• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

aravuus

Oh there's a patch coming, neat

Shame it won't fix the biggest problem I have with the game which is maps and, in a way, the exo stuff so it won't be enough to make me come back

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No cycle. I've never considered Ghosts to be as bad as most people here.

I gave a more detailed explanation as to why Ghosts is so superior to AW in a previous post of mine and some people agreed with it, but to sum it up:

-More appealing looking game, not in the graphics department (let alone in performance) but in color palette and art design, as opposed to the overblown usage of browns and greys in AW, resulting in a bland and highly unappealing look in Sledgehammer's game.

-Higher and more diverse weapon and perk selection.

-...which results in every playstyle being viable, as opposed to AW where only running and gunning will get you anywhere.

-Better map variety and bigger map size. While people complained about the big size of Ghosts' maps, this eased the spawns problem, which is worse than ever in AW. Map design also factors in the fact that more playstyles are viable.

-Snipers and LMGs are actually useful in this game. Scratch that: Ghosts has the best balanced snipers this series has ever seen. Also, very good weapon and perk balance overall. You'll only get anywhere in AW using an AR or SMG; and the latter one's usefulness is already questionable.

-The game actually differentiates between good and bad players. While every COD is chaotic and random to some extent or another, never has the series been as stupid or as much of a clusterfuck as AW is. Skill is effectively thrown out the window.

-Better netcode and hit detection. Actually: The best netcode and hit detection this series has hever had. When you shoot people, they die. This is not the case in AW, and this point alone would put Ghosts on top for me. What's the point of playing an FPS where your shots don't even register properly, and where confrontations are won almost always depending on connection?

Just off the top of my head. Now, if I had to name the aspects where AW comes out on top, I would mention graphics and performance, map design (though the flow of the matches is still fucked up, Ghosts' being better in that regard), and... Yeah. Can't think of much else. Exo-mechanics are actually a horrible introduction to the series (won't get into that now, but if someone wants to discuss that I'll give my arguments), but I suppose you can count as a positive over Ghosts the fact that they at least tried to spice things up a bit in the series.

Some people would say that map design alone would put AW on top, but again, when the flow of the matches is so messed up I'll take Ghosts' maps any day of the week.
The other comments can be construed as your opinion, but I think this is objectively wrong. At least on the PC, the skill gap is massive. Everyone moves much faster than previous CoDs. If you can't aim and react quickly the top players will feed on you because they will be in your face the entire round. Even camping doesn't guarantee you easy kills for that reason.

Warablo

I have a KD of 3.5 in Black Ops 1

I have a KD of 1.2 in Advanced Warfare

lol, this game is fun, but it can be rage inducing sometimes.. Hopefully the netcode improves also.

popeutlal

I'll tell ya, when the Bal is nerfed this game will be a lot more fun. I don't use that gun, the guns that I use cannot compete with the Bal.

Hopefully soon.

SMZC

The other comments can be construed as your opinion, but I think this is objectively wrong. At least on the PC, the skill gap is massive. Everyone moves much faster than previous CoDs. If you can't aim and react quickly the top players will feed on you because they will be in your face the entire round. Even camping doesn't guarantee you easy kills for that reason.

I don't see how the other points I made are subjective. Ghosts having better net-code, hit detection, more and better balanced weapons/perks or a less chaotic and random flow is as objective as we can get when comparing two games.

As for the point that you made, I suppose it depends a lot on what game mode you play and what your connection is. Maybe if you are not on the receiving end of the game's shitty connection problems then it does reward good players, to some extent. If you play search and destroy, you're also bound to be less affected by the game's chaotic and idiotic nature. From my experience as a long time fan of the series that almost exclusively plays TDM, though, there's so much garbage and randomness in this game (what with the spawns, flow of the matches and the horrible connection) that it hardly ever matters how good one is. There are no ways to anticipate most of the crap this game throws at you, making most deaths unavoidable, and that right there is the sign of a game that doesn't distinguish between good and bad players.

And don't get me wrong, Ghosts was kinda bad in that regard too. But not anywhere near this bad.

BizzyBum

Camper extraordinaire. And quite annoying as a person.

Hm, the times I watched him he's practically the furthest thing you can be from a camper. All he did was run around and perform crazy exo movements with pinpoint accuracy. He also claws which helps with that tremendously. I tried doing that on my PS4 controller and found it impossible.

Delt31

I don't see how the other points I made are subjective. Ghosts having better net-code, hit detection, more and better balanced weapons/perks or a less chaotic and random flow is as objective as we can get when comparing two games.

As for the point that you made, I suppose it depends a lot on what game mode you play and what your connection is. Maybe if you are not on the receiving end of the game's shitty connection problems then it does reward good players, to some extent. If you play search and destroy, you're also bound to be less affected by the game's chaotic and idiotic nature. From my experience as a long time fan of the series that almost exclusively plays TDM, though, there's so much garbage and randomness in this game (what with the spawns, flow of the matches and the horrible connection) that it hardly ever matters how good one is. There are no ways to anticipate most of the crap this game throws at you, making most deaths unavoidable, and that right there is the sign of a game that doesn't distinguish between good and bad players.

And don't get me wrong, Ghosts was kinda bad in that regard too. But not anywhere near this bad.

How about EVERYTHING you said above is wrong and you're out of your mind? AW crushes ghosts in every way possible. You think the color variety in ghosts is better? What? It's all brown and gray with the exception of the large castle match which everyone passes on because it's terrible. This a troll post right?

Jaeger

I really want the ASM1 - Speakeasy. I wish there was a way to actually get the gun variants you want, purposely. This whole random drops for mostly doing bad thing, blows. Especially considering I had some really good games these past few days. I got maybe 4 supply drops in a 20 hour or more, period.

Forgive me for asking, but when was the last time it was? MW2, Black Ops 1 maybe?
MW2 was the last COD I felt I could really snipe on since I use to run around with just a sniper rifle and pistol... For like every map. Then MW3 had the Model which was the last good shotgun which also served as the last good sniper rifle.
Ghost. I used a sniper with ACOG on every map while Grifgor went the traditional sniper rifle route. Great fun until they got nerfed. I think we had something like a 5 to 1 win loss ratio.
Thank god I'm not the only one who does this. My friends say I'm stupid, but it's great. Doing it with the Lynx right now.
I wish there was a way to actually get the gun variants you want, purposely. This whole random drops for mostly doing bad thing, blows. Especially considering I had some really good games these past few days. I got maybe 4 supply drops in a 20 hour or more, period.
I've been waiting to get a variant of the Atlas 45, but I keep getting the other pistols...

RedAssedApe

Banned
http://www.redbull.com/en/esports/stories/1331691093434/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-tips-to-win

Few choice quotes that made me chuckle:

OK, but what about in a public scrim where comms are, well, non-existent at best, what is the best way to use team-mates to your advantage?
My favourite, and one of the best tactics, is using your team-mates as 'bait' which means you use one of them – without them knowing – to move through a door or an area first. After he dies you'll know where your opponents are and you can take them out. Don't feel bad, if you get a 30 kill streak because you’re sacrificing your team mates. Who cares?!

there’s a 95 percent chance in pubs you'll have a team-mate that has an addiction for dying over and over again, especially around Christmas time, where younger players get Call of Duty for the first time.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I see some players that can almost always end up on top of the leaderboard in a lobby, so their connection is either consistently better than every other person on the server, or they are. If skill wasn't important then the scores would be a random distribution every match.

The networking has to be tested and measured before we can know if it's objectively better or worse than Ghosts. We need hard data and I don't mean killcam footage. Weapon balance isn't something you can easily quantify unless the weapon stats are incredibly bad. Some people might prefer the faster pace of AW to Ghosts, so an evaluation on map flow is certainly subjective.

PSYGN

If anyone wants to see an absolute beast, watch this dude Aunnest: http://www.twitch.tv/aunnest

He has like a 4.60 K/D and 50.00 W/L. Ranked 7th in the world. His movement and accuracy with the exo is damn impressive.

He is a beast but those stats are inflated by his competent team. He would probably only pull 2.5ish kdr solo. He always has a full team and they constantly call out enemies and have their positions locked down. Things become a lot more predictable when you have a competent team. I know because I played with him before and went 12-1 starting from the middle of the match. The enemies are often randoms and half of them would leave the lobby while the easy-kill knuckleheads who don't care as much about stats would stay in the game and allow themselves to get killed repeatedly so long as they get a kill once every 5 deaths.

eek5

I really want the ASM1 - Speakeasy. I wish there was a way to actually get the gun variants you want, purposely. This whole random drops for mostly doing bad thing, blows. Especially considering I had some really good games these past few days. I got maybe 4 supply drops in a 20 hour or more, period.

Putting game-changing weapon variants behind RNG-wall is the dumbest thing to come to COD. Oh great someone can outgun me because he got a lucky drop. smh

SupplyDropStats-660x330.png

amazing

RedAssedApe

Banned
Putting game-changing weapon variants behind RNG-wall is the dumbest thing to come to COD. Oh great someone can outgun me because he got a lucky drop. smh

SupplyDropStats-660x330.png

amazing

are those actual officials stats? haha...all the drops I get are shitty. i want one that makes the EM1 good. :\

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've been looking around for changes with the patch, but can't find any.

Edit: Seems matchmaking is a disaster now.

its always like that right when a patch drops. you basically can't match up with people with different versions of the game.

one change i've noticed already...you are white on the mini-map so you can't get confused anymore :p

SMZC

How about EVERYTHING you said above is wrong and you're out of your mind? AW crushes ghosts in every way possible. You think the color variety in ghosts is better? What? It's all brown and gray with the exception of the large castle match which everyone passes on because it's terrible. This a troll post right?

Wow, you're mad. If you want me to take you seriously, offer some actual arguments and we'll discuss the subject like adults.

It really baffles me how people can be so irrational in their hate for one game.

And no, the castle map is not the only one with some actual color variety in Ghosts. There are at least two more maps with a lot of green in them, for starters. The snowy one is rather easy on the eyes too. And the list goes on. That's not to get into the DLC maps (which would be unfair to bring up since AW doesn't have any DLC yet), but there's some gorgeous maps in there, like the reimagined Favela.

I see some players that can almost always end up on top of the leaderboard in a lobby, so their connection is either consistently better than every other person on the server, or they are. If skill wasn't important then the scores would be a random distribution every match.

The networking has to be tested and measured before we can know if it's objectively better or worse than Ghosts. We need hard data and I don't mean killcam footage. Weapon balance isn't something you can easily quantify unless the weapon stats are incredibly bad. Some people might prefer the faster pace of AW to Ghosts, so an evaluation on map flow is certainly subjective.

Quite frankly, the bolded is what I see most of the time with this game. Most matches I see end up 75-70 or some very close score like that. I don't remember this happening in previous CODs to such a high degree, and it's indicative that the games are very damn random. Yes, sometimes there's a guy or two who do really well, but I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of the time one of those guys is the host.

The networking has to be tested? Sure, it would be nice if someone could look at the code and do an empirical study on how the netcode compares. But when people are complaining left and right about lag problems, and when Ghosts didn't get anywhere near as many complaints in the same department, empirical evidence is hardly needed. We know one game has a problem. And the other has been getting widespread hate all over the place for over a year; if Ghosts had even a fraction of the networking issues that AW has, rest assured, people would have brought that up. It gives them yet another reason to shit on the game they loathe so much.

Oh, as for weapon balance, let's talk about snipers, to begin with. They are downright unusable in AW. It's hit markers galore when you actually manage to hit someone with them, because between the insanely high scope sway and time it takes to raise the sight, good luck hitting any of those dudes jumping all over the map. Ghosts, though? There are more hit areas in the body that count as one shot kills, which is a game changer, because in a game where every weapon kills in 2-4 shots, you *cannot* get hitmarkers with your sniper. Sway is tightly tuned, being just the slight annoyance it needs to be without breaking the weapons. They're also faster to aim, *and* you get the option to use Quickdraw; with how fast paced COD is, every millisecond counts, so that seemingly small detail makes a world of difference. They also pretty much eliminated autoaim while the sights are down, effectively eliminating quickscoping much more effectively than any previous COD. Simply put, snipers are more balanced and viable in Ghosts than they are in AW. Infinity Ward put way more effort into this aspect of the game than Sledgehammer did. We can discuss more balance differences too, if you are so inclined.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
BAL is dead with a double nerf :(

FUCK!

Weapon Balancing Updates (Note: Adjustments affect base weapon and all loot variants):
Bal27: damage reduced, max damage range decreased, recoil adjusted
HBRa3: max damage range decreased
ASM1: max damage range increased
MP11: max damage range increased
EM1: damage increased
EPM3: damage increased, ads time decreased
XMG: damage increased, lockdown mode increased
Ameli: damage increased
Pytaek: damage increased

BAL is dead with a double nerf :(

FUCK!

Weapon Balancing Updates (Note: Adjustments affect base weapon and all loot variants):
Bal27: damage reduced, max damage range decreased, recoil adjusted
HBRa3: max damage range decreased
ASM1: max damage range increased
MP11: max damage range increased
EM1: damage increased
EPM3: damage increased, ads time decreased
XMG: damage increased, lockdown mode increased
Ameli: damage increased
Pytaek: damage increased

BAL is still a good and viable weapon.. it's just not easy mode anymore. The ASM1 buff makes that gun so damn good. Almost too good.

vrln

Neo Member
The patch seems to be live on PS4 already, but not on Xbox. Is there an ETA available? Looking forward to the BAL nerfs. It was way too good in every situation. I´m far from being good at this game, but it seemed that with a fast draw grip and ACOG you could even deal with snipers and still win most 1v1 corridor situations.

The smgs that needed a range buff got one. Shotguns are in a good place IMO besides the S12(gun is awful). I suppose the AMR9 could use a damage buff. I'm pleased with this patch.

I'm only seeing 1 smg buff in the patch notes. Are you saying others are noticeably changed that aren't in the notes?

anthym

Neo Member
ASM1 is a beast now. I thought it was pretty good before and has been my favorite gun since release but now, wow. I'm one of the few that hasn't stopped playing despite the game's flaws. I only play momentum and now I'm something like #238 worldwide on ps4. Got my SMG challenges done and unlocked royalty the other day. Working on shotguns now.

I played quite a bit yesterday with the tac19 and despite it having terrible range I'm doing pretty well with it. I think the key to using the shotguns is to boost straight at the enemy and fire when you're right on top of them. Mobility is your best weapon. I just had a game of momentum on Ascend where I just rushed underneath the first point and boosted to the other team's side and would get at least 3 kills every time. I've also discovered that hover is not useless at all. In fact, on momentum, I prefer it over overclocked now. It works best paired with overcharged. On maps like comeback that have the first point in that congested room, I run on to the point to start capping then immediately double boost up and activate hover. The other team scrambles around trying to find where i'm at since they can't cap. From that range ADS I can one shot kill anyone with the tac19. I'd recommend everyone to try it out. It's a blast to boost slam people with it too.

Pachimari

Can you guys add me on PSN? I really need some Gaffers to play with.

PSN: Anastacio

Just write "GAF" in the message, so I know you're from here.

Also, which weapons should I go for? And any general tips to get better besides always moving myself around?

Top Bottom