• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
His first real chance for that Academy gold, I think. Will watch this in IMAX.

Ridley327

Nice, how was the movie?

I think it's just more the fact that this seems like a very awards-friendly topic for a film on paper. There certainly have been a fair share of WWII biopics that have faltered, though, and we don't even need to look that far into the past with Unbroken being a film where the parts were greater than the sum.

DMczaf

This poster is going up in my room

tumblr_o04k7bZQ0o1seo8n9o1_540.jpg

Is this gonna be the default thread for the movie? Time to gordon/bat/banepost. Where's Guzim? Guzim! We were in this together, then you left!

DMczaf

I'm trying to figure out if there is some twist we don't know about or if it's the teenager aspect which doesn't seem like that would inherently put kids into seats.

Nolan making his own Young Adult series.

"Can Love Bloom on the Battlefield? "

4Tran

Dunkirk may seem like an odd topic for a film, but there's a lot of interesting material surrounding the battle. For starters, there are a number of myths involved - it was a defeat that was heralded as a great victory, Guderian used it for self-promotion, and the French saw it as a betrayal. If the film is historically accurate it can do a lot to address all of these myths as well as creating a compelling narrative. It probably won't work very well as an action film though.

a916

Unless your in the Scorcese/Speilberg likes, majority of the directors would kill to have the resume that Nolan has.

I'm interested just because he's directing. On his "worst days" he gives us Interstellar (my favorite movie of 2014 lol). I'm in.

DMczaf

So Nolan got so far as to have sets being built, actors being signed on, and locations being scouted and nothing ever really "leaked" until the Mayor of Dunkirk decided to spill the beans to his local paper?

I wonder how much longer they were going to keep this project under wraps if nothing ever got out.

So Nolan got so far as to have sets being built, actors being signed on, and locations being scouted and nothing ever really "leaked" until the Mayor of Dunkirk decided to spill the beans to his local paper?

I wonder how much longer they were going to keep this project under wraps if nothing ever got out.

I don't think it's crazy to think he could get to post production on a film before announcing it with the amount of secrecy he is able to maintain for his projects.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I for one am glad Mark Rylance is finally getting some big screen roles. Tremendous stage actor, on par with DDL in terms of skills imho

Kind of crazy some don't know what Dunkirk was.

Why is that? If you're not British or a WWII enthusiast it doesn't seem likely you'd come across it. Certainly wasn't taught in the compulsory Australian history curriculum (might have been in the advanced optional stuff, idk). Hell the only reason we all know about the D-Day landings is because American movies are so pervasive. I can think of many more important events in WWII that most people don't know about.

Beefy

Why is that? If you're not British or a WWII enthusiast it doesn't seem likely you'd come across it. Certainly wasn't taught in the compulsory Australian history curriculum (might have been in the advanced optional stuff, idk). Hell the only reason we all know about the D-Day landings is because American movies are so pervasive. I can think of many more important events in WWII that most people don't know about.

Probably because in the UK school I went to(and I think it is a national thIng) we learnt about various wars and events from across the world. Not just the wars or events we were in either. It just seems weird to me the in some places they seem to only teach history from one side. In one way I guess it helps as you would know about more things, but then you wouldn't know it in as much detail as places that study less events.

Probably because in the UK school I went to(and I think it is a national thIng) we learnt about various wars from across the world. Not just the wars we were in either. It just seems weird to me the in some places they seem to only teach history from one side.

We cover world events too, but there is a lot to cover. Dunkirk just isn't very important on the scale of thousands of years of history to get through to a non-British country - it's something that has significance specifically in the study of WWII, but WWII itself is only a small subset of a small subset of world history. It might have got a short mention in a history textbook we had or something, but there was definitely not a lesson dedicated to it at the compulsory level. You had options to study Modern World History in late high school, which covered the world wars in more depth, it probably got mentioned then, but I wouldn't be shocked to discover that 2/3 of Australians don't know what the significance of Dunkirk was.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wasn't that early report from the mayor claiming that Jonathan Nolan was on the scouting trips? Kinda funny if he was taking the time to do that since his name isn't mentioned in the press releases. I guess he's just vacationing and helping out, avoiding Westworld for a bit.

DMczaf

Wasn't that early report from the mayor claiming that Jonathan Nolan was on the scouting trips? Kinda funny if he was taking the time to do that since his name isn't mentioned in the press releases. I guess he's just vacationing and helping out, avoiding Westworld for a bit.

Actually, he was there.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/d...an-posera-ses-cameras-pour-ia17b47588n3239911

Completely incognito during his recent visits to Dunkirk with his brother Jonathan, he absorbed the territory, its past and the consequences of the conflict. Reassured by the welcome given by the port and the city, he has been sufficiently filled to address, following a shooting authorization request.

Beefy

We cover world events too, but there is a lot to cover. Dunkirk just isn't very important on the scale of thousands of years of history to get through to a non-British country - it's something that has significance specifically in the study of WWII, but WWII itself is only a small subset of a small subset of world history. It might have got a short mention in a history textbook we had or something, but there was definitely not a lesson dedicated to it at the compulsory level. You had options to study Modern World History in late high school, which covered the world wars in more depth, it probably got mentioned then, but I wouldn't be shocked to discover that 2/3 of Australians don't know what the significance of Dunkirk was.

See I learnt about Dunkirk, American Revolutionary War, Apache War, American Civil War, WW1 and 2, Korean War, Bay of Pigs, Vietnam War, Panama and Gulf War. As well as the British ones. I didn't take up history later on either. I just thought Dunkirk would have been more important then it seems.

Growing up in Aus/NZ it's kinda hard to filter any war history out beyond the usual Gallipoli noise.

Growing up in Aus/NZ it's kinda hard to filter any war history out beyond the usual Gallipoli noise.

One of my favorite games is asking people if they know a) What the name of the country it took place in was and b) Which continent it was in. For the first question it's like 25% don't know, 50% "turkey", maybe 25% or less know it was the Ottoman Empire at the time. The latter is split 50/50 on Europe/Asia.

4Tran

See I learnt about Dunkirk, American Revolutionary War, Apache War, American Civil War, WW1 and 2, Korean War, Bay of Pigs, Vietnam War, Panama and Gulf War. As well as the British ones. I didn't take up history later on either. I just thought Dunkirk would have been more important then it seems.
Dunkirk was talked up by Churchill, but it didn't make much difference in the overall war. However, it's still one of the most famous of the non-American battles in the English-speaking world so it wouldn't be surprising if a non-military buff were to know about it. That's probably why Nolan picked it for his film.

Really now. I thought its signifcance was debated among historians. There's no doubt a loss of 300,000 men would have been tremendous, but I thought the Allies already evacuated a high number of personnel before the French surrendered.

Britain historically has a small army, a core of regulars that were shipped across the Empire to prop up native commonwealth or less professional/garrison troops. And at the onset of fighting, those regulars made up the BEF who'd later go on to shore up the other theater's later in the war.

It would have been a totally different war (and i'd happily argue a different outcome) if those men were lost at Dunkirk.

Guzim

Nolan looks like an an older maturer leo di caprio

Which means he ll probably never win an oscar lmao

I always thought it was Nolan in this Inception poster before it came out. Very similar hairstyles.

inception-poster.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/executive-roundtable-6-studio-heads-748102

HORN By the way, I once told Chris [Nolan] that he could double for Leo DiCaprio in Inception because he looks enough like him. So that can be a whole new career for him. (Laughs.)

TSUJIHARA And a new best actor category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom