• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts on PC demands 6GB of RAM.. yet it uses <2GB

mxgt

Banned
jbamOLmoSGnKi3.png

from extinction. didn't even have my 360 pad plugged in.

pretty obvious rush job

Kaleinc

Banned
6 Gb is totally legit. It installs directly into ram, you launch the game, scream 'What is this ugly shit?', flip the power switch. Next time your pc boots - cod is gone. Magic.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Are they really patching in dog hair? Amazing if true. Not the dog hair, the fact that it's something that has to be patched in later.

It will be a $5 DLC.
Maybe. Probably.

Quoting myself from the official source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/call-of-duty-ghosts-definitive-pc-version-available-now

In a forthcoming game update, NVIDIA GPU-accelerated animal fur, and NVIDIA GPU-accelerated PhysX effects.

• NVIDIA GPU-accelerated animal fur will add high-quality, realistic, dynamically-reacting fur to Riley, NPC wolves, and multiplayer attack dogs.
  • NVIDIA GPU-accelerated PhysX will add realistic, dynamically-reacting particle effects throughout the game, dramatically enhancing their appearance.

MaLDo

poisonelf

Do you know release date for that patch?

About memory requirement, Black Ops 2 demands 3 GB one year ago and uses < 1 GB. Nobody complain then.

Ghosts can use 2.7 GB and every other program running in a pc can use more memory than 12 months ago version.

I see no madness in the 6 GB requirement.

Nobody complained (taking your word for it), probably because 3 GB was pretty standard 1 year ago and it was not forcing many people to upgrade for no real reason.

And I don't know, was the situation the same? If you had 2 GB for example, did the game run with more stuttering, or was it set to not even launch like it is now?

Demanding 6 GB when using less than 2, and not even attempting to run the game? This is just ridiculous and pretty much a fraud the way I see it.

Saying that "other apps may be eating up too much memory" is such a nonsensical excuse, didn't chrome or firefox eat up GBs like breakfast a year or two ago? Why didn't other games demand 6-8 GB 'just to be sure'?

Jindrax

Guys, the minimum system reqs are wrong, My friend is playing as we speak, while only having HD6770 and the minimum claims to be a HD5870.

Guys, the minimum system reqs are wrong, My friend is playing as we speak, while only having HD6770 and the minimum claims to be a HD5870.

This is different though. Where the program actually stops you from loading the game due to hardware detection.

Kade

This is usually the case with all PC games. There aren't usually hard locks preventing you from playing the game if you don't meet the minimum requirements. The minimum requirements are usually based on what the game has been tested to run with. In most cases, you can get away with one component being one or two generations of GPU under the minimum.

MaLDo

Nobody complained (taking your word for it), probably because 3 GB was pretty standard 1 year ago and it was not forcing many people to upgrade for no real reason.

And I don't know, was the situation the same? If you had 2 GB for example, did the game run with more stuttering, or was it set to not even launch like it is now?

Demanding 6 GB when using less than 2, and not even attempting to run the game? This is just ridiculous and pretty much a fraud the way I see it.

Saying that "other apps may be eating up too much memory" is such a nonsensical excuse, didn't chrome or firefox eat up GBs like breakfast a year or two ago? Why didn't other games demand 6-8 GB 'just to be sure'?

Ghosts doesn't use < 2GB. People are reporting confusing numbers. You can found users with out of memory errors and application in the 3 GB zone.

theytookourjobz

Bought the boxes version from GS because I got an extra 30% trade in on a bunch of old xbox accessories. Am I crazy or did the installer say it needed 66GB? What the hell? Also it's quoting like 25 mins to install from disc.

dr_rus

So ... it does now use more than 2GB of ram ?
Oh, it uses close to 2-3 GB of (system) RAM but at the same time it seems to fully saturate all the VRAM which is available on a system.
This is probably a result of using the old engine without proper streaming capabilities because its running ok even on 2 GB cards while consuming all the 6 GB on Titans. Thus it's not really needed but it does seem to use it if you have a lot of VRAM.

Timu

Oh, it uses close to 2-3 GB of (system) RAM but at the same time it seems to fully saturate all the VRAM which is available on a system.
This is probably a result of using the old engine without proper streaming capabilities because its running ok even on 2 GB cards while consuming all the 6 GB on Titans. Thus it's not really needed but it does seem to use it if you have a lot of VRAM.
More VRAM than I expected...

Interesting. Unless their using some bizarre streaming god knows what ... I mean, WTF is going on there lol ?

Guys i really think Activision f'ed up. But kinda for the good this time? *shudder*errr*shudder* i feel dirty now.

Anyway ive been able to enable TXAA on my gtx580. No idea how, it wasnt an option earlier but after messing around with things (trying to stop stuttering), setting priorities, changing drivers etc its an option, and it seems to be enabled.

Im uploading a video atm but its going slow (uncompressed) to youtube. Uploaded an uncompressed file to Mega if you want to see.

TXAA_580gtx_00000.png

ghost_TXAA0047.png

http://youtu.be/O-EqUE4Wu04 - still uploading
https://mega.co.nz/#!JEohiLwB!AZadPjXnYWZKrT66gX4BsgIw-8tIijCUFR4Yb44nACw - download uncompressed

Sorry the video is short, the game crashes if i try to record more than 4seconds (its a shite port).

Used 7z as its uncompressed so its like 1.6GB, 7z ultra takes it down to 350mb.

Of course i might be doing something wrong, or it may be saying 4xTXAA and actually using MSAA or SMAA etc, but it definately seems like there's something being applied, and there is a noticable performance hit. From the way the helicopter blade moves i dont think its msaa or smaa/fxaa. Moving around i dont see any noticable moire effects.

Heres a link to some images taken from the footage.

https://mega.co.nz/#!NBQm1YQY!GGD5ViFigfPr_KKROvFAMDCcL-Yadmj_mWLPpQdB2LA

Top Bottom