• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War - First impressions (Full review embargo lifts Apr 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to it, the reactions are a nice boost of confidence but I'll mostly go blind into the movie because of track record which has been pretty good overall.

I mean I enjoyed all the movies I went to, only skipped out on the cinemas for Thor 2 and Iron Man 2. And since I'm not in the Age of Ultron(I like both avengers movies about equally to me they both have good and bad, only edge the first one had for me was being a true event) hate camp seems like a pretty safe bet.

Anth0ny

the fact that they are allowing social media impressions this early and lifting the full review embargo almost a month out says a lot, though.

disney knows they have a home run on their hands. I believe that the Russos will deliver.

but these twitter fingers gotta chill with the "best spidey of all time" and "reminds me of the GOAT spidey 2" talk

DKHF

I'm glad that at least they seem to have got Spider-Man right, so the partnership with Sony will be worth it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Zemo is another wasted Marvel villain whose scheme is, while not as crazy as Lex's, isn't much more coherent or less convoluted

I know to expect this from Marvel Studios after them having done it 10+ times, but another great villain and actor wasted will always make me sad.

kurahador

Are any of those critics?

Nope, but it never hurts to set your expectation low.

Alright...here's critic early impression for AoU;
yhGIT2M.jpg

Interesting to note these are mostly "geeky" sites. I haven't seen anything from the likes of EW, Variety, Guardian, LA Times, etc.

I'm not sure if their critics typically post personal responses on their accounts or if they're just waiting until Wednesday to publish their review. Or if they even saw it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Has anyone said what the runtime is?

but these twitter fingers gotta chill with the "best spidey of all time" and "reminds me of the GOAT spidey 2" talk

I should see Spider-Man 2 again cus as a kid I was kind of disappointed with it.

Dr. Octopus is to blame, I think, he just looks so goddamn stupid.

4y0leo9.jpg

Even as a kid I couldn't take this shit seriously.

Anth0ny

Nope, but it never hurts to set your expectation low.

Alright...here's critic early impression for AoU;
yhGIT2M.jpg

haha I remember all of those impressions talking about hawkeye for some reason

i don't even remember a single fucking thing hawkeye did in that movie

besides have a family

him shooting ant man on his arrow from the civil war trailer >>>>>>>>> AoU

icespide

Banned

I should see Spider-Man 2 again cus as a kid I was kind of disappointed with it.

4y0leo9.jpg

you're wrong. doc oc was great

89 is what Winter Soldier got, that should be the floor

Based on the early AoU impressions (a lot of which came from the same people), let's be conservative and set 75% as the floor.

My guess is this comes in somewhere between the two, maybe 83-85

jackdoe

Interesting to note these are mostly "geeky" sites. I haven't seen anything from the likes of EW, Variety, Guardian, LA Times, etc.

I'm not sure if their critics typically post personal responses on their accounts or if they're just waiting until Wednesday to publish their review. Or if they even saw it.
These rapid fire early reactions are the modus operandi of enthusiast sites, so it's not that strange to not see anything from the more respected publications.

Damn it, why can't MCU have a decent villain that doesn't go to waste? Why they gotta waste Daniel Bruhl's talents?
Praying that he's not a one and done villain.

Jigorath

Banned

4y0leo9.jpg

Woah now. Doc Ock is one of the GOAT comic movie villains.

ZeroX03

Banned
Damn it, why can't MCU have a decent villain that doesn't go to waste? Why they gotta waste Daniel Bruhl's talents?

Loki? They are great on the TV side.

TV gives them time to develop villains. In the movies there's two hours and they want to push the main heroes as much as possible.

Not an excuse, just what they focus on. They just don't care about villains. We know movies can do great villains and heroes. I'll take the aforementioned Doc Ock over any of the MCU's movie villains so far.

jackal27

Banned
Sounding like good stuff so far. Keeping my expectations in check, but I don't really see why at this point. Marvel and the directors have a great track record.

the fact that they are allowing social media impressions this early and lifting the full review embargo almost a month out says a lot, though.

To be fair they did the same with Age of Ultron and that movie didn't turn out so well, at least in my opinion.

Early impressions are never a surefire thing for any movie anyway, but it's better that there is good impressions from critics rather than bad ones.

To be fair they did the same with Age of Ultron and that movie didn't turn out so well, at least in my opinion.

Early impressions are never a surefire thing for any movie anyway, but it's better that there is good impressions from critics rather than bad ones.

These early impressions seem more positive than AoU.

Interested to watch the film but one thing I have have zero expectations on is the villain.

Outside of Loki, Marvel have had some of the worst villains I've ever seen in comic book movies and I don't expect this film to change tradition.

Neoxon

Sounds promising, but early impressions don't mean a whole lot. As for the RT score, I'm gonna guess around 80% at least. AoU got a 75% while Winter Soldier got a 89%. Plus with Marvel lifting the actual embargo as early as they're planning to, clearly they're confident in Civil War's quality.

onipex

Can't really trust first impressions , but I hope this movie is more WS and a whole lot less of AoU.

Thankfully the WS guys are behind this one ,but I'll keep my hope in check.

Sounds promising, but early impressions don't mean a whole lot. As for the RT score, I'm gonna guess around 80% at least. AoU got a 75% while Winter Soldier got a 89%. Plus with Marvel lifting the actual embargo as early as they're planning to, clearly they're confident in Civil War's quality.

They're also doing it to capitalize on BvS' mostly negative response.

Probably.

I just read those AoU impressions and yeah, they are surprisingly tepid, at best.

But as always, best to remain skeptic and lower your expectations.

True, I remember the AOU impressions and kept on seeing words like 'busy', 'stuffed', 'bloated' in a fair number of them.

black070

Marvel seems to have knocked it out of the park once again, and great to know that not only have Black Panther and Spiderman been done justice, but that the latter will play a bigger role then we thought.

Blastoise

Banned
2015 was when I realised Black Panther was a thing. Probably my most hyped superhero other than Batman.

Really stoked about the impressions.

y2dvd

Any movie that lifts review embargoes out this early from release usually is a sign of confidence. I'm trying to keep my hype level in check as first impressions are almost always positive, but dang it's hard not to get hype! I hope CW lives up to TWS. More Cap3 and less Avengers 2.5 please.

jdstorm

Banned
Glad that marvel did so well with Spider-Man and Black Panther. Now if they could just get the rights back to the fantastic four so they can have their own big 3 back ( Superman, Batman and Womnerwoman = Spider-Man, Black Panther and Sue Storm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom