• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

1di1z.jpg

What the hell? I was thinking that the Lords of Shadow sequel and Mirrors of Fate were going to be two different games....Guess not. I was really hoping for another game on consoles.

AppleMIX

What the hell? I was thinking that the Lords of Shadow sequel and Mirrors of Fate were going to be two different games....Guess not. I was really hoping for another game on consoles.

It's a lead up game to LOS2. Which will be announced this E3 (If I had to take a guess PS3/360/WiiU) .

kunonabi

Lords of Shadow was such a departure for me from the IGA-vania's that It's probably the reason why I dislike it so much. Maybe it's patrick stewart's narration? or maybe gabriel belmont was not an interesting character at all?

The annoying thing is Gabriel was an interesting character in the narration. It was just never reflected anywhere else and he came off as an emotionless husk. Made the twist ending into a complete joke because of it. Funny thing is the DLC apparently made the turn even more idiotic.

Seriously all I want from Konami is Bloodlines on the VC so I can just be done with them.

Risgroo

So is this full 3D like the first LoS? Awesome if true. I don't have any problem with the change to the series, as the only CV game I've played is Lords of Shadow, which I loved. Still, I understand whyfans of the older games are dissappointed.

The annoying thing is Gabriel was an interesting character in the narration. It was just never reflected anywhere else and he came off as an emotionless husk. Made the twist ending into a complete joke because of it. Funny thing is the DLC apparently made the turn even more idiotic.

Seriously all I want from Konami is Bloodlines on the VC so I can just be done with them.

That was my only complaint from an other wise excellent game. There was such a disconnect from the ingame cutscenes which were well done, to the narrative that was presented to us from Stweart. Still I prefer that disconnect, than the nonsense we had to suffer through with Soma and his gang of friends saying they'll always be there for him, even if they know the darkness is inside of him cliche, cliche , cliche and Mina starting at him with horrible dialogue that everyone helped him through his ordeal. Good grief.

Suairyu

Banned
Lords of Shadow was such a departure for me from the IGA-vania's that It's probably the reason why I dislike it so much.
Well, at least you now know the mindset of those who disliked the departure from "proper Castlevania" that the IGA games were.

Frankly, I think Castlevania is just a set of ideas and aesthetics at this point. IGAvania has most definitely run its course. Lords of Shadow might not be everyone's favourite, but at least it's different, and in 10 years time you'll have some brand new interpretation of Castlevania again!

Ridley327

That was my only complaint from an other wise excellent game. There was such a disconnect from the ingame cutscenes which were well done, to the narrative that was presented to us from Stweart. Still I prefer that disconnect, than the nonsense we had to suffer through with Soma and his gang of friends saying they'll always be there for him, even if they know the darkness is inside of him cliche, cliche , cliche and Mina starting at him with horrible dialogue that everyone helped him through his ordeal. Good grief.

Are you physically incapable of criticizing things that LoS got wrong without mentioning how much worse IGA would have done it?

TreIII

Well, at least you now know the mindset of those who disliked the departure from "proper Castlevania" that the IGA games were.

Frankly, I think Castlevania is just a set of ideas and aesthetics at this point. IGAvania has most definitely run its course. Lords of Shadow might not be everyone's favourite, but at least it's different, and in 10 years time you'll have some brand new interpretation of Castlevania again!

Cannot be quoted enough.

It's kind of like how Megaman, another long-running franchise, has certainly been open to different styles of "interpretation", including Legends, Battle Network and the Zero series.

Sure, they're all Megaman games, but about the only thing they have in common with Original series is that there's some little guy fighting for the sake of everlasting peace. I can't even say "little blue guy", because Zero isn't one! :lol

Teknoman

I wonder if this means Gabriel had a brother that had a child...because I dont think the Belmont bloodline being half-vampire would sit right.

Regardless, I still think a 2.5D adventure with fun fighting mechanics and good 2D platforming/different 2.5D viewpoints would work great on the 3DS.

Teknoman

Those scans don't look 2.5D....I'm not sure what to think yet...

Think Viewtiful Joe, Kirby 64, or even DKC Returns. Its possible to have differing viewpoints while remaining 2D control wise.

At least thats what i'm hoping. If not, well as long as its fun and hopefully has some classic remixes thrown in this time.

Think Viewtiful Joe, Kirby 64, or even DKC Returns. Its possible to have differing viewpoints while remaining 2D control wise.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw those scans. Parts play like a normal 2D game and other times there are different camera angles while the gameplay is still 2D.

sfried

It won't. If the rumors are right, the game will have a progression much like a Classic game with stages and multiple paths. And different stages for Simon/Trevor.
Oh God, even better. CLASSICVANIA HAS RETURNED!
Hopefully. I hated the copout at Order of Ecclesia. Not saying Metroidvania is bad, but...

Orayn

Oh God, even better. CLASSICVANIA HAS RETURNED!
Hopefully. I hated the copout at Order of Ecclesia. Not saying Metroidvania is bad, but...

...But people pretend Metroidvania is the only game in town, and that the series hasn't included excellent action games before. Good on MercuryStream for rocking the boat! Actionvania is 'Vania too!

sfried

...But people pretend Metroidvania is the only game in town, and that the series hasn't included excellent action games before. Good on MercuryStream for rocking the boat! Actionvania is 'Vania too!
Well, Ecclesia sorta did count (as an actionvania).

I do hope MercuryStream has played the hell enough out of the original, Castlevania III, and Rondo of Blood to know what really works. I'd hate to take QTEs into the 2D realm.

Hmm apparently from the preview they're saying it's very exploration heavy and based in one castle. Sounds more like SotN to me. =(

Orayn

Hmm apparently from the preview they're saying it's very exploration heavy and based in one castle. Sounds more like SotN to me. =(

5itS5.jpg

Maybe it's some new merger between the two styles? I guess it could work. It was tried on PS2, but never all that successfully.

Orayn

Yeah, since watching Sequelitis I've sort of been lamenting all the cool design elements of pre-SotN Castlevania that have fallen into disuse. People heaping praise onto those games without even having played the older ones doesn't help matters.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah, since watching Sequelitis I've sort of been lamenting all the cool design elements of pre-SotN Castlevania that have fallen into disuse. People heaping praise onto those games without even having played the older ones doesn't help matters.

Some of those design elements have been in post-SotN games too, but they weren't the core hook. This change in focus simply had to do with the fact that the older games were far shorter and less replay value, so IGA's had this philosophy to offer little fancy trinkets to keep players chugging along. The problem with such a philosophy is it only stands out in SotN, AoS, and OoE, and the last two of those are the worst selling Metroidvanias on the platforms they were on..the other titles go overkill on lots of goodies, but there's not a hint of substance to be found in any of it. It's hollow goods.

Its really disheartening about OoE when you think about it, because it was for once a well constructed game. Sadly it was a disaster sales wise, but it was bound to happen, and it was a forseen consequence of the extreme dilution. IGA ran the gamut with the previous titles, and phoned in the level design, and just kept adding derivative variations of the mechanics that functioned similarly.

No matter the name change. Souls to Glyps they all functioned virtually identically, but OoE was an improvement on basically every level, because I suspect by then IGA could feel the heat on him so to speak to actually make a good game for a God damn change, when he had six years of shenanigans and tom foolery. Sadly, the game was released into ignominy and very few people cared.

Any reasonable sensible person knows it was time for him to step down. It couldn't continue this way. It simply couldn't, however not only did they ask him to step down it seems like they banished him, and you will hear no complaints from me.

When I say Dave Cox and Mercury Steam saved this franchise, I mean it will all my heart.

Some of those design elements have been in post-SotN games too, but they weren't the core hook. This change in focus simply had to do with the fact that the older games were far shorter and less replay value, so IGA's had this philosophy to offer little fancy trinkets to keep players chugging along. The problem with such a philosophy is it only stands out in SotN, AoS, and OoE, and the last two of those are the worst selling Metroidvanias on the platforms they were on..the other titles go overkill on lots of goodies, but there's not a hint of substance to be found in any of it. It's hollow goods.
I don't know man. Castlevania III had branching paths, so depending on your route to Dracula you could easily miss 5 or 6 whole levels. Also it had 4 playable characters and 4 different endings. I played Castlevania III to death, I even beat it with Trevor alone which is quite a feat especially in the doppelgänger fight.

Like I said SotN was a decent game dont get me wrong but personally I ran out of steam after beating it once, same as the first GBA Castlevania that came out. So I guess what I'm trying to say is replay value is in the eye of the beholder.

Akainu

Lords of Shadow was such a departure for me from the IGA-vania's that It's probably the reason why I dislike it so much. Maybe it's patrick stewart's narration? or maybe gabriel belmont was not an interesting character at all?
I can understand not being into it cause it was different but Patrick Stewart? Really?

Top Bottom