• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bottled, Canned, or Fountain Sodas: Which type do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a plastic bag with a straw so the cheap ass store owner can pocket the money from recycling the empty glass bottle.

d5c07cf21d8ef59f031eb50538a3a6c7.jpg

Depends on the soda. Dr. Pepper is best from a can and worst from the fountain, but Coke is best from the fountain and worst from the can. It's a fine line.

VariantX

Was just thinking about this a little while back. I have a habit of getting those large fountain drinks at gas stations and places like Qdoba now that they have those all-in-one soda machines and after buying a bottled diet coke, I couldn't even drink it. Must contain more syrup and less carbonation because it tasted way too strong for my liking. I had to ice it and wait for it to melt so: Fountain > ***

wfxfg2k.jpg

Diet Vanilla Root Beer 4 lyfe.

Eh, while some things taste allright from this machine, others just don't taste right. Maybe the places i've been where these were at didn't set the machines up properly.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Eh, while some things taste allright from this machine, others just don't taste right. Maybe the places i've been where these were at didn't set the machines up properly.

The Barqs root beer that comes out of it at a place by me is fucking legit, though.

Kyzer

Banned
Cold can tastes the best, fountain is by far the worst, and is always inconsistent, by most consistently the most watered down

Urban BBQ has a root beer tap tho...

jonezer4

Imagine if GAF was actually an accurate representation of our population.

There'd be so much broken glass everywhere. It would be like Die Hard IRL every time u had to run an errand.

Are empty plastic bottles and cans everywhere where you live?

genjiZERO

Aluminium cans stay coldest longest. Glass bottles - especially recycled 1L ones - have a nice distinct taste. Fountain drinks can be good, but must be bricked right. Plastic bottles are for barbarians except if you are lucky enough to find Kosher Coke. If you are I've noticed that the cola ages really well as it loses carbonation over the lifespan of the bottle.

Glass bottle > can > fountain > plastic bottle.

Certain sodas break this though. Fountain Dr. Pepper is much better than canned and bottled, for example. Same with Sprite.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Team glass. Pleasant mineral taste, amplifies initial effervescence, retains carbonation longer, better insulated to stay cooler longer and fascinating contrast of smooth, hard mouthfeel with liquid and lingual.

sgjackson

Good fountain>glass bottle>can>plastic bottle>bad fountain

Good fountain drinks just taste sweeter/thicker/more something I can't quantify than the rest, but bad fountain drinks suck. Cans are only slightly better than plastic bottles. I don't have sugared Coke or whatever enough to remember glass bottle taste well, but it sticks in my mind as being a generally positive experience enough that I feel safe in putting it over cans.

Edit: Getting some monstrosity at a Coke Freestyle machine made me get way too much Burger King next to my old apartment.

Team glass. Pleasant mineral taste, amplifies initial effervescence, retains carbonation longer, better insulated to stay cooler longer and fascinating contrast of smooth, hard mouthfeel with liquid and lingual.

Yeah, there is something special about a glass bottle. I think glass in general is better, even with fountain soda. Those coke-specific glasses are much better than plastic or styrofoam.

coca-cola-branded-toughened-glass-16oz-455cl.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C14WH4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

espher

It depends.

Coca Cola and Barqs from can or fountain (no ice), Pepsi from bottle or fountain (but must be in glass with ice) , 7Up and any flavour of orange/cream soda/ginger ale from a bottle only (no ice).

Persona7

Banned
Only mildly related, but has anyone done a blind taste test between HFCS and cane sugar coke? Because I feel like people are bullshitting me; they taste exactly the fucking same.

I can definitely notice a difference and I prefer not to drink soda sweetened with hfcs but I am also a supertaster so idk.

Yeah, I've actually always liked warm soda. Never really needed ice or for it to be cold.

Yeah, I actually don't like ice in my soda because once the ice is melted it waters it down and makes it taste gross lol. Literally every time I go and get fast food I tell them no ice for that reason. I just need my soda to have a slight chill to it, then I'm fine.

Yeah, I actually don't like ice in my soda because once the ice is melted it waters it down and makes it taste gross lol. Literally every time I go and get fast food I tell them no ice for that reason. I just need my soda to have a slight chill to it, then I'm fine.

Same. The only time I like to have ice is if I know the drink will be done before the ice is melted and then I chew on the ice.

Redd

Can or Glass bottle preferably. Fountain as a last resort. Plastic bottle is okay because you can put the cap back on.

TheBear

Only mildly related, but has anyone done a blind taste test between HFCS and cane sugar coke? Because I feel like people are bullshitting me; they taste exactly the fucking same.

FWIW Australian Coke is made with cane sugar and I couldn't taste the difference when I went to the States

Nose Master

Fountain > Glass > can/plastic. Plastic bottles and cans suck shit and you can always taste them.

Fountain is a bit weaker than the pre-packaged variety of the soda, so I can get down on that a lot more.

Also of course you can taste the difference between cane and HFCS, what? Have you never tried a soda with cane sugar? They taste nothing like the normal kind.

New addition to this: When from soda comes from fountain or bottle (2-litter) (or poured from can) do you prefer it in a glass, plastic cup, or stryofoam. I kind of like styrofoam. It never feels cold to the touch and seems to keep the soda cooler longer. A few counties away from me, they are trying to ban styrofoam all together. Chick-Fil-A is trying to fight it, saying the reason they prefer to use styrofoam is the same reason I like using it. It just keeps the soda cold and crisp.

Zoe

Fountain as long as it's not Freestyle. The Freestyle ones around here are calibrated to taste like out of the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom