• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ah OK; the IMAX in Seattle is definitely a legit one, don't think there's any LieMax.

Between the IMAX at the Seattle Center : https://www.geekwire.com/2015/photos-inside-one-of-the-worlds-most-advanced-imax-movie-theaters/

And Cinerama : https://www.cinerama.com/Technology.aspx

I don't think it can get much better lol. Playing with Paul Allen's toys; I do wonder if Cinerama is even profitable. They literally close for an entire day to switch to their old school "Cinerama" screen for old movie marathons.

I'm almost positive the Cinerama in a Seattle has to be net loss but Paul Allen can easily float whatever loss and write it off Im sure

Lkr

so i have a choice at my regal theater between a LIEMAX experience and a 70mm experience. which should i go to?
Liemax is $19.15/ticket
70mm is $11.70/ticket

i'm assuming based on price alone the liemax isn't worth ~$8 more?

Sorry wats the question? The available what?

img_6031nruq8.png

At Universal Citywalk

HariKari

Saw the prologue in legit IMAX, entire theater shook when the Spitfires were on the screen. It was amazing. I do hope they show all facets of the operation, some of which don't reflect well on British command or the soldiers. I will also be really disappointed if they don't show the role the French played in buying time. Can't wait.

Rootbeer

Banned
I am beyond excited for this to FINALLY come out so I can stop having to endure all the previews at every. single. screening. I attend for other films. Unless it's a kids film, it's been unavoidable for months upon months. Theaters just won't stop trying to push this film with several minutes of previews attached to everything it feels like.

I'll be seeing it, just can't stand how it's being shoved down my throat constantly. Never seen the like.

Also glad that embargo is lifting soon though I doubt we'll be seeing too many hot takes. Nolan always has it in the bag.

effzee

Saw the prologue in legit IMAX, entire theater shook when the Spitfires were on the screen. It was amazing. I do hope they show all facets of the operation, some of which don't reflect well on British command or the soldiers. I will also be really disappointed if they don't show the role the French played in buying time. Can't wait.

I doubt you will see the French side or even much if the generals, politics, and events leading up to it in the background.

From that playboy Nolan interview, he seems to be leaving all that out. Short run time and the focus seems to be just on the ppl who survived the ordeal.

Daft_Cat

I have a feeling this movie will sweep the oscars.

This is oscar bait 101.

Really? It's quite short, with minimal dialogue and almost constant action.

I could see it being nominated, but aside from the World War 2 setting, it's about as Oscar-baity as Mad Max was.

I could see it being nominated, but aside from the World War 2 setting, it's about as Oscar-baity as Mad Max was.

It's also being released in July, so clearly WB doesn't think it has super potential at the Oscar either.

Pachimari

This movie have minimal dialogue? Wow that would be fantastic if it holds true. My old man wouldn't have to keep up with subtitles then.

Mad Max got nominated for Best Picture AND Best Director though... With a subject material and setting that is way less appealing to the academy than WWII.

He'll make a Bond when they want to reinvent the series. He won't do a "continuation". He's pretty clear about it in the playboy interview.

Daft_Cat

Mad Max got nominated for Best Picture AND Best Director though... With a subject material and setting that is way less appealing to the academy than WWII.

Right, I'm sure it will get nominated if the quality is up to par.

I'm just objecting to the idea that it's Oscar-bait. It isn't.

Blader

Actually, there's a good chance he will. He emphatically reaffirmed his desire to direct a Bond flick as recently as this month's interview with Playboy. I imagine it will be whenever they cast a new actor in the part.

I'd be surprised if he never did one (well, not if timing didn't work out or something, but if he ever turned down the opportunity or Broccoli and Wilson turned him down). I know the lack of creative control relative to all of his films for WB gets brought up as a major reason why he wouldn't want to do Bond, but given that they've apparently talked to each about the idea a few times over the years, I can't imagine that hasn't come up in some capacity -- or at the very least, that Nolan wouldn't already know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom