• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immersive sim Consortium: The Tower crowdfunding on FIG (100%; tier discounts inside)

Well, one of the tiers does include a beer tasting session with Greg. :p

Lol, guess that would make sense. Still, I was happy to see the article with a big name tied to it. It not only helps grab attention, but it can also alleviate some people's worries about a game and its crowdfunding when someone of authority is behind it as well.

So I started reading the updates, and they're cool and good, but uh, does the main bad guy really need to be a member of Al Qaeda with the surname of Bin Laden?

That seems a bit on the nose and makes me squirm just a bit

Everything else is rad at least

Bob-iDGi

Neo Member
So I started reading the updates, and they're cool and good, but uh, does the main bad guy really need to be a member of Al Qaeda with the surname of Bin Laden?

That seems a bit on the nose and makes me squirm just a bit

Everything else is rad at least

So, this is going to be a bit meta, and I apologize. I'm going to point you to...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/264240/discussions/3/620700961082646219/

This is the Human Timeline of the Consortium World, which has a similar, but very different 20th century. One thing to note is that in their world, 9/11 never happened, and Islamic based terrorism never really happened on the scale we see in ours. If you play Consortium, when this character is introduced most of the characters in game have no idea who he is.

The meta story behind the game is that you, as yourself, are remotely taking control of person in another universe. There are forces that are trying to screw with you, and one way they can do that is to utilize something that will cause an emotional impact with the person controlling Bishop 6. IE: You.

So, without that information it may seem on the nose. It's however part of the deeper meta-narrative of Consortium, and the impact on changing things in another universe.

Edit: I realize I never really introduced myself. My name is Bob, and I work for Interdimensional Games (the creators of Consortium). Specifically, I was one of the writers on the project, mostly responsible for the lore and background of the world. If you need to verify this, feel free to message me on Steam. I wrote the post I linked to, and I have a Developer tag on the Consortium forums on Steam.

^ Pretty neat! I like alternate historical timelines so thanks for that explanation! I can't think of another game where you are you in the game controlling someone else in an alternate universe.

Also, welcome!

epmode

^ Pretty neat! I like alternate historical timelines so thanks for that explanation! I can't think of another game where you are you in the game controlling someone else in an alternate universe.

It's a great hook. The other characters don't know that you've hijacked their squadmate so you have to be careful not to give yourself away.

So now that we have proof that a game that failed on Kickstarter can be better received on FIG, do you think this will bring more attention and such to FIG in the future? Indivisible succeeded on Indiegogo, but I don't think that really helped IGG much in the long run. That game's success was less because of IGG and more because Lab Zero worked their ass off during the campaign

But FIG has had niche indie darling Outer Wilds, long-awaited fan favorite Psychonauts 2, and now a crowdfunding comeback in Consortium. I think that's a pretty diverse and impressive portfolio so far, and the investment element is a major plus over other crowdfunding sites

Geedorah

Well, I just rebacked.

Super Backer status, here we go! Really hope it works out for everyone this time, game looks really good.

... I think that's a pretty diverse and impressive portfolio so far, and the investment element is a major plus over other crowdfunding sites

I was blown away by the transparency they've shown in the investment section. Really makes me excited to see other titles offer something similar. An eye-opening view on "how the sausage is made"

Less than 100k to go.

The IDGI team must be estatic to see this campaign moving so fast compared to the Kickstarter

---

This is something I'd love to see adopted by Kickstarter and IGG:

r066jX6.jpg

A clear list of supported platforms and a timeline that details what stage of development a game is in? That's something other crowdfunding sites could desperately use

Less than 100k to go.

The IDGI team must be estatic to see this campaign moving so fast compared to the Kickstarter

---

r066jX6.jpg

A clear list of supported platforms and a timeline that details what stage of development a game is in? That's something other crowdfunding sites could desperately use

I'd love to see Kickstarter have real and actualized investment options, instead of just doing tiers.

What a time to be alive.

Group playthrough of Consortium to celebrate?

You're on.

So now that we have proof that a game that failed on Kickstarter can be better received on FIG, do you think this will bring more attention and such to FIG in the future? Indivisible succeeded on Indiegogo, but I don't think that really helped IGG much in the long run. That game's success was less because of IGG and more because Lab Zero worked their ass off during the campaign

But FIG has had niche indie darling Outer Wilds, long-awaited fan favorite Psychonauts 2, and now a crowdfunding comeback in Consortium. I think that's a pretty diverse and impressive portfolio so far, and the investment element is a major plus over other crowdfunding sites

Perhaps, what effect do you think Rock Band 4's failure will have on the platform?

Less than 100k to go.

---

r066jX6.jpg

Yes, that's a good idea.

Kalor

It's good to see this getting close to the goal already. The investment options certainly help a lot for campaigns on Fig.

You're on.

Perhaps, what effect do you think Rock Band 4's failure will have on the platform?
Not much IMO. The campaign made ~ $800k, that's impressive for any crowdfunding site. It would have done worst on Kickstarter or IGG, because almost $600k of that was from investors, only $200k from regular pledges. If anything, even though that campaign failed, it also showed how attractive the investment side of FIG is.

Also I think the focus of that campaign worked against it. It wasn't a campaign to make Rock Band 4 happen, it was just one for a PC version of a released game that came out last year. The majority of the fans/audience probably already got the game on consoles in 2015; the urgency that usually drives a crowdfunding campaign wasn't there.

FIG is definitely going to be interesting going forward, on one hand you will get less regular backers (58K from backers in the first two days + 4 hours on FIg vs 57K on the first 36ish (since Kickstaq counts the passing of midnight as a new day and I can't remember what hour the KS started) on Kickstarter. While on the other hand you will have investors making up the difference plus more depending on how well it can appeal to them.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Fig numbers at this point

It's great that it's being funded so quickly compared to Kickstarter, but is it truly a positive that the vast majority are investors and not 'normal' donations? We're talking nearly a 75:25 split here

It's not saying it's bad or good, but it is eyebrow-raising. Consider this: their only other game, which was much smaller, didn't turn a profit. In fact, per the postmortem it made back only about half of what it cost to develop it

I'm having trouble reconciling that fact with the fact that there are so many more investors. I feel like we're missing something

I'm not sure how I feel about the Fig numbers at this point

It's great that it's being funded so quickly compared to Kickstarter, but is it truly a positive that the vast majority are investors and not 'normal' donations? We're talking nearly a 75:25 split here

It's not saying it's bad or good, but it is eyebrow-raising. Consider this: their only other game, which was much smaller, didn't turn a profit. In fact, per the postmortem it made back only about half of what it cost to develop it

I'm having trouble reconciling that fact with the fact that there are so many more investors. I feel like we're missing something
Every successful game on FIG has had that kind of split between investor and regular pledges, even Psychonauts 2. Psychonauts was 50:50, Jay & Silent Bob is 73:27, Outer Wilds was 59:41. It definitely is an interesting difference compared to KS and IGG

Labadal

My only issue with FIG is that some people might opt to invest even if they can't really afford it, thinking that they will get a good return. If these projects were "worth" investing in, someone would have done so. This might sound harsh, but I don't think every investor on FIG knows exactly what they are getting themselves into.

There were a few games on Kickstarter that I had invested in if it was possible (Pillars and Divinity: OS), but there aren't many campaigns I would have put in actual investment money, no matter how happy and excited I was. It's one thing to want to support a game via crowdfunding, it's a completely different thing to invest in that product and expect a return.

Every successful game on FIG has had that kind of split between investor and regular pledges, even Psychonauts 2. Psychonauts was 50:50, Jay & Silent Bob is 73:27, Outer Wilds was 59:41. It definitely is an interesting difference compared to KS and IGG

This is true, but I would perhaps disagree with your use of "successful" - there has yet to be a Fig game with a strong investor backing that has actually released, right?

Fig's model hasn't actually been proven to work yet. That seems pretty important when we're talking games backed with an investor majority

This is true, but I would perhaps disagree with your use of "successful" - there has yet to be a Fig game with a strong investor backing that has actually released, right?

Fig's model hasn't actually been proven to work yet. That seems pretty important when we're talking games backed with an investor majority
Successful, as in successfully funded. I'm just used to labeling games as success or failed over in the crowdfunding thread

jman2050

My only issue with FIG is that some people might opt to invest even if they can't really afford it, thinking that they will get a good return. If these projects were "worth" investing in, someone would have done so. This might sound harsh, but I don't think every investor on FIG knows exactly what they are getting themselves into.

There were a few games on Kickstarter that I had invested in if it was possible (Pillars and Divinity: OS), but there aren't many campaigns I would have put in actual investment money, no matter how happy and excited I was. It's one thing to want to support a game via crowdfunding, it's a completely different thing to invest in that product and expect a return.

The investment buy-in is relatively low at $250, so I wonder if it's a case where those who are investing aren't necessarily doing so with the expectation of profit but rather just to ensure the game gets made with the promise of possible reimbursement depending on how the game performs.

The Wart

The investment buy-in is relatively low at $250, so I wonder if it's a case where those who are investing aren't necessarily doing so with the expectation of profit but rather just to ensure the game gets made with the promise of possible reimbursement depending on how the game performs.

That's really the only explanation I can think of for why this has thrived on Fig after bombing on KS -- that it's attracting mostly the same audience as the KS, but that audience feels comfortable putting in much more money if they'll make at least some of it back. It would be interesting to know what proportion of Fig backers were previously KS backers.

The genre might have something to do with it as well. Superfans of immersive sims like System Shock and Deus Ex must be, on average, in their early 30s by now? That crowd might also be unusually tech-savvy. So that demographic might feel financially secure enough to throw a fair chunk of change at something like this.

Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong with this campaign, I wonder if this will encourage future higher budget Kickstarter failures ($100K-$500K) to FIG to try their luck on a different styled funding site. I'm saying future since most of those failures either got outside funding elsewhere or the game is dead.

Pachael

It should, and dispels the notion that a second crowdfunding effort after a first failure will fail too - it just shows that the focus on the fundraising has to be slightly different. I'm still a tad skeptical on the 'investment' part of Fig though I've always liked its idea (like for Project CARS which I semi regret not backing it)

epmode

$232K and counting. I don't want to jinx it but it looks like it'll happen!

Thread could use more views in any case. Very few developers are making immersive sims so I figure a lot of people on the forum would be interested if they only knew about it. Console versions are coming too!

Moobabe

Thread could use more views in any case. Very few developers are making immersive sims so I figure a lot of people on the forum would be interested if they only knew about it. Console versions are coming too!

I am a happy man. I'm loading up GoG Galaxy right now to play the first!

Was at $219K when I looked this morning, nice to see this still moving at a solid pace

Top Bottom