• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

From what I've heard, the big alumni with the power are mostly really old dudes who love drinking The Glenlivet on the links with Deloss and Mack, love the access, and love the fact that the 'Horns make more money than some countries.

There's no way to ignore the masses when it gets this bad. And you gotta think Mack has some pride and knows when to walk away

Meier

One positive I can bring from this, the Longhorn network is done really well. We just got it on Time Warner in Dallas, and they have great coverage. The commercials are straight up from major advertisers, There is a lot of. Interesting info about famous UT alumni. No zit cure advertising. Compared to something like Fox Southwest, the production in general is really good.
We actually didn't even have LHN in Austin on TWC until 2 weeks ago. Pretty funny. I watched it a bit before the BYU game and was impressed as well fwiw.

There's no way to ignore the masses when it gets this bad. And you gotta think Mack has some pride and knows when to walk away

Here's Texas' equivalent of T. Boone Pickins:

While much of the Longhorn Nation has become livid over the recent results of the Texas football program, Texas benefactor and billionaire attorney Joe Jamail remains firmly in Mack Brown's corner and told the American-Statesman on Friday morning that the Longhorn head coach believes he can still turn around this season.

"Mack's still enthusiastic and thinks we've still got a good chance to win this conference," Jamail told the American-Statesman on Friday morning. "I watched about five minutes of the Tech-TCU game last night, and they couldn't beat my (bleeping) grade school."

Jamail, who's still alert as 87 as a man several decades younger and still goes to work every single day, acknowledges the poor performance in the 40-21 loss to BYU last weekend but expects better results against Ole Miss this Saturday. Jamail still attends Texas' home football games and will be on hand Saturday at the stadium whose field bears his name.

"I've never seen it worse," Jamail said of the BYU loss. "(Texas) it's a better football team than that."

Nor does Jamail think Brown is under pressure to step down. He has a contract through 2020, a contract Jamail prepared.

"I thought the year before last he was getting tired of it," Jamail said of the 8-5 season, "but he has never suggested at any time that he was going to leave. He's never mentioned to me or even hinted that he'd think about leaving. He tells me what he believes. There's no fake to him."

Jamail, who talks to Brown every day, said the coach hasn't lost his enthusiasm or his faith in this 1-1 Texas team. The firing of defensive coordinator Manny Diaz two games into his third season in Austin didn't surprise Jamail.

"I wasn't surprised," Jamail said. "God, Mack was disappointed, but he's still enthusiastic. "We don't talk that much about football. The first time I met him, president (Larry) Faulkner and Darrell Royal came to see me. I told Mack, 'If you don't try to practice law with me, I won't try to practice football with you.' Darrell looked at Mack and said, 'Mack, you don't have 500,000 Texas alumni. You've got 500,000 coaches in the stands and everywhere else criticizing everything you do.

"If you look around, we've got a clean program and one of the most successful programs in the country if you took away the last three years. But heck, 9-4 (last year) ain't too bad. Now it's not too good for Texas. Yeah, it's not going that well right now, but look at what I'm reading about Oklahoma State (and its severe allegations of illegal payments, drug use and academic wrongdoing by Sports Illustrated) and Alabama (whose former offensive lineman D.J. Fluker said he took money while in college). Mack would fix this in a heartbeat if he could."

http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/bohl-games/2013/sep/13/jamail-macks-corner/

And as far as "the masses" are concerned...well, they just packed the stadium tonight. 3rd biggest crowd at DKR. They still buy the branded merchandise. Unless that changes, where's the fire? Why change?

mcgruber

-Excuses.

-Pre-game excuses in the mid-week press conference.

-Post-game excuses the fans could write word-for-word.

-Fall guys and patsies for leadership and structural failure (Tubs had four different DCs, with four different defenses, in four years. Translation: He had no base defensive philosophy of his own, for a so-called "defensive guru" that spells F.R.A.U.D.)

-Conservative play when the opposite was required

-Resigned-to-failure play by play-callers and players late in game

i thought tech was successful under leach and distraught over him leaving?

Juice

Man wishing Northwestern could really pull away from western. Feel like if they don't cover the insane 30-something spread it'll be held against them

i thought tech was successful under leach and distraught over him leaving?

What does that have to do with Tuberville? Some people were mad about the Leach firing, sure. But probably and equal number of fans suspected that Leach had lost the team sometime after the infamous Houston loss which was completely Leach's fault. Tuberville was never blamed for Leach's firing, even by the biggest fans of the Pirate.

The myth that Tuberville "wasn't a good fit" at Tech, or "never got a chance from the fans" is just that--a myth. And it's a provable fact.

After Tubs was announced as the new head coach, Tech smashed it's season ticket sales and attendance records. Those ticket sales alone are PROOF that Tubs was welcomed with open arms and given a real chance to do well. People wanted him to do well. He had the run of the town in Lubbock. And it all unraveled under his failures as a coach, not because of a "bad fit" or whatever excuse he used to get the Cincinnati job.

mcgruber

What does that have to do with Tuberville? Some people were mad about the Leach firing, sure. But probably and equal number of fans suspected that Leach had lost the team sometime after the infamous Houston loss which was completely Leach's fault. Tuberville was never blamed for Leach's firing, even by the biggest fans of the Pirate.

The myth that Tuberville "wasn't a good fit" at Tech, or "never got a chance from the fans" is just that--a myth. And it's a provable fact.

After Tubs was announced as the new head coach, Tech smashed it's season ticket sales and attendance records. Those ticket sales alone are PROOF that Tubs was welcomed with open arms and given a real chance to do well. People wanted him to do well. He had the run of the town in Lubbock. And it all unraveled under his failures as a coach, not because of a "bad fit" or whatever excuse he used to get the Cincinnati job.

i confused tubs with leach. to be fair, tubs is an accurate nickname for leach too

Branduil

Well it seems like UCLA is the king of third quarters so far. They're outscoring teams 48-0 in them through 2 games. Also only allowed 7 points in the second half of games, total.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Overtime in Utah. Is there anything better than college overtime? So good.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just let Cooks run open. Great plan Utah. Great plan. Neither of those teams deserved to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom