of the Demons

1990s
From Dusk Till Dawn

2000s
Fido

NotD is another one I am taking note of as I am not familiar.

From Dusk Till Dawn, OMG how could I forget this one. One of my all-time faves!

Fido was really good, I even considered adding it to the list... mmm.

Melchiah

Tremors was on my list, you missed it.

Not familiar with BatHoD and MtF, will look into those.

NotD is another one I am taking note of as I am not familiar.

I missed that, sorry.

BatHoD is extremely funny, although I dunno how it'll feel when seen the first time after all these years. It features some horror/comedy legends like Vincent Price and Kenny Everett.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaY6jXDNEXA

NotD is a quite good horror comedy which takes inspiration from The Evil Dead. It's more horror than comedy though. I wonder whether its remake is worth a watch?

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzuj2eavtU

Averon

Wow! This was not at all what I was expecting coming in. I thought it'll be another dumb horror flick. Pleasantly surprised how offbeat it was. I later learned Joss Whedon was tied to this movie, and it all made sense. This kind of movie totally fits his style.

I tried to like this movie but it ended up more like a comedy than a horror movie. I didnt sense any sense of danger and i must admit i agreed with the other side which made this hilariously anti horror for me

Look at the poster.

Look at the title.

Look at the ads.

Anyway, the movie was mildly entertaining, that's the best I can say about it. Awful characters and an entire movie of wink-wink nudge-nudge isn't something I'm going to find clever or memorable. As usual Joss is too busy trying to be clever to patch up his logic gaps and plotholes.

Of course the worst crime the movie committed was having shots of the facility/soldiers in the ads, thus giving away most or all of the twist to anyone who has any experience with movies.
It's awesome how this person starts with one point and then ends up arguing with himself in the last paragraph.

coldvein

Banned
i guess i feel lucky that i was in no way affected by the marketing of this movie.

i read a snip in the local paper saying "this movie fucking rules but we cant tell you about the plot just go see this movie."

and some friends telling me "this movie rules but dont watch a trailer or anything just go see the movie".

so i ended up in there with pretty much no idea what i was going to see, and it floored me.

Cartman86

Banned
Two years of waiting for it to come out with hints and that obvious trailer gave it away for me, but I loved it anyways. I went in expecting comedy and commentary. not necessarily a movie that would scare me. Honestly though if I went in expecting horror I don't think I would be upset when it turned out to be really funny. Good is good.

Lach

Two years of waiting for it to come out with hints and that obvious trailer gave it away for me, but I loved it anyways. I went in expecting comedy and commentary. not necessarily a movie that would scare me. Honestly though if I went in expecting horror I don't think I would be upset when it turned out to be really funny. Good is good.

I was afraid that the trailer had spoiled the big twist, but it was never a big twist to begin with.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Looking forward to buying this in 9 days or so. Gonna screen it for a few friends who didn't go see it in the theaters. Should be fun. It's surprising, but I think this might be my favorite movie of the year thus far. That probably won't last much longer, hell maybe not even those 9 days (The Master!) but yeah, fun stuff.

I was afraid that the trailer had spoiled the big twist, but it was never a big twist to begin with.

Indeed. It's totally not a big deal.

Erv

saw this movie recently. I couldn't really get into it. It was just not what I was expecting but I liked some of the monsters towards the end. I also have been trying to find a movie I saw a while ago on tv and I don't want to make a separate thread for it. Maybe someone here can help. All I remember is a sheep monster in it. It was probably towards the end of the movie. The monster was almost comical. Does anyone know what movie this is?

Black Sheep.

And I, to this day, can't get over this one dude that came out of Cabin the first time I saw it, being very vocal and literally stopping others and telling them it was a shitty film.

ektoll

saw this movie recently. I couldn't really get into it. It was just not what I was expecting but I liked some of the monsters towards the end. I also have been trying to find a movie I saw a while ago on tv and I don't want to make a separate thread for it. Maybe someone here can help. All I remember is a sheep monster in it. It was probably towards the end of the movie. The monster was almost comical. Does anyone know what movie this is?

Black Sheep, a very good Horror/Comedy movie that should be on the list. By the way, I've seen nearly every movie mentioned except Tucker and Dale vs Evil, is it good?

Oh, and CITW was really great :)

Scribble

It was okay. Something didn't click though. The first half was just any old horror movie with youtube-esque commentary stuck on top. It didn't make those cliches any more bearable.

I might have enjoyed it more if began a bit before the teenagers began to morph into cliches, and the plot focused on the conflict between their old personalities and their horror movie selves -- and in turn, how that messes with the execution of the ritual. They would still keep the dark humour. Darkly funny and unsettling is still 'scary' in my mind (Todd Solondz movies. God.)

As the movie is, it's like a slightly more inventive 'Scary Movie.'

Scary Movie is a shit comedy.

I mean.

I get that people don't like this movie, and then see that the majority praise it.

But still.

Are you honestly saying Cabin's humor is on the same level as the Wayans Brothers?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is there any footage of kevin in the dvd extras? Of all the things in this movie, he has caught my interest the most.

Now I'm gonna watch the movie.

Ellasman

I've seen this movie about 12 times now. It gets better every time.

My favorite characters.
the-cabin-in-the-woods2.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Damn. Fran kranz is killing me in this.

Ok, I have a question.
does each country have a different subset of monsters? I recognized a few of them, but others seemed foreign to me, like the masked people. I'm kinda confused as to how that aspect works.

Damn. Fran kranz is killing me in this.

Ok, I have a question.
does each country have a different subset of monsters? I recognized a few of them, but others seemed foreign to me, like the masked people. I'm kinda confused as to how that aspect works.

Yes.
They also have their own variations on how to appease their respective gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom