• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bottled, Canned, or Fountain Sodas: Which type do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottle / can / fountain.

Really chick fil a has the best fountain drinks. I dont know what they do but it taste just as good as bottle.

I always have to ask for no ice. They go overboard. Like you said, they seem to have excellent fountain soda. I don't want ice to take away from that enjoyment! Whenever I forget, I always seem to have more ice than soda. :(

Can is the only way I really like it. Opening up a can of mountain dew, with moisture condensating on the can. Hearing the crack of the can opening, and taking the first sip. Mmmmm…

The Beard

Fountain is by far the best, they vary in quality though. Coke can taste like ass from one fountain, and be delicious from another.

Second best is glass bottle.

Plastic bottle is third.

Can is last.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Fountain is a gamble, there could be good times and bad times depending on the machine. My top vote is for can soda. Bottles are meh tier.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Great fountain, glass bottle, can, good fountain, plastic bottle, bad fountain.

Fountain is much better when I can control the ice to soda ratio and is the most fizzy.

3phemeral

Was just thinking about this a little while back. I have a habit of getting those large fountain drinks at gas stations and places like Qdoba now that they have those all-in-one soda machines and after buying a bottled diet coke, I couldn't even drink it. Must contain more syrup and less carbonation because it tasted way too strong for my liking. I had to ice it and wait for it to melt so: Fountain > ***

wfxfg2k.jpg

Diet Vanilla Root Beer 4 lyfe.

Can > Plastic Bottle > Fountain. It seems like every fountain soda has something just a bit off, and there's not as much consistency between machines.

Glass bottle is king, though, but I'm not putting it on the ranking since it's not nearly as readily available as the others.

shink

I don't think I even notice the difference in taste. Though I hardly drink soft drinks so that may be why.

USC-fan

Banned
I always have to ask for no ice. They go overboard. Like you said, they seem to have excellent fountain soda. I don't want ice to take away from that enjoyment! Whenever I forget, I always seem to have more ice than soda. :(

They also have the best ice but i never get ice in fountain sodas. No matter where i get it from.

fountain is the GOAT but glass bottled is what I usually drink due to selection. man if they had strong ginger beer in a fountain I would probably die.

DopeToast

Banned
Can is the best. Seems to be the most carbonated and gets very nice and cold in the fridge. Fountain can be great but it depends on the fountain. McDonald's Diet Coke is to die for. Plastic bottle is great for convenience-sake. Glass bottles are cute, but that's it.

old

Fountain is best if properly calibrated.

Unfortunately a lot of managers at places try to run better controlled costs by cheating on the fountain calibration. They turn down the syrup and carbonation parts on the mix ratio. You end up with bitter and flat fountain drinks instead of sweet and sparkling. That's on top of them filling the cup to the brink with ice (even during winter).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I had to google what fountain soda meant lol

So essentially dispenser sodas then. Yeah I prefer that. I think they mix water with them hence why they're not too sugary compared to the bottled or canned versions right?

They also have the best ice but i never get ice in fountain sodas. No matter where i get it from.

Depending on where you go. More and more, I'm seeing them switch over to these remarkable small, cylindrical ice pellets (this may very well be the same ice you were referring to). I love the consistency of it. It's solid, but if you bite down on one, it almost has the consistency of a snowball/snow cone/shaved ice, but firmer. It's very airy and light, which I guess contributes to that specific consistency. Two opened near me and had them right away, but older ones still had standard solid ice, but have since converted.

Also, I think the styrofoam cups go a long way in making the soda so good. Two counties over from me, they are trying to ban styrofoam entirely and CFA is not happy about it as they claim it helps keep the soda refreshing for their customers. I kinda agree with them here. There's just something different about drinking a soda from their cups as opposed to, say, one from McDonald's.

Schrade

Properly calibrated fountain is god tier. The water is ice cold so no ice is needed. The syrup is mixed properly so the flavor is there without the salty taste of too much carbonated water.

Some 7-11 stores have really nice calibrated fountains. I always get Diet Dr. Pepper from there. Tastes really damn good!

McDonald's Diet Coke is also really good too.

glass bottle > plastic bottle > can > fountain

there's no other way is there ? fountain is always mixed with some shite, can tastes like metal

Glass bottle > can > plastic bottle > dog feces > fountain.

I usually only drink a small glass bottle of coke maybe once a week though. Soda is too sweet, and I have enough other unhealthy habits.

Undead

Glass bottle for me, fountain can be ok sometimes but finding a good one is like finding a golden goose (in uk)

bebop242

Nothing beats a mcdonalds coke or a properly made mountain dew at taco bell.

Second is glass
Third is cans
Fourth is plastic bottles

Rafterman

Banned
Glass bottle > all. It's literally no contest. I wish we could still get them here instead of that plastic bottle shit, which are far worse than cans or fountain.

Fountain>Bottle>Can
Not that I dislike canned soda though since I buy it.

True.

I like McDonalds fountain drinks cos they secretly crank the syrup ratio to blow your fat ass up like a balloon. I love it so much.

I didn't know this. I wonder if 7 Eleven does this as well?

I can go for either can or bottles, fountain soda isn't bad but in my opinion it's not as good as can or bottle.

I'll take a can anytime. Warm, cold, don't really give a fuck, it's all good.

Really, warm soda? Lol I could never drink warm soda it just doesn't taste good to me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Fountain > Can > Bottle

It's funny that the iconic bottle is at the bottom of the rung... But I love the coldness of fountain and can and the warmness of bottle bothers me.

Plastic bottle though. I remember the superior glass bottles from my childhood <3

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Fountain >>> fresh 2 liter > 20 oz bottle > old 2 liter > can > old 20 oz bottle

I don't drink enough glass bottles soda to have opinion. Where the hell would I even buy that and it probably costs way more

Feep

Banned
Only mildly related, but has anyone done a blind taste test between HFCS and cane sugar coke? Because I feel like people are bullshitting me; they taste exactly the fucking same.

Dispensers often have a higher syrup concentration for a better taste, but on the flip side if not cleaned properly they taste disgusting, so while in theory they're best it's swings and roundabouts in reality.

At the same temps glass bottles are otherwise best, though I have a soft spot for cans as in a pinch they're easier to get super cold by way of a half hour or so in the freezer.

Havik

The fountain sodas here always taste so watery like they cheap out on the amount of syrup they put in.

Morabu

Neo Member
i stopped drinking Soda (pop) about 1 year ago.
was way to addicted to it. that being said.
Fountain > Glass Bottle > Can > Plastic Bottle

a well maintained fountain is BY FAR the best soda you can get. it's so fizzy and amazing!
a dirty fountain can make that experience so gross though.
a bottle or can will give you a much more consistent experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom