• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservatives Freak Out About Django Unchained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instead, he wanted to do a tribute to the Obama fans of the world and pile on everyone else, somehow justifying the non-stop affirmative action, minority set-asides, and other race-based favoritism in America. He also wanted to give the hip-hop, single-mother, welfare-addicted, drug-using segment of our society something to feel good about . . . that they are better than the White “crackers,” who “did this” to them.
iTLepLR4eXne0.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I never said I had a problem with the joke. I dont. Just agreeing that its a double standard.

You seem upset that sometimes, a black person gets to say something that a white person that a white person wouldn't get away with, in this and in other threads. There's a ton of double standards between whites and blacks. Would you like for me to list all of them for you? I can assure you that the ability to get away with saying a few specific words or sentences is preeeeeeeeetty fucking low on the totem poll of double standards.

But hey, thank you for your highly enlightened commentary.

I really hate how context and intent are no longer used when looking at these so called "controversy's" when they pop up. Anyone who has seen the movie or even knows what its about shouldn't have an issue with what was said.

And as far as a double standard goes, if there is a historical period where blacks went onto systematically dehumanize and degrade white people, make a movie about it, and get your jokes in..........oh wait

220px-Birth_of_a_Nation_theatrical_poster.jpg

The film was a commercial success, but was highly controversial owing to its portrayal of African American men (played by white actors in blackface) as unintelligent and sexually aggressive towards white women, and the portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan (whose original founding is dramatized) as a heroic force. There were widespread protests against The Birth of a Nation, and it was banned in several cities. The outcry of racism was so great that Griffith was inspired to produce Intolerance the following year. The movie is also credited as one of the events that inspired the formation of the "second era" Ku Klux Klan at Stone Mountain, Georgia in the same year. The Birth of a Nation was used as a recruiting tool for the KKK. It was the first motion picture to be shown at the White House.
But the joke is the movie itself.

Pimpwerx

Great movie. As a black man, I'm not ashamed to say that I felt a tinge of satisfaction everytime Django killed a slave owner. It was revenge, and he was killing the bad guys. He didn't kill people for being white, so the outrage is completely misplaced. Django is a classic revenge movie, just that the theme this time was slavery, so the bad guys were largely white, instead of muslims or russians. PEACE.

Speaking of Drudge Report, why does he like Robert Griffin 3 so much now?
I don't know anything about this but I would guess because RG3 is always smiling and doesn't feel threatening to white people. He's not the "NBA thug" type that Drudge types are afraid of.

Great movie. As a black man, I'm not ashamed to say that I felt a tinge of satisfaction everytime Django killed a slave owner.
Nor should you feel ashamed; it's pulp. The movie uses hyperbole to get its themes across. It was the same with Basterds.

nib95

Banned
All this just makes Spike Lee's comments even more laughable. One side saying it's racist towards blacks, the other racist towards whites lol.

Sianos

For decades, Hollywood, U.S. textbooks and higher education have stressed that America was founded upon slavery, sexism and genocide.

Hmmmm, maybe historians say that because IT'S THE TRUTH.

The intent behind "returning to traditional America with traditional values" is most often a call for white male supremacy in disguise. Glad to see that mentality is slowly slipping off America, maybe we can all stop giving a shit who's what color.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Speaking of Drudge Report, why does he like Robert Griffin 3 so much now?

From Wikipedia:

Griffin is a Protestant Christian, who is known for making the sign of the cross after big plays. He has said, "my relationship with God was my most important influence... I praise God, I thank him for everything. Purposefully, you live every day for Him, and when He gives you the opportunity to speak up for Him or to do something in His name, you do it."

Wait... I thought only Catholics do the Sign of the Cross.

LuCkymoON

Banned
It happened such a long time ago; blacks should be happy that federal institutionalized discrimination ended in the 60s.

Fari

There was a thread on Stormfront a few years ago where posters argued whether or not it was appropriate for true conservatives to show their children The Lion King.

They couldn't decide whether the fact the film was set in Africa outweighed the fact that there weren't any black people.

The anger in this review is palpable. I wonder how the author felt about To Kill a Mockingbird, Roots, Amistad, or Mississippi Burning. Race baiting calls to violence? Or important slices of historical fiction?

I wouldn't even put Django up on that kind of pedestal, and I don't see why Tarantino should portray his antagonists in a flattering light in his revenge fantasies. The Nazis in Basterds and the slave owners in Django are absurdity personified, as they see themselves as enlightened and superior despite taking part in the basest of barbarism. If there are black Americans who can't see the movie without wanting to gun down white folk, and if there are white people who can't see the movie without seething in rage at "Obama' s America", that is the fault of the audience, not the film.

I don't remember nearly so much conservative outcry over Red Dawn.

YoungHav

Banned
There was a thread on Stormfront a few years ago where posters argued whether or not it was appropriate for true conservatives to show their children The Lion King.

They couldn't decide whether the fact the film was set in Africa outweighed the fact that there weren't any black people.
lmao amazing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
You are missing the point.

It is not about the character he played. It is about his "jokes" about being glad that he killed white people during an interview. That is racist no matter how you look it at it.

Again it is not about the character. As you said, white actors played characters that did worse things. A character is fiction. What he said during an interview was not.

Did Jaime Foxx gun down millions of white people after the movie finished filming? Oh you mean he was talking about the character. Duh.

Seriously grow up and stop nailing yourself to your fake cross.

You seem upset that sometimes, a black person gets to say something that a white person that a white person wouldn't get away with, in this and in other threads. There's a ton of double standards between whites and blacks. Would you like for me to list all of them for you? I can assure you that the ability to get away with saying a few specific words or sentences is preeeeeeeeetty fucking low on the totem poll of double standards.

But hey, thank you for your highly enlightened commentary.

Two wrongs don't make a right though - you shouldn't be reinforcing double standards.

I don't really get why a black person 'gets to say something that a white person wouldn't get away with', because I thought we'd all established it was a completely harmless joke?

BrettHD

Banned
Great movie. As a black man, I'm not ashamed to say that I felt a tinge of satisfaction everytime Django killed a slave owner. It was revenge, and he was killing the bad guys. He didn't kill people for being white, so the outrage is completely misplaced. Django is a classic revenge movie, just that the theme this time was slavery, so the bad guys were largely white, instead of muslims or russians. PEACE.

This is so damn true. This isnt a movie about a black guy killing white people even though
Django mentions that in the movie - its a revenge movie that just happens to have a black ex-slave protagonist. And its a Tarantino movie so its going to be way over the top.
Conservatives are so threatened by the change in US society and by their lessening influence that they are just lashing out at anything and everything.
And I fucking love it.
Btw I am a 46 yr old white dude and I loved the movie.

Measley

It must be a truly hellish existence to be a white nationalist in multiracial America.

For a good laugh, check our the white racist reaction to Heidi Klum popping out Seal's babies.

harmonize

They're both negatives, as it implies that the great white man hadn't shipped them all back to Africa at that time.

Either way, the film promotes a stress-free lifestyle with their "Hakuna Matata" number, and tolerance of people that look different than you with Timon and Pumbaa. Anoter medium that the liberal-communist Obama agenda is trying to brainwash you through. I give it three Lenins and half a Rosa Parks.

Trokil

Banned
Yes, white people did commit slavery, but according to the Help they also started the civil rights movement. So that's done.

Also what about those Muslim pirates (some of them where black) who enslaved all those white people during the middle ages, somehow that must be considered.

is there a sarcasm tag, I could add?

I'm not offended by Jamie Foxx's comments on SNL. I mean, it was said on a show that is known for comedy skits. Why are people taking it so seriously?

Is it racist that when I clicked on a video of Katt Williams commenting about Django Unchained and the Spike Lee thing that I got an advertisement for campbells fried chicken recipes? Youtube is F'n racist!!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Two wrongs don't make a right though - you shouldn't be reinforcing double standards.

I don't really get why a black person 'gets to say something that a white person wouldn't get away with', because I thought we'd all established it was a completely harmless joke?

Where were there two wrongs? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Do you truly think there is not an incredible chasm of contextual difference between:

A black actor saying "Sure felt good to kill all those white people."

compared to

A white actor saying "Sure felt good to kill all those black people."

If you can't see how wildly inappropriate one of those statements are in the context of history and minorities in American society, I don't think I could ever convince you.

NekoFever

I went looking for this thread and found one where someone complains that the villain is voiced by a white guy while all the good lions are voiced by blacks (apart from, you know, Simba), and also that Jeremy Irons sounds gay. Oh, and Zazu is a Jew because he has a hooked bill and goes around telling those in power what to do.

It offends some black people.

Spike Lee hasn't even seen it, and the vast Vast majority of black people who have seen it enjoy the fuck out of it.

The percentages are so small in the offended camp it shouldn't even be brought up in a meaningful discussion.

Do you truly think there is not an incredible chasm of contextual difference between:

A black actor saying "Sure felt good to kill all those white people."

compared to

A white actor saying "Sure felt good to kill all those black people."

If you can't see how wildly inappropriate one of those statements are in the context of history and minorities in American society, I don't think I could ever convince you.

I do think there's a chasm of contextual difference indeed.

But if we're talking about a harmless joke (e.g. humour) which means no ill, then why should that apply in such a straightforward way? How is that the sign of a modern tolerant society?

And no, I don't think Jamie Foxx is a racist lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom