• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 8| The best X-loss teams in the nation

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mizzou's got them at home and a lot of the game depends on how Conor Shaw's feeling. The cards are in Mizzou's favor right now unless SCAR can bottle up that anger from losing to Tennessee and crush them. Mizzou'll be the easy favorite going in.

I personally don't think Bama's the #1 team in the country, but the way LSU's been playing Bama should get by them.Especially because it's in Tuscaloosa. Bama will go undefeated because of a soft ass schedule.

That's one thing I've never understood about polls. You beat a team that's ranked higher than you, thus implying they're better than you, then you beat them and they're still ranked higher than you. Wat?

But JFF doe.

Only teams with a hard ass schedule are teams with a couple losses.

Ambient80

AP Poll

Look at them SECSECSEC jumps for Mizzou and Auburn.

Code:
1	Alabama (55)	7-0	1,495	1
2	Oregon (3)	7-0	1,427	2
3	FSU  (2)	6-0	1,395	5
4	Ohio State	7-0	1,309	4
5	Missouri	7-0	1,197	14
6	Baylor	        6-0	1,189	12
7	Miami (FL)	6-0	1,130	10
8	Stanford	6-1	1,118	13
9	Clemson	        6-1	927	3
10	Texas Tech	7-0	904	16
11	Auburn	        6-1	867	24
12	UCLA	        5-1	832	9
13	LSU	        6-2	739	6
14	Texas A&M	5-2	683	7
15	Fresno State	6-0	550	17
16	Virginia Tech	6-1	509	19
17	Oklahoma	6-1	501	18
18	Louisville	6-1	428	8
19	Oklahoma State	5-1	382	21
20	South Carolina	5-2	381	11
21	UCF	        5-1	345	32
22	Wisconsin	5-2	258	25
23	N Illinois	7-0	220	23
24	Michigan	6-1	169	26
25	Nebraska	5-1	117	27

Well I'll be frank, I was totally wrong with my predictions :)

Pretty big jumps by Auburn, Missouri, and Baylor. Also interesting that FSU managed to shave a couple first place votes from Oregon. This could be an exciting second half of the season :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I personally don't think Bama's the #1 team in the country, but the way LSU's been playing Bama should get by them. Especially because it's in Tuscaloosa. Bama will go undefeated because of a soft ass schedule.

That's part of the problem! I'd actually be more comfortable if it was an away game. Road win streak is crazy, no away losses since 2010.

On the other hand last night's game was great and even though Arkansas is Kentucky-tier, there wasn't a whole lot they could have done better. First team offense only punted once. Apart from Fulton being Fulton the defense was great. If the team keeps coming together I think they would do pretty well against Oregon or FSU. Can't say I've felt that way for most of the season.

Also, I think the backup center might be better than the starter that's been out.

Surprised that ucla barely fell.

Considering the collapse that happened ahead of them it's not surprising. They would probably be in the upper teens had half the top 10 not lost.

I know it happens all the time, but the worst thing about this weeks' polls is UCF being behind Louisville.
I sometimes understand that.

But in this case, UCF has the much better resume with wins at Penn St and UL. Plus a close loss to USC, which I guess counts for little.

UL's best win is against Rutgers. Their OOC schedule was an absolute joke.

I'm OK with the AP ranking. Its the Coaches that was a bit shocking to me. Oh well happy to be ranked regardless and UCF just has to keep winning to stay in command of the BCS bid.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
AP poll still complete garbage. Good to see some things never change.

SEC cannibalizing itself still elevates the winners. It is hilarious...ly sad. Hope the SEC gets rocked in the bowls this year so they can finally accept their role as the new ACC.

Kevtones

Oregon only really passes the eye test. Their only real opponents are a mediocre Tennessee team and a mediocre Washington team. Everybody who sees them knows they are a top 2-3 team, way better than Missouri, but I could kind of see computers ranking them fourth when score differential wouldn't be a factor.

The real issue is most of the SEC being ranked for no good goddamn reason.

I'd put Oregon's 59-14 thrashing of UT up there in 'impressive performances'. Especially when you consider that 59 points came with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

Anyway, you're right though. Playing UCLA and Stanford in the next two weeks will determine Oregon. They also play Utah, @ Arizona, Oregon State (which is suddenly tricky).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'd put Oregon's 59-14 thrashing of UT up there in 'impressive performances'. Especially when you consider that 59 points came with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

Anyway, you're right though. Playing UCLA and Stanford in the next two weeks will determine Oregon. They also play Utah, @ Arizona, Oregon State (which is suddenly tricky).

I agree, and that is why people can tell that Oregon is a top 2-3 team. But computers that don't take score differential into account may think Missouri is a better team.

I'm just happy to see Clemson hanging in the top 10. If they win out, and beat South Carolina, they would likely be one of the BCS at large teams yes?

God I wish we had the four team playoff this season. I'd hate to see FSU win out and still be denied a chance to be BCS champs.

Enfinit

That's part of the problem! I'd actually be more comfortable if it was an away game. Road win streak is crazy, no away losses since 2010.

On the other hand last night's game was great and even though Arkansas is Kentucky-tier, there wasn't a whole lot they could have done better. First team offense only punted once. Apart from Fulton being Fulton the defense was great. If the team keeps coming together I think they would do pretty well against Oregon or FSU. Can't say I've felt that way for most of the season.

Also, I think the backup center might be better than the starter that's been out.
Bama looked real good last night, but then again it was Arkansas. To me, Bama hasn't had a real test (A&M doesn't count considering their complete lack of defense). They need to play a team to give them a run for their money, and on paper that team should've been LSU. With each passing week LSU is becoming more subpar, so I guess we'll have to wait until the SEC Championship game against ... Mizzou? Bama's path to the national championship is more or less a cake walk.

I'm just happy to see Clemson hanging in the top 10. If they win out, and beat South Carolina, they would likely be one of the BCS at large teams yes?

God I wish we had the four team playoff this season. I'd hate to see FSU win out and still be denied a chance to be BCS champs.

You're telling me. I'd much rather see FSU/Bama or FSU/Oregon instead of Oregon vs. Bama. Could you imagine FSU beating the almighty SEC super champion in Bama? That would certainly shut the SEC the fuck up.

And if Clemson finishes in the top 10, they'd certainly get an at-large bid. With Boyd and Watkins in their final years, the opportunity to pull a good audience would be huge and mouth watering for the bowl committee. Plus, the Clemson fanbase travels extraordinarily well. I doubt they'd be relegated to the Chick-Fil-A Bowl again (although that bowl game is usually really good).

Oregon drops at least two of their next 5. Tough schedule.

Missouri, Auburn, and Baylor. Please. Just please. Nice to see Miami up high, though. Like I said earlier, as long as they take care of business in time for the drubbing in Tallahassee, all is good.

b30Ry5g.gif

Yeah, fuck fans who support their team no matter what. Makes me sick.

Actually I do view it as a major problem. Allows the school to get away with mediocrity.

You never had to live through a decade plus of Schiano.

That zombie should've been gutted rather than promoted to the NFL.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Missouri, Auburn, and Baylor. Please. Just please. Nice to see Miami up high, though. Like I said earlier, as long as they take care of business in time for the drubbing in Tallahassee, all is good.

Saying Miami deserves to be that high and Missouri doesn't is kind of contrary, since their body of work so far is about equal.

I don't know what they were thinking with Auburn though. And Baylor has style points I guess, but they're going to come crashing down soon enough, they'll probably lose two or three of their last five games.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Actually I do view it as a major problem. Allows the school to get away with mediocrity.

You never had to live through a decade plus of Schiano.

That zombie should've been gutted rather than promoted to the NFL.

There is a point when you can have unreasonable expectations of what a coach can do at certain schools. Rutgers has no real history of winning. Being disappointed in a coach that took you to your first bowl win ever, and a string of bowl games near the end of his tenure just seems weird to me.

You can't compare Rutgers' success to the success of a historically relevant program. It is possible for a great coach to elevate a program to national relevancy, but pretty damn rare.

I guess i just don't see 7 bowl games and 5 bowl wins since 2005 as mediocre for a program like Rutgers.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You're telling me. I'd much rather see FSU/Bama or FSU/Oregon instead of Oregon vs. Bama. Could you imagine FSU beating the almighty SEC super champion in Bama? That would certainly shut the SEC the fuck up.
Losing this year won't change 3 of the last 4. I'd hate not to win it all this year, but it wouldn't ruin my life. We've still had a hell of a run.

My AP poll prediction for SEC teams tomorrow.

1. Alabama
9. Mizzou
13. Auburn
14. LSU
17. TAMU
18. SCAR
22. Georgia
23. Tennessee
25. Ole Miss

Others receiving votes:
Florida (20), Vanderbilt (8)

no votes: Kentucky, Miss St., Arkansas

They had a record breaking 8 teams in last week, I would love to see that record shattered this week.

Actual AP rank

1. Alabama
5. Mizzou
11. Auburn
13. LSU
14. TAMU
20. SCAR
30. Georgia
31. Ole Miss
32. Florida

I wasn't too far off

Enfinit

Losing this year won't change 3 of the last 4. I'd hate not to win it all this year, but it wouldn't ruin my life. We've still had a hell of a run.
No dismay towards Bama, but it would certainly put the SEC hype into check. I like Bama as much as any Bama fan, and I love SEC football, but the SECSECSEC nut-off has run its course. There just needs to be a point where the audience and the media both go "Hey, the SEC isn't as good as they were last season." A victory over Bama would certainly get that train rolling.

BCS Guru projects UCF won't make it in the BCS rankings.

And considering getting jobbed in both the Coaches and Harris polls at 25, I am preparing myself for it.

Complete BS if true.

jjasper

No dismay towards Bama, but it would certainly put the SEC hype into check. I like Bama as much as any Bama fan, and I love SEC football, but the SECSECSEC nut-off has run its course. There just needs to be a point where the audience and the media both go "Hey, the SEC isn't as good as they were last season." A victory over Bama would certainly get that train rolling.
Pawwwwl went on gameday and stated the Pac 12 was better this year. We are trying to tell people but none of the national media is listening

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Most people are incorrect in their "this is an SEC run"

Nope, It's the "Alabama Experience ft. The SEC Kids."

Draxal

There is a point when you can have unreasonable expectations of what a coach can do at certain schools. Rutgers has no real history of winning. Being disappointed in a coach that took you to your first bowl win ever, and a string of bowl games near the end of his tenure just seems weird to me.

You can't compare Rutgers' success to the success of a historically relevant program. It is possible for a great coach to elevate a program to national relevancy, but pretty damn rare.

I guess i just don't see 7 bowl games and 5 bowl wins since 2005 as mediocre for a program like Rutgers.

The problem here is that Rutgers was actually a decent program until Terry Shea nuked it to orbit, and we're staying facing that perception problem because of Shea.

Enfinit

Pawwwwl went on gameday and stated the Pac 12 was better this year. We are trying to tell people but none of the national media is listening

The SEC is just a money-earning machine. Media doesn't want to listen. What garners more audience attention, a one-loss SEC team or a one-loss PAC 12 team? It's just the way the world works.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The problem here is that Rutgers was actually a decent program until Terry Shea nuked it to orbit, and we're staying facing that perception problem because of Shea.

I am ignorant to Rutgers pre Schiano, but if they were a decent program why were they never in a bowl game?

Top Bottom