• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daingurse

image.png

I'm fucking down.

The Beard

I can't find the link but there was an article were somone reviewed this scene and all the oddities from a well shot action scene perspective, it looked pretty bad for Nolan. It was good in some areas but even before that article, I notice how creaky and lacking his action scenes are. He is careless and doesn't actually think them through properly and while you may not notice or mind the first time, they do fall apart easily. The actors can be enough of a good distraction but not always.

EDIT

http://www.openculture.com/2011/12/anatomy_of_a_flawed_action_scene.html

Found it.

In real time, that scene plays out just fine to me. When you dissect it, there are some issues, but overall it was an amazing sequence IMO. Shooting that scene in a tunnel like that and keeping cuts to a minimum has got to be a nightmare.

WW2? That's extremely disappointing.

He should be pumping out novel sci-fi films or other high-concept stuff, not retreading well worn genres.

Seriously, WW2 as a major blockbuster setting just isn't appealing whatsoever, unless it takes a dark comedy route like Inglorious Basterds.

Mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Come And See, breh.

5188834705_b3e8df1537.jpg

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Awesomesauce. I'm looking forward to this and My Honor Was Loyalty.

Chaeotic

Neo Member
Pickle my onion and spank my mother - Nolan doing a WW2 epic, and in 65mm never the less. I never though this glorious day would come - now let the inevitable forum bashing netwide ensue!

For better or worse, Nolan seems to be a director people either love or despise for his pretentiousness, something as a rabid fan of his I can understand. This news seems a little left field though, almost like he's trying to prop himself into the same field as Spielberg and co. A war epic, releasing in summer, and after a run of successful scifi flicks? Sign me up for whatever the man directs, does seem a little... Weird, though.

BUT FOR BABY CHRIST CHRIS, LET JONATHON DO THE SCRIPT AND LEAVE IT. LEAVE IT, LEAVE IT, LEAVE IT. I'm still filthy about what Interstellar could have been.

You're going to get British and Australian actors/actresses and you're going to like it, like every other film these days.

eh I can live with that if they don't attempt an accent at least. I'll go with French people with "neutral British" (lol) accents over a bunch of bad pepe le pew imitations.

but yeah for sure the ideal is actual French people...which will never happen.

Blader

Pickle my onion and spank my mother - Nolan doing a WW2 epic, and in 65mm never the less. I never though this glorious day would come - now let the inevitable forum bashing netwide ensue!

For better or worse, Nolan seems to be a director people either love or despise for his pretentiousness, something as a rabid fan of his I can understand. This news seems a little left field though, almost like he's trying to prop himself into the same field as Spielberg and co. A war epic, releasing in summer, and after a run of successful scifi flicks? Sign me up for whatever the man directs, does seem a little... Weird, though.

BUT FOR BABY CHRIST CHRIS, LET JONATHON DO THE SCRIPT AND LEAVE IT. LEAVE IT, LEAVE IT, LEAVE IT. I'm still filthy about what Interstellar could have been.

Chris has already written/co-written the script. He has a hand in writing every script he does.

effzee

Oh boy I bet there is talking and dialogue in this movie! Its going to be all talk talk talk monologue theme talk talk talk!

And it will be cold and lacking emotion!

Also Zimmer sucks!

Exodust

Banned
A little bit disappointed as I wanted something more interesting out of Nolan than a WW2 movie. Not sure he should do a war flick when his action directing isn't the best(he's gotten much better with each movie he comes out with in that department, though).

At the end of the day it's a new Nolan movie, and I'm sure it'll be good. I'll keep my eye on news for it and be there in theaters to see it.

I think the biggest question that probably no one is asking right now is who's handling cinematography? Is he keeping Hoytema around from Interstellar or is he going to go back to Pfister?

It's probably Hoytema. Pfister is not going back to DP, and Hoytema has Imax experience which seems like a big deal.

E-phonk

Banned
Looking forward. Good that he doesn't do the obvious that people would expect from nolan.
Also, it doesn't have to be an action movie, Duinkerke wasn't all about big war battles but about hope/despair and leaving everything behind.

Also it lends itself to some great visual shots.

Chichikov

Time for some tumblr posters!

tumblr_o03aec0c481qheh20o1_1280.jpg
LOL, the Hebrew text is backwards (it reads Krikdun).
Edit, the arabic too, and it's all terminal letters for some reason.

Also, I didn't read the entire thread, was it already discussed how Dunkirk was an embarrassing defeat that only Churchill's bullshit propaganda made it seem like moment that the British should be proud of?

Oh no, not another WWII film. Because summer cinema should totally belong to Comicbookman 17, Marvel vs. DC Bros 5, Generic CGI Reboot 3D and other captivatingly fresh ideas, right?

I welcome a bit of diversity to the summer offerings.

holy shit how do i not know about that movie, will watch ASAP. love sly, caine and sydow. and it's cool that they got pele in it too.

EGM1966

Net resting choice. Will watch assuming it's good. Dunkirk is interesting challenge to portray.

I shudder to think how many don't even know what the hell the significance of the event is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom