• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro-Trump demonstrators, counter-protesters rally in downtown Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

I am going to bat for anyone in America to have a legal rally. I am against anyone that uses violence to try and stop people they disagree with.

What if they don`t believe what you believe about Trump? They have a completely different opinion of him. You cant just say people are Nazi because they support a person that you believe is a bad person. They have a different view. Look at what this group in Seattle says they want and believe then decide.
Free Speech too all-encompassing if it allows someone to walk around in public with a NAZI FLAG. Period.

You can argue a rally is harmless. You can argue just waving a flag doesn't hurt anyone.

What cannot be argued is that allowing these things to persevere inspires people to commit violent acts of terrorism.

Kusagari

It's literally an extreme fringe left position to call all cops white supremacists, who are the elected Democrats who hold this position? Is this a new Litmus Test for "allies"?

I'm not saying all cops are white supremacists. But I've seen this sentiment everywhere. That moderates will see some people online or at rallies saying similar shit and suddenly decide to join the Nazis side instead.

It's fucking insane.

Why are you holding rallies for the dude who won the election. It's just a cover for their white supremacy/nazi agenda. Is this the new normal, fascists parading in the streets every day? Not even a year and America is heading down a very dangerous path.

If it's the case that police in the US are white-supremacist (I don't know, I'm not American), why is it like that? Don't decent people apply to the force as well? Or is there selective bias going on when it comes to hiring?

Decent cops get ousted for not having the other cop's back.

If it's the case that police in the US are white-supremacist (I don't know, I'm not American), why is it like that? Don't decent people apply to the force as well? Or is there selective bias going on when it comes to hiring?

Nah it's just that a lot of the good ones don't stop the bad ones. So it's a matter of choosing which side to be on. If I'm okay with the evil you do, I'm no better

I'm not saying all cops are white supremacists. But I've seen this sentiment everywhere. That moderates will see some people online or at rallies saying similar shit and suddenly decide to join the Nazis side instead.

It's fucking insane.

I didn't say they would vote the other side, I think those people will stay home.

SeanTSC

A lot of a certain type of people who enjoy abusing power tend to flock to the police forces in the United States.

Fuck, there was even an investigation by the FBI into just how much the KKK and extreme white supremacist groups have infiltrated them.

Cops in this country can't be trusted, especially when it comes to Nazi groups and deplorable sympathizers.

Chococat

They have a different view. Look at what this group in Seattle says they want and believe then decide.

Dude, you're messed up.

People have heard through history what White Supremacists/Nazis/Confederates want. At best they want a apartheid state so they can keep their Aryan blood pure and treat any minority and women as subhuman. At worst, they want genocide on those who are not white enough. There is no comprise with people who want to kill me, my friends, and family.

"Never again" means not letting their blood thirsty ideology take root again and have history repeat itself.

The Kree

Banned
So you are ok with people on the street deciding who is and who isn't a Nazi and fucking them up? What if they are wrong?

Defending free speech and a permitted rally against violence is dumb?

No. It's thinking that the first amendment as it exists is without flaw and that violence is never righteous that's dumb.

Zips

I don't know how anyone can stand the American tendency to throw in the words 'Patriot', 'Prayer', and 'Freedom' in to the name of whatever is going on. Often such a pathetic attempt at masking what is in actuality a terrible thing. Case in point with this pro-Trump 'Prayer' rally, held by 'Freedom' group.

Otherwise - things seem to be getting quite heated. Trump shit the bed again, to the surprise of no one. With his signalling that he is not against the Nazis, I expect things will more quickly escalate to violence now. Both because the Nazis will be even more emboldened, but also because the system is failing to take down this threat and so people will more often feel violence is the recourse left.

America needs changes to hate speech laws to block the Nazis from being able to step into the light like they are.

Also pretty sad that it seems like all it really has taken to disarm a significant number of people to nazi ideologies is to just call it by a different name.

Cartman86

Banned
So you are ok with people on the street deciding who is and who isn't a Nazi and fucking them up? What if they are wrong?

What if they are right? This is a boring old ass fucking train of thought. Should we debate the existence of god next?

traveler

Not Wario
Read what I posted, there are people here literally calling all cops Nazi's and/or Nazi sympathizers. Please point me to where that article agrees with that

It's generally beneficial to assume all as shorthand for most in internet discussions. I think people realize there are good or, at the very least, not disgusting cops out there.

What if they are right? This is a boring old ass fucking train of thought. Should we debate the existence of god next?

Except this "boring old ass fucking train of thought" is the standard by which we apply justice- innocent until proven guilty. Just as Trump's fear driven policies towards immigration have inadvertently provided the fuel Islamic terrorists have desired, if the left gives in to its (justified, even) anger and takes the easy way out, we'll have given the domestic terrorists the fuel they need.

entremet

This type of unrest is not uncommon in US history. We’ve just been spoiled by peacetime. I do hope there is an abating, but we elected a white supremacist President and this will be the fruits of his administration.

I’ve now seen you in several threads essentially taking the position “But how do we know if they’re really Nazis??” It’s misguided and tired.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Might be a good idea to leave now.

Stay safe.

Seems like everyone is going back the way they came. Lots of folks still trying to get to the Westlake park area. Also briefly looked like it was thinning out but more people keep arriving.

Feel bad for the cops because until the Trumpet Nazis show their faces the police are the default opponent.

Silly string everywhere. Who knew Archie McPhee had so many riot supplies?

Syder

Where have you been?
Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHCsSnkXsAIwf9N.jpg[/img]

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHC4Y86XoAAoCcz.jpg[/img]

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHC4Y87XYAA8DRu.jpg[/img]

They're not disguising it

SMFH

UberTag

Ah yes. The 'ole "what if"-ism argument tactic. I can see where this is going.

Perhaps today is NOT the day you want to play devil's advocate for a Pro Trump demonstration.
Especially not one day removed after Nazis drove a car over a bunch of people.
Think you can wait a few days before beating this drum again?

Atenhaus

Seems like everyone is going back the way they came. Lots of folks still trying to get to the Westlake park area. Also briefly looked like it was thinning out but more people keep arriving.

Feel bad for the cops because until the Trumpet Nazis show their faces the police are the default opponent.

Silly string everywhere. Who knew Archie McPhee had so many riot supplies?

Is the group heading back to Denny Park?

kmax

Also pretty sad that it seems like all it really has taken to disarm a significant number of people to nazi ideologies is to just call it by a different name.

They dress up their hate behind frogs and anime now to try to appeal to a younger generation that sieg heiling is cool.

rjinaz

Where have you been?
Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHCsSnkXsAIwf9N.jpg[/img]

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHC4Y86XoAAoCcz.jpg[/img]

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHC4Y87XYAA8DRu.jpg[/img]

They're not disguising it

SMFH

Yeah but, but they are just Nazis!

Sigh. Seems like we already had this viewpoint in this thread. Why these people just don't come out and say that Nazis have the right to protest and should be left alone because it's just a difference of opinion after all, I'll never know.

sphagnum

Banned
This movement and the nazis deserve each other. Both failed political movements for the same reason.

Pretty sure Nazis failed because they got blown the fuck up while Communists failed because the Soviet Union had a rickety central planning system.

Communists are willing to critique themselves, fascists aren't. The USSR is only held in high regard by tankies. Nazis worship Hitler.

Communists are fighting in the streets to protect minorities, fascists are trying to kill them.

One group is superior.

Pizza

I hope all of this leads to discussing what is and isn't alright to do and say in public under the law.

If people fucked around like this in Germany, they'd be arrested.

I think it's fair to say that the Nazis are enemies of the state, we had a whole global war over it. So, in the interest of free speech, going full nazi in public is TECHNICALLY fine as long as you don't mind a patriotic American giving you a well deserved punch in the mouth.

People need to be held accountable for how they act. If the systems in place are failing to protect citizens from hate speech then it's honestly everyone else's responsibility to do so. If you made these alt-right people's skin a few shades darker, all of these events would have a completely different narrative.

If money in our government is a form of free speech, I think punching a literal nazi being a nazi in public is honestly fine. If I were being a nazi, I'd appreciate the punch to the face.

Hate speech isn't free speech, gang.

It's generally beneficial to assume all as shorthand for most in internet discussions. I think people realize there are good or, at the very least, not disgusting cops out there.

Except this "boring old ass fucking train of thought" is the standard by which we apply justice- innocent until proven guilty. Just as Trump's fear driven policies towards immigration have inadvertently provided the fuel Islamic terrorists have desired, if the left gives in to its (justified, even) anger and takes the easy way out, we'll have given the domestic terrorists the fuel they need.
The guy in the car yesterday had plenty of fuel.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I suppose Lynn616 would be fine with an ISIS rally too. They just have a difference of opinion, right?

Or is it different because these guys are white with nice haircuts?

You're either extremely naive, or you agree with their horrible views.

I hope all of this leads to discussing what is and isn't alright to do and say in public under the law.

If people fucked around like this in Germany, they'd be arrested.

I think it's fair to say that the Nazis are enemies of the state, we had a whole global war over it. So, in the interest of free speech, going full nazi in public is TECHNICALLY fine as long as you don't mind a patriotic American giving you a well deserved punch in the mouth.

People need to be held accountable for how they act. If the systems in place are failing to protect citizens from hate speech then it's honestly everyone else's responsibility to do so. If you made these alt-right people's skin a few shades darker, all of these events would have a completely different narrative.

If money in our government is a form of free speech, I think punching a literal nazi being a nazi in public is honestly fine. If I were being a nazi, I'd appreciate the punch to the face.

Hate speech isn't free speech, gang.

I hope that's where this is heading, but I have my doubts.

IaN_GAF

Pretty sure Nazis failed because they got blown the fuck up while Communists failed because the Soviet Union had a rickety central planning system.

Communists are willing to critique themselves, fascists aren't. The USSR is only held in high regard by tankies. Nazis worship Hitler.

Communists are fighting in the streets to protect minorities, fascists are trying to kill them.

One group is superior.

Holy fuck.

You need to read a bit more.

Slime

Banned

Your position doesn't make any sense. Do you think "free speech" is some nebulous bubble where your preferred version of it faces no opposition whatsoever? A counter-protest is free speech at work. Do you think any protest without a government permit is invalid? Should they all be rounded up into caged "free speech zones"?

What exactly are you trying to argue besides "leave the Nazis alone!"?

Lynn616

You cant just take the law in your own hands. You all know this.

I’ve now seen you in several threads essentially taking the position “But how do we know if they’re really Nazis??” It’s misguided and tired.

It is tired seeing anyone that has different opinions labeled as Nazis. Using violence to shut down speech you do not agree with is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom