• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

TheFlow

Banned
I'm really angry that no comic shops in Stockholm have had the Annihilation/Conquest/Guardians of the Galaxy omnibuses ever.

Luckily I'll be in NYC for a few days starting the 20/7 so I'll be able to swing by a place like Midtown or Forbidden Planet and grab them. How's the quality of the omnibuses if anyone owns them btw?

you must plan to pay a lot for annihilation

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Guardians_DnA.jpg

Man this has me wanting to start Conquest!

Man, I miss the real Guardians of the Galaxy

Stupid movie

Funny thing is the second movie may bring GoG back closer to where you want them.

you must plan to pay a lot for annihilation
My father is going on a business trip to a few movie studios and is paying for the tickets(he's staying for a few weeks more to travel to a few more cities). I'm mainly planning on grabbing the GotG omnibus if any shop has it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My father is going on a business trip to a few movie studios and is paying for the tickets(he's staying for a few weeks more to travel to a few more cities). I'm mainly planning on grabbing the GotG omnibus if any shop has it.
Amazon is no option?

They really make two Omnis out of War of the Kings o_O

I've thought about it but for my first real omnibus I want to hold it in my hands before buying it. I'll probably thus only get DnA!GotG in NYC and others later with Amazon etc.

You're definitely going to pay more at physical retail than buying online. I understand wanting to see it before buying, though. Especially with Amazon's packaging standards.

Matchew

Some how CW made a damn good show with the Flash and I want more, but I'm completely lost on where to begin with him with comics. Can someone tell me a good starting point for the Flash or any good side stories. Thanks

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Some how CW made a damn good show with the Flash and I want more, but I'm completely lost on where to begin with him with comics. Can someone tell me a good starting point for the Flash or any good side stories. Thanks

Flash Rebirth is starting off and it's been decent, but avoid everything from the New 52 Flash

You're definitely going to pay more at physical retail than buying online. I understand wanting to see it before buying, though. Especially with Amazon's packaging standards.
I know. I had a nasty experience with volume 1 of Journey Into Mystery last year that I ordered online from pretty much the only comic shop in Stockholm but luckily I could get a new one from them for free when I went into town.

Bleeding Cool: Swipe File on the newest issue of Uncanny Inhumans and W.I.T.C.H.

Flash by Geoff Johns and Flash by Morrison/Millar are excellent. I'd go for those.

The Morrison/Millar stuff is collected in a single volume physically and digitally. I think the Johns stuff is collected into volumes on Comixology too.

TheFlow

Banned
Kodansha USA Announces 35th Anniversary Set for Akira Manga
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-for-akira-manga-vinland-saga-book-8/.100858
The Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set will include a box set of volumes 1-6, plus the "Akira Club" art book, in large hardcover format. The art will be uncut and unaltered, and will be in the original right-to-left reading format for the first time with the original Japanese sound effects with endnote translations. The set will retail for US$199.99 and Kodansha Comics plans to release the set next year.

Flow-lol, glad I waited. now my shelf going to be looking real nice next year

Sou Da

Let's all ignore my garbage camera quality and check out how I filled my Planetary and Snyder Batman gaps in the same day for only $6 at a yard sale.

iaZ3Y0z.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-for-akira-manga-vinland-saga-book-8/.100858
The Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set will include a box set of volumes 1-6, plus the "Akira Club" art book, in large hardcover format. The art will be uncut and unaltered, and will be in the original right-to-left reading format for the first time with the original Japanese sound effects with endnote translations. The set will retail for US$199.99 and Kodansha Comics plans to release the set next year.

We talked about this when it was announced but it sounds like a nice set. Probably won't pick it up myself though.
Yes, those are the ones I was talking about. You actually picked a great time to get into Flash with these stories being collected into new trades lol. They're also releasing Mark Waid's run into new trades later this year which is supposed to be very good too.

I've never read Akira but I've wanted to. I'm definitely interested.

tumblr_n49moabizF1sqfa0vo1_400.gif

Hagi

That's a really good price and I'm glad it comes with Akira Club. Really looking forward to picking it up next year.

I said fuck it. You convinced me to go with IST for DnA!GotG instead(it's cheaper). My purchases in NYC will have to be smaller/lighter things like a Pokémon plush.

Power Man and Iron Fist #5
This reminds me of stuff like "Legends of the Dark Knight" from Batman: The Animated Series and such. I really liked it. Walker continuing to do god's work.

Uncanny X-Men #9
Is Lashley's art getting more and more cartoonish or is it just me? Anyways, the art continues to make this book more enjoyable, but I still have no idea what this Apoc storyline is going for and I have no interest in Monet and the Morlock shit. At least Mystique is refreshing. Lashley is keeping this book from being a complete bore. God save us when Land comes back.

Ponn

Banned
I said fuck it. You convinced me to go with IST for DnA!GotG instead(it's cheaper). My purchases in NYC will have to be smaller/lighter things like a Pokémon plush.

Good choice. I order all of my omnibuses, Absolutes and HC's from them and thats exactly where i got my GoTG omnibus from them. I've already read all the stories in it already through floppies or trades but it was really nice to have it all collected. There is just so much content in that thing its ridonculous. My only real complaint is the paper stock for Marvel omnibus are super thin and i'm really scared when handling them. I already have a rip in my AoA omnibus dust jacket just from taking it off the shelf. Just handle it with care and read it in a solid place like a table or desk. IST ships super well packed so don't worry about damage during shipping. My only other odd complaint is that they include Thanos Imperative in this while it comes after War of Kings making the reading order a little wonky.

Definitely try to get ahold of the Annihilation and Conquest Omnibuses now and while the whole War of Kings thing wasn't held in very high regards I enjoyed it all so I would suggest picking up that Omnibus when it comes out. I mean, it has freaking Darkhawk for crying out loud!!

Black Panther #18: Damn, I was actually beginning to like Ross.
Good thing Nikki beat the shit out of him.
And holy shit at T'Challa
nationalising everything!

Good choice. I order all of my omnibuses, Absolutes and HC's from them and thats exactly where i got my GoTG omnibus from them. I've already read all the stories in it already through floppies or trades but it was really nice to have it all collected. There is just so much content in that thing its ridonculous. My only real complaint is the paper stock for Marvel omnibus are super thin and i'm really scared when handling them. I already have a rip in my AoA omnibus dust jacket just from taking it off the shelf. Just handle it with care and read it in a solid place like a table or desk. IST ships super well packed so don't worry about damage during shipping. My only other odd complaint is that they include Thanos Imperative in this while it comes after War of Kings making the reading order a little wonky.

Definitely try to get ahold of the Annihilation and Conquest Omnibuses now and while the whole War of Kings thing wasn't held in very high regards I enjoyed it all so I would suggest picking up that Omnibus when it comes out. I mean, it has freaking Darkhawk for crying out loud!!
Yeah, we should bug Marvel/Brevoort with our requests for reprinting Omnibuses! We could say it's because we are big MCU fans and not comic readers who just want to own physical books with our favorite arcs! :D

TheFlow

Banned

I ripped two pages overall with my usagi books which are worth hundreds, but my marvel books feel indestructible. One thing I learned is to take the dust jackets off when reading and carrying around the house. less likely to rip

Ponn

Banned
I ripped two pages overall with my usagi books which are worth hundreds, but my marvel books feel indestructible. One thing I learned is to take the dust jackets off when reading and carrying around the house. less likely to rip

Thanks thats good advice. I should just leave the dust jackets off period and store them somewhere safe. I have a habit of letting people use my collection like a library and while I don't usually have a problem with losing stuff i'm afraid of these omnibus not surviving as well as others have in the past.

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks thats good advice. I should just leave the dust jackets off period and store them somewhere safe. I have a habit of letting people use my collection like a library and while I don't usually have a problem with losing stuff i'm afraid of these omnibus not surviving as well as others have in the past.
ohhhh no.
jTIziIX.jpg

I could never lend my books out like that

Hagi

I took the dust jackets off my B.R.P.D volumes and have no idea where they are. Probably put them in the bin. Dust Jackets suck though so whatever.

Top Bottom