• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My first gut reaction is that this is unappealing.

Curious to see how it turns out.

everyone else is a fucking idiot then.

do you americans really not know about dunkirk? utterly embarrassing.

fuck me, this thread.

sad state of affairs. don't know about one of the most significant events in world war two, but can list every store that is quick to stock limited edition amiibos within a ten mile radius.

i think you'd have to start further back than that. most of them probably barely aware that there was a world war before the second one and just think that it's like star wars episode iv and they haven't made the prequel yet.

utterly cringe-worthy shit. it's not that they're dumb as rocks, it's that they beat their chest and shout about it.

Struggle sandwiches make you grumpy, CONFIRMED.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Ehh is the evacuation of Dunkirk that interesting
Depending on how they focus the picture, it's actually very interesting. The lead up to the evacuation was a series of landslide victories that nearly had the Axis winning WWII then and there. The aftermath of the Dunkirk evacuation handed the Axis forces over 80,000 vehicles and literally thousands of tonnes of weapons and munitions, ready to be turned against the people who had abandoned them. Of course, I doubt we'll see anything other than a lopsided view of how good the evacuation was. I suspect it'll be closer to something like 'The Man Who Never Was', and be a logistical recreation featuring Nolan's trademark emotional disconnect.

orochi91

WW2? That's extremely disappointing.

He should be pumping out novel sci-fi films or other high-concept stuff, not retreading well worn genres.

Seriously, WW2 as a major blockbuster setting just isn't appealing whatsoever, unless it takes a dark comedy route like Inglorious Basterds.

hal9001

Banned
Whats the twist?

"We need to get off this destroyer. I have to go back for her."

"An evacuation within an evacuation? You're insane! That's impossible!"

"No. It's necessary."

Nah it will probably be some soldier with a bizarre psychological condition that he can use to his advantage in the field. Or a German soldier with dual personality that at day works for the Nazis and at Night helps the allies.

jurgen

Marion Cotillard has to be in this.

Or Lea Seydoux.

Cotillard, Caine, and Hardy are safe bets for sure.

I think the biggest question that probably no one is asking right now is who's handling cinematography? Is he keeping Hoytema around from Interstellar or is he going to go back to Pfister?

the last remnants of the French army held off the entire german army while the english ran away. have some fucking respect.

Not to mention over 100,000 French soldiers too!

There are indications that some sort of negotiated peace may have happened between Britain and Germany if the evacuation failed (which much of the General Staff expected at the time), but as others have mentioned, historians debate the significance of the event.

Germany was certainly not anywhere near prepared for an invasion of Britain in any case, but Britain losing the bulk of it's trained army outside of India and the Middle-East to a lesser extent would have shaken the government and the public to it's core.

Depending on how they focus the picture, it's actually very interesting. The lead up to the evacuation was a series of landslide victories that nearly had the Axis winning WWII then and there. The aftermath of the Dunkirk evacuation handed the Axis forces over 80,000 vehicles and literally thousands of tonnes of weapons and munitions, ready to be turned against the people who had abandoned them. Of course, I doubt we'll see anything other than a lopsided view of how good the evacuation was. I suspect it'll be closer to something like 'The Man Who Never Was', and be a logistical recreation featuring Nolan's trademark emotional disconnect.

I can pretty much guarantee that the film will play into all of the British exaggerations about how much of a war turning victory it was. Also probably include every German myth under the sun about how all of the Generals wanted to crush the British instantly and they would have won the war if only bad guy Hitler hadn't personally intervened to cock block their brilliance and perfect judgement.

I can pretty much guarantee that the film will play into all of the British exaggerations about how much of a war turning victory it was. Also probably include every German myth under the sun about how all of the Generals wanted to crush the British instantly and they would have won the war if only bad guy Hitler hadn't personally intervened to cock block their brilliance and perfect judgement.

The Battle of Britain in the air is talked about as the war turning victory. This is when Churchill his does his full on St Crispin's Day act. Dunkirk is only seen as the end point of a horrible defeat. The propaganda is that it is spun as the end of the defeat and immediately after it Britain started to plan to not lose any more. Dunkirk is basically the same movie as Titanic except people get onto boats instead of fall off them.

Sibylus

Banned
It's probably one of the safest WWII wartime movie settings you can go for in the west, but I'm intrigued by what Nolan could do with it. Blow the wheels off and go with an unusual structure/presentation/point of view?

funkypie

Banned
Thread is about the announcement of the movie.

I said I don't know how to feel about it because I had wanted Nolan to do a movie with a more diverse cast.

My post was just a response to the announcement in the OP?

Because you're complaining about diversity before the cast is even announced and it is set in ww2 Europe. How you worded it as well, white people the movie, then backtracked with some half assed explanation.

Point being it was ridiculous to begin with.

Surprised the part about Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, and Mark Rylance being in talks to join the movie were left out of the OP.

Based Nolan, he claps his hands and gets who he wants. I've heard great things about Rylance in Bridge of Spies, and Hardy and Branagh are good.

Please Zimmer, go back to your thin red line soundtrack for 'inspiration'

jey_16

Banned
I didn't realise that Interstellar made $675m, for an original non-action SciFilm, thats a great number. No wonder WB will give him whatever he wants

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didn't realise that Interstellar made $675m, for an original non-action SciFilm, thats a great number. No wonder WB will give him whatever he wants

That means nolan got $67.5 million from the box office revenue alone. goddamn.

movie's gonna flop though because of another freaking spiderman reboot and pitch perfect 3. I suspect they'll move the film to the fall, where it makes more sense.

JaggedSac

Don't know how I feel about this

Not gonna lie first thought I got from this was "White people the movie: War time"

Maybe Nolan can surprise me with a diverse cast somehow even though it is set in 1940s Europe...

It's about the evacuation of Dunkirk...

Scotch

Don't know how I feel about this

Not gonna lie first thought I got from this was "White people the movie: War time"

Maybe Nolan can surprise me with a diverse cast somehow even though it is set in 1940s Europe...
This post is embarrassing.

jerry113

Banned
Yeah I know, I think people might be misconstruing my post as something like "fuck white people" when in reality I just wanted a more diverse cast from Nolan, and that will be pretty difficult to do in a movie set in 1940's Europe for obvious reasons.

Still going to watch it most likely.

You know what's a good opportunity to represent an ethnically underrepresented group of people during WW2? A movie about the 442nd infantry regiment, composed entirely of Japanese Americans. They are the most decorated military unit in the history of the USA. They fought in Europe.

Most of them even volunteered to service the USA despite how they and their families were put into internment camps at the time. Yet hollywood hasn't made a movie about them yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

1280px-442_regimental_combat_team.jpg

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
What if the woman back home was dead the whole time?

Or was she?

dun dun duuun

This will be great, I doubt it will just be a WW2 flick. It's Nolan, there is probably more to it.

WWII movie ? Man I don't know, never dug these too much... Fury was cool but that's the kind of movie you need to cooldown from I feel.

hope he's looking at french unknowns (who can speak english). nobody wants tye sheridan, the kid from interstellar etc. trying french accents....scust.

did y'all watch The Walk? JGL sounded hilarious.

Great to see Nolan tackle something different. Sounds like a film with potential for stunning cinematography...

I did see the old Dunkirk film but I can't really remember much about it tbh.

Well as most people know how this goes, maybe Nolan can focus on visual storytelling over repeatedly explaining the plot in dialogue.

That'd be nice.

fuck me, this thread.

sad state of affairs. don't know about one of the most significant events in world war two, but can list every store that is quick to stock limited edition amiibos within a ten mile radius.
It's fucking shameful, isn't it?!

fuck me, this thread.

Yeah, it's almost as if different people value different things

harSon

Banned
hope he's looking at french unknowns (who can speak english). nobody wants tye sheridan, the kid from interstellar etc. trying french accents....scust.

did y'all watch The Walk? JGL sounded hilarious.

You're going to get British and Australian actors/actresses and you're going to like it, like every other film these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom