• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comcast and AT&T say you shouldn’t worry about gutting of internet privacy rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

Comcast and AT&T published blog posts this morning responding to the backlash they’ve been receiving since Congress voted to revoke a strong set of internet privacy rules that would have prevented internet providers from using or sharing their customers’ web browsing history without permission. The companies take very different approaches when responding, but the takeaway from both is that they think customers should stop worrying.

Comcast takes the friendlier approach and actually makes some basic commitments to customers. “We do not sell our broadband customers’ individual web browsing history,” writes Gerard Lewis, Comcast’s chief privacy officer. “We did not do it before the FCC’s rules were adopted, and we have no plans to do so.”

AT&T’s response has the same message at its core, but the tone couldn’t be more different: it’s standoffish and argumentative, with AT&T’s public policy chief, Bob Quinn, trying explain why nothing has changed and the FCC was wrong in the first place.

“The Congressional action had zero effect on the privacy protections afforded to consumers,” Quinn writes. “It is also flatly untrue that the Congressional action eliminated all legal protections governing use of consumer information.”

okp66FD.gif

pa22word

Wasn't it Israel that wanted to adopt soccer style uniform ads for politicians taking money from corps?

I wonder how many people voting for this bill would have ATT + comcast in 50pt font on their backs voted for this trash?

For some reason I don't believe them.

That they're not selling your specific web history? They probably aren't. Can't imagine that kind of raw data having that much value, only after being digested. And i wouldn't think it would be a good business practice to sell raw data for others to analyse when you can do that yourself and sell it to a lot more people than if it were raw.

Sophia

AT&T's response is incredibly pathetic, given the nature of this topic.

Comcast is better, and actually slightly reassuring that they do point out that they've never sold a consumer's web browsing history before. Still... : \

AT&T jumped on board the snooping for the government train after 9/11 and were given retroactive immunity. They also work with the NSA and have a building in the east coast were they route all data through for the NSA. That AT&T says I shouldn't worry about privacy? Lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah well that was a very different FCC.

no, sorry, I'm not sure I was clear:

1: FCC has no rule against collecting/selling customer info. AT&T collects/sells customer info. If you want to opt out, you pay $20+ extra a month.

2. Because of this, FCC signals it is going to ban collecting/selling customer info. AT&T discontinues doing so.

3. Congress blocks rule from taking effect.

The clear future is that AT&T will resume collecting/selling customer info, and you will "get a discount" in the sense that if you opt out from having your info sold, you will pay extra.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That AT&T response...I mean, come on.

styl3s

Comcast has also been telling me not to worry about my bill for the last 10 years yet i find myself having to call them every single month to deal with bullshit charges/raises in price.

I'll never believe your bullshit CC.

AndyD

aka andydumi
"Rather, we sell it as a package deal."

Indeed. That said they have their own ad network, and a giant monopoly, so more than likely they would make more money selling directly to advertisers than selling your info to other ad networks.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yea fuck you. I can't wait till my area gets another ISP. Later this year hopefully I can switch over to a satellite service.

ISPs are so friggin obnoxious

They are. Now they can sell customer data to whoever they want as I understand. It's going to be a no holds barred scenario.

We pretty much have locked ourselves in a cage with this current administration. We will have no privacy and no options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom