• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola Zero To Be Replaced With Zero Sugar In U.S.

Occam

Zero sugar stuff is horrible for you. Arguable if it's worse than sugary stuff.

It tricks your body into thinking you've ingested calories but you haven't and AFAIK causes your insulin and metabolism to go whacky.

Smack me with a biology book if wrong.

That seems to be nonsense, from what I've read. No proof at all.
Pseudo scientists come up with crazy stuff and jump to conclusions all the time because they have ulterior motives and crave attention. It's unfortunate that those brain-farts are hard to get rid of, eg. anti-vaccination idiocy.

Occam

Other than the packaging, was there ever a real difference between coke zero and diet coke?

Yes, Diet Coke is an insult to human taste buds and deserves to be discontinued, whereas Coke Zero Sugar tastes almost like the real thing, mabe even better because it's not as sweet.

Just drink La Croix ya goofs

Bruleforyourhealth.jpg

kharma45

It tricks your body into thinking you've ingested calories but you haven't and AFAIK causes your insulin and metabolism to go whacky.

It's worrying people think this is true.

Whacky. That a technical term?

FyreWulff

Other than the packaging, was there ever a real difference between coke zero and diet coke?

I always thought this was a Simpson's image, due to the yellow hands. As it turns out, this screen is actually from SouthPark!

themoreyouknow.jpg

Diet Coke is basically an entire unrelated soda formula that was given the Coke branding.

slit

Where is the book because you are wrong.

And on top of that, 100mg of caffeine boosts fat burning by about 4% for a few hours. And yet the fact remains that the consumption of diet soda isn't associated with weight loss.

What do you mean "associated with"? It can in so far as its caloric intake is negligible.

That packaging is awesome! Can't wait to find this stuff and try it! Many reports of it being at Walmart already, but I suppose that depends on the local bottling plant having it too.

ViciousDS

Banned
Does this mean Coke Zero is being removed? I'm somewhat confused by the way they are marketing this

Because Coke Zero in the states......is the best coke

The Giant

Banned
In Australia it is now called Coca Cola No Sugar which sucks that I can't just order a 'coke zero' anymore.

In fairness it does taste better.

Apparently there's a rumour that Woolies will continue stocking coke zero, instead of coke no sugar.

Matt

In theory, it helps. In practice, it doesn't make difference, or makes it worse. People that use artificial sweeteners on the reg are fatter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...iated-with-weight-gain-new-research-suggests/
That article even says they can't draw any conclusions. If people drink Diet soda and therefore think that gives them the ability to splurge elsewhere, than that elsewhere is the problem.

There is no research that shows Diet soda, on its own, is bad for you (outside of dental health that all soda effects).

One fascinating thing about coke zero is that it was created exclusively to market towards (younger) men, as men didn't want to buy drinks called diet as it was felt that was for women. Not that long ago either, 2005 although they spent years working on the product.

Its kinda funny because nowadays I don't think any guy really cares whether he is drinking a diet coke or coke zero, and most probably don't really understand why there are two essentially identical products.

Neith

Banned
Gross. I only drink soda in very small amounts. And when I do it isn't this crap. All the acidic stuff in these will rot your mouth and body.

Mi goreng

idk what to do now that coke zero is gone. this new coke no sugar tastes even less sweet to me. i'm all about cans and i can't find zero anymore RIP

slit

In theory, it helps. In practice, it doesn't make difference, or makes it worse. People that use artificial sweeteners on the reg are fatter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...iated-with-weight-gain-new-research-suggests/

That article does not claim what you think it does. Causation and correlation are different things. If I eat whatever I want and then drink diet soda of course I'll gain weight. By the same token if I exercise regularly and eat what I want I will as well. It's a tool to keep calories in check - nothing more, nothing less. The article even points out the many bogus claims made about artificial sweeteners.

Daedardus

That article does not claim what you think it does. Causation and correlation are different things. If I eat whatever I want and then drink diet soda of course I'll gain weight. By the same token if I exercise regularly and eat what I want I will as well. It's a tool to keep calories in check - nothing more, nothing less. The article even points out the many bogus claims made about artificial sweeteners.

Don't fatter people use more diet products since they need it more or are more conscious about those things? I hardly use artificial sweeteners but I can stand the occasional sugar since I exercise well and my weight is normal.

NiteChylde

Neo Member
Huh, curious, I thought it had already been replaced in the US?

In Germany Coca-Cola replaced the product more than half a year ago, at least according to a newspaper article. My gf and I never noticed any change and it usually is our favourite drink when we go out for dinner. To be fair, the label hasn't changed much here in Germany, it basically looks the same as before, it just doesn't say "Zero" anymore, but "Zero Sugar".

I got some of this at Walmart today, 16oz bottles. I think it tastes better than Zero and has less of a chemically aftertaste. I really like it. Seems more "smooth."

NeOak

When are you bringing back the sugar in the regular US version, Coca-Cola?

I can't stand the Aspartame after taste. It's like I'm licking a metal spoon.

Guess Who

Banned
I still have two 12-packs of Zero to go through before I need to buy more, but from what you all are saying, Zero Sugar tastes sweeter, less sweet, and exactly the same all at the same time.

Slime

Banned
Had it for the first time this weekend.

Tastes almost the same as Zero, but is a bit softer and sweeter, and slightly more like regular Coke. Lacks the refreshing "bite" I liked from original Zero, though.

It could be worse. Still hope they bring Zero back, even if I don't drink soda much anymore.

If it hasn't been stated strongly enough already - Coke Zero and this 'new' Zero Sugar is almost completely the same stuff. The taste variance is so incredibly minor (especially if cold) that you would not notice.

It's no accident that the labelling is almost exactly the same as Coke Zero.

I had had a LOT of Zero after it was introduced. Here in Canada in my local pizza place, it was just suddenly replaced. Because the label looked so similar, I didn't even notice.

I realized after a few weeks that I was drinking the Zero Sugar, and didn't skip a beat. Only reason I even really found out was a story online that mentioned the switch.

Top Bottom