• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Ponn

Banned
ohhhh no.

I could never lend my books out like that

Hahaha, I have to though to educate my friends and family. When GoTG was first announced my one friend was like

who.gif

So I had to dump some GoTG and Annihilation, Conquest trades on him and yell 'READ THESE!!' Most of my books come back, some I upgrade like when I upgraded to Sinestro Corps War Absolute edition and I told my friend who had my HC's to just keep them and merry christmas.

Zombine

Banned
Slowly bringing the startup guide into 2016. Got sidetracked by Squirrel Girl.

Comic recommendation list was a mess.

VanWinkle

Man, God of Thunder is the real deal. Aaron is killing it so far. Gorr is probably the most interesting comic book villain I've read in a while. So, so good.

It's amazing. I've only read the first oversized hardcover (containing The God Butcher and Godbomb), but it is just sublime.

I can't..I feel dirty throwing out a piece of something I bought. What if I want to re sell? It's technically incomplete.

So let's say you pick up a KFC bucket for dinner tonight, hypothetically speaking. You hanging on to those chicken bones?

Dust jackets are the bones. Refuse.

Ponn

Banned
So let's say you pick up a KFC bucket for dinner tonight, hypothetically speaking. You hanging on to those chicken bones?

Dust jackets are the bones. Refuse.

Wouldn't the proper analogy be getting a box of KFC chicken and then throwing away the skin? What kind of mad person would throw away KFC chicken skin?? Not someone I would trust.

I ate the bones!

Yummy.

Silly Tragic. The bones would be the binding. Dust jacket would be the skin. Get your shit together.

You hate dust.

Wouldn't the proper analogy be getting a box of KFC chicken and then throwing away the skin? What kind of mad person would throw away KFC chicken skin?? Not someone I would trust.

In fairness, it was a terrible analogy. More a response to him saying he doesn't like to throw away things he pays for. Then I went off the deep end.

I forget that people actually do resell their comics. Madness, but you'd definitely want to keep the cover.

Comixology: No Dust Jackets Necessary!

Zombine

Banned
Dang. I never thought of it like that.

If dust jackets worked like covers that turn into stands, that'd be sweet.

Brb plugging my book into the wall

But yeah...is Squirrel Girl X Wolverine the strangest ship ever? She's in college now. He would kind of be like her Daddy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

But yeah...is Squirrel Girl X Wolverine the strangest ship ever? She's in college now. He would kind of be like her Daddy.

As if the age difference between Logan and his eternal waifu was any less creepy when it started

TheFlow

Banned
Hahaha, I have to though to educate my friends and family. When GoTG was first announced my one friend was like

who.gif

So I had to dump some GoTG and Annihilation, Conquest trades on him and yell 'READ THESE!!' Most of my books come back, some I upgrade like when I upgraded to Sinestro Corps War Absolute edition and I told my friend who had my HC's to just keep them and merry christmas.
You are a true bro

That seems like it would be a fire hazard.

Shipping Squirrel Girl in general is weird. Especially because she looks so different in Unbeatable compared to everything else where she's more sexed-up and it's a bit odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KuDPfTfw6w

ew. Cases on phones/tablets. Next thing you'll tell me is that you have a screen protector on there.

How did I forget this?

My tablet has a thin case but my phone's got nuthin', because it's one of those Chinese budget phones so no good cases exist.

I ate my Howard the Duck trade one broke and lonely Christmas Eve :( It was gamey.

Crispy duck is one of my favourite things to get at the Chinese. Probably better than eating a Rocket Raccoon trade anyway.

Zombine

Banned
As if the age difference between Logan and his eternal waifu was any less creepy when it started

Totally forgot about this.

You know what else was running through my mind today...great stand alone issues of comics. What are some of your favorite single issues of a comic with an open and closed story?

I think that Waid's Daredevil is the GOAT of single issue stories. The one that stands out to me the most is Daredevil #30:

3252913-30.jpg

The cover speaks for itself. Silver Surfer goes to Daredevil for help, and a street level cosmic adventure takes place over 20-something pages. We get aliens, Daredevil on the surfboard, and some awesome set pieces. It's just a nice story that I read over and over again.

255007006b74db1c952885e17e99975b.jpg

What are some of your favorite single issues of a comic with an open and closed story?

Two from Exiles:
- The one where they get a week off and while the rest of the team wants to head to a nude beach, Mariko gets told to take Morph out so the rest can relax. There's some obvious cheesecake bits when they go lingerie shopping, but there's a whole awesome sequence where Morph admits that he's crushin' on her and she lets him down
and also tells him she's gay.
They have a lovely moment where they talk like adults. Not much else happens. It gave me the feels back then.
- The one where they buy a danish. The man who wanted the danish was called Rube Goldberg. You can guess where this one is going. Full-on butterfly effect but still really funny.

Also, the issue of JLA where the Hal Jordan Spectre takes them on a tour of people's inner minds, eventually ending up
inside The Joker's brain
while Hal and Zauriel have a big debate about vigilantism and how Hal feels Zauriel has abandoned heaven (or whatever they called where The Presence was).

ew. Cases on phones/tablets. Next thing you'll tell me is that you have a screen protector on there.

Screen protectors seem pointless with gorilla glass, but cases are a must. I have a five year old son. This sucker is perfect: slim, light, and has saved my phone twice now. I'm not going nude with a $750 device. I think most people with young kids know the value of a case.

They have the worst binding for their books. Practically nonexistent IMO

What's holding the pages together?

Sandfox

Screen protectors seem pointless with gorilla glass, but cases are a must. I have a five year old son. This sucker is perfect: slim, light, and has saved my phone twice now. I'm not going nude with a $750 device. I think most people with young kids know the value of a case.

What's holding the pages together?

nobody knows.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Starbrand and Nightmask #1 was very alright, I quite enjoyed it. I assume its already canceled of course.

Zombine

Banned
Two from Exiles:
- The one where they get a week off and while the rest of the team wants to head to a nude beach, Mariko gets told to take Morph out so the rest can relax. There's some obvious cheesecake bits when they go lingerie shopping, but there's a whole awesome sequence where Morph admits that he's crushin' on her and she lets him down
and also tells him she's gay.
They have a lovely moment where they talk like adults. Not much else happens. It gave me the feels back then.
- The one where they buy a danish. The man who wanted the danish was called Rube Goldberg. You can guess where this one is going. Full-on butterfly effect but still really funny.

Also, the issue of JLA where the Hal Jordan Spectre takes them on a tour of people's inner minds, eventually ending up
inside The Joker's brain
while Hal and Zauriel have a big debate about vigilantism and how Hal feels Zauriel has abandoned heaven (or whatever they called where The Presence was).

Great picks! Another GOAT issue is the Doop issue of X-Statix. That is an amazing issue.

Hagi

I can't remember the number off the top of my head but one of my favourite issues is the Daredevil issue with him and the blind kids getting caught in a snow storm. I love Waids run to bits but that issue stands out to me.

Anybody in here that can help this dude out?

This is a bit of a long shot, but it's been annoying me for years. Bear with me here because this is a memory I'm pulling from when I was around 4-5 years old.

In the UK, somewhere around 93/94 there was a comic available in Newsagents that was fantasy oriented. I think it was black and white although I could be wrong about that.

Everytime I think about it I think 'Lord of the Rings', but it wasn't that. There was something to do with monsters, maybe someone hunting them?

The thing I remember specifically was that there was some dude in a forest, either running away from or confronting a monster. It was definitely some sort of series and not a one off.

I know this is vague but if someone could help purge the not knowing I would be grateful.

Top Bottom