• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consortium: The Tower |KS| Deus Ex x Die Hard, a UE4-powered sci-fi immersive sim

nOoblet16

Remember Warren Spector once said that if he really could make any game he wanted then he'd build a game set in ONE city block? And that the game would be one of his simulation games where you could do everything that just makes sense normally and it would work. But he said that he probably would never get to make it as no one would get behind that idea.

Yea this is that game..even if it's not from Warren Spector.

Moobabe

Remember Warren Spector once said that if he really could make any game he wanted then he'd build a game set in ONE city block? And that the game would be one of his simulation games where you could do everything that just makes sense normally and it would work. But he said that he probably would never get to make it as no one would get behind that idea.

Yea this is that game..even if it's not from Warren Spector.

Email Warren Spector. Removed the fake email address just in case people get confused!

Moobabe

I actually didn't know about it until today and I backed it, didn't know there was a first game either. Sort of baffled that kickstarter campaigns can be so silent even for developers who've had past success.

What??

It probably isn't that! I was definitely joking!

Steel

Banned
John Walker (RPS) has an account here. Jason at Kotaku as well. Let's do this guys - fire off your begging PMs and let's get this game FUNDED.

(Also to the guys making it - any chance of a vertical slice? I know RPS in particular are mad keen on something to get their hands on or more videos of systems.)

There's enough time before the deadline for any interested writer to play the original Consortium, I suppose.

Reading the latest update, I have a concern.

Will the developers avoid the trope where the optimal ending turns out to be to reject, or even single-handedly destroy, both factions?

Steel

Banned
Reading the latest update, I have a concern.

Will the developers avoid the trope where the optimal ending turns out to be to reject, or even single-handedly destroy, both factions?

From what I've seen in the first Consortium, I trust them to be a lot more subtle than that.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I didn't see this until 5 minutes ago, and I instantly backed it based on the premise alone. Watched a bit of the pitch video, and was instantly sold.

Dineren

Banned
Well, I bumped up my pledge to the $150 level. I'm still hoping for a turnaround, it's really a shame how slow it is going right now.

I didn't see this until 5 minutes ago, and I instantly backed it based on the premise alone. Watched a bit of the pitch video, and was instantly sold.

If you haven't yet, you might check out the first game, it's really good!

Moobabe

Over 20k a day needed now. We need a miracle.

I wonder how much smaller the goal might be if they just focused on PC for the initial pitch? Just speculating, of course.

Developer commentary? Sold. Backed at $35.

consortium_backed_by_digi_matrix-d9qcnyb.png

Don't know if it'll make the goal, oh well.

Steel

Banned
Over 20k a day needed now. We need a miracle.

I wonder how much smaller the goal might be if they just focused on PC for the initial pitch? Just speculating, of course.

The goal is pretty low for a game of this type regardless. That being said, I really hope some people shine some rather large spotlights on this project, it really needs the love.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Looks neat. Reminded me I've been meaning to try out the original for a couple years now. Backed for $15.

Moobabe

I wonder if the goal would have been lower if it was PC only.

That's what I'm wondering too. I think lots of people aren't backing because they see the goal as "too high" and see that it's a long way off and think their pledge won't make much of a difference.

aravuus

Doing a multiplat release right away sounds like a big risk, I'd imagine releasing the game on three platforms instead of just one would cost quite a lot more than doing a PC-only release for now. Aren't other platforms usually stretch goals for this very reason?

Moobabe

Doing a multiplat release right away sounds like a big risk, I'd imagine releasing the game on three platforms instead of just one would cost quite a lot more than doing a PC-only release for now. Aren't other platforms usually stretch goals for this very reason?

I would assume so, but I'm not au fait with stuff like that.

I suppose the trade off is, by mentioning Xbone and PS4, you attract more potential backers.

You would think this would create a much bigger stir! The first game, while short, was great and had so many cool ideas - a bigger and better sequel would be amazing.

nOoblet16

Yea but I think you'd attract other platform owners even if there were to be a stretch goal, it's not much different than knowing that you are backing a project for your platform but not knowing if it's going to hit target or not (as in this case).

If only there was a way to make reddit notice this, it'd help then I think.

If only there was a way to make reddit notice this, it'd help then I think.

I know that they did make a post on the Kickstarter Reddit, although I think it simply got lost in the sea of many Kickstarter posts. But if there was certainly a way to gaming Reddit's their attention, it could have an impact.

Moobabe

I know that they did make a post on the Kickstarter Reddit, although I think it simply got lost in the sea of many Kickstarter posts. But if there was certainly a way to gaming Reddit's their attention, it could have an impact.

If you wanna make a post in there I'll keep an eye out and we can upvote it. The power of GAF, to get the power of Reddit to notice, to get the power of the internet to back.

A fool proof plan!

They're using Unreal Engine 4, which supports all three platforms (four including Mac) out of the box. Sure, there's some overhead to adjust things for the particularities of each platform, but I don't think that's a big part of the funding they're asking for. It's not like they could cut costs in half by releasing only on PC or anything.

Anyway, I tried to plug the game on my own forum, but no one commented. :\ It's not a gaming forum though, there's only a general video games thread, so reach would be fairly minimal even in a best case scenario...

prag16

Banned
Dammit. Backed on day one, then didn't check back in until now. This looks highly unlikely to succeed. :(

Moobabe

Dammit. Backed on day one, then didn't check back in until now. This looks highly unlikely to succeed. :(

What a ride you've missed!

Since you've backed we've gone from the lofty heights of "YAY! I'm so excited for this game"" to the lows of "Fuck..."

Miracles do happen though team.

epmode

This game has to be made. Die Hard + Deux Ex is too perfect to lose. Maybe another Kickstarter with some playable code? If only I had Notch money.

In other news, I'm sad that I won't be able to get the KS edition of the first game. I cheaped out on the original KS campaign so I only have a boring old standard Steam key and I've regretted it ever since.

Stike

Backed it so hard.

The first one was great, and they want to make a trilogy.

A DIE HARD SETTING FIRST PERSON RPG, WHATS NOT TO LOVE!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If the worst happens, I really hope the team doesn't let the disappointment get to them, I really want this to happen. Playing the first Consortium was some of the most refreshing tings I've done as a gamer in years and I'd be incredibly upset if The Tower never came to be because of a failed kickstarter.

Moobabe

If the worst happens, I really hope the team doesn't let the disappointment get to them, I really want this to happen. Playing the first Consortium was some of the most refreshing tings I've done as a gamer in years and I'd be incredibly upset if The Tower never came to be because of a failed kickstarter.

The latest backer update says there are plans in place to make the game if the Kickstarter does end up failing. I worry about what the sacrifices might have to be for those though.

EDarkness

I can relate. Once my Kickstarter failed it was hard to continue for a while, but luckily we planned on continuing to make the game even if we didn't get funded. There were a lot of sacrifices made and the game probably doesn't look as good or as unique as I want, but we'll be able to get it finished at some point. I hope they have a similar plan and don't have to cut too much in order for the game to be released. I wish them the best in any case.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The latest backer update says there are plans in place to make the game if the Kickstarter does end up failing. I worry about what the sacrifices might have to be for those though.

Sacrifices be damned, the game will be deeper than anything released the same year.

Top Bottom