• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola Zero To Be Replaced With Zero Sugar In U.S.

Diet Dr Pepper is so gross to me. It tastes hollow... Like the carbonation is so extreme you're drinking pure bubbles. Dr Pepper Ten is fantastic, but there's only one Publix supermarket near me that stocks it. Nobody else does. The whole 'Ten' line is really good.

I can agree on the carbonation, but it's better than the alternative.

Amory

I don't understand.

Coke Zero is good. Why are you fucking with Coke Zero?

Replace that stupid Coke Life with this.

Engell

hehe nice one coca cola
PEPSI-lata-33-zero-600x600.jpg

Coke Zero Sugar has taken over my life lately. Not sure how it compares to Zero since I never drank the stuff back when they sold it here, but Zero Sugar is the only diet soda I have ever tasted that doesn't have an overpowering artificial sweetener taste. It's mostly an after taste that I got used to pretty fast.

Locke562

Coke Life makes no sense to me. It has sugar so it's still terrible for you and then it adds other sweeteners for no good reason. (Seriously the low carb Coke that just reduced the sugar by half tastes exactly the same so what the fuck does the Stevia even add?)

The stevia adds back the sweetness lost by removing half the sugar. It's still bad for you, but only "half" as bad. If everyone that was a heavy soda drinker switched to sodas like that it would probably cut the risk of diabetes in that population by a decent amount. It would probably help with obesity as well (across population).

rjinaz

I drink a soda a day. Coke Zero's always been kinda eh for me—Coke Life is where it's at. If I have to drink diet, it's Diet Dr. Pepper.

PDP_CokeLife_12.png

I'm a huge fan of Stevia, but this drink is pretty much pointless. You'd do just as well adding a splash of water to your coke. There is still way too much sugar.

What I'd love to see is stevia versions of their citrus drinks like Mountain Dew and Sprite. 75-100% stevia.

PerkeyMan

I don't understand.

Coke Zero is good. Why are you fucking with Coke Zero?

Replace that stupid Coke Life with this.

It's a PR stunt. They know the power of the 'sugar-is-poison/ a drug'-movement so they want to make sure everyone knows it doesn't contain sugar. Personally I don't feel any difference in flavor.

DJ_Lae

They changed the name in Canada back in February, but kept the Coke Zero recipe.

So I guess Canada becomes a source for Coke Zero if they pull it from US shelves?

Yeah, I noticed this as well as my wife drinks it - tastes the same, just with uglier packaging.

Coke's reasoning for it is amusing, too, as apparently people need things completely spelled out for them:

The decision to relaunch Coca-Cola Zero Sugar came after surveys from last year revealed that only one in ten Canadians were aware that Coca-Cola Zero contained zero sugar.

Had this Coke Zero Sugar while on a flight, and I couldn't really taste any difference. It'll basically be just a slight brand change to emphasize no sugar, that's all. I wish they'd just bring over Coke Plus though.

rjinaz

You get a bunch of overwrought hand wringers with no evidence telling you you're killing yourself. Other than that, it's perfectly fine.

Coke Life makes no sense to me. It has sugar so it's still terrible for you and then it adds other sweeteners for no good reason. (Seriously the low carb Coke that just reduced the sugar by half tastes exactly the same so what the fuck does the Stevia even add?)

A natural sweetener as opposed to an artificial one. Artificial sweeteners have a negative effect on me that stevia does not.

I agree though, the drink makes no sense to me. I mean I guess if you are a heavy coke drinker than hey saving 30 calories or whatever is better than nothing. And yes it does taste a lot like regular, because it mostly IS. But it still has a diet taste so I doubt many heavy coke drinkers would touch it.

In Mexico Coca Cola Zero was phased out last year in favor of the new Coca Cola Sin Azucar. I guess Coca Cola Mexico is still best Coca Cola.

Conoce-todo-sobre-la-campa%C3%B1a-de-Coca-Cola-Sin-Az%C3%BAcar-4.png

hidys

In Australia it is now called Coca Cola No Sugar which sucks that I can't just order a 'coke zero' anymore.

In fairness it does taste better.

Compsiox

Banned
I drink a soda a day. Coke Zero's always been kinda eh for me—Coke Life is where it's at. If I have to drink diet, it's Diet Dr. Pepper.

PDP_CokeLife_12.png

The stevia used in Coke Life goes through a very long process involving many chemicals.

I'd try some organic stuff if you can afford it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The stevia adds back the sweetness lost by removing half the sugar. It's still bad for you, but only "half" as bad. If everyone that was a heavy soda drinker switched to sodas like that it would probably cut the risk of diabetes in that population by a decent amount. It would probably help with obesity as well (across population).

It doesn't add the sweetness back though. It tastes exactly like the low carb formulation that simply halved the sugar.

Will certainly try this when it's released. Haven't had regular soda in over 5 years and just the occasional diet soda. Out of Diet coke, Diet Pepsi (Aspartame Free version) and Coke Zero, Coke Zero tastes the most like a diet soda and was very off putting to me. Diet coke I don't hate but I don't care for much either because it tastes watered down to me. Lastly Diet Pepsi is my usual go to as it tastes pretty much identical to regular cola and nothing like a diet soda to me and has a stronger kick to it compared with Diet Coke.

Alienfan

We've had this stuff in New Zealand for a while, it tastes great, almost impossible to tell the difference between it and regular coke. People I know who hated Zero/Diet drink it

gaiages

Banned
So whats the catch with these zero calories/zero sugar drinks? Are artificial sweetners bad for losing weight? gaining weight?

there has to be a catch.

They have zero calories from artificial sweeteners. So yeah, they're good for people either trying to lost weight and those who don't wanna consume a lot of sugar.

The "catch" is that it will never taste like actual Coke. To me that's actually a good thing lol

Oh and you'll get a million people telling you it's worse for you than drinking normal soda with all its sugar (which as a person from a family history of diabetes is quite lol worthy), so that's a thing too.

If it's still Coke Zero Sugar Max Salt, I'll pass.

The current Coke Zero only has 40mg of salt...?

Unless you mean the new Zero Sugar formula has more sodium in it or something.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There isn't any evidence that diet soda helps with obesity.

GodofWine

Im convinced this is a temporary name change to introduce a new formula, and then it will go back to just 'Zero', because "Zero Sugar" is a really dumb name.

FWIW I just visited two countries this year that carry both Coke Zero and Coke Zero Sugar. I generally drank them interchangeably and could barely tell the difference. I might actually prefer the Zero Sugar but I didn't drink enough of it to really form a proper opinion.

Also worth noting, Philippines sold Diet Coke as Coke Light so when I saw Coke Zero Sugar I just assumed it was Coke Zero and didn't really think anything of it.

ShowDog

Why are they gonna go fuck up a product people like

There's a dozen varieties of Coke lets kill the only one that's shown any growth over the last decade

It's called Coke Zero Sugar, but it's not Coke Zero with sugar in it. It has sugar right in the name, which is supposed to convey that there's no sugar in it.

Marketing people are morons.

AndyD

aka andydumi
FWIW I just visited two countries this year that carry both Coke Zero and Coke Zero Sugar. I generally drank them interchangeably and could barely tell the difference. I might actually prefer the Zero Sugar but I didn't drink enough of it to really form a proper opinion.

Also worth noting, Philippines sold Diet Coke as Coke Light so when I saw Coke Zero Sugar I just assumed it was Coke Zero and didn't really think anything of it.

Yep. Just came back from the UK and they were heavily promoting Zero Sugar which tasted the same.

Replicant

No Sugar feels a lot stronger as in it's more fizzy than Zero for some reason. But other than that it taste quite similar.

So whats the catch with these zero calories/zero sugar drinks? Are artificial sweetners bad for losing weight? gaining weight?

there has to be a catch.

Zero sugar stuff is horrible for you. Arguable if it's worse than sugary stuff.

It tricks your body into thinking you've ingested calories but you haven't and AFAIK causes your insulin and metabolism to go whacky.

Smack me with a biology book if wrong.

I'll drink anything sugar free. I haven't disliked any of the changes all these soda companies have done yet.

As for the fake sugar triggering insulin thing, I thought I read that was false.

Hesh

Pepsi Max and Coke Zero are the only "diet" sodas I enjoy so hopefully this new recipe doesn't ruin it for me.

Fanta Lemon Zero does a good job at not tasting like shit.

Coke Zero is pretty good too, the only problem I have is when i'm hungover and my body fights me if I don't fill it with disgustingly sweet goodness.

Matt

Zero sugar stuff is horrible for you. Arguable if it's worse than sugary stuff.

It tricks your body into thinking you've ingested calories but you haven't and AFAIK causes your insulin and metabolism to go whacky.

Smack me with a biology book if wrong.
This is wrong. All wrong.

At best, the idea that zero calorie sweeteners might cause more sugar cravings could have merit. But then again the problem would come from the other real sugar you consume in response, not the original sweeteners.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Caffeine Free version or I'll riot

I drink the shit out of Caffeine Free Coke Zero and I can't be the only one since it's always fucking sold out everywhere.

Had this Coke Zero Sugar while on a flight, and I couldn't really taste any difference. It'll basically be just a slight brand change to emphasize no sugar, that's all. I wish they'd just bring over Coke Plus though.
Some places in the US have it. I remember stocking it in VA a few years back.

Top Bottom