• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Nolan going for that Oscar. Still think the release date is weird, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

E-phonk

Banned
There was a casting call posted for a lot of extra's in a "realistic fiction project" by warner bros in Belgium today, aged 27-40.

Since Warner doesn't film a lot of movies here I suppose it's for Dunkirk. Anyway, I applied. screening/casting is apparently mid-februari

DMczaf

There was a casting call posted for a lot of extra's in a "realistic fiction project" by warner bros in Belgium today, aged 27-40.

Since Warner doesn't film a lot of movies here I suppose it's for Dunkirk. Anyway, I applied. screening/casting is apparently mid-februari

It's Batman 4.

You got it.

Great, say what you will about Insterstellar, but it's probably his best looking film, imo.

It looks good, but I don't think it's his best looking. That would probably be The Prestige, for me.

Still hard for me to get over the out of focus/soft shots in Interstellar. That poor AC :(

Apparently he's directing a few episodes of a Netflix series with Will Arnett.

Yeah I saw that when I looked him up after I mentioned him earlier in one of these threads. Still, quite the fall from grace in my opinion. He went from working with one of the biggest directors in Hollywood, being the DP on some of the biggest movies in Hollywood, and winning an Oscar for his work to directing a couple episodes of a Netflix series.

wallypfistergeniusv1sk1.gif

I read somewhere Nolan was pissed he bailed and that he did so to direct Transcendence instead of waiting for a proper movie.

Hoyte is an amazing dp. He doesn't make those high contrast stuff that tumblr-afficionados mistake for amazing cinematography, but he is versatile with a very natural style, even when working in a more stylized environment (like Her).

Him and Nolan are a great match.

Who's writing the script for this thing? Tell me it's not Chris.

Nolan wrote only 2 movies by himself (excluding Following). Memento and Inception. The second one he was awarded by the writer's guild of america.

Sometimes reading GAF is entering the bizarro world. Where hollywood has this amazing screenwriters hidden under the table.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
But he's written at least three drafts, right? Right?
He didn't just ask Emma right after she took an ambien and hopped into bed whether she thought it was good.

Well, usually he puts out a movie every two years. This time we have to wait like 3 years. So make of that what you will.

Nolan wrote only 2 movies by himself (excluding Following). Memento and Inception. The second one he was awarded by the writer's guild of america.

Sometimes reading GAF is entering the bizarro world. Where hollywood has this amazing screenwriters hidden under the table.

lmao why does this matter? script was very ambitious but had his usual problems. he definitely needs a partner. not his brother either I think. oh well whatever, lets get hyped. great cast in here too as usual with nolan movies.

Nolan wrote only 2 movies by himself (excluding Following). Memento and Inception.

Yes, but TDKR and Interstellar also had Nolan write the last draft by himself. He took his brother's years-old script for Interstellar and re-worked it by himself. We know TDKR ended up being a lone writing affair for Nolan. In fact, I'm quite sure he's the only one he wrote a draft of the script. Goyer had story credit and Jonah just gave Chris his thoughts. That script was a fucking mess.

The second one he was awarded by the writer's guild of america.

And now like Disco said, the times where Nolan endeavors to write by himself, we are constantly bombarded by his weaknesses as a screenwriter. The worst part is that he isn't actually a bad writer, he just has bad habits that he needs somebody to bounce off of and make him see what he's doing. When you've been in the thick of writing a script by yourself for months at a time, it's easy to lose perspective and not be able to see the forest for the trees. Having another writer come in and say 'Chris, this right here is unnecessary and kills the pacing of the thing' or 'This could remain entirely as subtext' can be hugely helpful. Nolan himself could probably see these faults in other people's screenplays. But ever since Inception, these bad habits of his keep taking the wind out of his films.

Yes, but TDKR and Interstellar also had Nolan write the last draft by himself. He took his brother's years-old script for Interstellar and re-worked it by himself. We know TDKR ended up being a lone writing affair for Nolan. In fact, I'm quite sure he's the only one he wrote a draft of the script. Goyer had story credit and Jonah just gave Chris his thoughts. That script was a fucking mess.

Most of the irks i read online about Interstellar (outside of the love dialogue) were already present in Jonah draft. You could say he should have cut them (I wouldn't agree), but he didn't write those. TDKR I have no idea who wrote what. But reading the trilogy book, no way it was a case of Jonah merely giving out his thoughts. It was not a lone writing affair at all.

And now like Disco said, the times where Nolan endeavors to write by himself, we are constantly bombarded by his weaknesses as a screenwriter. The worst part is that he isn't actually a bad writer, he just has bad habits that he needs somebody to bounce off of and make him see what he's doing. When you've been in the thick of writing a script by yourself for months at a time, it's easy to lose perspective and not be able to see the forest for the trees. Having another writer come in and say 'Chris, this right here is unnecessary and kills the pacing of the thing' or 'This could remain entirely as subtext' can be hugely helpful. Nolan himself could probably see these faults in other people's screenplays. But ever since Inception, these bad habits of his keep taking the wind out of his films.

I don't see as a general rule in his filmography that a collaborative work will help it. Just like I asked Discotheque , who are these writers working on big budget hollywood movies who write this subtext-only, no unnecessary bullshit? So we can evaluate their work.

Most of the irks i read online about Interstellar (outside of the love dialogue) were already present in Jonah draft. You could say he should have cut them (I wouldn't agree), but he didn't write those. TDKR I have no idea who wrote what. But reading the trilogy book, no way it was a case of Jonah merely giving out his thoughts. It was not a lone writing affair at all.

I don't see as a general rule in his filmography that a collaborative work will help it. Just like I asked Discotheque , who are these writers working on big budget hollywood movies who write this subtext-only, no unnecessary bullshit? So we can evaluate their work.

I'm almost certain Nolan himself explained that he wrote TDKR by himself and just got thoughts from Jonah because Jonah's schedule was crazy.

And there are plenty of good screenwriters. And you're twisting my words. Not subtext-only. Just not making things that could be left as subtext and turning them into talking points to hold the audience's hand and point out the obvious.

Tbh Wally will be perfectly fine continuing his career as a DP and is apparently a very nice guy in person.

But I still remember that interview he gave shitting on Seamus Mcgarvey's work in The Avengers when - as talented as Pfister is, he isn't half the DP Mcgarvey is, The Avengers notwithstanding. You just don't go throwing people under the bus like that.

Then there's all his obnoxiously condescending comments regarding digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom