• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bottled, Canned, or Fountain Sodas: Which type do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit- Specify type of bottle: Plastic of Glass.

Edit 2- Since there is some confusion about "fountain". A soda fountain is a machine the dispenses soda. They are typically seen in restaurants, most visibly at fast food establishments. Some are behind the counter, others are self serve. A typical soda fountain works as follows: One tube has carbonated water, another tube has syrup and flavoring. When the user selects his drink and pushes their cup against the dispenser the contents of the two tubes mix and out comes their drink. However, a new device from Coca-Cola, called Coke Freestyle, works a slightly different way. There are three tubes. One is carbonated water, the second is syrup, and the third is flavor. The flavoring is highly concentrated. It's made that way so that less space is needed for flavoring. As a result, the Freestyle machines allow for a higher variety of soda options. In most fountains, if you want a Coke, you have two options: regular or diet. In the Freestyle machine you can have regular, diet, caffeine free, caffeine free diet, zero, vanilla, cherry, etc. And that is just the Coke offerings in the machine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Freestyle

Fountain for me. I think it tastes better and is more refreshing. Anyone else?

Edit 2- New addition to this: When from soda comes from fountain or bottle (2-litter) (or poured from can) do you prefer it in a glass, plastic cup, or stryofoam. I kind of like styrofoam. It never feels cold to the touch and seems to keep the soda cooler longer. A few counties away from me, they are trying to ban styrofoam all together. Chick-Fil-A is trying to fight it, saying the reason they prefer to use styrofoam is the same reason I like using it. It just keeps the soda cold and crisp.

Varna

Can is noticeably better to me.

Bottle is still pretty all right.

Fountain is a last resort.

isn't this hugely dependant on where you get the fountain drink from?

Best fountain will never be as good as can or bottle.

We are talking about carbonated drinks right? Other stuff I can deal with fountain.

DOWN

Banned
Glass bottle or fountain by far. Love fountain. Coca cola bae

Plastic bottle is decent, can is worst but not bad.

Xe4

Banned
Depending on the quality of the fountain.
Fountain>Glass>Can>Plastic
or
Glass>Fountain>Can>Plastic

I prefer a can or glass bottle.

I only like fountain if it's one of those coke freestyle machines.

Plastic bottle tastes the worst but has the convenience of being able to close it and carry it around.

Vending machine at my job has orange soda in cans and bottles. The can always has an extra little flavor in it that's missing from plastic bottles versions.

Fantomas

I prefer cans. I do like the fancy glass bottles though if I happen to be someplace that's selling them.

Don't like plastic bottles or fountain very much though.

mackattk

Fountain if they have the co2 at the right levels and the mix is proper...

Bottles next for the convenience and cans last.

Fountain > Can >>>>>>>>> Plastic Bottle (haven't had glass bottle in so long I don't remember how it is). Plastic bottle always tastes flat halfway through. But I really don't drink soda often these days though.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Imagine if GAF was actually an accurate representation of our population.

There'd be so much broken glass everywhere. It would be like Die Hard IRL every time u had to run an errand.

Maybe when I take garbage bags full of wine bottles out to the curb every week people just think I'm really enthusiastic about drinking soda.

RetroMG

Fountain > Small Bottle > Can > Big Bottle (2 Liter)

Fountains taste best.
Small bottles are portable
Cans help with portion control
And then there are big bottles.

rykomatsu

Bottle

I don't trust the cleanliness of cans
I don't trust the cleanliness of unwrapped straws and lids being touched by grubby hands of little brats

entremet

America has fountains that dispense soda?

soda-fountain-437p.jpg

Fountain soda or soda dispensers use industrial sized syrups that are mixed with soda water.

The proportions can be a bit different than can soda, so they have slightly different taste.

I personally find fountain the most fizzy.

TheBear

1.25L into chilled glass > can > mcdonalds fountain > 600ml bottle > glass bottle > 395ml bottle > fountains everywhere else

G0523

I prefer anything but fountain. But if it's the best choice (cheapest) then I'll go with that. I like bottled most.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fountain is formulated to be drunk with lots of ice. A good fountain version can beat anything. Meanwhile when a fountain is bad, it's real bad.

Glass is preferred for flavor preservation. Cans are only really good for super neutral drinks, such as Seltzer.

America has fountains that dispense soda?

Like the post below you shows, fountain soda comes out of dispensers. They used to be really big, especially in the 30's-60's. You would go to a "soda fountain shop" and order a soda from the man behind the counter, known as a soda jerk. Commonly, milk shakes and malts were ordered as well. If you've seen Back to the Future, when Marty uses the phone book to find Doc Brown's address, that happens to be a quintessential soda fountain shop. They were basically the place to be if you were a teen during this era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_fountain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_jerk

USC-fan

Banned
Bottle / can / fountain.

Really chick fil a has the best fountain drinks. I dont know what they do but it taste just as good as bottle.

Non-diet soda, everything (preferably in a glass bottle from Mexico for coke and dr pepper)

Diet soda - unless it's all that's available not from fountain, and never at fast food restaurants. I hate diet coke from McDonald's and Burger King, it tastes horrible. I'll go water or hfcs instead of that swill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom