• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville racist(s) losing jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a freedom of speech issue.

If the government were rounding them up throwing them into jail for being at this rally, then yes, that's a freedom of speech issue.

Having a job isn't a right enshrined in the Constitution, it's a privilege, and just like with any other privileges, it can be taken away.

Companies want their employees to set a positive image for the company. It's not a positive image if your employee is at a rally spouting off Nazi bullshit.

When you get hired for a job, you're a representative of the place that hired you, whether you're at work or not, and you're actions do reflect on the place that hired you.

There's consequences for your actions and I'm not shedding a tear for any of these people who lose their job.

Yeah I feel like we're going to keep going over this point again and again. There should be mandatory reading for discussing freedom of speech and employment law.

Phased

I don't really see too much wrong with this. I'm what I would consider a pretty strong free speech advocate, and the big caveat to that is you aren't immune from consequences if what you say or Express is toxic.

Say what you want, but don't act surprised or hurt if the rest of the world doesn't want you around after.

I dunno. I guess I'm happy that the little racist lost his job selling hot dogs.

It feels like beating a single henchman while the supervillains at the top are virtually untouchable.

I don't think I should have to explain why it's essential that we always ask ourselves whether and how we should be better than our enemies.

Are you going to respond to anyone that is presenting a counter argument to your ridiculous statements or will you continue to dodge posts?

DarkKyo

Good stuff, but what's shitty is you know this will make the racists who lose their job double down and blame their firing on society rather than their own terrible choices.

That the more we use shitty tactics like social media vigilantism, doxxing people and outing them to their employers, etc. - tactics that Nazis and alt-right scum also use and that I first observed as a fear tactic used to shame people into silence about their views on abortion - the more these tactics grow in acceptance and use.

I don't shed a tear for the Nazi dude who gets fired. I absolutely agree that I wouldn't want someone like that working for me. What I'm uncomfortable with is social media vigilantism, doxxing, and outing people to their employers so that they'll be fired becoming accepted practice in general, because that gives the tactic so much more potential - due to its normalcy - to be reused and abused by people I don't agree with.

We have tactics that Nazis can't co-opt - nonviolent resistance. We know that Nazis can't use those tactics because Nazism depends on violent oppression of nonwhites. I'd rather we stick to a playbook that doesn't set uncomfortable precedents about social media detectives being gatekeepers for who's acceptable enough to have a job. I don't like the potential that tactic has for abuse and misuse.

Let's please not fucking act like this is gonna become a social norm.

I'm not a fan of doxxing, but let's not fucking act like this is a slippery slope.

The Wart

There are certainly good reasons to object to doxxing, and reasons to be concerned about internet mobs trying to get people fired based on incomplete snippets going viral. This is not a situation where those concerns apply. These people appeared, maskless, at a public rally for the most vile, hateful, and violent ideologies in human history. They made their association with nazism and white supremacy public knowledge. Posting their names online is just giving a signal boost to what they have already revealed about themselves.

Mahonay

Banned
So I got jumped on pretty fast which I fully expected. I'm not sure I can respond to everyone at once.

I would argue that we employ millions of people that want others dead. Plenty of religious people want certain groups or sects dead/eradicated. That's not to say all but they are certainly out there. Most businesses do also have a right to fire these people and that's fine. It is their business after all. I'm simply just saying I don't know if hunting down these people and actively trying to get them fired is the best practice. One I still stand by that it's a slippery slope and that right now we know their opinion is shitty but this could move to other opinions in the future. And then also I don't think this is going to help the problem in America. Them getting fired is just going to further fuel their rage against minorities and other groups. They will end up blaming their unemployment on them and say see they are here to take our jobs. This will only further their twisted sense of reality.

I know this isn't going to be a popular response on this forum. I'm just giving my two cents. Please keep it respectable as we are all exchanging ideas here and trying to develop a good conversation here.
Nazism/White Supremacy is not "a shitty opinion". It's hate.

JJMorris

because that gives the tactic so much more potential - due to its normalcy - to be reused and abused by people I don't agree with.

Their free speech rights were disregarded once they were threatening other's rights. It's the same reason you don't say, "I have a bomb."

I have shared my home and hearth with friends and acquaintances of every race, gender and creed. I have taught all of my children that all men and women are created equal. That we must love each other all the same.

Evidently Peter has chosen to unlearn these lessons, much to my and his family’s heartbreak and distress. We have been silent up until now, but now we see that this was a mistake. It was the silence of good people that allowed the Nazis to flourish the first time around, and it is the silence of good people that is allowing them to flourish now.

He once joked, “The thing about us fascists is, it’s not that we don’t believe in freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want. We’ll just throw you in an oven.”

Peter, you will have to shovel our bodies into the oven, too. Please son, renounce the hate, accept and love all.

A few small excerpts.

Good on the family for speaking out and it's absolutely heartbreaking to see.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
So I got jumped on pretty fast which I fully expected. I'm not sure I can respond to everyone at once.

I would argue that we employ millions of people that want others dead. Plenty of religious people want certain groups or sects dead/eradicated. That's not to say all but they are certainly out there. Most businesses do also have a right to fire these people and that's fine. It is their business after all. I'm simply just saying I don't know if hunting down these people and actively trying to get them fired is the best practice. One I still stand by that it's a slippery slope and that right now we know their opinion is shitty but this could move to other opinions in the future. And then also I don't think this is going to help the problem in America. Them getting fired is just going to further fuel their rage against minorities and other groups. They will end up blaming their unemployment on them and say see they are here to take our jobs. This will only further their twisted sense of reality.

I know this isn't going to be a popular response on this forum. I'm just giving my two cents. Please keep it respectable as we are all exchanging ideas here and trying to develop a good conversation here.

Yes, there are people from all sects of life that wish people dead, but are they actively protesting these thoughts and attending rallies in support of such reprehensible views? Some are, sure, but most are not. If you're one of these people, a Nazi or not, then yes, get fired.

This fear of fueling their rage is nonsense. As soon as these thoughts crept into their minds it was unacceptable. It's no more worse if they get angrier after being fired. It was already as bad as can be once they started thinking like white supremacists.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think I should have to explain why it's essential that we always ask ourselves whether and how we should be better than our enemies.

Better than our enemies by not using non-violent public denoucement of their ideals and tactics?

Because that is what your arguing for. Your essentially arguing that in opposition that we don't do anything even when they've shown themselves without any shame. That's not opposition. That's being entirely complicit.

Quixzlizx

There's no slippery slope. Right-wing assholes already doxx people they hate. Doxxing Nazis isn't leading anywhere, other than hopefully causing more Nazis to hide at home instead of marching on our streets.

The Kree

Banned
There's literally no punishment for a Nazi y'all won't find a way to object to. Makes me wonder some things about some people.

Anyway, I hope there are more firings and general misery in the pipeline for these dicks.

Yeah I feel like we're going to keep going over this point again and again. There should be mandatory reading for discussing freedom of speech and employment law.

In every thread about these issues there seems to be confusion as to if people are calling for private citizens to take action based on what we can do, or "the government should be doing this and changing the laws" etc...

Then people argue past each other.

Genocide, Ethnic Cleansing, Gas Chambers, Ovens, the deaths of MILLIONS and the sacrifices of countless lives fighting one of the worst legitimate Evils in the history of all mankind makes this the least slippery slope in existence. Humanity drew a line and that shit doesn't get to be a "belief". There's no conundrum here.

Let's not ever forget what Nazis fucking are. Do not normalize them, ever. Do not brush aside their insanity and monstrosity as simply a "different opinion" or "political belief" ever.

Fair point, no arguments here. I'm only against Internet Mob Justice. People get so caught up in their quest for justice they frame people. Doxxing people and telling others to go visit them isn't justice. Reporting them to their employers is though.

Many people have been fired before for inappropriate things on their Facebooks that their employers have found. This is no different really.
A guy at my company had started a job with us a few weeks before. He became "Facebook" friend with some of the staff. They saw on is mural a lot of xenophobic and racist shit (plus apparently some of hand comments to foreign staff at the company). He was reported to management. Did not denied it, was invited to leave on the spot.
The company does have a very clear policy about this kind of behaviours

There's literally no punishment for a Nazi y'all won't find a way to object to.

Makes me wonder some things about some people.

you're supposed to "debate" them and convince them that nonwhites are humans too while they're beating the shit out of you because if you fight back you're worse than them and also literally Satan

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
As we said yesterday, we don't want threads that are just about doxxing and inciting violence, even when the targets are reprehensible trash who are not deserving of our sympathy. Beyond the difficulties of moderating a mob yelling for blood, it's also a question of legal liability and the possibility of misidentifying someone, like when well meaning people misidentified a random kid as the Boston bomber. If you really really need to discuss this, please use a different venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom