• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservatives Freak Out About Django Unchained

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think there's a chasm of contextual difference indeed.

But if we're talking about a harmless joke (e.g. humour) which means no ill, then why should that apply in such a straightforward way? How is that the sign of a modern tolerant society?

And no, I don't think Jamie Foxx is a racist lol
I think VERY FEW white actors/comedians could say the line "Felt good to kill all those black people" without the risk of it coming across as horrifically distasteful.

...I bet Jimmy Carr could do it.

I think VERY FEW white actors/comedians could say the line "Felt good to kill all those black people" without the risk of it coming across as horrifically distasteful.

Probably, or a number of other comedians who bring race into their humour (i'm not well clued on comedians tbf)

But then, it's down to context I think. Obviously there are much stronger connotations to a phrase like that due to recent history, but I don't think that means there should be a blanket ban on people of a certain race from light heartedly joking then being branded horrendous bigots, which was what an earlier post in this thread implied.

also holy shit at that debbie thing lol

It could be done if there was an instance was a historical instance Black people attacking and dehumanizing a group of white people who had done nothing to cause such treatment.

The only film that came to mind was Zulu but that occurred because of British Imperialism

Do you truly think there is not an incredible chasm of contextual difference between:

A black actor saying "Sure felt good to kill all those white people."

compared to

A white actor saying "Sure felt good to kill all those black people."

If you can't see how wildly inappropriate one of those statements are in the context of history and minorities in American society, I don't think I could ever convince you.

I think it would depend on the context of the joke, as always. Black people aren't some ravenous horde ready to pounce on anyone who makes black jokes. How could Family Guy or Cleveland Show still be on the air if that were the case? Seth McFarlane "gets away with" poking fun at black america because he's funny, the audience is in on the joke, and the show doesn't pull punches for anyone.

This doesn't mean that Ernie Johnson gets to go on stage on Inside the NBA and just say "man, black people sure do suck at swimming. Rack City Bitches!"

Has anybody besides Spike Lee, being Spike Lee as usual, said anything?

Well I know it's anecdotal evidence and all, but I have family members who won't even see the movie because they don't like the n-word.

Then again, they are all in their mid-thirties to early-forties. Everyone around my age was pretty hyped.

Well of course, shadows are black.
iVxCGUUyluGIL.gif

tokkun

Although the race element is really in your face in the movie, I felt like the Marxist themes were more of a 'challenge' to modern conservatism.

It is a fucking fictional movie. Get over it. Next thing you know they'll be whining about a Muppets movie.

Oh, they already did that.

hooooooly shit. I can't believe this is actually real. This lady is nuts (after the killing of Osama, she blogged "1 down, 1.8 billion more to go"). I can't believe she actually gets published in major news outlets..

Sadly, that kind of talk is quite popular among a large subset of the population.

But yeah . . . it was basically an outright advocacy for genocide. How delightful.

Black people can say "Kill whitey" because there has never been any systematic oppression, discrimination, genocide, racism, etc. against whites in this or virtually any country in the history of modern civilization.

Not that anyone is saying that. It's just a movie.

someday

Banned
It offends some black people.
It offended ONE black person. Spike Lee only represents himself.

This quote from her Inglorious Basterd review:

"Yes, this movie is somewhat bloody and graphic (a couple of Nazi scalpings are shown as is a scene of “The Bear Jew” (Eli Roth) wailing on a Nazi’s head with a baseball bat–though that’s only briefly shown). But the violence is for a reason: it’s good against evil. And it’s thoroughly satisfying. I wish they showed even more. I don’t apologize for cheering on the killing of Nazis. They were inhuman. And the treatment they got in this movie is the same way we should treat all of our enemies, but simply don’t have the guts to do so. It’s fun to see the SS and Gestapo members get well-merited permanent reminders of their days wearing the swastika."

just shows how hypocritical she is. This violence is ok but blacks should just get over it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
This is so damn true. This isnt a movie about a black guy killing white people even though
Django mentions that in the movie - its a revenge movie that just happens to have a black ex-slave protagonist.

As I recall Django even hesitates before sniping the
wanted farm hand/father

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I checked Free Republic for reactions to this, but this is great.

Topic Creator said:
Has any one seen Django or Les Mis? I am thinking about going to the movies this weekend. I know Les Mis is a musical but I was thinking that the theatre might be full of single women.

I like the music in Django, but I am not a fan of any of thr Obamatrons in the film.

any insight to either movie?

And this is a bad thing?

Topic Creator said:
no, it is very good thing. my sister was on me again about not being married or at least dating.

The movie theatre is not a place to meet women, it is a place to take women after you meet them.

I wouldn’t go to Django if the theater is in an area populated by a certain demographic.

I really hate how context and intent are no longer used when looking at these so called "controversy's" when they pop up. Anyone who has seen the movie or even knows what its about shouldn't have an issue with what was said.

And as far as a double standard goes, if there is a historical period where blacks went onto systematically dehumanize and degrade white people, make a movie about it, and get your jokes in..........oh wait

220px-Birth_of_a_Nation_theatrical_poster.jpg

But the joke is the movie itself.

Off-topic but it is crazy the most racist film ever made is one of the most important.

Wazzim

Banned
The whole thing is silly, but this is pretty true:

“Imagine the uproar if a white actor joked about killing all the black people in a new film he was starring in.”

All hell would break loose and that actor would probably never find work again.
And rightly so.

Coins

Banned
I loved the movie but I admit I was disappointed that there wasn't a white American that was against slavery.

the most sympathetic and likable character in the movie is played by Christoph Waltz, so i'm just gonna go ahead and say whoever calls the movie "anti-white" hasn't seen it. though you might be able to make a case for "anti-white American", though i'm pretty sure that was irony and nothing more

"Django Unchained; Incitement to racially motivated murder," -I really really fucking resent this notion. The idea that Black people are so ignorant of the legacy of Slavery and Jim Crow that a fictional movie is going to magically cause us to collectively say "Oh, THAT'S what happened back then..." And go on a fucking murder spree is in and of itself racist beyond words. Serious, stop and think about what that insinuates....

It's the same sentiment that people use to argue that we shouldn't teach accurate history to school districts comprised of minorities. Because then the kids will get mad and revolt.

Folks, trust me...most Black people know what went down with slavery. A Quentin Tarantino flick heavy on the "N-Word" isn't going to alter that perception. Nor is it going to make us "rise up."

Klocker

Instead, he wanted to do a tribute to the Obama fans of the world and pile on everyone else, somehow justifying the non-stop affirmative action, minority set-asides, and other race-based favoritism in America. He also wanted to give the hip-hop, single-mother, welfare-addicted, drug-using segment of our society something to feel good about . . . that they are better than the White “crackers,” who “did this” to them. But, in fact, most Whites in America today, don’t come from that stock.

what a moron

oh, and it's like she never even watched the movie

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder what these people thought of Blazzing Saddles, where the only white guy who wasn't ignorant and/or evil was Jewish.

51OZcE2KeYL._SX500_.jpg

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Off-topic but it is crazy the most racist film ever made is one of the most important.

It is amazingly bad. The black characters (obviously they would not use black actors!) are hilarious the way they stumble and bumble around trying to catch the innocent white girl.

It is amazingly bad. The black characters (obviously they would not use black actors!) are hilarious the way they stumble and bumble around trying to catch the innocent white girl.
Yeah I know. Still doesn't take away that it is super important to the language of film.

I loved the movie but I admit I was disappointed that there wasn't a white American that was against slavery.

It was a small role, but there was a Marshall during the wintertime that seemed to be on very good terms with Schultz and Django. He even gave them cake!

Pussy. If you're going down this road, just use the word and forget the asterisks.

"Nigger. Nigger. Nigger, etc". I find it hilarious that they don't bother. We all know what the word is, man up if you're gonna go incendiary.

Also, I saw an interview with Tarantino on a BET show (which has four hosts, why the hell do you need four hosts) and he has the most hilarious white black guy voice ever.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You guys want an incitement to murder, check out GOODBYE UNCLE TOM.

It's a hoot.

I've seen Addio Zio Tom several times. Wrote a big paper on it in college. That's a wild movie, some really vile stuff, but then some glorious violence against white people.

I'd love to remind some of these conservatives watch some more contemporary movies, like The Spook Who Sat by the Door. Modern guerrilla warfare by African-Americans. That'll freak some people out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom