• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

IISANDERII

I think this game is easily worse than Ghosts. The hit detection/latency/lag comp whatever in Ghost was light years better. The viability of different weapons was present. Getting shot in the back is more prevalent in AW, not to mention getting shot from above now.

Yeah the exo suits make it fun to zip around, but I think that it's at the detriment of the rest of the game. It's a race to who can outflank who with some blind luck that you don't get shot from an infinite number of directions while doing so. Yeah pulling off a quick exo strafe to win that gun battle can be very satisfying and things like that, but it falls way short of making up for the rest.

Anyway, just my opinion carry on.

PS if anybody's done the Exo Survival Bonus Round trophy thing, please help!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I think this game is easily worse than Ghosts. The hit detection/latency/lag comp whatever in Ghost was light years better. The viability of different weapons was present. Getting shot in the back is more prevalent in AW, not to mention getting shot from above now.

Yeah the exo suits make it fun to zip around, but I think that it's at the detriment of the rest of the game. It's a race to who can outflank who with some blind luck that you don't get shot from an infinite number of directions while doing so. Yeah pulling off a quick exo strafe to win that gun battle can be very satisfying and things like that, but it falls way short of making up for the rest.

Anyway, just my opinion carry on.

PS if anybody's done the Exo Survival Bonus Round trophy thing, please help!

Find someone who has the riot map unlocked and get them to invite you to a game on it. That's what I did and I still haven't unlocked the map for myself. After that, to get the trophy is actually fairly easy. Go through 11 rounds and then run to the chopper when you're told to. When I was doing it I tried to revive a guy I was playing with but ended up going down myself and the other guy we played with just run straight to the chopper without stopping to help us (don't blame him, we were getting overrun) and I still got the trophy. I don't know If I would have gotten it if I had bled out.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just curious...are people running solo or in parties?

i feel like i generally do better when running with friends but more so simply because they aren't trash randoms. teamwork just seems less important due to how quickly people are dying and the lack of real choke points and such.

its just like a race to get your UAVs. haha

SMZC

I don't think there is ANY way you can legitimately argue that this game is worse than Ghosts. No way. I think more than the actual game having issues, it has to do with the netcode turning making for bad online experiences. I think the core game is great though, personally.

Ghosts is superior in so many ways to AW that it's not even funny.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
So, I got the MP11 variant "Goliath" the other day, from a supply drop, and it's an SMG with +3 damage stat.

Add a laser site to it, and the hip fire autoaim is crazy. Once I get extended mags, it's over. Maybe the most broken gun in the game (that isn't a BAL).

Jaeger

I had a handful of amazing games, earlier. Getting 20+ kills, and like 4 deaths. It was incredible. I was gunning down and rabbit-punching the whole room.

I discovered from this game that I need to upgrade my PC. In light of this, I lowered all the settings to the lowest it could be, and almost completely illuminated the lag that I would get at the start of games. And my bullets actually started to connect!

Got gold and diamond camo for my ASM1, and my first mecha scorestreak.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Got my PS4 today and after an extremely long download process i managed to get into a multiplayer match and holy shit it looks good, it also performs pretty well. Also i'm pretty fucking scared to actually try to download the single player because i bet its fucking huge.

gunner13

Neo Member
Any word on when Clan Wars starts? I feel like there delaying it because not enough people signed up for clans/app etc. and they hope by waiting it will be worth their time.

THEF3AR

Ghosts is superior in so many ways to AW that it's not even funny.

exuB7pJ.gif

Skenzin

Banned
Ghost wasn't the unplayable abomination of it's reputation but AW blows it out if the water in fun. There's just something about thAt double jump jet boost that takes me back to Tribes and unreal tournament level of fun.

Jaeger

Ghost wasn't the unplayable abomination of it's reputation but AW blows it out if the water in fun. There's just something about thAt double jump jet boost that takes me back to Tribes and unreal tournament level of fun.

Alot of my issues seem to be from my hardware. A few stages lag (some more than others) during the earlier part of the match. Some of that has indeed been fixed when I lowered all my visual settings to their lowest. It's still something that needs to be patched. Also, it needs dedicated servers. Because there is seriously only a handful of people on at any given time, and it shows. Most of the modes are unplayable, and it's only been like a month since release.

But, I barely touched Ghost. You are right about it being alot more fun. The aesthetics, and Exo boost ability is amazing.

Finished Far Cry 4, and was thinking about getting back into AW MP.

Have they done anything to fix the netcode?

I gave the game a whirl a few days ago and it is still the same mess of shit that it has always been.

Frankly i wish the core gameplay sucked so the total garbage that is AW's netcode didn't sting as much.

I agree that Ghosts was a better game, albeit flawed in its own right. And there's no way a patch can address the issues, especially spawning on death which is a result of the poor map design and exo jumping.

Jaeger

I agree that Ghosts was a better game, albeit flawed in its own right. And there's no way a patch can address the issues, especially spawning on death which is a result of the poor map design and exo jumping.

Huh? Those issues can be fixed. That's how patches actually work.

SMZC

Where's the CODcycle.jpg

Looks like the cycle is going faster

egl7Z.jpg

No cycle. I've never considered Ghosts to be as bad as most people here.

I gave a more detailed explanation as to why Ghosts is so superior to AW in a previous post of mine and some people agreed with it, but to sum it up:

-More appealing looking game, not in the graphics department (let alone in performance) but in color palette and art design, as opposed to the overblown usage of browns and greys in AW, resulting in a bland and highly unappealing look in Sledgehammer's game.

