• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cavaliers have traded Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Žiži, & pick

There's also the coaching question. Can IT thrive under Coach 'Bron? Will Kyrie explode playing for a real coach for the first time in years?

Amory

BOS got robbed.

What are you doing Danny. In an era where Cousins and Paul George got traded for a pack of gum you give up the farm for the POSSIBLE right to get smoked by GS in the finals

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So real question: is Boston a playoff team right now? Didn't they dump or let their starting 5 + 6th man walk? Or something like that? What do they have outside of KI and GH now that can help them compete for the 8th seed?

Huh? The east is terrible. I don't think they're a lock for the 2 seed but they'll win 45+ games still... which might be good enough for the 2 seed anyway

AirBrian

Boston is .500 against GS the last two seasons. And it took a 2OT in GS's 73-record season to beat Boston. Not saying this helps or hurts the Cavs' chances, but definitely interesting to see IT and Crowder's impact as Cavs against GS*.

*Assuming they meet in the finals again.

Oozer3993

So real question: is Boston a playoff team right now? Didn't they dump or let their starting 5 + 6th man walk? Or something like that? What do they have outside of KI and GH now that can help them compete for the 8th seed?

How dare you slander Kelly Olynyk! He's worth an entire starting 5 on his own!

The truth. WTF is your pointless driveby post?

I don't think Kyrie is as good of a player as most seem to think he is, and overall share a somewhat similar sentiment, but that entire post seemed to be written by a 12 year old...

Did you miss the 2016 playoffs? He's a killer in the playoffs.

Tbh, I disagree.

Kyrie's highs are among the best in the NBA; when he gets going it's as if he could make any shot.

But it feels like people only remember those incredibly hot games, and because he has LeBron, those worse performances are forgotten.

Code:
Rk     G         Opp GS    MP FG FGA  FG% 3P 3PA  3P% FT FTA   FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc +/-
1      1 IND  W (+1)  1 38:55 11  27 .407  1   9 .111  0   1  .000   0   3   3   6   2   1   2  3  23 12.7  +3
2      2 IND  W (+6)  1 34:15 14  24 .583  4  10 .400  5   5 1.000   0   2   2   2   1   0   4  4  37 23.2   0
3      3 IND  W (+5)  1 27:33  4  17 .235  1   6 .167  4   5  .800   0   2   2   4   0   0   3  1  13  2.3 -15
4      4 IND  W (+4)  1 36:41 10  25 .400  1   7 .143  7   7 1.000   2   0   2   0   1   3   1  2  28 17.2  +4
5      5 TOR W (+11)  1 34:43  7  16 .438  3   8 .375  7   9  .778   0   2   2  10   2   0   3  1  24 21.0 +32
6      6 TOR W (+22)  1 30:25  6  19 .316  3   6 .500  7   7 1.000   0   0   0  11   2   0   2  2  22 18.0 +26
7      7 TOR W (+21)  1 31:44  7  21 .333  1   5 .200  1   1 1.000   1   4   5   4   0   0   1  1  16  7.4  +1
8      8 TOR  W (+7)  1 40:22 10  24 .417  2   6 .333  5   5 1.000   1   4   5   9   4   1   1  1  27 25.7 +14
9      9 BOS W (+13)  1 34:17  4  11 .364  0   3 .000  3   3 1.000   0   2   2   6   2   1   2  2  11  9.6 +12
10    10 BOS W (+44)  1 29:42  8  11 .727  3   6 .500  4   5  .800   0   1   1   3   1   1   4  2  23 17.4 +37
11    11 BOS  L (-3)  1 40:07 10  15 .667  4   6 .667  5   5 1.000   0   2   2   7   1   0   3  1  29 25.6   0
12    12 BOS W (+13)  1 41:27 15  22 .682  4   7 .571  8   9  .889   0   3   3   4   0   0   3  2  42 32.1  +9
13    13 BOS W (+33)  1 31:37  9  15 .600  4   8 .500  2   2 1.000   1   1   2   7   2   0   3  0  24 22.0 +33
14    14 GSW L (-22)  1 34:53 10  22 .455  3   4 .750  1   1 1.000   3   0   3   2   0   1   4  3  24 11.6 -17
15    15 GSW L (-19)  1 40:02  8  23 .348  2   6 .333  1   2  .500   0   2   2   7   2   0   3  1  19  9.8 -17
16    16 GSW  L (-5)  1 44:23 16  29 .552  0   7 .000  6   6 1.000   1   5   6   3   0   0   2  5  38 24.4  -9
17    17 GSW W (+21)  1 40:31 15  27 .556  7  12 .583  3   4  .750   3   4   7   4   1   0   3  4  40 29.2  +7
18    18 GSW  L (-9)  1 41:47  9  22 .409  1   2 .500  7   7 1.000   1   1   2   6   2   0   4  3  26 16.2  +4

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 8/22/2017.

He wasn't anything special against the Pacers (didn't score efficiently at all in game 1, great game 2, horrible game 3, eh game 4).

He was great against the Raptors.

Was bad to eh the first two games against Boston, good the 3rd game, amazing the 4th game, good the 5th game.

He was eh the first two games against the Warriors, amazing game 3 and 4, good in game 5.

This doesn't really take into account his defense either.

This whole thing seems like a wash and possibly net positive for both

Cavs weren't gonna keep lebron or kyrie, but they can likely keep IT as their max star to sell tickets while rebuilding

Celtics were likely to become kings of the east after lebron leaves, but had no chance to win a chip with IT as their best player. Kyrie makes them far more likely to win a finals.

NYR

18 year old LeBron James? LeBron was and is a once in a generation player. I love me some Kyrie, but LeBron James is top 5 all time. Kyrie is never going to be that. Nobody else playing in this league today is going to be that.
His argument was an 18 year old counts have an impact on the Cavs. Kyrie's entire agrument is he is just as good as LeBron and deserves his own team. I refuted that quite easily using basically the same variables and the assumption Kyrie is even in the same league as LeBron, which is what Kyrie thinks of himself.

megalowho

VkZaSws.jpg

Danny Ainge is a madman, I both hate and love his giant balls.

Kyrie isn't great on D, but "they" say IT is like literally the worst defender in the league by the numbers. Are "they" wrong?

(Don't ask me who "they" are.)

I mean, IT's lack of size probably makes him automatically worse, but it's not exactly a point in Kyrie's favor. It's like saying Nickleback is a better band than Smashmouth.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This whole thing seems like a wash and possibly net positive for both

Cavs weren't gonna keep lebron or kyrie, but they can likely keep IT as their max star to sell tickets while rebuilding

Celtics were likely to become kings of the east after lebron leaves, but had no chance to win a chip with IT as their best player. Kyrie makes them far more likely to win a finals.

I really can't see them paying IT 200 mil if Lebron bolts. Zero reason to lock yourself long term to that kind of deal instead of just completely rebuilding. Lebron leaves means they just got salary off the books + picked up the Nets pick in the process. They don't have to pay IT to be non competitive

VkZaSws.jpg

Danny Ainge is a madman, I both hate and love his giant balls.

Celtics offseason has been fascinating. Its hard to say whether or not they're actually better than what they were last year because its an entirely different team. They passed up on a bunch of clear upgrades to eventually pay big for Kyrie. Hard to fathom how they couldn't work out deals with Indiana or Chicago but went down this route.

Damn was about to come into this thread thinking Boston completely won this thread and will own the east for at least the next 3-5 years.

But the trade is even or possibly worse for Boston?!

He didn't like Kyrie and they upgraded their team drastically. Why would this make him more likely to leave?

Yeah if anything this makes LeBron staying more likely. IT is a very similar player to KI, Crawford could be poised for a breakout and should he'll really well with LeBron and that Nets pick is either going to net them another young stud or used as ammo in a trade for another star if LeBron and IT resign.

I honestly don't think the Brooklyn pick is going to be as valuable as people make it out to be. They got way better this offseason. Eastern conference better, but better nonetheless. They'll probably be fighting for a playoff spot. Think it's a decent trade for both sides.

It will definitely be fascinating to watch IT and LeBron play together. IT often carried the C's offensively late in games out of necessity, but I think he will be able to adjust. In any event, Cavs/C's games will be something to see. I still think a Hayward/Irving/Horford team with the young depth and Stevens coaching is enough for a 2 seed in the East.

Damn was about to come into this thread thinking Boston completely won this thread and will own the east for at least the next 3-5 years.

But the trade is even or possibly worse for Boston?!

Some people are expecting the Nets pick to turn into Kevin Durant. If it does, the Cavs won the trade. Tune in after 2020 to find out.

Yeah if anything this makes LeBron staying more likely. IT is a very similar player to KI, Crawford could be poised for a breakout and should he'll really well with LeBron and that Nets pick is either going to net them another young stud or used as ammo in a trade for another star if LeBron and IT resign.

LeBron is gone. Zero chance he stays. Cleveland blows it up next year, but at least they have assets moving forward now.

Cavs did really well here.

Kyrie and IT very similar players. Kyrie younger but both have had injury issues.

Cavs won the trade with the Brooklyn pick

Amory

Celtics offseason has been fascinating. Its hard to say whether or not they're actually better than what they were last year because its an entirely different team. They passed up on a bunch of clear upgrades to eventually pay big for Kyrie. Hard to fathom how they couldn't work out deals with Indiana or Chicago but went down this route.
They're definitely better. Probably significantly. But that really doesn't matter while the Warriors exist.

I thought the Cs could end up with Kyrie this offseason but never did I think Danny would mortgage the future by trading that BKN pick. Never. I did think the LAL/SAC pick would be included, which would've been fair for both sides but ultimately Boston wins that deal.

Boston is .500 against GS the last two seasons. And it took a 2OT in GS's 73-record season to beat Boston. Not saying this helps or hurts the Cavs' chances, but definitely interesting to see IT and Crowder's impact as Cavs against GS*.

*Assuming they meet in the finals again.
Bradley was a huge factor on defense. Cavs don't have him.

jmizzal

Holy crap I went to sleep and woke up to this

I thought it was fake lol

Danny did it, Cavs got a 1 year rental, LeBron leaving after the year they wont resign Thomas, Cavs go into rebuild

Celtics have a bright future

Cavs still wont beat GS, but Crowder is a good fit, Thomas I dont know how he fits with them tho

Lol some of my buddies are questioning if Cavs will be all that good now Kyrie is gone I did not know so many people slept on IT

Kyrie is really good, but he's honestly one of the more overrated players in the league. It's like people equate how many commercials a guy is in with their skill level. The way people talk about Kyrie you'd think he was one of the 4 or 5 best players in the league.

I think the news of Kyrie Irving wanting a trade hit several weeks after it came out that LMA wanted out of San Antonio.

But LMA is still there and this happens.

jmizzal

He didn't like Kyrie and they upgraded their team drastically. Why would this make him more likely to leave?

umm LeBron wasnt leaving cuz he didnt like Kyrie, Kyrie is the one who didnt like Bron, Bron doesnt like Gilbert but sucked it up to bring to NBA title to the Land.

Bron is gone, he doesnt want to play with IT to finish he career lol he wants to play with his banana boat buddys

Cipherr

Call me crazy but I think IT is a worse match up against GSW than Kyrie was.

This doesn't matter. There was no trade that would have granted Cavs parity with the fucking Golden State Super team, so judging a trade based on whether or not it did is a waste of everyones time.

Everyone in the 1st page is like BOS won this deal? How the fuck lmao

I'd be running the GM out of town for this garbage ass deal. He should have offered Bulls this package for Jimmy Butler stupid fucks.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
People saying the Celtics trading away one of their 1st round picks is stupid are probably forgetting just how many of them they have stockpiled. Is it a great idea? No, but it's not going to kill them, either. As much as I like IT, I like Kyrie more so I'm interested to see how this is going to affect the team this year. We'll see. That'll certainly be a fun game to start the season with, though.

People saying the Celtics trading away one of their 1st round picks is stupid are probably forgetting just how many of them they have stockpiled. Is it a great idea? No, but it's not going to kill them, either. As much as I like IT, I like Kyrie more so I'm interested to see how this is going to affect the team this year. We'll see. That'll certainly be a fun game to start the season with, though.

Not all first round picks are the same. They have two really, really good first round pick assets, this one and the Lakers pick, which only conveys if it's between 2-5 next year. The draft is a crap shoot but a potentially first overall pick is extremely valuable.

Tall4Life

I'd be running the GM out of town for this garbage ass deal. He should have offered Bulls this package for Jimmy Butler stupid fucks.
If they traded for Butler before free agency, then no Hayward.
Not all first round picks are the same. They have two really, really good first round pick assets, this one and the Lakers pick, which only conveys if it's between 2-5 next year. The draft is a crap shoot but a potentially first overall pick is extremely valuable.

Yep. It would be great if we pulled a Golden State and hit on our later first round picks, but those top 10 picks have a much greater chance of turning out awesome players

If they traded for Butler or George early they wouldn't have been able to pick up Hayward in free agency

If the trade was completed early, you're right. But there's no reason why a trade couldn't have been agreed to in principal and then only executed after Hayward had signed. It's not like Boston couldn't have beaten either Minny or OKC's offers.

Boston should have been able to offer less to get Butler, and Butler is a better all-around player than Kyrie!

Chicago would have had to agree to postpone executing the deal until after Hayward had signed, but I don't recall any specific reason why Chicago had to trade Butler when they did, other than they wanted to move up in the draft to get Markkanen.

Top Bottom