• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 11/24/10. The Good Soldier, Ultimate Ten, & the Bloodsucking Alien.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, loved detective comics, but a quick question about the gordon backup:

Who the heck was that person with the big reveal at the end? Gordon's son???

KidDork

Anyone else get a GOTHAM CENTRAL vibe off DETECTIVE? Needless to say, I loved it.

And I'm in the dark as much as you are, Wabbit, concerning the Gordon back-up.

wenis said:
AWWWWW yeah
barf.jpg

Fortunately the art in Vampirella is better than that cover. Sorry kids, I've got no respect for a hack that leaves his creator owned book because he wants to make duh vidya games. Then they have the audacity to release that incomplete shit at a premium price?

How about no.

Better yet.

How about you finish that bullshit and consider that absurd price point the tax your gullible fans will pay for your Capcom homage/swipe wankfest?

Sorry, enough negativity. I hope Dynamite does better by Vampi than Harris and the last license holder did. Harris did an okay job in the 90's, but the last license holder was awful. The character has a history of amazing Spanish artists working on the book (check out the Vampirella archives Dynamite is reprinting), and the crap that got pooped out by that company was embarrassing. Granted not all of it was bad, unfortunately the bad far outweighed the good.

comic112410.jpg

This week was quite an awesome haul, made all the more awesome by the Rocketeer Deluxe Edition my comic shop obtained for me. :3

Also didn't realize Weird War Tales got a one shot re-appearance! Of all the war comics my step brother had, Weird War Tales was always my favorite.

Snagged the Jeff Smith Shazam trade for 50% off. OH YEAH BROTHER~!

The Take Out Bandit said:
Also didn't realize Weird War Tales got a one shot re-appearance! Of all the war comics my step brother had, Weird War Tales was always my favorite.

That was a great one shot. Hitler special guest appearance was hilarious.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Fortunately the art in Vampirella is better than that cover. Sorry kids, I've got no respect for a hack that leaves his creator owned book because he wants to make duh vidya games. Then they have the audacity to release that incomplete shit at a premium price?

How about no.

Better yet.

How about you finish that bullshit and consider that absurd price point the tax your gullible fans will pay for your Capcom homage/swipe wankfest?

Sorry, enough negativity. I hope Dynamite does better by Vampi than Harris and the last license holder did. Harris did an okay job in the 90's, but the last license holder was awful. The character has a history of amazing Spanish artists working on the book (check out the Vampirella archives Dynamite is reprinting), and the crap that got pooped out by that company was embarrassing. Granted not all of it was bad, unfortunately the bad far outweighed the good.

I bought it because it was a tentacle monster fighting Vampirella... It just happened to have a pretty cool story start inside :lol

wenis

Anyone else get a little mistyeyed reading the new ASM, when May talks to Ben? Because I did...

WascallyWabbit said:
Ok, loved detective comics, but a quick question about the gordon backup:

Who the heck was that person with the big reveal at the end? Gordon's son???
I'm not sure what the specifics are, but from the opening internal monologue I took it to be a case that he never got over for some reason or another.

Also, what part does everything think the birds are gonna play in the arc? There were vultures at Dick's penthouse, on the roof of GCPD, and obviously twice in the backup.

I'm very excited for the rest of their run.

Quick question for anyone that wants to answer:

Does anyone double dip on singles and collecteds assuming the collected is the same size as the singles, or is it more of a one-or-the-other deal?

I mostly do one or the other, but if it's a series or story arc I really enjoyed I'll double-dip. Case in point, Rucka/Williams 'Detective' run starring Batwoman.

wenis

I don't like lending out floppies so I end up double dipping for my most favored / lendable series so that the floppies can stay in the box :lol

vazel said:
This is a really good deal.

http://i.imgur.com/vkQ9n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's not until it reflects on the iPad app or something similar in the future. I can't read comics, other than webcomics, on any monitor.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Odious Tea said:
Batman-Prime?
I guess it will be a sort of Batman-Prime like the Clark Kent in SI was loosely based on Prime... Btw his name will be Bruce Wainwright.

Boonoo

Mistouze said:
I am HYPE!

Kurt Busiek is writing a Batman centric thematic sequel to Superman : Secret Identity. The Title is Batman : Creature Of The Night. Here's an interview of Kurt Busiek fom Newsarama.

DC, now is time to sollicit a reprint of Secret Identity.

Oh shit! Nice. I've been hoping for a SI reprint for along time now. The short interview about the Batman book makes it sound pretty promising.

I haven't read any books with John Paul Leon on them, but it looks like he'll be good for it.

JCX

Odious Tea said:
It's not until it reflects on the iPad app or something similar in the future. I can't read comics, other than webcomics, on any monitor.

Dang, I was just going to ask if there was an android app for this.

Guys, looks like IDW reprinted The Rocketeer Deluxe Edition hardcover.

It's a pretty significant volume, check it out.

Also :O at the latest Savage Dragon. :lol

Erik Larsen so crazy!

vazel

Banned
Guys, looks like IDW reprinted The Rocketeer Deluxe Edition hardcover.

It's a pretty significant volume, check it out.
OH FUCK YES THANK YOU GOD FOR ANSWERING MY PRAYERS AND FUCK YOU SPECULATORS

vazel said:
OH FUCK YES THANK YOU GOD FOR ANSWERING MY PRAYERS AND FUCK YOU SPECULATORS

Heh heh, I still haven't gotten around to opening my copy; so I can't confirm if it's another printing. Unfortunately IDW hasn't said squat about this reprint. Nothing on their site mentioning it. A pretty egregious lack of publicity if you ask me.

I don't know if it's speculators or if it was just significant demand for this collection. I've noticed a lot of hardcovers just go out of print and prices skyrocket. So you need to shop around. Online the Titans collections go for North of $100 last I checked. I managed to track down copies at retail and get them at a discount to boot. :D

Either way, get to it while the getting is good. :3

CBD! 11/24/10 - Standouts

Action Comics #895 - As unrelentingly British as Paul Cornell gets in the Knight and Squire mini he's currently writing, he seems to deeply understand Luthor and and what propels him. Also, robo-lois continues to give me the screaming heebie-jeebies. The star of the show, however, continues to be the Nick Spencer penned Jimmy Olsen backup. This is the only backup that I'll mess heading into January where DC will axe them in favor of the $2.99 price tag.
Amazing Spider-Man #649 - After the home run that was last issues introduction to Spidey's new status quo "Big Time" wherein he has a new girlfriend, new job, and new luck Slott starts his first arc featuring the Hobgoblin. While we thought it would be Roderick Kingsley again under the Kingpin's thumb, he was quickly and awesomely usurped by Ben Urich's nephew, Phil. Slott deftly moves us along and cleanly lays down seeds that will be ripe for the picking when he chooses to utilize them. Ramos' art is consistently great, just so long as Peter isn't in costume; Ramos does an exceptional job at having Peter and other normal people emote but as soon as Pete gets that webbed suit on, it feels like something is lost in translation. I certainly don't hate Ramos' work but he's got room for improvement on one of the more important facets of the book, drawing Spider-Man.
Batman and Robin #17 - I like Cornell on Action, but the tone of this issue throughout was way weird. Everything felt, I don't know, off. Especially the art, Grayson was drawn tinily and Damian was practically the same size, but a decade younger. Under Morrison, Batman and Robin was one of the most consistently incredible books. Although, I can understand that they probably did this under rather short notice, considering that they're just doing a fill-in arc. Hopefully Cornell and company are just getting their bearings and are hunkering down for next month.
Batwoman #0 - In a week as heavy as this one where there's an outpouring of absolute quality, it's usually incredibly difficult for me to make a pick. Hell, even on a light week I'm deliberating between a few different books. But sometimes you set yourself down for a read and you just say, "Fuck. This is it. This is why I read comics." and that's exactly what happened. J.H. Willaims III is playing both sides of the ball as he pens and draws the issue. Probably with the same pen. He also brought a favorite of mine, Amy Reeder, along for the ride. In this issue there's a unique and effective trope used, where Williams draws all of the Batwoman sequences and Reeder draws all of the Kat Kane (Batwoman's secret identity). And the best part of the entire thing? This is just a zero issue. A prelude. The real thing is still forthcoming. Hopefully Williams and Reader continue to team up and trade-off, they seem to play off each other well.
Detective Comics #871 - This is just unfair. Putting one of my favorite writers together with one of the best artists and giving them Batman. And not only Batman, but Dick Grayson as Gotham's Batman. I'm used enough to Snyder's writing from American Vampire that I know to be aware and actively scrutinize, not only the words but things that are beautifully littered around the pages by Jock. The only place where this book faltered was in the backup and that fault lays squarely on the shoulders of Snyder, his writing was a little too decompressed for the story he had eight pages to tell; it was unclear who the man on the camera and who the boy in the closet were. But that's an incredibly minor quibble, especially when you have the art of one Francesco Francavilla to ogle at. All of the pages are largely one-colored with a moody feel to them. Snyder promised a Detective Comics with a focus on Gotham and how it consumes whoever dons the mantle of the bat, and he's done so beautifully. Detective Comics with a focus on Gotham and how it consumes whoever dons the mantle of the bat, and he's done so expertly.
Fantastic Four #585 - Reed taking a vacation with Galactus can't be a good idea! Of course thing's will start going down while Thing isn't Thing. And who really thought things were going to proceed as planned with Namor? That egocentric sonofab likes to kill things. Hickman continues to pace excellently and Epting is getting better issue by issue. The Galactus scene that he drew truly demonstrates the scope that Hickman embodies in his writing. Can't wait to see who dies. And for how long they'll stay gone.
Justice League: Generation Lost #14 - If I'm a sucker for anything, it's future stuff. And after the proceedings of the previous issue where Captain Atom is wanted for murder, the future is exactly where he gets flung. This is the second time to the future, #6. It seems writer Judd Winnick loves the future as much as I do. I could go on for paragraphs about what great choices Winnick made in creating these future Leaguers. Off panel is a future Kara Zor-El, Power Girl. There were also allusions to a future space war involving the Green Lanterns and Supes, at first I took it to be a teaser for the upcoming War of the Green Lanterns event; but I don't think the timing matches up. I wouldn't be surprised if this issue will be my favorite of the series.
Teen Titans #89 - Remember when I said that Jock draws the ever-living fuck out of everything, Nicola Scott does that -- except more. More often, I find myself following books by writer rather than artist, but there's a short-list of artists that can elavate something barely interesting into something I can sit and marvel at for minutes on-end. Stuart Immonen and Francis Manapul are on this list. Nicola Scott is so incredibly close to making that list. If she continues on this path, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up doing Wonder Woman after the JMS nonsense is done and over with.
Thor: The Mighty Avenger #6 - This is the most emotional, intelligent, entertaining and heartwarming Thor book is this. And this has been cancelled. It's not often that I'm reduced to nothing but mere epithets. But in this case: fuck.
Uncanny X-Force #2 - This is my first X-Force book (except for the Second Coming stuff that I read, but that barely counts since it was all one large story). I love it. Opena's linework is absolutely jaw-dropping. Remender expertly chose his cast and writes them to perfection, especially the lovably batshit insane Deadpool. Maybe I'm just an easy mark, but the appeal of a rag-tag splinter group running shady black-ops as a side-gig. Opena's work makes it easy to tell who's who, even while they're in space suits. As much as I love what Way's been doing with Deadpool, Remender handles him so well; constantly towing the line between uselessly chatty to genuinely funny and more importantly a formidable part of the team. Two issues in and this creative team has a permanent spot on my pull list.

Awards!

Cover: Detective Comics #871 (It almost lost to Batwoman #0's Amy Reeder variant!)
Moment: Future Power Girl revealing that future Bat-armored Damian Wayne is 131 years old due to Lazarus Pit usage in Justice League: Generation Lost #14.
Quote: "Listen to you, Lieutenant Mean-Mouth Von Badass. Very authorative." Wolverine says to Archangel in Uncanny X-Force #2 just after Archangel explains the X-Force is now their burden. Written by Rick Remender.
Panel: Thor: The Mighty Avenger #6
Pick: Batwoman #0

Whew! This was an excellent week! I've also started posting these on a Tumblr I made for personal archival, which is here for anyone that cares. See you gentlemen next week!

Tom_Cody

Millar & Gibbons Team For Mystery Comic

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29628

Mark Millar said:
His talent is just on a different level from the rest of us and following in the footsteps of Alan Moore and Frank Miller as his collaborator is daunting to say the least. I wrote to him when I was in high school suggesting we team up on a Shazam project, sending him a five-page, hand-written outline in the hope that he'd like to follow 'Watchmen' by working with, er, me. I still have his letter and I still have the sketch he drew for me when I waited three hours in line for him to sign my 'Watchmen' trade paperback at the age of 17. As you can imagine, I couldn't be more thrilled that we're finally working together on this special project. It's literally a lifelong ambition and I want to make this as great as it possibly can be.

Dave Gibbons said:
I have absolutely no memory of the young Mark Millar writing to me but I'm pleased I gave him a civil reply, since I've followed the boy's work from his earliest professional days with a growing admiration for his talents. Foolishly, I turned down his wonderful Elseworlds 'Red Son,' being busy on other stuff at the time, and ever since have looked for the opportunity to work with him, as much his fan as he ever was mine. I relentlessly bugged my local comic shop owner to tell me whenever a new copy of 'The Ultimates' was expected and have been grabbing all his recent Millarworld titles off the shelf the day they appear. I'm thrilled to be finally working with Mark and to be launching our project in such grand style.

I'm pretty excited about this.

vazel

Banned
Heh heh, I still haven't gotten around to opening my copy; so I can't confirm if it's another printing. Unfortunately IDW hasn't said squat about this reprint. Nothing on their site mentioning it. A pretty egregious lack of publicity if you ask me.

I don't know if it's speculators or if it was just significant demand for this collection. I've noticed a lot of hardcovers just go out of print and prices skyrocket. So you need to shop around. Online the Titans collections go for North of $100 last I checked. I managed to track down copies at retail and get them at a discount to boot. :D

Either way, get to it while the getting is good. :3
I'm just pissed at the publisher for having limited availability as a selling point. I'm glad IDW decided to reprint even though they said it would never be reprinted.

Edit: Ugh this kind of talk pisses me off.
They've maybe picked up some more sales in the short term, but in the process of hurting those of us who foresaw the shortage of this book months before release and invested in some extras, they've lost future sales on any "limited editions" they solicit.
http://www.amazon.com/cant-believe-...ding=UTF8&s=books&asin=1600105378&store=books

vazel said:
I'm just pissed at the publisher for having limited availability as a selling point. I'm glad IDW decided to reprint even though they said it would never be reprinted.

Well they already went back on that with the second printing a while back.

Honestly, IDW isn't Marvel or DC and the Rocketeer isn't Batman. It's understandable this would have a limited run. There's also the Artist's Edition and Standard Edition too.

Yeah, f*ck those guys.

This is why I look forward to digital comics. It will help to further devalue their nerd battleship. Not to say I wouldn't buy stuff in print, I just wouldn't be wasting as much money and space on crap like Thunderstrike which I just bought for the novelty. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom