• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola Zero To Be Replaced With Zero Sugar In U.S.

What do you mean with "that's been rolled out around the world"?
Germany still have Coke Zero, which I love, there is no replacement here yet.

Huh, curious, I thought it had already been replaced in the US?

In Germany Coca-Cola replaced the product more than half a year ago, at least according to a newspaper article. My gf and I never noticed any change and it usually is our favourite drink when we go out for dinner. To be fair, the label hasn't changed much here in Germany, it basically looks the same as before, it just doesn't say "Zero" anymore, but "Zero Sugar".

?

wetwired

If it's anything like "No Sugar" Coke which replaced Coke Zero here in Australia about a month ago, you have nothing to fear, it's far superior to Coke Zero

coca-cola-zero-sugar-family.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
As others have said had it for months in the UK. It's better than the original Coke Zero, but the aftertaste is still nasty to me.

Classic Coke for life even if it kills me.

If it hasn't been stated strongly enough already - Coke Zero and this 'new' Zero Sugar is almost completely the same stuff. The taste variance is so incredibly minor (especially if cold) that you would not notice.

It's no accident that the labelling is almost exactly the same as Coke Zero.

I had had a LOT of Zero after it was introduced. Here in Canada in my local pizza place, it was just suddenly replaced. Because the label looked so similar, I didn't even notice.

I realized after a few weeks that I was drinking the Zero Sugar, and didn't skip a beat. Only reason I even really found out was a story online that mentioned the switch.

I'll second this. Drank Zero every day. Store switched over and I didn't even notice except for the new can. Maybe the new stuff is better, but I'd have to take a blind taste test to be sure.

Had it for the first time this weekend.

Tastes almost the same as Zero, but is a bit softer and sweeter, and slightly more like regular Coke. Lacks the refreshing "bite" I liked from original Zero, though.

It could be worse. Still hope they bring Zero back, even if I don't drink soda much anymore.

Just had Coca Cola Zero sugar in the unitesd states and I really enjoy zero sugar more then Coke Zero. Zero was Ultra sweet. This is smoother without the bite.

Far far superior to me.

Grug

If it's anything like "No Sugar" Coke which replaced Coke Zero here in Australia about a month ago, you have nothing to fear, it's far superior to Coke Zero.

This. As an avid Zero drinker I got sucked in to the media hysteria and thought it was the end of the world, but it turns out that No Sugar >>>>>>>> Zero.

Definitely smoother, and less chemical aftertaste.

Bought a 12 pack today, cant wait to try it. Currently averaging 3~5 regular cokes a day, so cutting that sugar out would be huge for me

DOWN

Banned
They’ve already done this in lots of countries without people saying it tastes different ( or better if anything) so I’m not worried

They’ve already done this in lots of countries without people saying it tastes different ( or better if anything) so I’m not worried

It does taste different though. It's a lot smoother and doesn't have that chemical bite and after taste. I'm actually really impressed with it.

DOWN

Banned
So whats the catch with these zero calories/zero sugar drinks? Are artificial sweetners bad for losing weight? gaining weight?

there has to be a catch.
There’s no catch according to science, though if you’re eating habits suck you should fix more than just your sugar soda habits.

All coke tastes the same to me, even Pepsi tastes like coke. Pepsi max is vile though, so is coke vanilla.

I really only drink coke as a mixer for rum though so that might be why.

Matticers

First they ruined Diet Pepsi, which wasn't all that great to begin with but they somehow made it worse. Now they'll probably ruin Coke Zero.

As long as we have Pepsi Max, we'll be okay. But that's kind of hard to find sometimes.

Steenbock

Neo Member
Coke Zero was the first diet cola that tasted more or less like the stuff I'd been drinking. It helped me wean myself off sugared drinks. Today I drink whatever diet cola is available, but I still prefer Pepsi Max and Coke Zero, since they taste closer to sugared colas.

In my opinion, Coke Zero Sugar tastes much, much closer to sugared colas than either of those. It's sweeter and smoother than Coke Zero or Pepsi Max, and the only downside is a minor, different aftertaste than what I'm used to with diet drinks.

I'm impressed, and plan to buy a case once it becomes available (I've only seen single bottles in coolers so far).

First they ruined Diet Pepsi, which wasn't all that great to begin with but they somehow made it worse. Now they'll probably ruin Coke Zero.

As long as we have Pepsi Max, we'll be okay. But that's kind of hard to find sometimes.

I agree the "new" Diet Pepsi without aspertame is god awful.

I would give Zero sugar a try I was you an hour ago and now I'm a believer. It's incredible to have a zero sugar soda without the science experiment finish.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The taste is Coca Cola so yeah. It's the finish, mouth feels and after taste that is really a game changer.

I know this all sounds weird but it's true.

Well I should clarify I meant zero and zero sugar taste almost identical. It still tastes nowhere near non diet.

This is going to sound impossible, but it both tastes the same and better.

You won't confuse it with regular Coke, but it's an improvement. Much less aftertaste.

Oh, and if anyone thinks this is Coke Zero: Sugar, you might require daily assistance with menial tasks in life.

DonShula

Man, just went to the store and didn't even check to see if they had it. I've been re-wired to skip the soda aisle most of the time.

Is it going to show up in Freestyle machines as well?

SURGEdude

This will flop (*in the US). Coke spent so much fucking money building up the Zero brand just to dump it. The only reason they still maintain dominance is because Pepsi and DP/7UP are even dumber, and their bottlers push back against their constant dumbassery.

SURGEdude

After trying enough of it:

They didn't wreck it but it's worse, and that sucks. I traded down for no reason.

I think it's a slight improvement on the flavor front, but it's absolutely hilarious to watch them flush all that marketing money on the unified Zero brand down the toilet for no reason.

I think it's a slight improvement on the flavor front, but it's absolutely hilarious to watch them flush all that marketing money on the unified Zero brand down the toilet for no reason.

It might be a matter of drinking Coke Zero and not liking change, but this new one tastes more subtle, which I'm not really looking for in my soda.

It tastes exactly like Coke Zero to me, minus the nasty bitter aftertaste. If I leave it in my mouth a bit it does start to have a hint of regular Coke, but only slightly.

I'll be interested in the Cherry and Vanilla varieties, since I vastly prefer the Zero versions of those to plain Zero anyway.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm sort of with EmCee but with a more positive anecdote. Bought a six pack thinking it was Coke Zero but my first sip made me check the bottle because I thought I had accidentally bought regular Coke.

I'm a convert.

Top Bottom