• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition |OT| Boosting Towards Obliteration

eUu2Jdk.png

aXtaWzyl.png

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition is the long-awaited port of the until now Japan-exclusive arcade shooter for NESiCA Live. Originally a doujin (“indie”) game, Crimzon Clover made waves after its PC disc release in 2011 for its addictive scoring system, over-the-top visuals, aggressive bosses and scrupulous level design. Almost a year after its release in Japanese game centers, Crimzon Clover is still the most popular shooter in arcades, thanks to some of the brilliant modes added in this version, namely: the breakneck speed of Boost Mode, and the overwhelming annihilation of Time Attack Mode.

Given the health of the industry, the arcade version and by extension "World Ignition" is possibly one of the last “great arcade shooters”, built for a challenging one credit clear, but with scoring intricacies that can be explored for years. And in just a week, it's coming to PC worldwide.​

• Release Date: June 7th, 2014
  • Platform: Steam
  • Price: USD $9.99
    EUR €7.33
    CAD $10.92
    GBP £5.97
  • Languages: English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Portugese
  • Developer: Yotsubane
  • Publisher: Degica
eoGGaDul.png

gWBoTCgl.png

TYPE-I
B9ZRGU2.png

The classic Crimzon Clover, with a somewhat wide shot and lasers for lock-on weapons. Its lasers are the quickest of the standard ships and have great damage efficiency. Your standard, dependable ship.

TYPE-II
fEoTkEL.png

A quicker ship with tracing options that fire homing missiles when locked on, with more power than TYPE-I, but less firing speed.
Known as the "trickier" of the three default ships, TYPE-II is better used when you've gotten a handle on the basic game mechanics.

TYPE-III
ulegIhn.png

Quick as lightning, TYPE-III darts around the screen effortlessly and enjoys some of the highest firepower in the game. It is however a bit tricky to control, plus its lock-on shot is limited: a focused “sniper shot” with somewhat slow reload times.​

pEGOqdql.png

ieeillrQt2Ln0.gif

The assault on heaven begins.
Crimzon Clover's Steam release includes all the frenetic arcade modes mentioned above, plus a few new bells and whistles.

For instance, the Original and Unlimited modes are carried over from the original Doujin release, but there have been a lot of tweaks to balance and enemy positioning to give them an arcade difficulty curve.

Original:
Your standard difficulty, somewhat heavy on the bullets.
Most likely the place to start when you pick up the game and certainly the most popular mode among Japanese and western players from the original doujin release.

Unlimited:
A mode strictly for advanced players.
High difficulty, high bullet intensity and speed.

dGtpIyNl.png

The previously arcade-exclusive modes are as follows:

Boost Mode:
The better you score, the faster it gets.
A merciless sped-up train that takes you right over the cliff.
Warning: this mode may cause you to time travel involuntarily.

th1lsZz.png

Time Attack Mode: Kill as many enemies as you can within the allotted time.
You’ve got infinite lives (!), but if you die too much you’ll miss critical time bonuses and run out of time before you can beat it.
This particular mode has a calamitous amount of enemies, and is possibly the most overwhelming in the game when played at a high level.

EdjGSUa.png

Novice Mode (New to the Steam release):
A mode for beginners with less bullets and less chaos.
Get your feet wet here before jumping into Original.

Training Mode (New to the Steam release):
Train on specific stages to “boost” your score.

Other Features:
Steam achievements, leaderboards and Steam Cards.
Tate option available!​

LTYNsl7l.png

Lock and roll baby.
The Crimzon Clover scoring system is simple as pie.

Step 1: Lock On
Press the lock button to lock onto enemies with your radar. This will hit them with a powerful attack once you release it, but hold off for a sec. Try to get the green multiplier number on the right side of the screen as high as you can, by locking onto as many enemies/enemy parts as possible.

dZRbzou.png

Step 2: Shoot
Release the lock button and let your weapons fly. Any enemies killed will have the green multiplier number applied to their point values. This multiplier will also last until the timer underneath it runs out. The more enemies killed, the longer the timer remains active, so lock, shoot, rinse and repeat!

mWv4uOk.png

Step 3: Break
When your break gauge is full, you can trigger Break Mode, which gives you a swiftly escalating multiplier and a lot more firepower. Use this to crank up your score and earn extra lives to survive the onslaught ahead.

Also, if you destroy enough enemies and manage to earn another break meter while in Break Mode…

Step 4: Double Break
…hit the Break button again to trigger Double Break mode, which is even more powerful than normal Break Mode in terms of damage, and can achieve some truly massive multipliers. While this mode is activated you're sure to tear through any enemies in your way. The only drawback to the Double Break is that aerial enemies will spit out a lot more bullets, and you won’t be able to bomb while it’s active. Also note that you can't Double Break in Boost Mode.

eeSSwkKl.png

Bottom line: pump up the multiplier, and crank dat score.
Repeat the steps above until you get this:

O46sJJc.png

Other Tips:
The closer you get to enemies, the more damage you will do with your shot. This can be helpful on some bosses.

Bosses have lots of parts to destroy for big score bonuses. If you’re confident enough, take them apart bit by bit.

Once destroyed, bosses and mid-bosses will drop a revolving wheel that offers you either a bonus to your "star count" (which determines when you get an extra life), a reset for your bomb meter, or a full Break gauge. If you're down to one life, a 1UP item will also pop up. Make sure you can time when and where you grab these items, otherwise you might eat a bullet while zooming up to grab them.

ta8ueBHl.png

Ready for this. I absolutely love the original and i played the NESiCA version on Hey in December. Yotsubane is probably the only... company? who can keep the Cave spirit in Japan now.

Tizoc

No offense but what's up with some people not having OT titles written properly? Mods will fix them up eventually. The usual way is:

At any rate, will this have a demo? Want to try it out before buying it, if I don't like it...I'll prob. support by making a giveaway.

Everybody that's picking this game up should sub to this thread because once the E3 shitstorm hits you better believe it won't be on the first page, lol.

No offense but what's up with some people not having OT titles written properly? Mods will fix them up eventually. The usual way is:

Ah, wasn't even aware of that. My bad.
PMed a mod, hopefully they'll switch it.

At any rate, will this have a demo? Want to try it out before buying it, if I don't like it...I'll prob. support by making a giveaway.

No demo coming as far as I've heard.

gngf123

I can see myself buying this. Looking forward to it.

Now, if only I could beat Ikaruga in the next week that would be nice.

Tizoc

Everybody that's picking this game up should sub to this thread because once the E3 shitstorm hits you better believe it won't be on the first page, lol.

That would require for GAF to actually not be down throughout E3. =V
Shame about no demo, since I'm really bad at bullet hells haha.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks for the OT. The game looks great, though I'm still not sure if I'll pick this up day 1, I don't play much on PC. Maybe if $9.99 doesn't equal €9.99.

I'm not the biggest bullet hell fan (will always prefer the Thunder Force's, Gradius's and Raystorm's of the world) but I will support this game. I want more shmups and japanese games in general on steam. This game does look quite nice and shoot...I have plenty of card money to pay for it too!

I'm pretty excited for this. I've been playing the original game over the last few days as a warm up; hopefully I can put a decent run together before this drops. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing all of the changes they made for the arcade release, and I'm especially looking forward to TATE.

linid0t

All of my hype
Stick at the ready
Ikaruga AND Crimzon Clover Steam releases this year - 2014 year of shmups (for west)

Durante

I just learned about this game in the current Steam thread. Looks really good.

The Steam page shows the local coop icon. Is that supported in all modes?

shaowebb

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh God I am so fucking excited for this. The game stomped my ass, but knew just how to make the experience one that made you actually love it and get better. Folks who got hooked on the genre via Jamestown forcing you to go back and play and unlock things knows how well that game dangled a carrot and made you want to improve. Well Crimzon Clover does it and is a waaaaaaaaaaay crazier time too!

Want more lives? Get high scores and buy them for the next run. Want a ship? Get high scores and buy them for the next run. Want to replay and practice stages? Get high scores and buy them for the next run.

You earned everything in Crimzon Clover and it always made a tangible impact on the player that they were progressing. And holy fucking shit Double Break Mode is the hypest thing I have ever experienced in a game.

BUY THIS.

It is quite likely one of the top 3 shmups ever made IMO. Seriously...I now announce Double Break Mode vocally and its a moment so hype my wife is like "Fuck Yeah!" and stops what she's doing just to watch the glory of all the points and bullets when it happens. Shit is just that hype.

Wonko_C

I seriously tried to like this game as I've become a fan of Cave shooters, and everyone claims this is just like them. But I ended up not enjoying it, something felt off about the whole game and te graphics seemed to use too much dithering instead of solid colors. (I loved Danmaku Unlimited 2 and felt it emulated the Cave style well, though. unrelated I know.)

I'll give it a second chance now that it's the supposedly improved arcade release and it now has tate mode. (A big plus for me)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is going to be pretty rad, though I wish it'd come out on a disc or at least Playism, too.

Either way, it's remarkable how far it's come since it was just some dinky doujin ripoff of Dodonpachi DFK.

BOTEC

Looking forward to specs needed to run this game. Gonna have to buy/make a PC so I can play it.

The specs are listed at the bottom of the Steam page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/285440/

Nothing too crazy. Something like this will have no problem running the game perfectly:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...rive/2999138.p?skuId=2999138&id=1219085625387

@adversesolutions: The official Degica press page you linked to lists the price as US$4.99, with the other currencies adjusted to match. A very elaborate typo, or are we going to be pleasantly surprised on June 6th?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I spent 5 times as much on the original version just a few months ago.

Not even mad. It's so good.

@adversesolutions: The official Degica press page you linked to lists the price as US$4.99, with the other currencies adjusted to match. A very elaborate typo, or are we going to be pleasantly surprised on June 6th?

My current theory is that the Degica page's prices are just wrong.
The price that Remembrance pointed out a few posts down was quoted by a dev on the forum, and frankly selling this game at 4.99 would be crazy. Currently I'm going with the most expensive price quoted so as not to get anybody's hopes up. We might have to wait until the release date to find out for sure though.

BOTEC

My current theory is that the Degica page's prices are just wrong.
The price that Remembrance pointed out a few posts down was quoted by a dev on the forum, and frankly selling this game at 4.99 would be crazy. Currently I'm going with the most expensive price quoted so as not to get anybody's hopes up. We might have to wait until the release date to find out for sure though.

It would be crazy... crazy AWESOME. But even at $10 it's a fantastic deal. I paid $30 for the comiket version and that game is worth every penny.

Mr.McFist

I'm so excited - I have wanted to play this badly, so much so that I almost bought a physical copy of the original pc release a few months ago for $150 after finding out that it was out of print..... glad I waited.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My laptop probably can't run it and I'm going to be travelling for 2 months. Still, day 1. I want more bullet hell on Steam.

microfolk

How is it possible that I didn't know anything about this holy crap I'm so happy.
Day one for me too, it seems like the only game I care to buy on release are shmups like Ikaruga.

Jockel

I intend to purchase this video game and look forward to it.
Loved this game since the first (alpha?) demo back in wheneveritlaunched.

Tain

fuck yes I'm ready. Never been so hyped for a doujin STG, but I guess it's super-official ever since the Nesica release.

To PC-only people that might not play a lot of these games: don't use continues, they are lame and make the game way worse.

gngf123

fuck yes I'm ready. Never been so hyped for a doujin STG, but I guess it's super-official ever since the Nesica release.

To PC-only people that might not play a lot of these games: don't use continues, they are lame and make the game way worse.

I think the rule should be don't continue spam. Using one or two is fine as long as you are using it to see ahead and come up with some early ideas on how to beat things. Once you have done that you can then try to go crazy with a 1cc.

Haven't played this game yet, but that's pretty much how I've approached shmups over the years.

GooeyHeat

Step 4: Double Break
…hit the Break button again to trigger Double Break mode, which is even more powerful than normal Break Mode in terms of damage, and can achieve some truly massive multipliers. While this mode is activated you're sure to tear through any enemies in your way. The only drawback to the Double Break is that aerial enemies will spit out a lot more bullets, and you won’t be able to bomb while it’s active. Also note that you can't Double Break in Boost Mode.

eeSSwkKl.png
I am entirely ready to yell "DOUBLE BREAK MOOOOOOOODE" across my house the first time I achieve that.
And the second.
And every time after that.
Bottom line: pump up the multiplier, and crank dat score.
Repeat the steps above until you get this:

O46sJJc.png
Well, I'm sold.

Degica site was updated with what looks like final pricing:

http://press.degica.com/sheet.php?p=crimzon_clover

USD $9.99
EUR €7.33
CAD $10.92
GBP £5.97

Adding this to the op.

Incidentally, I think the game is going to drop a little earlier than 6/7, as that's the Japanese date that Yotsubane was publicizing. Should be releasing at some point late 6/6 for US and EU I imagine. Can anybody check the release timer on American or EU Steam?

mannerbot

Adding this to the op.

Incidentally, I think the game is going to drop a little earlier than 6/7, as that's the Japanese date that Yotsubane was publicizing. Should be releasing at some point late 6/6 for US and EU I imagine. Can anybody check the release timer on American or EU Steam?

It's always had a stated release of June 6th for the US store. Should release at 10 AM Pacific.

Jucksalbe

Banned
€7.33 is great, will get it right away for that price.

It says midnight (CET).

BOTEC

Adding this to the op.

Saw that a few days ago,and made me smile. I'M ON TO YOU DEGICA! Fix your dedicated web address that resolves in an error while you're at it...

And as of this post, it's 18 hours away (North America, EST). So close...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Adding this to the op.

Soon-honey-bear-bottle.jpg

Cant wait! I wonder if my 360 arcade stick will work on the PC for this...hmm must try it out.

Top Bottom