• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

So many IMAX showings. $$$$$$$

Guzim and I on July 21

tumblr_ohs12fjyXz1rmwse1o2_500.gif

Jigolo

I hope my theater brings back the 15/70 imax mm projector for this. It's getting close and nothing has been said by them

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm worried about seeing this in IMAX here in Dallas, I've now seen 2 films at our supposedly "real" IMAX, and booth were juddery, grainy messes. True white looked dingy and flickered, blacks were not deep, and overal the clarity suffered tremendously from the juddering and flickering. Going to a Dolby atmos theater completely blew away the quality of the IMAX films I saw in every regard.

The films we watched were Interstellar and dark knight rises at this theater: https://www.imax.com/theatres/cinemark-17-imax

The manager even came out before Interstellar and told the audience how proud he was to have a true IMAX theater and this was how Interstellar was meant to be seen. It was a pretty bad experience. Saw it again in another theater later and it was wonderfully crips and clear. I guess it's just a bad IMAX.

I'm worried about seeing this in IMAX here in Dallas, I've now seen 2 films at our supposedly "real" IMAX, and booth were juddery, grainy messes. True white looked dingy and flickered, blacks were not deep, and overal the clarity suffered tremendously from the juddering and flickering. Going to a Dolby atmos theater completely blew away the quality of the IMAX films I saw in every regard.

The films we watched were Interstellar and dark knight rises at this theater: https://www.imax.com/theatres/cinemark-17-imax

The manager even came out before Interstellar and told the audience how proud he was to have a true IMAX theater and this was how Interstellar was meant to be seen. It was a pretty bad experience. Saw it again in another theater later and it was wonderfully crips and clear. I guess it's just a bad IMAX.
DFW also, in all honesty I feel like the only time it felt like IMAX at that theater was wayyyyy back when I saw TDK there, everything since has felt subpar like you said. For the most part if I want the IMAX experience here that I know will deliver I go to the Fort Worth science museum. The only downside of course being that the screen isn't just gigantic but it's also a dome but you get used to it a few minutes into the film.

Would not be surprised if this is Nolan's most acclaimed film since Inception.

Totally agree, I think this movie is going to play like Gravity. It's just going to be a tense, tight and thrilling little barn-burner of a movie. People are really going to be surprised even though they shouldn't be, it's fucking Nolan. Nolan is going to take IMAX filmmaking to the next level with Dunkirk and it's going to blow people's goddamn minds!

Ashhong

I have absolutely faith in Nolan and will be there day one for this, but man the trailers do absolutely nothing for me. Saw it again before WW and it just feels so poorly edited.

That's a great runtime. All this talk about him aiming for a less exposition heavy script than his last bunch and leaner pacing makes me have faith that this might just be in the discussion for Nolan's best.

I have absolutely faith in Nolan and will be there day one for this, but man the trailers do absolutely nothing for me. Saw it again before WW and it just feels so poorly edited.

go in IMAX if you can, I was mixed on the trailers too but the prologue in IMAX sold it for me as one of the best movies of the year

Edit: "as what could amount to" i mean haha

The newest trailer was the first thing I've seen on the movie that remotely interested me. I love Nolan's other films, so hopefully this one's also good. I've just not really been grabbed by any of the previous marketing.

Trailer attached to Wonder Woman was the first thing I saw for the movie. Was staying on blackout to avoid having any expectations.

It didn't seem like that great of a trailer.

I think they are trying to save a lot especially with short it is. This is probably going to be such a tense movie from start to finish. I'm excited

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
Man fuck whoever thought it was a great idea to remove the 1570 projector in Houston for 4k digital bullshit. at least switch it to laser already so we can at least see 1:43:1 again. God damn what's taking IMAX so long to roll laser out in previous 1570 theaters? AMC had like 20 dolby cinema theaters a year ago...and they're at 74 now with 19 coming soon.

Roge_NES

Man fuck whoever thought it was a great idea to remove the 1570 projector in Houston for 4k digital bullshit. at least switch it to laser already so we can at least see 1:43:1 again. God damn what's taking IMAX so long to roll laser out in previous 1570 theaters? AMC had like 20 dolby cinema theaters a year ago...and they're at 74 now with 19 coming soon.

As someone who also lives in Houston I totally agree with you, the best IMAX screen in the city is at the "Edwards Houston Marq'e Stadium 23 & IMAX" but they also got rid of film projectors years ago.

Trailer attached to Wonder Woman was the first thing I saw for the movie. Was staying on blackout to avoid having any expectations.

It didn't seem like that great of a trailer.

Which trailer was it? The first two really sucked, but his newest one that starts off saying that it was a "great military disaster" is absolutely well-made and powerful. I haven't seen WW yet, so I hope his newest one is used.

Which trailer was it? The first two really sucked, but his newest one that starts off saying that it was a "great military disaster" is absolutely well-made and powerful. I haven't seen WW yet, so I hope his newest one is used.

Not sure which one it was. Basically it had slow narration of the fight on the beaches speech as footage from the movie was shown. There was a ship getting machine gunned by German planes I think.

As someone who also lives in Houston I totally agree with you, the best IMAX screen in the city is at the "Edwards Houston Marq'e Stadium 23 & IMAX" but they also got rid of film projectors years ago.

My really poor solution when I was in Houston for Interstellar was....drive to Austin.

The latest trailer I saw on tv did look amazing. I remain sceptical though. Nolan is shit at action and the trailer is portraying the film as grim and dark. Yet it's a 12a/pg13 bullshit.

Or is it going to be some tragic love story with exposition. Because we haven't had enough love stories set in ww2.

So I i saw Wonder Woman in IMAX and they had an extended preview of Dunkirk.

I have not liked the trailers at all so far but that preview was amazing. Movie looks so enthralling and the shots as well as sound seem impeccable.

DMczaf

https://americancinemaeditors.org/dunkirk/

On the face of it this would seem the most conventional of the director’s projects to date, but it is told using a complex structure that mixes the time-scales of different participants. Dunkirk was a week-long experience for the soldiers stuck on the beach, a 24-hour event for those traveling to rescue them over the water and a mere one-hour flight from the south of England for British fighter pilots.

Neither is the film exposition heavy. “This is a very different kind of war movie. It’s more of a suspense film in that it is predominantly a story of survival.”

“Chris spoke about this project to me while I was working on Spectre,” says Smith. “When we started talking about it in earnest the film was already greenlit by Warner Bros. I knew of the events in 1940 but I didn’t know them in great detail and once I read the script (by Christopher Nolan) I realized this was one of the more remarkable and stirring stories of the war.” He adds, “Christopher was looking for a lot of emotion to come across in the story. The emotion comes from scenes of civilians performing extraordinary acts of courage in coming to the aid of the armed forces, without delay and without really stopping to contemplate the danger to them. “In a way, the story transcends any particular country or flag since we can all empathize and feel patriotic toward the sense of fellow countryfolk coming to our rescue.

Nolan is renowned for favoring film origination and with Dunkirk he pushed this even further. Having shot sequences of his previous films including Interstellar on Imax 70mm, this time the entire film was shot on 65mm negative. Seventy percent of the film was shot on Imax which is 65mm 15 perf (1.43:1). The rest was shot on 65mm 5 perf (2.2:1) on Panavision cameras. (The negative is 65mm. The print is 70mm.) “The Imax cameras give you more real estate which equates to the highest resolution for a film shoot,” says Smith. “Since the 5-perf cameras are quieter than the Imax cameras we used those to shoot the dialogue scenes.”

Traveling with editorial during principal photography was a 70mm projector on which Smith and Nolan could view dailies in 70mm 5 perf. “This was glorious,” says Smith. “Most people don’t even get to watch dailies any more let alone have them projected.” Arguably the most challenging sequences for Smith and the crew were the aerial dogfights between Spitfires and the German Messerschmitts. “For all the planning you are at the mercy of the weather and what you can get on that day,” says Smith. “You have to cut as you shoot to make sure you have everything you need to tell the story. Since Dunkirk is being narrated visually rather than by heavy dialogue or voiceover, the aerial sequences had to push the narrative forward in an exciting and coherent way.”

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Maybe this sounds really, really silly; but I'm getting a lot of "The Raid" vibes from discussions/impressions on its lack of exposition, brisk pacing, singular conflict, and short run time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom