• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consortium: The Tower |KS| Deus Ex x Die Hard, a UE4-powered sci-fi immersive sim

aravuus

I will fund it fully if I happen to win the lottery this weekend

But, you know, the chance of me winning big is around one in fifteen million, so.. Fingers crossed!

Lumine

It's been looking that way for a while - I don't understand the internet sometimes - was the reception of the first game so poor? Do people not want a game like this? Are people just not seeing it?

I'm assuming not enough people have actually played the first one. $450k might have been a bit high for an IP so obscure honestly. Shame though, I enjoyed the first one and I'd love to see this game happening.

It's been looking that way for a while - I don't understand the internet sometimes - was the reception of the first game so poor? Do people not want a game like this? Are people just not seeing it?

What burns me is that I see some websites which talk about Kickstarter campaigns, often for JRPG clones or visual novels, but when a game like Consortium: The Tower shows up, which is looking to do something different and with a development team which has published a game prior, it gets nothing. Not even a simple article.

Honestly, what I think would be a great promotion for Consortium in general is to have famous YouTube personalities get a chance to play the original. There's practically no presence on YouTube for the game, yet it seems so perfect because it's a game where choices matter and each player could experience something completely different. Plus, you don't have to delve into the heavy lore if you don't want to, since the game can allow you to "go with the flow" due to the nuances of your situation as "Bishop 6".

Maybe not seeing it. I never heard of the original, let alone this sequel until today.

foxtrot3d

Banned

To be fair the first game was very short and ended on a massive cliffhanger just as things were getting interesting.

epmode

This thread keeps making me sad. I've backed a ton of projects but very few have such a great hook. And the developers have already proven they can move mountains with relatively little funding. The Tower has to happen.
I'm surprised that this didn't hit it big. It really seems to have all the right stuff.

The only thing I can imagine is that a playable demo would help, like Indivisible. That's a big ask though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This thread keeps making me sad. I've backed a ton of projects but very few have such a great hook. And the developers have already proven they can move mountains with relatively little funding. The Tower has to happen.

The only thing I can imagine is that a playable demo would help, like Indivisible. That's a big ask though.

The first Consortium's been free multiple times though and is essentially a demo for what's to come :(

Moobabe

Once my credit card clears, I'm backing this game. I really hope they pull of a miracle because this REALLY needs to happen!

Money doesn't get taken until the game is funded (if you weren't sure) - but you're right. This needs to happen more than any other Kickstarter ever.

Tcab96

Gaming community, where you at?

I see all the trailers and can only think:

4VfTtwh.gif

Original was incredibly obscure. Only came across it myself due to a random thread in GAF.

Walpurgis

Banned

I've actually never heard of The Consortium until this Kickstarter. While I don't have any interest in the first game since it's ugly, this one looks insane. I'm really shocked at the lack of funding. I always thought these kind of games were popular.

ArjanN

What does Dean Hall have to do with anything?

Nothing. He's confused with some other game I guess.

I've actually never heard of The Consortium until this Kickstarter. While I don't have any interest in the first game since it's ugly, this one looks insane. I'm really shocked at the lack of funding. I always thought these kind of games were popular.

I think it's still just a lack of exposure. A lot of the really successful crowdfunding stuff relied on established old franchises coming back, and without that or a real PR budget there's a much larger element of luck to your thing happening to catch on or not.

That said, IMO the first game is worth checking out even if you think it's ugly, since that's not really core to what makes the game interesting anyway.

Why should we? That thief Dean Hall should fund it with all the money he has taken from Day Z and international workers he has underpaid.

The hell?

Consortium has absolutely NOTHING to do with Dean Hall or DayZ. Please don't drag that shit in here, the game is having enough trouble being funded without confusion over a non-existent controversy.

Moobabe

The hell?

Consortium has absolutely NOTHING to do with Dean Hall or DayZ. Please don't drag that shit in here, the game is having enough trouble being funded without confusion over a non-existent controversy.

Yeah let's leave that shit out of here - let's go back to desperately chatting in the hope some rich gaffers see this thread and back!

I really hope some developer is able to take these same ideas and systems to successfully make a Deus Ex-like. Starved of such choice. Being able to talk down anyone into not killing you is something not even Deus Ex did. Maybe just SWAT 4.

Big Nikus

I'm playing the first one and I love it. I've backed The Tower and shared the Kickstarter page on FB, even though it won't help much.
Please, rich gaffers, you're our only hope.

The first always looked interesting, but I don't game on pc at all really. I think the name is pretty bad. A rebranding might help. Die hards of the original will follow regardless...I'll keep my eye on this and may back it. The concept is really cool so I hope they can make the game even if initial funding fails

nOoblet16

Oh btw I had this email last week when they got a shout from Obsidian, donno if you guys who backed it read it:

Hello everyone,

First off - we know that projections don't look great. But we have a few more tricks up our sleeves that could help us boost traffic and interest in our project during the final half of this campaign. The key here is to hold on and keep the faith. Even the worst case scenario here will eventually result in The Tower getting made, and ALL backers of this project will have a special status with us moving forward, no matter what...

It is kind of weird that this project has had little exposure despite having the support from two popular developers, both of whom have had great kickstarter success and a good reputation in the industry.

Walpurgis

Banned
I think it's still just a lack of exposure. A lot of the really successful crowdfunding stuff relied on established old franchises coming back, and without that or a real PR budget there's a much larger element of luck to your thing happening to catch on or not.

That said, IMO the first game is worth checking out even if you think it's ugly, since that's not really core to what makes the game interesting anyway.

I think you've nailed it here. Unknown IP + Unknown developers results in this. It's sad but I think they said they have a plan B. Hopefully that works out.

As for the first game, I managed to get it free on GOG so I might give it a look.

15strong

I feel bad for the creators because they seem like really need Kickstarter. They are not just using it for playing publicity or to get extra money. And they did everything right, including showing awesome prototype gameplay that proves they have what it takes to get the game done. Not to mention the pedigree of releasing a game prior to the campaign.

These are the types of games and devs that need to get support the most on Kickstarter. Yet time and time again you see larger studios being the only ones successful.

Moobabe

I feel bad for the creators because they seem like really need Kickstarter. They are not just using it for playing publicity or to get extra money. And they did everything right, including showing awesome prototype gameplay that proves they have what it takes to get the game done. Not to mention the pedigree of releasing a game prior to the campaign.

These are the types of games and devs that need to get support the most on Kickstarter. Yet time and time again you see larger studios being the only ones successful.

That's what's the most galling I think. I've seen Kickstarters get funded 300%+ based on the names of the staff involved with NO images, NOTHING and then fans get screwed over.

The only thing this is lacking, if anything, is a playable chunk or maybe another gameplay video.

Big Nikus

...and more !
I had never been so bummed with a KS not reaching its goal, let alone so far from it...
I hope they find a way to make the game, I'm absolutely loving the first one right now.

And I hope that if they get to make the third one, they'll call it Consortium: Conundrum.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idgi/consortium-the-tower/posts/1491543

Hello everyone,

Other than comments on the main thread, I know we have been mysteriously silent. This IS NOT because we've given up hope and are resigned to the fairly obvious state that this particular campaign is headed for....

We have been working furiously on a rather radical plan. The key to this plan, though, is that you backers hold onto your pledges. The only way you will be charged any money here is if the campaign suddenly has a couple hundred thousand CDN dollars pumped into it, which, while technically not impossible, is rather unlikely.

So, all we can say is TRUST US - resist the urge to cancel your pledge, we have found a way to continue full steam ahead and you will learn of this plan approximately 12 hours before the end of this campaign (or earlier)....

Believers that hold onto their pledges will have the most to gain from this new strategy. Keep the faith everyone!!! :)

Sincerely,

-iDGi and The Tower team

What do you guys think it could be? Maybe a publishing deal?

Moobabe

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idgi/consortium-the-tower/posts/1491543

What do you guys think it could be? Maybe a publishing deal?

It certainly sounds like it - come on Sony! STEP IN!

...and more !
I had never been so bummed with a KS not reaching its goal, let alone so far from it...
I hope they find a way to make the game, I'm absolutely loving the first one right now.

And I hope that if they get to make the third one, they'll call it Consortium: Conundrum.

This will be the only Kickstarter I've backed that won't have made it. My perfect record will be gone.

Top Bottom