-Higher and more diverse weapon and perk selection.

-...which results in every playstyle being viable, as opposed to AW where only running and gunning will get you anywhere.

-Better map variety and bigger map size. While people complained about the big size of Ghosts' maps, this eased the spawns problem, which is worse than ever in AW. Map design also factors in the fact that more playstyles are viable.

-Snipers and LMGs are actually useful in this game. Scratch that: Ghosts has the best balanced snipers this series has ever seen. Also, very good weapon and perk balance overall. You'll only get anywhere in AW using an AR or SMG; and the latter one's usefulness is already questionable.

-The game actually differentiates between good and bad players. While every COD is chaotic and random to some extent or another, never has the series been as stupid or as much of a clusterfuck as AW is. Skill is effectively thrown out the window.

-Better netcode and hit detection. Actually: The best netcode and hit detection this series has hever had. When you shoot people, they die. This is not the case in AW, and this point alone would put Ghosts on top for me. What's the point of playing an FPS where your shots don't even register properly, and where confrontations are won almost always depending on connection?

Just off the top of my head. Now, if I had to name the aspects where AW comes out on top, I would mention graphics and performance, map design (though the flow of the matches is still fucked up, Ghosts' being better in that regard), and... Yeah. Can't think of much else. Exo-mechanics are actually a horrible introduction to the series (won't get into that now, but if someone wants to discuss that I'll give my arguments), but I suppose you can count as a positive over Ghosts the fact that they at least tried to spice things up a bit in the series.

Some people would say that map design alone would put AW on top, but again, when the flow of the matches is so messed up I'll take Ghosts' maps any day of the week.

Jaeger

No cycle. I've never considered Ghosts to be as bad as most people here.

I gave a more detailed explanation as to why Ghosts is so superior to AW in a previous post of mine and some people agreed with it, but to sum it up:

-More appealing looking game, not in the graphics department (let alone in performance) but in color palette and art design, as opposed to the overblown usage of browns and greys in AW, resulting in a bland and highly unappealing look in Sledgehammer's game.

-Higher and more diverse weapon and perk selection.

-...which results in every playstyle being viable, as opposed to AW where only running and gunning will get you anywhere.

-Better map variety and bigger map size. While people complained about the big size of Ghosts' maps, this eased the spawns problem, which is worse than ever in AW. Map design also factors in the fact that more playstyles are viable.

-Snipers and LMGs are actually useful in this game. Scratch that: Ghosts has the best balanced snipers this series has ever seen. Also, very good weapon and perk balance overall. You'll only get anywhere in AW using an AR or SMG; and the latter one's usefulness is already questionable.

-The game actually differentiates between good and bad players. While every COD is chaotic and random to some extent or another, never has the series been as stupid or as much of a clusterfuck as AW is. Skill is effectively thrown out the window.

-Better netcode and hit detection. Actually: The best netcode and hit detection this series has hever had. When you shoot people, they die. This is not the case in AW, and this point alone would put Ghosts on top for me. What's the point of playing an FPS where your shots don't even register properly, and where confrontations are won almost always depending on connection?

Just off the top of my head. Now, if I had to name the aspects where AW comes out on top, I would mention graphics and performance, map design (though the flow of the matches is still fucked up, Ghosts' being better in that regard), and... Yeah. Can't think of much else. Exo-mechanics are actually a horrible introduction to the series (won't get into that now, but if someone wants to discuss that I'll give my arguments), but I suppose you can count as a positive over Ghosts the fact that they at least tried to spice things up a bit in the series.

Some people would say that map design alone would put AW on top, but again, when the flow of the matches is so messed up I'll take Ghosts' maps any day of the week.

Most of this isn't true. I'll post a proper longform rebuttal, later. But most of that is not true at all.

matthieuC

Wow sniping in this game is just not viable at all. I want to be a little different than everyone else and not use an AR but it's just impossible to do well if I don't.

Jaeger

Wow sniping in this game is just not viable at all. I want to be a little different than everyone else and not use an AR but it's just impossible to do well if I don't.

I can snipe just fine. Not every map is suited for it, but most work just fine for me. I use the MORS.

Toa TAK

Banned
Forgive me for asking, but when was the last time it was? MW2, Black Ops 1 maybe?

WaLlbaNg

Sniping in competetive s&d is still alive (mainly Retreat, Riot, Comeback, Horizon).

The ongoing scope sway (not zooming in where your center of view is), the bullet not going where your scope is pointing to (hits beneath to the left) and the ridicoulus amount of hitmarkers (headshot hitmarker, seriously?!) makes it pretty shitty though.

Especially because of the stock shitfest in this game

I just can't get over how bad foot steps in this game are.

It just kills it for me. I pretty much sound whore foot steps in every game but this one is basically impossible.

SMZC

The Ghosts hate is really getting out of hand. Dislike the game all you want, but claiming that it is worse than AW "in all areas" displays a serious lack of critical thinking.

Most of this isn't true. I'll post a proper longform rebuttal, later. But most of that is not true at all.

I'll be looking forward to that response of yours.

IISANDERII

Forgive me for asking, but when was the last time it was? MW2, Black Ops 1 maybe?
Ghost. I used a sniper with ACOG on every map while Grifgor went the traditional sniper rifle route. Great fun until they got nerfed. I think we had something like a 5 to 1 win loss ratio.

Top Bottom