• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola redesigns Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Coke Life cans/bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpocrates

Neo Member
I like the newish 310mL cans we have in Canada.

303185d1452796697-7-eleven-freebie-friday-offer-get-310-ml-coke-can-jan-15th-1.jpg

MooMilk2929

I'd be more interested in them removing aspartane. Diet pepsi finally did it. Why can't they? I love diet coke but I'm sure they could find a substitute that don't change the flavor much.

FyreWulff

Holy shit that looks completely awesome.

it did, there was something that looked really cool about the white cans inside the red box too. Looked like a christmas present.

and then a bunch of people complained that it looked too much like diet coke and now we can no longer have nice things.

So Zero is a different flavor profile but still aspartame. I guess?

Coke Zero is a low calorie version of the actual Coke Formula(tm)

Diet Coke actually has no relation to Coca Cola, formula wise, it's basically a diet soda they slapped the Coke branding on. It's the same with Diet Pepsi and Pepsi, Diet Pepsi isn't based off the Pepsi formula, it's just a diet soda with the Pepsi branding put on it.

McNum

Coca-Cola Life is decent here in Denmark, at least. I don't get that odd aftertaste some of you guys are mentioning. It's just a slightly blander version of classic red Coca-Cola, though with the amusing quirk that it foams like a beer if you pour it into a glass.

It tastes good enough, taste-wise I'd rank it below normal Coca-Cola and normal Pepsi, but it's also 35% less calories, so... eh. I can live with that.

Although being colorblind, the shade of green they chose compared to the shade of red they use on the classic ones can be a bit annoying. I am not in favor of adding any splashes of red to the green Life bottles at all. They're hard enough to tell apart at a glance as is.

WHAT THE FUCK

Why the hate for Coke Life

It tastes better than normal Coke, what is wrong with you people
It's basically normal Coke but the sweetness is less aggressive

edit: also it's not purely stevia, there's still sugar, just less

UberTag

Coke Life tastes alright for the first few seconds but is quickly followed by a vile aftertaste that takes a bit to go away. They should have cancelled the line long ago.
Vile aftertaste that refuses to go away? Sounds like Pepsi. Is this what they're using to pull in the Pepsi drinkers?

Matticers

A foresee a whole bunch of "Hey, can you grab a Coke for me?" followed by the uninformed person grabbing one of the wrong types because they look similar now.

WHAT THE FUCK

Why the hate for Coke Life

It tastes better than normal Coke, what is wrong with you people
It's basically normal Coke but the sweetness is less aggressive

edit: also it's not purely stevia, there's still sugar, just less

The aftertaste is horrible beyond belief.

Jesus christ this shit is literally corporate ejaculate run thru a xerox and saved as .pdf
yOdUlik.gif

As a logo designer, basically. They need to invent all this work just to seem like they did something outstanding to come out with the logo they desgined (that probably came in the first few workings and brainstormings).

And I say this as someone who likes the logo (I think the problem with it came with the web 2.0 letter font they used, something they dont even tackle in the fucking document), and thinks the idea of using it in animated commercials moving as a liquid to create faces is a really cool effect, and something that ironically they really never used at the end.

But... the aftertaste is no different from regular Coke either.

It sure is here (UK). Must be different formula's or something.

When I bought it I was expecting something slightly different like those cokes with vitamins from a few years ago. But the taste is very different.

Chuckie

Coca-Cola Life is decent here in Denmark, at least. I don't get that odd aftertaste some of you guys are mentioning. It's just a slightly blander version of classic red Coca-Cola, though with the amusing quirk that it foams like a beer if you pour it into a glass.

Yeah here in Holland too.

I'd rate it like this:

Regular > Life > Zero > Light (Diet)

AHA-Lambda

Actually I like it, and it brings consistency to the brand. I'm surprised Coke has kept Diet Coke and regular so separate for so long in fact.

otoh, i still don't see why we need 4 versions of coke? Why zero and diet? And why Life, this weird half baked step in between diet and regular?

Kenstar

stage 2 is complete. onto stage 3.

9OYoT2E.jpg

That's a good minimalist package right there
stick out way more with way less design actually put onto it

Nutella's like PB now, everyone knows what it is and what it's for, you dont need a picture of a piece of bread with the shit slathered onto it and a small peanut/hazelnut to indicate what it's made out of.

Coke life is shit. I drink Diet Coke and caffeine free Diet Coke but can't stand Zero.

I always thought the reason Diet Coke is called Coca Cola light in Europe is because some accents make ordering a nice, big Coke sound obscene.

I've lived in a few countries over the last few years and there's always a very slight difference in the taste of each drink in between countries. U.K. Diet Coke is slightly blander than Australian which has a sort of coconut note.

I sound like a beer bore.

Fliesen

my thoughts:

• Changing "Diet Coke" to "Coca Cola Light" was direly needed. It makes the lineup more consistent - just look at the cans others have posted. "Diet Coke" didn't even prominently show the 'Coca Cola' branding, but the ugly 'Coke' one.
  • Going back to a red-based logo for "Coca Cola Life" was needed. The current cans / bottles look like the content were some icky kale-juice
  • I don't see the niche for Coca Cola life. It's not zero calories, it's not original taste. Why bother going for some "-40% calories with a 'natural' sweetener" stepping stone. There's nothing particularly 'natural' about Coca Cola to begin with. I suppose it's all about that shelf space.

about "diet coke" vs "coca cola light" ...
in other languages, like german, calorie reduced items have the anglicism "light" added. They're called "light Produkte".
Diet would sound too much like "Diät", which is the word commonly used for "diet" as in "being on a diet", which has the negative connotation of ... well, being on a diet. reduced portion sizes and all.
"light" implies reduced-caloric-intake-while-still-being-a-proper-portion. A slice of "light"-cheese is still a slice of cheese.

i don't particularly care about light vs zero. They taste pretty much the same to me :/

I thought there was a thread with -- at least similar -- designs a little while ago. They do look nice, though.

I'm a big Coke drinker, although I shouldn't drink so much of it.

amanset

As a type 1 diabetic I can say that those new cans are fucking stupid.

People will be accidentally drinking full fat Coke. It will happen.

Looked up Coke Life, never seen that before in my life. How is it? I'm partial to Coke Zero at this point.
It tastes exactly than coke but not too sweet, which is my issue with coke. It also has no aftertaste of diet drinks which i actually hate about diet drinks. Makes me piss like a horse though.

I'm in the UK by the way, don't know if the recipe differs.

ito007

I don't get the hate for coke life. I'd definitely rather drink regular coke but this is decent. I drank way too much coke zero and got tired of the taste, so now I drink a coke life like once every few days. Always a blessing every time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom