• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

Momar

aka Ryder
GAF, do me proud, and turn small-head guy into the greatest meme in the history of memes. Please, please!

billy.sea

Banned
Doesn't look too bad for a Wii game imo.
People that complain about the graphics what do you expect? Better than Modern Warfare 2?

Diortem7 said:
Does anyone else find it a tad suspicious that none of the screens are first-person?
In order for something to be suspicious, Activision would have to be hiding something.

They're hiding nothing.

billy.sea said:
People that complain about the graphics what do you expect? Better than Modern Warfare 2?
At least PS2 level graphics.

This is some N64 shit.

Rezbit

VOOK said:
29pepes.png

:lol Subtle, I love it.

ShinNL

Oh what the hell. That looks like it's going to have a PSP port. Or is a PSP port. The hell with this :O

Teknoman

billy.sea said:

You have an Other M avatar. You should know what everyone expects :lol

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Wow. Those textures are bullshit. They're not even pretending to take this port seriously, are they?

My guess is Treyarch's split between this and the next CoD. It might be a really small team on this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They’ve probably done the absolute bare minimum of engine optimization, in that they just got it working, and from then on just scaled back the quality of textures/models until it ran at an acceptable framerate (which I assume won’t even exist, and there will still be slowdowns, thanks to the lack of proper optimization).

Literally just a case of scaling back everything until it worked. It truly is hideous.

Alex

Soneet said:
Oh what the hell. That looks like it's going to have a PSP port. Or is a PSP port. The hell with this :O

Wasn't that MoH game on Wii a PSP port? Your entire post is an insult to the PSP!

The Gamecube Call of Duties (there were several, right?) looked better because last generation the gap in processing power between all three console wasn't very big which allowed for somewhat easy ports between all three. This generation, the gap between the Wii and PS3/360 is pretty huge and as a result scaling HD games down for the Wii while still making the result look decent requires a lot more effort. What you can see is what you get if developers don't feel like putting in said effort. On the whole, developers like easy ports. As the Wii doesn't allow for this, it usually gets shafted.

At first the fact that Wii ports are difficult to pull off for third parties may seem like a major oversight by Nintendo seeing the extent to which this pisses third parties off but then again, allowing for relatively easy ports really didn't seem to help the Gamecube any, did it?

OnPoint

EatChildren said:
They’ve probably done the absolute bare minimum of engine optimization, in that they just got it working, and from then on just scaled back the quality of textures/models until it ran at an acceptable framerate (which I assume won’t even exist, and there will still be slowdowns, thanks to the lack of proper optimization).

Literally just a case of scaling back everything until it worked. It truly is hideous.

Why not just use the WaW engine then? It looked better than this, no?

BeeDog

:lol Seriously, how hard can it be to make a greatlooking 3rd party game for the Wii? There are other good examples of great-looking Wii games, and with this being part of a high-profile franchise, one should expect more.

scitek

Soneet said:

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 was a PSP port and it looked phenomenal compared to this.

EDIT: Fuck.

AniHawk

BeeDog said:
:lol Seriously, how hard can it be to make a greatlooking 3rd party game for the Wii? There are other good examples of great-looking Wii games, and with this being part of a high-profile franchise, one should expect more.

I think the team making this was given a very little time frame and very few resources (and people). Unfortunately, there are very few companies out there that let you go at a comfortable (let alone your own) pace. It really sucks when you work hard on something and people think you didn't do any work.

BeeDog

AniHawk said:
I think the team making this was given a very little time frame and very few resources (people). Unfortunately, there are very few companies out there that let you go at a comfortable (let alone your own) pace.

Well, that's true I guess. But I'd figure the publishers would care enough to not have a sloppy addition to the franchise tarnish some of the positive attention it has gotten.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
OnPoint said:
Why not just use the WaW engine then? It looked better than this, no?

No idea. Time, money, care, etc. Activision probably said "finish this in a couple of weeks so we can make money" and dont give a shit how it looks. Spend as little as possible on the port and no matter how bad it looks it will still make some money.

AniHawk

EatChildren said:
No idea. Time, money, care, etc. Activision probably said "finish this in a couple of weeks so we can make money" and dont give a shit how it looks. Spend as little as possible on the port and no matter how bad it looks it will still make some money.

Pretty much, especially when it's on shelves next to other Modern Warfares. Wii-only owners will buy it anyway just like they did Quantum of Solace because they don't know any better.

DungeonO

spats said:
Cool. It looks like a ps1 game. Maybe the gameplay is good.

Why even give the gameplay a chance? Why reward these developers/publishers lack of effort? This is a high profile series on the top selling platform of this generation. There is no reason why it should look like a handheld port.

Captain N

DungeonO said:
Why even give the gameplay a chance? Why reward these developers/publishers lack of effort? This is a high profile series on the top selling platform of this generation. There is no reason why it should look like a handheld port.

Well.. What If they put a lot more time into the game itself? I imagine they don't want to spend much time on cut scenes when they only have a year to work on the game.

If it supports...

No Friend Codes
Wii Motion Plus
Wii Speak

..I'll buy it on day 1.

Captain N said:
Well.. What If they put a lot more time into the game itself? I imagine they don't want to spend much time on cut scenes when they only have a year to work on the game.

If it supports...

No Friend Codes
Wii Motion Plus
Wii Speak

..I'll buy it on day 1.
Why?

What could it possibly have over the HD versions?

DungeonO

Captain N said:

If it supports...

No Friend Codes
Wii Motion Plus
Wii Speak

..I'll buy it on day 1.

Unfortunately, for me, a lack of effort in any area knocks the game from my radar. If Super Mario Galaxy looked like Stunt Race FX (which is a reasonable comparison to how shitty COD4 Wii looks), I'd most likely not want anything to do with it. Unless, of course, that was the specific style Nintendo was going for. With COD though, I'm sure the developer wasn't going for a nostalgic PSX look with the visuals. :lol

Michan

DungeonO said:
I think you missed the--- never mind.

For what its worth I'll hold off on my judgement until I can see it in motion and in the actual gameplay first person camera. That being said those screens are definitely ugly. This sort of reeks of Activision the publisher sort of shoving this one on Treyarch at the last moment so I'm not sure its fair to blame them in this case. We don't know what sort of crazy timeline they were given to crank this out.

OnPoint

fizzelopeguss said:
Rather than create new assets they've just nuked the texture resolution and ripped chunks of polygons off the characters and environs.

See, they're just marketing this wrong. This could be a bullet point to sell the game to those longing for the 32/64-bit era, much like Mega Man 9 was targeted toward those who grew up in the 8-bit days.

MarkusRJR

mr_nothin said:
mwwii1.jpg

Is that guy, laying on the ground at the bottom right, even suppose to be in that picture? Why does he have higher rez textures than the main guy that's the focus of the screenshot?

I bet he was photoshopped in:lol

If you look closely, he is photoshopped in! lol he doesnt have any jaggies.
It almost looks like they photoshopped in a character from CoD4 (on PS3/360/PC) to make it look better. :lol

Other than that, It looks worse than World at War on Wii.
And that game looked fugly as hell to begin with.

Top Bottom