• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consortium: The Tower |KS| Deus Ex x Die Hard, a UE4-powered sci-fi immersive sim

AngerdX

Yah this sucks ass, but i´ll keep my pledge and see where it goes, i so hope their plan b works out.

@GHG Don´t you go there :p

moniker

So disappointed this isn't getting funded. The devs have delivered before, the team seems great and they had a good KS campaign. It shouldn't have failed.

Moobabe

So disappointed this isn't getting funded. The devs have delivered before, the team seems great and they had a good KS campaign. It shouldn't have failed.

140k a day! YOU NEVER KNOW!

I hope they don't do something stupid to get this funded. Maybe go away, rethink the strategy, have a few more gameplay videos - cut consoles if it means you can lower the goal.

Early Access?

ekim

I hope they don't do something stupid to get this funded. Maybe go away, rethink the strategy, have a few more gameplay videos - cut consoles if it means you can lower the goal.

But why do they ask people to keep their pledges?

Early Access?
It's weird. Usually when a publisher steps in, the devs tend to cancel the campaign (i.e. Allison Road & Team17). Why would they wait to reveal what their plan is 12 hours before the campaign ends? The "radical" adjective is kind of worrying

Maybe it's some private investor and he wants to see how much money the campaign can gather before solidifying a deal, which would explain the 12 hour mark and why they don't want people to cancel their pledges

Moobabe

It's weird. Usually when a publisher steps in, the devs tend to cancel the campaign (i.e. Allison Road & Team17). Why would they wait to reveal what their plan is 12 hours before the campaign ends? The "radical" adjective is kind of worrying

Maybe it's some private investor and he wants to see how much money the campaign can gather before solidifying a deal, which would explain the 12 hour mark and why they don't want people to cancel their pledges

This is my feeling as well - the worry with private investors is what conditions they're willing to invest under; share of the profits? equity in the company itself? Not crazy about that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Early Access?

If they cut consoles then I'm pulling my pledge. I'm not backing something I can't play.

Very curious to see what they do and where they go. The update doesn't sound like a typical publishing deal.

Corto

Maybe a high profile collaboration instead and not a straight up publishing deal/angel investor? Either solution would be risky. I'll keep my pledge to the end.

PooBone

I backed this and got the first game as a perk. Installed it and it runs so horribly that it is categorically unplayable.

Not sure what to think about this next effort now.

CHC

Well this is shitty. Sounded great, but it was a steep goal after all. I hope that SOMETHING works out for these guys, they need a break after this.

epmode

I backed this and got the first game as a perk. Installed it and it runs so horribly that it is categorically unplayable.

I don't have a problem with the first game's performance but it's worth noting that Consortium 1 was built in the Source engine while The Tower will use Unreal Engine.

Moobabe

If they cut consoles then I'm pulling my pledge. I'm not backing something I can't play.

Very curious to see what they do and where they go. The update doesn't sound like a typical publishing deal.

I mean I get that - but I think consoles as a stretch goal is a better idea. It's a trade off though - a lower goal but lose potential backers.

Dineren

Banned
What an odd update. I've backed like 55 kickstarters and this is the first one I've seen with a mystery plan to secure funding as it wraps up. Regardless, I'll be keeping my pledge in place. I really hope whatever they're planning works out for them.

PooBone

I don't have a problem with the first game's performance but it's worth noting that Consortium 1 was built in the Source engine while The Tower will use Unreal Engine.

Even more flabberghasting that it runs so poorly. Any other Source game on my machine runs 60fps no problemo.

There was a bug with the first release that caused it to be nearly unplayable on many systems (including mine) due to something about the Source engine. They later fixed this bug after a lot of work on it, and it shouldn't be there any more. Are you sure your copy is completely patched?

LordCiego

Hope the plan goes well. I knew about the first game but only played when it went free the other day and its an exceptional game, i didnt expected to like it so much. The combat its not its main strenght, some objectives are not very clear sometimes and there are some janky parts.

Seeing the video its seems that this is bigger, has the same or more chat possibilities, has better combat and new movement mechanics, Only that would make it a superior game.

Its a shame that its not going to achieve its goal, lets see what the plan B is so we can get this.

Miletius

They say this isn't their radical plan, but it sounds fairly radical to me. Just received an email.

Pledge now, become eligible to become a SUPER BACKER...
Each and every one of you who has pledged at the Consortium Initiate level or higher on Kickstarter will not only be able to keep your pledge and rewards when the intermission period ends, but will eligible to become a SUPER BACKER with us.
What’s a Super Backer? It means that in the future all games released by iDGi in the Consortium Universe will be free for you. Forever. This will apply to all pledges made up until the ending of our Kickstarter campaign, so if you’re sitting at the $5.00 pledge, or on the fence about pledging, you’ve only got a limited time to take advantage of this. There will be some more information next week on how this will work from a technical standpoint.
We realize it may seem strange to back a campaign that isn’t going to succeed, but all will be revealed next week.

Wonder what else they have in store, if anything else.

daviyoung

Banned
The radical plan will reveal what's happening with our monies I guess. Not 100% clear on Kickstarter rules but I think we'll be asked to pay another way.

Moobabe

They say this isn't their radical plan, but it sounds fairly radical to me. Just received an email.

Interesting.. I wonder if they'll split development further? Given how this was, I think, supposed to be a trilogy - maybe they'll take the episodic approach to the release of The Tower - reducing the initial cost of development - but giving all backers access to all parts.

I backed it. This is the first time I've been compelled to back a game. I hope this gets made. It looks great; exactly what I like in a game.

Zafir

Yeah very surprising move.

I'm interested to see what happens.

I really do hope they still manage to get the funding required to make the game that they wanted to.

It's really tragic they didn't get enough visibility or traction.

It has be a private investor. That's the only thing that explains 1) the desire for people to not cancel their pledges, 2) the late reveal, 3) this ambitious game being made, 4) the notion that they'll be able to make those future equally ambitious games that one would get as a "Super Backer"

gabbo

So if you're above $5, you're in for this, and seemingly any and all their future Consortium related titles. I'm interested (and I guess I qualify), but I need a bit more inside baseball to be sure this is on the level - eg that it can be achieved.

pardon me if this is a real stupid question but: Are they no longer accepting pledges at the $20 level? I was interested in getting in on the future releases of Consortium but anything above $20 is a bit too rich for me

AHA-Lambda

pardon me if this is a real stupid question but: Are they no longer accepting pledges at the $20 level? I was interested in getting in on the future releases of Consortium but anything above $20 is a bit too rich for me

Yeah $20 and $22 were early bird tiers, so it's $25 for the game now.

szaromir

Banned
I don't think I understand this plan. If I declare my intention now (by pledging €17 to the KS campaign), then I pay the same amount somewhere else at some later point, I'm eligible to receiving for free all future Consortium games should they be made?

gabbo

I don't think I understand this plan. If I declare my intention now (by pledging €17 to the KS campaign), then I pay the same amount somewhere else at some later point, I'm eligible to receiving for free all future Consortium games should they be made?

It's not 100% clear from this part of the update how it's going to work:
Each and every one of you who has pledged at the Consortium Initiate level or higher on Kickstarter will not only be able to keep your pledge and rewards when the intermission period ends, but will eligible to become a SUPER BACKER with us.

What’s a Super Backer? It means that in the future all games released by iDGi in the Consortium Universe will be free for you. Forever. This will apply to all pledges made up until the ending of our Kickstarter campaign, so if you’re sitting at the $5.00 pledge, or on the fence about pledging, you’ve only got a limited time to take advantage of this. There will be some more information next week on how this will work from a technical standpoint.

We realize it may seem strange to back a campaign that isn’t going to succeed, but all will be revealed next week.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Okay what the hell I always have a soft spot for the worthy underdog.

This is all on faith, here. I launched the first game but didn't really play it when I found no controller support. Maybe time to invest some time with Xpadder and give it another go to see what I just backed. ;D

Unless you're Canadian it's worth noting the prices are in Canadian dollars, so they're significantly cheaper in USD.

ArjanN

This is all on faith, here. I launched the first game but didn't really play it when I found no controller support. Maybe time to invest some time with Xpadder and give it another go to see what I just backed. ;D

I saw the first game described somewhere as Deus Ex meets The Stanley Parable, and I think that mostly fits.

Steel

Banned
I have no idea what's going on but it sounds like good news.

Edit: It's worth noting that they answered a question in the comments that was asking if they found an investor or a publisher to get them the rest of the way. They answered: No.

Actually, the first game does have controller support. It's not very good controller support, mind you, but it's there.

Sounds like it could just be an extension of the campaign. Don't know how radical that would be, but regardless of how this plan shapes up, hope it results in the game becoming a reality.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Actually, the first game does have controller support. It's not very good controller support, mind you, but it's there.

Steam needs a damned icon for partial controller support, they don't have to be such sticklers about it. They end up conveying less useful info to me by insisting all functions be controller-handled before they bestow the icon.

I bought the game for the Star Trek vibe I was getting from it, I'm gonna give it a go this weekend, especially if I can play it from the couch.

Can I? Just need mouse/keyboard for starting the game?

AngerdX

I´m keeping my pledge and will up it a bit when we get the lowdown on this, i feel so bad this didn´t make it, so i´ll keep hoping. :)

Miletius

I have no idea what's going on but it sounds like good news.

Edit: It's worth noting that they answered a question in the comments that was asking if they found an investor or a publisher to get them the rest of the way. They answered: No.

Yeah, I am also optimistic. The worst that can happen is that my pledge money counts for something down the road.

Top Bottom