• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbia University invites Ahmadinejad to Speak on Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

APF

No, they're just flapping their mouths, because they're not going to do that (unless something completely drastic occurs). The point is, all this rhetoric is for political and diplomatic gain, and potentially to provoke Israel into preemptive action.

edit: I also totally disagree that the US would, indeed, nuke Iran in retaliation to a nuclear strike against Israel.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Oh, I realize that you're talking about the speech's implications for Ahmadinejad's supporters, rather than an actual, likely course of action.

But would you say that post accurately describes why such an implication would be clear to them? And why the end of the Jewish state inherently implies the end of the Jewish people in that state?

APF said:
No, they're just flapping their mouths, because they're not going to do that (unless something completely drastic occurs). The point is, all this rhetoric is for political and diplomatic gain, and potentially to provoke Israel into preemptive action.

edit: I also totally disagree that the US would, indeed, nuke Iran in retaliation to a nuclear strike against Israel.

Well I don't really have a dog in this hunt.

I'm not a fan of Ahmadinejad but I'm old school. I say you punish nations for committed actions and not talk unless the circumstances are amazingly unique.

APF

I'm not interested in being led along. If he has a point, he should probably make it. Without the games. As we see in this thread I have no problem saying what I believe; he should just get whatever is on his mind, off his chest.

The Stealth Fox

APF said:
I'm not interested in being led along. If he has a point, he should probably make it. Without the games. As we see in this thread I have no problem saying what I believe; he should just get whatever is on his mind, off his chest.

You obviously do have problems because you've completely mislead people by posting one thing and then changing your argument to make it more harder to attack.

He's trying to confirm what you've said so we can stop these childish mental acrobatics. Why do you refuse to answer directly and concisely? He's not leading you along, he's asking you if his presentation of your argument is correct (see: "But would you say that post accurately describes why such an implication would be clear to them?"). If not, then correct him!

Edit: I also find it ironic that you accuse him of playing games. If I can't necessarily restate what you believe easily (well, until a billion posts later), you obviously DO have problems clearly expressing yourself.

APF

I haven't changed anything; you just have a hard time reconciling what I'm actually saying--making an extremely small point--with some sort of caricature of my actual beliefs (see: FlightyF). That's not my problem, it's yours. I've said literally the same thing a hundred times, yet you for some reason believe my saying something I said 99 posts ago means I've "changed" my argument or "misled" someone. No; you just aren't able to follow my points because you're confused--you're thinking I'm arguing something I'm not, because rather than simply read what I'm saying (here's that irony again), you're addressing some straw man poster.

Again, if Mandark has something to say, he shouldn't be afraid to say it. Just post whatever you're getting at, guy.

Walshicus

If there's one thing that's great about Ahmadinejad it's the jackets he wears. They're all awesome. And he has some great photo moments too.

Mahmoud's still a bit sore he wasn't picked to play Lieutenant Columbo.
Columbo2.jpg
Columbo1.jpg

Even his friendship with a somewhat rundown George Clooney didn't help.
Clooney.jpg

His stage skills were never in doubt.
OkeyKokey.jpg
Dance.jpg

And even though Mahmoud claimed he knew what the ladies like...
Lady.jpg

There were always doubts.
OhYou.jpg

Still, at least he had his footballing skills to fall back on.
Footie.jpg

Oh and it turns out he doesn't hate Jews.
Surprise.jpg

FightyF

Banned
APF said:
Oh, so the Jews only need to be removed from history, not the map. Got it.

:lol No you don't. I'm not surprised though!

:lol

He says, "The regime...". He was specifically referring to the government.

It's like saying that Bush sought to ethnically cleanse the Iraqis because he wanted the Baathist Regime to be removed from power.

You're so silly, APF. And by silly I mean suffering from an apparent learning disability.

And the holocaust is a myth, but the guy respects Jews nonetheless. Damned Neo Con talk radio, telling me the wrong things again!!!!

You don't have to be anti-Semetic to think that the Holocaust didn't happen. People don't think there was a Genocide in Bosnia...does that make them anti-Muslim? If your talk radio tells you he hates Jews...they should probably back it up with some factual evidence, such as speech that demeans them, or their faith.

Your correlation doesn't fly in the land of logic.

If only I listened to rational level-headed douchebags like FlightyF

Ah, so someone enlightening you is a douchebag. I'm not surprised. NeoCons don't take education too kindly. I'm sure you find knowledge and factual information to be grating. It probably makes you shudder, and you close your eyes trying to block it out.

APF said:
Note what isn't there, the word "Zionist" which you believe was part of this quote. No, it did not say, "Zionist regime," nor did it explicitly say, "Jews." But how can the Jewish rule of the Jewish state be eliminated from the pages of history, without... killing the Jews?

How can you remove Saddam Hussein, without killing Muslims? What you're attempting to say is that this implies genocide. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, that wasn't my translation, I told you it was from MEMRI.

Now, this tells me clearly that you aren't even reading POSTS carefully, and you are obviously a very very confused person. I think your confusion translates into your whole worldview and paradigm of international politics.

APF said:
Note that by calling me a "Zionist" you are implying you would support me being "eliminated from history" or however Ahmadinejad put it. Fantastic.

But you aren't part of a "regime".

Clearly, you hare having issues understanding simple concepts. We got 5 people trying to talk some sense into you, and you repeatedly remain ignorant.

Either you do not have the intelligence to be rational, or you are remaining willfully ignorant. Take your pick.

APF said:
Oh, so just ethnic cleansing then. No biggie, thanks Mandark.

Yeah, like the ethnic cleansing in Iraq, right? Your so crazy. By crazy I mean dropped as a child down an escalator.

APF said:
Again, if Mandark has something to say, he shouldn't be afraid to say it. Just post whatever you're getting at, guy.

Well, I'll cut to the chase. You are attempting to claim that Ahmedinejad is advocating genocide. Your evidence? You have none.

End of story.

*does the ownage dance*

APF

FlightyF: you're missing the point, as usual. Why not stick to things you're good at, like crotch chopping and spitting?

The Stealth Fox

APF said:
I haven't changed anything; you just have a hard time reconciling what I'm actually saying--making an extremely small point--with some sort of caricature of my actual beliefs (see: FlightyF). That's not my problem, it's yours.
Clever. Just clever. I knew you'd respond like this. "No, YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME! I've been saying the same thing all along!" Do you want me to go post hunting?

I've said literally the same thing a hundred times, yet you for some reason believe my saying something I said 99 posts ago means I've "changed" my argument or "misled" someone. No; you just aren't able to follow my points because you're confused--you're thinking I'm arguing something I'm not, because rather than simply read what I'm saying (here's that irony again), you're addressing some straw man poster.

The fact that you changed your argument to a minor inconsequential point from an initial bold statement is something, you point shifting tool. "NO NO NO, THAT'S WHAT I REALLY MEANT". Well, certainly, that's not what you explicitly implied!

You should answer his god damn question first.

But this is vintage APF, debating ABOUT the debate rather than explicitly stating a position and confirming whether people have been representing him accurately. When someone asks "is my presentation of your argumetn correct?", you cowardly refuse to answer directly. Why is that?

I also find it funny that you accuse everyone in this thread of deliberately misrepresenting you (well of course, after point shifting lol), and yet you find no fault with yourself. Let me guess, you're going to attribute it to the "devouring nature" of GAF.

You could post your shit on the non partisan board and you'd still get the same damn reaction. "What the hell is your point?"

Walshicus

Humour aside though...

I'm quite the anti-Zionist myself. Allowing Israel to exist was the biggest mistake Britain ever made, and today we feel the consequences of that error. But I don't really think Iran's making life easy for itself. I see a complete lack of emphasis on the opposition to Zionism rather than Judaism from Iran, even though there'll be a few news stories burried deep about Ahmadinejad meeting and greeting anti-Zionist Jews. It's bad PR for a country which desperately needs it, and it would still play well with their domestic audience to make the change.

I think it's a lot easier here in Britain to actually be anti-Zionist without being labelled as an anti-semite [when we all know "semite" refers to more than just Jews]. I think circumstances have afforded the British a certain degree of guilt and remorse over the problems in Palestine, and that affects our "Joe Public" politics.

fart

Savant
Sir Fragula said:
If there's one thing that's great about Ahmadinejad it's the jackets he wears. They're all awesome. And he has some great photo moments too.
i want those fucking jackets holy shit.

APF AND THE TRAFFIC COP: A PLAY IN ONE SCENE

ENTER SCENE - A HIGHWAY IN AMERICA

APF drives along the highway in his red PONTIAC G6, mumbling to himself, unaware as his speedometer creeps upwards around the arc... Behind him, red and blue mars lights flash. He pulls over and opens his window as OFFICER MANDARK approaches.

OFFICER MANDARK: License and registration, please?

APF: Just say what you're going to say.

OFFICER MANDARK: Sir, I just said.. I need your license and registration.

APF: Don't be afraid to say what you mean, guy, just say it. I can handle it.

OFFICE MANDARK shakes his head in disbelief. APF tilts his head, hands at 10 and 2.

OFFICER MANDARK: Look, do you know how fast you were going?

APF: I'm not interested in being led along here. You can cut the chase and just tell me what you're getting at.

OFFICER MANDARK: Sir, I clocked you going 85 miles per hour. That's 20 miles per hour over the posted speed limit. That's a violation of the law. Now, it's also a violation of the law to fail to present me with your proof of auto licensing and registration, so please, make it easy on both of us and just hand those over.

APF: YOU WANT TO KILL ALL THE JEWS!!!

EXEUNT

The Stealth Fox

APF said:
So you're all basically retarded from reading this thread?

Cry me a freakin' river. I'm no liberal, I'm not out to devour you.

WAH WAH, you're all misrepresenting me! Well then, MAKE YOURSELF CLEAR BY ANSWERING MANDARK'S QUESTION!

But you know, in restating your claim, you'll probably point shift again so you make your claims even HARDER for anyone to analyze or object to.

APF

Here is the part of my post that started you guys' mental breakdown:

APF said:
Ahmadinejad isn't "notable" for his ideas or his ideology though; he's notable for being an also-ran gadfly who tries to gain political capital in his own country (and with hand-wringing left-liberal student-types) by repeating trite criticisms of US foreign policy and teasingly suggesting his country's pursuit of nuclear weapons may be in part to enable genocide.

Now, how has my argument shifted from this point? How am I not stating, explicitly, what I'm getting at? Explain.

The Stealth Fox

Then why were you disputing the whole "regime change" vs. extermination? You bitched a whole page about that!

Your claim is relatively harmless, LOL. Then you started bitching at FlightyF and GSG. Accusing people of double standars and whatnot, and starting insinuating things about other people.

Edit: If he's "teasingly suggesting genocide", then there's no fucking point to disputing anyone's interepretation of his comments. Because he doesn't mean it! So if someone beleived that he really didn't teasingly suggested genocide, but maybe that he wanted the regime gone, then WTF, so what? Why bitch?

fart

Savant
have you ever heard of fMRI, APF? the radio edit is that it can be used to identify "active" parts of the brain during exercising of cognitive processes. pretty cool huh? anyways, in some ways it's very fortuitous that you exist, because if we ever want to know which part of the brain produces ridiculous bullshit, we can just throw you in an imager and have you open your mouth.

ps, shut the fuck up.

regards,
-fart

APF

So basically yes; whenever I post something, it causes GAFers' critical facilities to disintegrate. Fascinating.

The Stealth Fox

APF said:
So basically yes; whenever I post something, it causes GAFers' critical facilities to disintegrate. Fascinating.

No, it's that you bitch irrelevantly, providing red herrings so people don't really know what your actual claim is.

fart

Savant
you can't argue with a bullshitter. it turns into an infuriating parade of fallacies and bashing heads against brick walls. you would be able to see that if you weren't so intellectually oblivious.

what you can do is make fun of him. sometimes it helps to dull the anger.

APF

The Stealth Fox said:
No, it's that you bitch irrelevantly, providing red herrings so people don't really know what your actual claim is.
No, I bitched because both of those posters (and you) created straw men because they wanted to attack me.

The Stealth Fox

APF said:
No, I bitched because both of those posters (and you) created straw men because they wanted to attack me.

No, you bitched because GSG wanted to assume regime change. You accused him of double standards, blah blah blah. Post hunting time!

APF said:
First off, here is Flighty's translation:

"[T]his regime that is occupying Qods [Jerusalem] must be eliminated from the pages of history"

Note what isn't there, the word "Zionist" which you believe was part of this quote. No, it did not say, "Zionist regime," nor did it explicitly say, "Jews." But how can the Jewish rule of the Jewish state be eliminated from the pages of history, without... killing the Jews? Simply invade their country and forcibly remove them? The credulity certain people want to give Ahmadinejad as being an honest and misunderstood speaker would be naive if it didn't largely come from the same Defense Squad this sort of spin always comes from, when it comes to people in a certain part of the world trying to tiptoe around what we all know they're thinking but they don't want to come right out and say in public because they realize they can have their cake and eat it too, with doucebags mindlessly defending obvious hints phrased in obvious ways for obvious benefit.

Yeah, *no one* thinks when people talk about war with Iran, that it will affect the people of Iran....

Why the hell bring this up if he's teasingly suggesting something? It ultimately doesn't matter what he means by a comment because it's a "tease", that is, it's meaningless!

APF

The Stealth Fox said:
No, you bitched because GSG wanted to assume regime change. You accused him of double standards, blah blah blah. Post hunting time!
Ok, prove me wrong.

The Stealth Fox

Oh and here's where I interfered (and misinterpreted your argument quickly, but that was cleared up within 3 or 4 posts because you weren't talking about translation, you were talking about interpretation), because this was absolutely out of line:

APF said:
Note, for example, that GSG Flash does not respect even close to the degree of nuance or benefit-of-doubt for Bush you Islamist Defense Force folks are pleading needs to be respected for Ahmadinejad. Note that none of you are allowing for Ahmadinejad to say one thing literally, while suggesting another thing figuratively, in the context of his buildup of nuclear weaponry, his country's constant back-and-forth of hostile diplomatic rhetoric towards Israel, his personal belief that the holocaust was a myth, his personal belief that Israel shouldn't exist--or at least, not where it stands, etc. The idea that I necessarily have to take at face value that he happens to be talking in hypothetical and lofty terms that have absolutely nothing to do with the obvious, just because I'm relying on other people's translations, is farcical. Note of course that these Columbia students will in large part have to rely on another person's translation, meaning from your perspective his talk there is useless in terms of communicating any sort of understanding.

This is where it obviously picked up. You yelled at people for assuming (what I believe to be) the simply most rational interpretation. You then whine about practicality, and then all of a sudden, you bring back your first post saying "oh, i'm not REALLY saying that, he's just teasing!".

fart

Savant
hi! i argue without logic or reason. the only invariant i hold myself to is that i'm right, no matter how hilariously vague or unsubstantiated my arguments might be. i. am. right.

NOW PROVE ME WRONG

APF

I'm not sure why that in particular is out of line, especially when I posted what could be considered more directly offensive things in this thread.

The Stealth Fox

APF said:
I'm not sure why that in particular is out of line, especially when I posted what could be considered more directly offensive things in this thread.

Best objection ever! :lol :lol

Anyway APF, I understand that this scuffle may have caused a bit of bad blood between us, but I want to let you know that I'm not retarded. I know what you said and I know why I got into this argument. I have admitted my initial errors, because I assumed it was one of translation and not of interpretation, but I'm not conceding anymore past that point. I still will agree with you some minor stances, such as the fact that some people really need to stop trashing America uncritically and so on.

APF

Hey cut me some slack; look at the amount of trolls popping out of nowhere I have to deal with or ignore.

Futureman

Sir Fragula said:
Anyone notice just how similar Ahmedinejad's eyes are to Bush's? Freaky.

Not just his eyes, I think he's like the exact Iranian equivalent of Bush. They are physically very similar looking. They also always seem to be smiling and joking most of the time.

FightyF

Banned
APF said:
FlightyF: you're missing the point, as usual. Why not stick to things you're good at, like crotch chopping and spitting?

What point did I miss?

Seriously, I'd love for you to answer this. I've clearly addressed all of your inane assertions. But I'd love to see what sort of nonsense you'll pull out this time.

Oh, and if you ever shoved me...
I'd do more than just spit on your face... :)

I just want to go on the record here...

APF, you are one of the dumbest people I have ever met. I've met people in real life, I've met people online. But out of all of them, you take the cake. Sure, there are some people I've met that are ignorant, and there are some that are straight up racist. But I'm not talking about those qualities. I'm talking about intelligence. I'm talking about how you lack it.

It's not just this particular topic, it's every topic you post in that I read. It's absolutely zany the number of times you abandon common sense, and that you rigorously hold onto fantasy ideals.

I liked the one in this thread though, it really epitomizes how downright dumb you are. You make a dubious claim, that Ahmedinejad entertains the idea of genocide. When asked for evidence, you have none. You attempted to use a statement he made in Persian, which you misunderstood. You even argue with native Persian speakers in this thread regarding the translation. At the same time, you demonstrate problems you have with the English language by thinking that "regime" refers to a race/ethnicity/religion of people. You then argue that a regime change is the same as ethnic cleansing, all the while forgetting your previous arguments in support of the regime change in Iraq. *shakes head* And then you claim that anyone who makes a clarification of his remarks, is part of an "Islamist Defense Force". Why? Because they understand a language better than you do.

I've never met anyone who debated a Persian translation with someone who could speak it. Never. Never seen anyone claim that regime = population. These sorts of things, I don't see in real life.

I've met uneducated people, but no one this clueless. I've met people who take a long time to understand some concepts, but I've never seen anyone have something explained to him by 5 other people, and still not understand in the span of 3 or 4 hours. And I'm talking about simple concepts such as "a "regime" is not the same as a "population of people who share the same religion".

There are people who make major contributions to society. There are people who make smaller contributions, and there are those who just wanna have fun and don't really care about making an impact on this World. But you are the first person that I can say without a doubt, are a crutch to society. That with people like yourself, with a willful and practiced ignorance, society is held back from progressing. That things like World peace and harmony are impossible dreams, as long as people like yourself are around.

Anyways...it had to be said. *shrugs* *smile* *teeth sparkle*

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
What better way to kick off your trip to the U.S. than presiding over a parade that calls for the death of your host!

20070922AhmadinejadDownWithUSA.jpg

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, 3rd left, and other dignitaries watch as military jeeps of the Iran Revolutionary Guards carry anti U.S. and anti Israel slogans during large-scale military parades ... on Saturday Sept. 22, 2007. (AP Photo/Hasan Sarbakhshian)

Via LGF:

Several Arabic-speaking readers have emailed to let me know that the slogan in Arabic script, above “Down with USA/Esrail,” actually says “DEATH to USA/Israel.”

Good thing he's getting the royal treatment:

Despite being roundly denounced from the White House to the mayor's office, Ahmadinejad will be treated like royalty, chauffeured around the city by the Secret Service, which, in tandem with the NYPD, will protect him until he leaves early Wednesday. His appearances at the U.N. and Columbia — which rescinded an invitation to Ahmadinejad last year after an uproar — are expected to draw large crowds of protesters.

The cost to taxpayers? Kim Bruce, a Secret Service agent, said she did not know how much her agency will spend. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he has no idea what it will cost New York. Whatever it is, he said, the federal government is supposed to pay for the protection of foreign political figures but seldom does.

While he is here, Ahmadinejad will be under the same travel restrictions as diplomats in the Iranian U.N. mission, said Kendal Smith, spokesman for the State Department's Bureau of Diplomatic Security. Iranian diplomats are free to travel up to 25 miles from midtown Manhattan. Any farther requires an exemption.

Will Ahmadinejad try to eat at one of New York's excellent Persian restaurants? A spokesman for Iran's U.N. mission said Ahmadinejad would fast during the day because of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan and would have no time to go to restaurants.

Some have used Ahmadinejad's visit to draw attention to this country's tradition of protecting free speech.

Futureman said:
Not just his eyes, I think he's like the exact Iranian equivalent of Bush. They are physically very similar looking. They also always seem to be smiling and joking most of the time.

Ahmadinejad would win in a math fight, though.

Walshicus

Propagandhim said:
Ahmadinejad would win in a maths fight, though.
I'd pay to see that; €5 on Setanta pay-per-view. I hear President Sarkozy persuaded Colonel Q'dafi to release those Hungarian nurses after besting him in a spelling contest.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Ignoring APF's bs and getting back to the actual topic at hand, will this speech be broadcast anywhere online or on TV? I would be very interested in watching it and listening to the answers he provides to the questions asked to him.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
GSG Flash said:
Ignoring APF's bs and getting back to the actual topic at hand, will this speech be broadcast anywhere online or on TV? I would be very interested in watching it and listening to the answers he provides to the questions asked to him.

someone is bound to film it. im sure it'll be youtubed. especially since its guaranteed to get a few hecklers in there.

APF

FlightyF: You've never actually met me... so... I'm not sure how to address your personal venom. Also, I didn't actually debate the translation... so... I think much of your post actually just verifies what I was saying, that you have no idea what I'm talking about and are trying to attack straw men. I'd also like to mention that, when these stories first came to press, your reaction was finding the rhetoric far more serious, and far more alarming, than concerns about Iran's nascent nuclear program. So... it appears as though you have a lot of soul searching to do... you know, in your black tormented heart, so full of rage and hate. Good luck with all that.

The Stealth Fox

*snore* this is still going on?

"this is still going on" is the code phrase for "stop repeating talking points over and over" (not directed at anyone per say, just a general group of ppl), which is really a code phrase for "stfu".

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
The Stealth Fox said:
*snore* this is still going on?

Stealth fox and fighty f, you both are the most annoying/ignorant/ad hominem abusive/straw men abusive/childish/linear GAFfers I've ever encountered. APF was basically making some points of this subject, but instead you and fightyf personally attack him with ad hominems and childish mockery. The both of you make this evident in your replies.

The both you shouldn't even debate on any particular subject since you guys suck at reading comprehension, logic, and making sense out of an argument. Is there anyone here in GAF that can dissect someones argument and make some sense out of it as well as take valid criticisms from their own arguemnts instead resorting to personal attacks as a reaction?

The Stealth Fox

Verano said:
Stealth fox and fighty f, you both are the most annoying/ignorant/ad hominem abusive/straw men abusive/childish/linear GAFfers I've ever encountered. APF was basically making some points of this subject, but instead you and fightyf personally attack him with ad hominems and childish mockery. The both of you make this evident in your replies.

The both you shouldn't even debate on any particular subject since you guys suck at reading comprehension, logic, and making sense out of an argument. Is there anyone here in GAF that can dissect someones argument and make some sense out of it as well as take valid criticisms from their own arguemnts instead resorting to personal attacks as a reaction?

APF said:

I've only exchanged one really abusive post with APF, and that's because I got tired of being victimized by embedded insults.

Yes, I'm using the "He started it!" argument. So put a plague on all of our houses, please. And if you read my posts "CAREFULLY", I did do a critical self-analysis of my own arguments as well as analyzed what I believed to be subtle point shifting.

Sounds like you just want to be a partisan hack and take sides. "APF the brilliant misunderstood human being" vs "Oh all those Muzzzlammmics can do is apply personal attacks!" I don't know how long you've contributed to political discourse on GAF, but it's pretty standard to embed personal attacks into your posts while accurately and concisely conveying an argument.

And finally, please don't claim crap about me without actual citations please. Where exactly was this lack of logic? Do you understand the scope of the topic at hand, and why we made the comments we did? I carefully worded every one of my posts after I got the gist of his argument (well, before he brought in the original "coyly teasing" post, which changed the general discussion from what he meant to what he implied to what the actual implications were to what the purpose of saying these things were). So I don't know if he was INTENTIONALLY point shifting, but he was certainly altering the scope of the discussion to a more "less-controversial" form. Hence my final statements about "Why bitch about what regime change/obliteration/erase/whatever meant in the first place then if he's just teasing to gain political points?" If Ahmadinejad was toying with the idea of nuking jews or using proxies to undermine the Israel govt, what does it matter, because if he's "coyly toying", then it's 95% likely he isn't going to act on his words, whatever he actually means lol. So there really was no ultimate point about whining about GSG's interpretation of his comments. He's just trying to score political points in the end!

So I'm putting a plague on your house too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom