• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When 'Muh Permits', Goes Horribly Wrong

In the wake of a neo-Nazi riot in Virginia, Trump and his sympathetic media have tried to deflect from the potus' moral equivocation of said Nazis, and anti-fascist protesters. Part of the deflection plan is to (falsely) state that the protesters who bore the brunt of a well armed, bigoted militia were at least partially in the wrong for 'trying to suppress a legally permitted event' without their own permits to counter-rally.

That lie is quickly falling apart as the media begin unwinding the frenetic and confusing events of this past week.

Walt Heinecke, a professor at the University of Virginia, told Moyer that he received a "special events certificate of approval" for events at McGuffey Park and Justice Park.

h/t Malyse

Charlottesville spokeswoman Miriam I. Dickler told Moyer that only one permit was issued for Emancipation Park — the one received by white nationalists staging the “Unite the Right” rally. However, counter-protesters did not need permits to protest that rally, she said.

“Please bear in mind that people do not need a permit to enter a public park, even when another event is scheduled to take place there, nor are they required to have one to be on streets or sidewalks adjacent to or outside the park,” Dickler said in an email.

At one point, the president appeared to refer to a march the night before the death at the main rally.“There were people in that rally, and I looked the night before,” he said. “If you look, they were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee.”

On Friday night, about 250 white nationalists carrying torches marched and chanted anti-Semitic slogans on the U-Va. campus, where they encountered about 30 students who had locked arms around the base of a statue of Thomas Jefferson, according to a Washington Post timeline. Brief clashes took place, resulting in some injuries. U-Va. allows access to open spaces and so permits were not required for such marches, according to a statement by U-Va. President Teresa A. Sullivan condemning the “intimidating and abhorrent behavior displayed by the alt-right protestors.”

On Saturday, when the major violence occurred, people started gathering in Emancipation Park. Charlottesville Police Chief Al S. Thomas Jr. told The Post the white-nationalist groups went back on a plan that would have kept them separated from the counter-protesters. The two sides started clashing, and by 11:22 a.m. police had declared an unlawful assembly.

“I think what the president is trying to say is that counter-protesters did not have a permit to be in Emancipation Park,” Heinicke said. “That’s irrelevant.” He added: “Either way you cut it, the president got it wrong.”

The White House declined to comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ked-a-permit/?utm_term=.dc4709d3be5c#comments

Perhaps now we can move past fucking permits, on towards grappling with the fact that the Trump admin. and it's GOP enablers are running interference for Nazis.

joe2187

Banned
His supporters dont care about the truth or facts. You can tell them the sky is blue and wont believe you unless it comes from the orange grand wizard himself

They're all putting their trucknutz on F350's as we speak, claiming 'Heritage, Not Hate'

As a Southerner I reject that BS and instead substitute 'Punch All Nazis'

It's so fucking dumb. That heritage IS hate. It's hate, slavery, and treason. That's it. That's what it stands for.

If anyone still wants to stand by that, they're a shitbag or an idiot.

nampad

The president got it wrong should be Trump's new slogan.
he uses it for Obama regularly though 😱

why the fuck is the party of small government, little regulation, freedom to do anything you want, pissed about some people not having the proper paperwork?

Shadybiz

His supporters dont care about the truth or facts. You can tell them the sky is blue and wont believe you unless it comes from the orange grand wizard himself

You could even give them a picture of the sky and they'll tell you it's not true, and to "just look it up!!" I swear I have never seen "just look it up" used as a "valid" point used so much in my life until recently. Yesterday, when I asked for proof of a claim, someone told me "I cited sources for my degree, so I don't need to here." Right...I have 2 degrees myself...still cite sources. Fucking morons, all of them.

They're all putting their trucknutz on F350's as we speak, claiming 'Heritage, Not Hate'

As a Southerner I reject that BS and instead substitute 'Punch All Nazis'

We all have heritage, and there's a really good bet that not every one of our ancestors was a good person AT ALL, let alone someone caught up in conflict against their will.

I am not proud of all my ancestors at all, and I don't need statues or shrines of any sort in their memory, especially out in public as reminders to folks who's ancestors suffered greatly under them. It sends a heartless message.

Plus they were traitors, and had a hand in killing thousands of United States soldiers. So fuck them.

L Thammy

Trump didn't just get something wrong accidentally. He's saying whatever he needs to say to protect the people he supports; the well armed, bigoted militia.

Malyse

We're burying the lede tho.

Walt Heinecke, a professor at the University of Virginia, told Moyer that he received a “special events certificate of approval” for events at McGuffey Park and Justice Park.

They had permits for their own event in addition to not needing them for Emancipation Park

wetflame

Pizza Dog
“Either way you cut it, the president got it wrong.”

Never has this been less relevant than today. Trump's supporters do not care that he is lying, or ignorant, or whatever reason it is today for him saying something untrue. It does not impact them when this is pointed out. All Trump cares about is saying something in the moment that he thinks is going to get his audience on his side, and all his followers care about is hearing something that agrees with what they already believe. They want to be told they are right, and then they move onto whatever the next thing they're going to chant.

Polk

OP I don't believe you.
Trump said he waited for all the facts before making a judgement.

/s obv

Fisty

No doubt just parroting some talking point he heard on Fox or Breitbart. It's a bad feeling to know you have better and more reputable sources for news and facts that the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FUCKING STATES.

My guess is that Trump isn't very smart and got confused by having just met to discuss infrastructure regulations. Maybe he was just thinking 'permits' 'permits' 'permits' over and over again in a hope that he would be able to get back to the infrastructure topic. He obviously thought that his EO announcement would garner so much praise and he was caught completely out of his depth by the actual line of questioning he faced - which resulting in some serious personal truths coming out, some disgusting ego fellating (trying to turn a woman's death into a nice letter about him), and this hilarious blunder about permits.

It is even more funny given that he opened his little talk about how burdensome government approval processes are and how he should be praised for just cutting those processes down to make it easy to get approval. Never mind that protesters don't actually need a permit in the first place... A shocking lack of process understanding or personal awareness and no cohesion in his thought process over even a short period of time. Frightening.

At one point, the president appeared to refer to a march the night before the death at the main rally.“There were people in that rally, and I looked the night before,” he said. “If you look, they were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee.”

On Friday night, about 250 white nationalists carrying torches marched and chanted anti-Semitic slogans

That juxtaposition

Top Bottom